Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I said the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

“Miracle Molly” really sounds like slang for a drug to me and I can’t figure out if that’s on purpose

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

vegetables posted:

“Miracle Molly” really sounds like slang for a drug to me and I can’t figure out if that’s on purpose

It's cause Molly is already slang for x.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The new Titan names are extremely dumb and ring of death fodder. Characters whose existence is purely to die for dramatic effect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xelkelvos posted:

The new Titan names are extremely dumb and ring of death fodder. Characters whose existence is purely to die for dramatic effect.

Isn't that the main function of Titans in general?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Can't forget to kill off a young gay character before giving him a single line of dialogue. It's the Titans way!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that the main function of Titans in general?

In this issue a Titan dies! And in the next issue....a Titan dies! And in the stunning conclusion....a Titan Dies! Then, suffering from the fallout from the epic All These Dead Titans event the Titans come together to grieve and give each other comfort, just in time for another Titan....to Die!

Madkal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 10, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Seems like after a while people would just not want to join the titans

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I think you get to bone a bunch sometimes?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Join the Titans? That's a death sentence!
If I ever wrote a Titans comic I would create a character named Redshirt.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's been some Titans teams without a casualty count so sometime you get luck and join with that team before they break up

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Bendis Young Justice isn’t bad, but it lacks any excitement that a good teen targeted book needs. The Teen Titans cartoon was so drat popular, it shouldn’t be such a problem to get a fresh creative team. Give the fandom some red meat like they’re doing with the X-Men these days. Give the young heroes wins instead of just killing them or aging them up.

A Damian/Jonathan Teen Titans as an extension of Super Sons would have been amazing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, if the YJ reboot had been Teen Lantern, Jinny Hex, Damian, Jonathan, maybe Naomi as the big sister type and throw in one of the Shazam kids, boom, you've got a title that hits the feel of the original, instead of just having to be 'the original line up', which immediately kills the original purpose. It's basically the bad kind of nostalgia-driven reboot, where it's 'let's literally make it the thing I miss', instead of 'let's capture the FEEL of the thing I miss, but with today's tools'.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It looks very much like they're gonna have the old TV show team but with some new people for them to mentor while also shovelling in references to the original TT cartoon at least based on what Future State is showing. That they had other members loving with the H-Dial while holding Miguel back from it was extremely hosed

radlum
May 13, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Miracle Molly is just Tynion's Cyberpunk PC right?

Yeah...and the name is clearly a drug reference, but in a way that sounds very "how do you do fellow kids?".

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I read every Future State first issue but I can't bring myself to read the second because none of them stood out enough to make me remember which of three out of the five million books I actually liked.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I read every Future State first issue but I can't bring myself to read the second because none of them stood out enough to make me remember which of three out of the five million books I actually liked.

It is was Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, and uhh... Huh...

I have to say that as positive as I was on lots of the Future State #1 (much more than I expected to be certainly) I think I have been let down by the ending to all of them. The novelty of the future wore off nearly instantly, especially the Gotham adjacent stuff. There are some good ideas here and there, but all the spectaculators going wild for Red X stuff is even funnier after reading that trash fire.

This all makes me wary about Marvel's Future State, Heroes Reborn. I think it will be better but just as skippable. Hopefully my customers will be as willing to buy in as they were for Future State.

If I had to pick a third book, Justice League was fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wonder Woman worked mostly because the future stuff was all but irrelevant. You could have done that in the regular WW title with Diana and very little would change.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Gaz-L posted:

Wonder Woman worked mostly because the future stuff was all but irrelevant. You could have done that in the regular WW title with Diana and very little would change.

Yeah but you couldn't ship Superman II with Brazillian Wonder Woman otherwise :V

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Reading more Future State "endings" and getting sadder and sadder about how this industry is.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

my library got a collection of Nelson Bridwell/Ramona Fradon Super Friends comics and I gotta say it's nice to read a story where Scarecrow is just trying to rob Bruce Wayne's penthouse by making Batman be afraid of the dark and not murdering an old folks home to make their skin into a big coat first or whatever

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Reading more Future State "endings" and getting sadder and sadder about how this industry is.

I used to get bummed about not being able to read pretty much everything as it came out week to week. These days I tend to only read whatever my friend lends me or whatever new cheap trades I score at Ollies and I've never been happier as a comic book fan.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman were good, almost great. Everything else Future State was at best underwhelming, and at worst page fillers so they could charge their :10bux:. Good to see Morrison Lantern #11 come out this week so we can start getting back to our regular programming.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pioneer42 posted:

Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman were good, almost great. Everything else Future State was at best underwhelming, and at worst page fillers so they could charge their :10bux:. Good to see Morrison Lantern #11 come out this week so we can start getting back to our regular programming.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

my library got a collection of Nelson Bridwell/Ramona Fradon Super Friends comics and I gotta say it's nice to read a story where Scarecrow is just trying to rob Bruce Wayne's penthouse by making Batman be afraid of the dark and not murdering an old folks home to make their skin into a big coat first or whatever

The worst part is it would probably be a very ugly coat too.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So what's the status of the Teen Titans in the post New52 era? I was reading the Super Sons Omnibus and just got to the Teen Titans team up and it's Starfire, Raven and Beast Boy with Damian, so I guess they all are younger than Dick? was he ever part of that team?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1360967100886622212

DC please.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Literally zero pictures of his butt, DC ain't nothing but teases.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just good business practice. Everyone with an OnlyFans knows you don't give away the goods for free, gotta give them a reason to fork over the cash.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Nubia seems to be a more orthodox type of WW story so I'm looking forward to that along with Yara's adventures. The Midnighter backup story was fun if a little silly, though it's a bit odd that both it and the Mister Miracle backup involve paradoxes. The Superman of Warworld story is also fairly solid but could've probably have been done in the main canon in between larger, interconnected arcs since it could have worked standalone. The Batgirl(s) and GCS backups were good. No definite conclusion on Cass/Steph. The finale of Nightwing just made me want Dick as the new Bat even more. There's about to be two Wonder Women, why can't we have two Batmen?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Nubia seems to be a more orthodox type of WW story so I'm looking forward to that along with Yara's adventures. The Midnighter backup story was fun if a little silly, though it's a bit odd that both it and the Mister Miracle backup involve paradoxes. The Superman of Warworld story is also fairly solid but could've probably have been done in the main canon in between larger, interconnected arcs since it could have worked standalone. The Batgirl(s) and GCS backups were good. No definite conclusion on Cass/Steph. The finale of Nightwing just made me want Dick as the new Bat even more. There's about to be two Wonder Women, why can't we have two Batmen?

Phrasing :V

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The ending to Superman Worlds of War really works. Probably one of the best Future State books for sure.

Shazam... Shazam is an abomination.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Immortal Wonder Woman was certainly very beautiful but I can't help but feel...what was the point of that? The universe is over...but not really...but actually yeah it is...but hope!...but nah we're done. Cool?

And yeah uh, no offense meant to Tim Sheridan, I'm sure he's a tip-top human being, but these Teen Titans and Shazam Future State stories are the sort of books that make me depressed about the state of the industry.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Lmao wtf is this bullshit. God drat been awhile since a book was this bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The ending to Superman Worlds of War really works. Probably one of the best Future State books for sure.

Superman basically toppling Warworld via slave uprising is a much better ending than him clocking Mongul for the umpteenth time

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

What happened?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
lol I know it's comics so propaganda is in its DNA, but Superman Worlds at War's A-plot is really gross. at the sharing circle for people who were saved by Superman, the very first story is a white girl who is touring Jerusalem being rescued from an Arab woman with a suicide vest by Big Blue. then the next issue you find out the reason the young black female lead said she was saved by Clark Kent instead of Superman was because she really liked the aww shucks story he wrote about a black man who died crippled, penniless and alone, which was his country's thanks for giving up a music career to fight the genocidal empire overseas that had been directly inspired by the genocidal empire that had enslaved his ancestors, and spending the rest of his days as a civil rights protestor and social activist, keeping a scholarship in his dead son's name alive even as he slept on the streets. I mean there was a line about bringing "democracy and equality to Germany [after the war] even while serving in a segregated Army unit" which is a cute euphemism for letting the Nazis continue to run West Germany, but I don't know what a GI in a segregated unit would have to do with that either way. and it's structured in a way where duh, that man who never gave up, even when life and God gave him a bum rap on the way in and kicked him in the stomach even when he was down almost every day until he died? that man is Clark Kent.

also for some dumb reason he left his baby spaceship in cellar even when the farm was torn down and the foundation left to the elements. this all from the Last God dude? I guess that was his attempt at a tryhard savage swords and sorcery, this is his go at tryhard propaganda, at least at the level it took to sucker him into an army career, which lol. art's beautiful though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sounds wretched!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Protagorean posted:

lol I know it's comics so propaganda is in its DNA, but Superman Worlds at War's A-plot is really gross. at the sharing circle for people who were saved by Superman, the very first story is a white girl who is touring Jerusalem being rescued from an Arab woman with a suicide vest by Big Blue. then the next issue you find out the reason the young black female lead said she was saved by Clark Kent instead of Superman was because she really liked the aww shucks story he wrote about a black man who died crippled, penniless and alone, which was his country's thanks for giving up a music career to fight the genocidal empire overseas that had been directly inspired by the genocidal empire that had enslaved his ancestors, and spending the rest of his days as a civil rights protestor and social activist, keeping a scholarship in his dead son's name alive even as he slept on the streets. I mean there was a line about bringing "democracy and equality to Germany [after the war] even while serving in a segregated Army unit" which is a cute euphemism for letting the Nazis continue to run West Germany, but I don't know what a GI in a segregated unit would have to do with that either way. and it's structured in a way where duh, that man who never gave up, even when life and God gave him a bum rap on the way in and kicked him in the stomach even when he was down almost every day until he died? that man is Clark Kent.

also for some dumb reason he left his baby spaceship in cellar even when the farm was torn down and the foundation left to the elements. this all from the Last God dude? I guess that was his attempt at a tryhard savage swords and sorcery, this is his go at tryhard propaganda, at least at the level it took to sucker him into an army career, which lol. art's beautiful though

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time parsing this? I can't quite understand what you're talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't speak for them, but it sounds like their complaint is with Clark falling into a very "glurge gallery" type of journalism, with stories like Teenage Refugee Sells Limbs to Pay For Parents' Cancer Treatment! Heartwarming!, and in this case it's about some veteran who was completely exploited by the government until he died penniless and alone and this is supposed to make us feel inspired by his life or...something, I dunno.

Ostensibly, I think it's supposed to show how much Clark cares about the ordinary people and that's more important than his amazing powers. But I can see how it comes across shallow and like...kinda jingoistic? Like, this man's struggles were framed as grand sacrifices for the American war effort instead of him being repeatedly hosed over by an institution that should have supported him. I can see how this might read very poorly in the current social climate.