Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
How does WWE not yet pay in company script and have company towns they only can use company script in?

I think Nevada is trying to bring them back to lure companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/janelababy/status/1361796443510611975?s=21

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

How big is RevPro? I know they still have the NJPW connection.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Power Windows posted:

No bigger than a standard indie. The New Japan link will keep them going but they're nowhere near getting TV here

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

How does WWE not yet pay in company script and have company towns they only can use company script in?

It's called Orlando Florida and the United States Dollar.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PROGRESS was probably the closest thing we had to a PWG/GCW super-indie and they were the biggest fish in the pond.

There’s nothing remotely approaching say an ROH-level to get even a lovely youtube quality show on a nobody freeview channel.

The wider UK scene is going to be deep in the shitter outside of 2-3 promotions and it’s gonna depend on how tight WWE is holding the reigns over the NXT UK people when shows can start again.

Even if you discount that and look at it from a fresh blood perspective, a lot of trainee wrestlers have also lost almost an entire year of training to this, working out is one thing but they can’t get together and actually learn to wrestle under lockdown conditions. It’s going to be a slog to recover back to where it was with a relatively healthy circuit of “local” promotions all over the country if it even can.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
They even receive free shipping!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Power Windows posted:

Their biggest shows are at York Hall in London which has a capacity of 1200. More often they're putting on events at smaller venues like the Cockpit which has a capacity of 200.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lamuella posted:

I have 5% more hope for the future of the UK scene than most. There's no chance of a native promotion getting TV, and honestly little chance of any shows running until the entire population is vaccinated, but there's creativity and artistry there that I think can be harnessed. Riptide and Resurgence are both on IWTV, which sets them up to get shows to a broader audience. People like Charles Crowley are finding ways to work in the pandemic with projects like You Are Cordially Invited, and several promotions have managed to put together non-shabby codes of conduct and models of operation. Resurgence especially have done a good job with this. It's a weaker scene than before (Covid, Speaking Out, and NXT UK each had an effect) but there's ground something could grow in.

This reminded me to go watch more Riptide stuff, thanks!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

women are about the only group that i don’t necessarily blame for signing with wwe. aew doesn’t seem to be interested in giving women more than one tv segment per week typically, and even then it seems like it’d be pretty hard to crack the regular rotation. if what you care about is money and exposure, wwe’s probably still a sensible choice.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

sleepwalkers posted:

women are about the only group that i don’t necessarily blame for signing with wwe. aew doesn’t seem to be interested in giving women more than one tv segment per week typically, and even then it seems like it’d be pretty hard to crack the regular rotation. if what you care about is money and exposure, wwe’s probably still a sensible choice.

I dunno if I even fully agree with this anymore. NXT's women's division is great but pretty full right now and most people would pretty easily get lost behind all the talent currently sitting at the top. Raw's division is dominated by Charlotte and Alexa and is laughed at regularly, it's probably in a worse place than AEW's right now. Smackdown's division is a fine place for women to want to go to but they can't because they have to go to NXT for 3 years first. That being said depending on how many of the joshi from the tournament come to the states I don't think AEW needs to sing any more women anyway unless it's a homerun hire.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

mooseinfants posted:

I dunno if I even fully agree with this anymore. NXT's women's division is great but pretty full right now and most people would pretty easily get lost behind all the talent currently sitting at the top. Raw's division is dominated by Charlotte and Alexa and is laughed at regularly, it's probably in a worse place than AEW's right now. Smackdown's division is a fine place for women to want to go to but they can't because they have to go to NXT for 3 years first. That being said depending on how many of the joshi from the tournament come to the states I don't think AEW needs to sing any more women anyway unless it's a homerun hire.

I agree at this point too. I think really they’re just dead even now, which is a gain for a company like AEW. I’ll add one more example.

I read a scoop today on the dumb Twitter that WWE has already cooled off and the “honeymoon stage is already over for Priscilla Kelly and Cora Jade”, who they hired and threw right into their tag tourney to lose.

WWE has no current plans on what to do with them from here and they’re shelved for now.

I’m dead serious. That’s a terrible play for the women’s division to prop up a new signee and catapult off the new signing. Sad really.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Sign up for WWE and you too may one day debut 3 years later than you should and get injured by Nia Jax or Charlotte

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

ICR posted:

I agree at this point too. I think really they’re just dead even now, which is a gain for a company like AEW. I’ll add one more example.

I read a scoop today on the dumb Twitter that WWE has already cooled off and the “honeymoon stage is already over for Priscilla Kelly and Cora Jade”, who they hired and threw right into their tag tourney to lose.

WWE has no current plans on what to do with them from here and they’re shelved for now.

I’m dead serious. That’s a terrible play for the women’s division to prop up a new signee and catapult off the new signing. Sad really.

That's gonna be a LOL from me, dawg.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sleepwalkers posted:

How much exposure are they going to get while trapped in Performance Centre Purgatory for the next three years?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If you still need training AEW seems like a way better option.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Pylons posted:

If you still need training AEW seems like a way better option.

Two words.

Tay. Conti.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

How much exposure are they going to get while trapped in Performance Centre Purgatory for the next three years?
eh, not that much less than occasionally being on an episode of dark
i don't actually believe that, tbh. though someone signing with nxt uk isn't gonna be at the PC but they're also going to be on nxt uk and lol who watches that

mooseinfants posted:

it was not that long ago nxt's women's division felt like it'd been ransacked and there was no one left, that's always going to be a bit of a moving target. and in terms of nxt exposure, it depends; people like dakota, bianca, ember, io, shotzi, etc. all made their nxt debut within months, so you just gotta hope you're not gonna be the next vanessa borne or whatever i guess.
but your last sentence is basically my point ultimately: for as many faults as wwe has with how they handle signees, aew's not exactly a place that's got a lot of spots for women, so i think it's understandable why a woman with experience on the indies would sign with wwe.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Io Shirai was one of the best wrestlers in the world, signed to WWE around 4 years and she's on a brand getting less viewers than AEW is. From what I keep hearing the money isn't even that good for NXT contracts either so unless you're signing with WWE to basically retire I can't see how it's worth it. They've got like 300 people on the roster, they use like 25 each on Smackdown and Raw so there's no guarantee you're even getting paid in exposure.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

It’s ok, they have like 2 dozen more women starting at the PC next week.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Rarity posted:

Yeah once COVID ends things will start growing again. There'll never be a shortage of idiots who want to throw themselves off of balconies for a crowd of dozens.

it's true, i am very excited to get vaccinated so I can go back to jumping off balconies.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe stop bashing WWE for a minute and appreciate all the good they do?

https://twitter.com/WWECareers/status/1361787270945202179

This is for WWE Employees. It says nothing about WWE Independent Contractors.

That is one of the things that astounded me. Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins saying that wrestlers have to buy their own toys/T Shirts/merch etc. at full price. I would have thought that it would be just courtesy to send them one, or if they asked, just give one to them out of professionalism.

Edit: Related to Why sign up for WWE?

For a lot of people, and a large majority of wrestlers of a certain age, WWE still represents "the big leagues", and having made it to the top of your profession. So sure, it is easier, better, better paid, better conditions, less restrictive, more creative, and better regarded literally anywhere but WWE. WWE still, in the minds of many represents what you have worked for. The pinnacle.

This is also how WWE strips the love destroys the souls of those who end up there so quickly. Because they have in their minds that after busting their bodies, and honing their craft they are now going to be stars. Instead they get paid a pittance for 5 years to destroy their knees and learn how to recite a madmans script to the hard camera. All whilst watching lesser performers get called up on the whim of an ever madder man.

Another thing, (although this is lessening), is that if you say to friends and family "I am a pro wrestler", unless they are fans, they will say "Oh, like WWF?". So if you want to impress your friends and family, and show them that the work and struggle you have put in has been worth it, and you do do something real and important, then signing for the WWE is a way to show legitimacy in their eyes.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 17, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ICR posted:

Got a link to this?

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Rarity posted:

No bigger than a standard indie. The New Japan link will keep them going but they're nowhere near getting TV here

Tbf, I'm sure they got a few tapings on that Freesports digital TV channel before the pandemic hit.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Does being signed mean going to NXT and not languishing in the PC?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

TV Zombie posted:

Everyone in the PC is signed, so not necessarily.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

TV Zombie posted:

The two are not mutually exclusive

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1361886067482365953

Original Instagram post link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLXdOPoJ16o/

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"Comments on this post have been limited."

loving nazi coward.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

smikey posted:

Too bad wrestlers aren't employees, no discounts for them.

They get scrip to purchase legendary brass rings!

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Digital Jedi posted:

You take sixteen bumps
What do you get?
Another knee injured and
the contract extends

Saint Tony don't you
call me 'cause I can't go
I owe five years
To development bore

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that the main reason why people sign with WWE isn't some mathematical ratio of TV time per woman but rather that they've got a lot more money to throw around and nothing excites the carny spirit as much as a fat wad of Benjamins.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I don't know where I should ask this, but could I get an invite to the WrestleHut Discord?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Asteroid Alert posted:

I don't know where I should ask this, but could I get an invite to the WrestleHut Discord?

https://discord.gg/pHsV3Hrm here you go big man. its not Officially Goon Sanctioned or w/e u know typical disclaimers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

today in Very Good Rassle Twitter

https://twitter.com/ChameleonPw/status/1362033526397411330

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is for WWE Employees. It says nothing about WWE Independent Contractors.

That is one of the things that astounded me. Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins saying that wrestlers have to buy their own toys/T Shirts/merch etc. at full price. I would have thought that it would be just courtesy to send them one, or if they asked, just give one to them out of professionalism.
Wait seriously? Even comic companies, which are notoriously cheap, send their creators boxes of comped issues of the stuff they work on plus usually a bunch of other comics.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Kaveman posted:

Tbf, I'm sure they got a few tapings on that Freesports digital TV channel before the pandemic hit.

That was back in 2018 at the latest I think, fairly sure Freesports gave up on the wrestling thing after the amazing success of 5 Star Wrestling folding literally in the middle of the tour because they spent like £100k a show for an audience of about 500.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Endless Mike posted:

Wait seriously? Even comic companies, which are notoriously cheap, send their creators boxes of comped issues of the stuff they work on plus usually a bunch of other comics.

just about every single quality of life expense you think the wwe could do to make their wrestlers feel respected or treated well in the slightest is something they don't do

where's that bayley interview where the other person was baffled that they had to drive themselves to venues

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

flatluigi posted:

just about every single quality of life expense you think the wwe could do to make their wrestlers feel respected or treated well in the slightest is something they don't do

where's that bayley interview where the other person was baffled that they had to drive themselves to venues

Here you go.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1150120053947412480?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Do you think Bayley had a "oh gently caress, I shouldn't be talking about the U word" or did it just go over her head?