Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Cubone posted:

iirc that's why he was an alcoholic- self-medicating for ptsd
it honestly makes me more sympathetic to him because it clearly hosed him up
(like vs. matthew broderick or laura bush, who don't give half a poo poo about the people they killed and definitely would kill again)

Caitlyn jenner has also killed without remorse nor regret, as bad as pro wrestlers can be there are plenty of worse carnies out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

man i hope when im in my 60s and 70s I'm not telling stories of my multiple 400k+ divorces

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Oh, whoever mentioned "The Frankensteiner" being a batshit insane move, wow, you weren't kidding

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Cubone posted:

it's crazy that they just say the f-word in that song and nobody stopped them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md2iBjGHvPI

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cubone posted:

it's crazy that they just say the f-word in that song and nobody stopped them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD2ZtJwRSiQ

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well here's someone who was never going to get an invite to Chikara

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

MakaVillian posted:

I remember all the early Raw's kind of sucking, I see that I remembered correctly.

Oh God, they did. I got back into it after the whole Brian Pillman with a gun story line.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

my favourite promo of all time is by Abdullah Kobayashi, in the goddamn CZW Tournament Of Death, which was literally held in a field with a curtain for the wrestlers to walk through before they threw each other into barbed wire for no money

Nick Gage (who made so much money from wrestling that he went on to become a bank robber) comes out to a big pop, and cuts a big rah rah promo about how this is the USA and these Japanese deathmatch guys are about to learn a thing or two, upon which Abdullah Kobayashi (who not only was taught by Abdullah the Butcher, but stole his gimmick wholesale) comes down to the ring while a bunch of hicks flip him the bird. He picks up the mic, points at Gage, and in the most Japanglish way possible, just screams the word "COCKSUCKAAAAAAAAHHHH" at the top of his lungs.

Kobayashi is the babyface for the remainder of the match.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Not only is the show Glow pretty decent, it has a kickin rad intro.

https://youtu.be/IOKqf1Xsgww

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Eclipse12 posted:

Oh, whoever mentioned "The Frankensteiner" being a batshit insane move, wow, you weren't kidding

That's nothing compared to the Steiner Screwdriver lol

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

sean10mm posted:

That's nothing compared to the Steiner Screwdriver lol

Yea this is one of those wrestling moves that makes me cringe to watch

Especially considering Scott Steiner is a literal psycho who gives zero shits about breaking your neck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8wigNal8m8

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tom Gorman posted:

Yea this is one of those wrestling moves that makes me cringe to watch

Especially considering Scott Steiner is a literal psycho who gives zero shits about breaking your neck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8wigNal8m8
The guy he drops on his brain would go on to become Minister of Education.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The Bastard Driver is also a good one

https://twitter.com/KVR216/status/1213427694177787904?s=20

And the 24 Sai:

Ibushi has an unbreakable neck and so he doesn't care about yours

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

StarkRavingMad posted:

And the 24 Sai:

:staredog:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

StarkRavingMad posted:

And the 24 Sai:

This one is like "I'm going to drop you on your neck. If you die, you die."

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

That one wins

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Eclipse12 posted:

That one wins

Yeah, every Ibushi match is an exercise in "how much does Kota hate his own neck today?" Except when he wrestles Naito, then it becomes a match where the only goal seems to be to gently caress up your own neck as much as possible (assisted by the other wrestler as needed).

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Raw Report March 1, 1993

Oh no, announcer Rob Bartlett is dressed as Elvis and he's gonna do that schtick all night I just know it

Brett "The Hartman" Hit fulfills a contract obligation by fighting Fatu. Oddly it's a title match? Isn't Hart already scheduled for the title bout at Wrestlemania IX? Eh, who cares.

Ooohh, 90s CGI promo for Wrestlemania IX

Umm... Ico Pro pushes your body "beyond [your] genetic potential." WHAT?

Joey Buttofuoco joke.

Oooh! Koko B. Ware is fighting! He's great. One of the few small, athletic, high speed guys in the WWF roster. Too bad he's fighting... ugh... Doink.
Horrible match.

Now "Elvis" is talking to Doink. This is the worst day of my life.

Money, Inc has a beefcase.

Call 1-800-634-6698 for Wrestlemania IX tickets. Do it. Someone do it. It's your turn.

Lex Luger fights PJ Walker and calls him an ectomorph.

HOT drat! HERE COME THE STEINER BROTHERS! Screw you, other guys!

Episode over. Worth it for the Steiners.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It's crazy how the product changed so fast in the 90s, from goofball poo poo to the attitude era in just a few years. You could show me anything from the past 10-15 years (pre covid) and it all just looks the same.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I enjoy these Raw reports. Keep it up

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

spaceblancmange posted:

It's crazy how the product changed so fast in the 90s, from goofball poo poo to the attitude era in just a few years. You could show me anything from the past 10-15 years (pre covid) and it all just looks the same.

I'm so excited for the Attitude era. Just a couple hundred more Raws to go! :suicide:

MrMidnight posted:

Well, nobody ELSE was doing it.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

spaceblancmange posted:

Also, are you suggesting that a picture of Hulk Hogan attached hastily with masking tape to the "beefcase" is goofy??? If I was a wrestling clown with a pie I'd really let you have it!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Eclipse12 posted:

Raw Report March 1, 1993

Call 1-800-634-6698 for Wrestlemania IX tickets. Do it. Someone do it. It's your turn.

I called, nobody answered. I think it’s because Mean Gene died.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
drat, Doink owned. Both of them.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Eclipse12 posted:

I'm so excited for the Attitude era. Just a couple hundred more Raws to go! :suicide:

lol well when you put it that way it wasn't fast enough. I remember my brother would rent PPVs from the video store until 95 or 96 and it was pretty dire stuff at that time so seeing it on cable a couple of years later it looked pretty much unrecognisable.

Eclipse12 posted:

Also, are you suggesting that a picture of Hulk Hogan attached hastily with masking tape to the "beefcase" is goofy??? If I was a wrestling clown with a pie I'd really let you have it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPoOU54HiiE

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

MrMidnight posted:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Reminder that in Groundhog Day, Bill Murray bought Michael Shannon tickets to WrestleMania. Based on the year that movie came out, it was WrestleMania 9.

Poor guy.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Gavok posted:

Reminder that in Groundhog Day, Bill Murray bought Michael Shannon tickets to WrestleMania. Based on the year that movie came out, it was WrestleMania 9.

Poor guy.

So I shouldn't be looking forward to WIX???

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Eclipse12 posted:

So I shouldn't be looking forward to WIX???

It's a bizarre show due to the outside setting and Cesar's Palace aesthetic, but it's known as one of the worst Wrestlemanias ever due to the triple threat of:

- Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez, which is just terrible.
- A legendarily bad ending to the main event.
- No stand-out good matches on the card to offset those two.

The best we get are either Steiners vs. Headshrinkers or Crush vs. Doink due to the memorable finish.

For the record, the actual worst Wrestlemania is probably WM27. The one main-evented by WWE Champion the Miz.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Gavok posted:

WWE Champion the Miz.

lol theyre still pushing the miz despite having tons of better wrestlers on the roster

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

And the 24 Sai:

NJPW doesn't care about necks. A lot of moves that specially target necks that have been banned in Western feds are fair game in NJPW.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 18, 2021

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Gavok posted:

For the record, the actual worst Wrestlemania is probably WM27. The one main-evented by WWE Champion the Miz.

lol holy poo poo that show was loving awful. The main event was somehow worse than Cole vs Lawler, and also included Undertaker beating Triple H but literally begging for a rematch the next year because Triple H kicked rear end too much.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
I never got into wrestling though I had friends who liked it. I liked dbz a lot as a kid though.Same idea, just the cartoon version and they shot lazers and stuff instead of throwing furniture.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Goku is my favorite wrestler

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Schlong Connery posted:

I never got into wrestling though I had friends who liked it. I liked dbz a lot as a kid though.Same idea, just the cartoon version and they shot lazers and stuff instead of throwing furniture.

they have a wrestler that powers up dbz style except he transforms from fat mr rogers to fat guy in a leather jacket and a slipknot mask.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Gavok posted:

It's a bizarre show due to the outside setting and Cesar's Palace aesthetic, but it's known as one of the worst Wrestlemanias ever due to the triple threat of:

- Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez, which is just terrible.
- A legendarily bad ending to the main event.
- No stand-out good matches on the card to offset those two.

The best we get are either Steiners vs. Headshrinkers or Crush vs. Doink due to the memorable finish.

By your description I'm fairly certain I've seen WIX many years ago on VHS... but I sure can't remember any details. Well, guess I won't get my hopes up.

I do love outdoor venues, though. They always felt big and fun :shobon:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Schlong Connery posted:

Goku is my favorite wrestler

In case you don't remember who Kota Ibushi is:

StarkRavingMad posted:

And the 24 Sai:

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

All roads return to Kota Ibushi

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eclipse12 posted:

By your description I'm fairly certain I've seen WIX many years ago on VHS... but I sure can't remember any details. Well, guess I won't get my hopes up.

I do love outdoor venues, though. They always felt big and fun :shobon:

The OSW Review episodes are always fun if you want to go back and watch the old late-80s/early-90s shows but also don't entirely want to take most of the shlock seriously and instead have drunken Irishmen doing bits on top of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blessed.