Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

A big flaming stink posted:

I'd like a variant on the stinger that basically acts as an etch a sketch cutter so that you can carve off aluminum panels to get ready access to barge materials inside.

Maybe give it short range or high heat around combustibles for balance

Also, does anyone else use demo charges to push the remains of a ship into a furnace as the clock is winding down?

The devs have already said this is impossible. The way the system is build it can't handle cutting things with the stinger in the way you want, the splitsaw is the basically the extent of how cutting can happen. I.e. End to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wrr posted:

I do agree that the mastery itself is a reward, but for me once I have mastered the ship I find myself a bit less interested in it, other than simply scratching an itch to carve up a specific ship. I want to spend more time with the ships and with the game, and so I'd like more to it than simple mastery and watching the debt go down. Maybe that is not the ambition of the game, and that is fine, I still love it regardless, and maybe it is simply too early in development to know what their plans are. However, I think that the game could be strengthened by giving players tasks that are only really possible once mastery of the ship is acquired. Maybe that is end-game content; players unlock bigger and bigger ships to carve up as well as unlocking challenges on the ships they already know. I'm thinking of the dynamic that the new Hitman manages to create with its escalations, challenges, and elusive targets.

I think that the game has a really solid baseline, and the moment to moment gameplay feelings great and is a lot of fun, and I want to see what stuff they build onto that baseline.

As for the stinger and the cut-beam, I agree that nerfing the cut-beam isn't really the answer, and that the cut-guards are a bit of a clumsy solution to the cut-beam almost always being the best choice. I think that they instead need to give a good reason for the stinger and as such they need more precision tasks that it is suited for; cutting latches off of hatches or the engine cap, for example. I also think that it is a result of the construction of the handful of ships in the game; it feels like the majority of the work with them is husking the shell, quickly getting the nano-carbon off in order to get to the juicy inside. Big long blasts with the cut-beam are perfect for that, y'know? The new cargo ship with the rings seems like an attempt at designing ships which require an approach that isn't majorly cut-beam focused, which is a better solution than slapping cut guards onto things.

I'm think I am particularly :argh: over the stinger's more lackluster moments because they really highlight how I still have a naive blind spot for any time a fanbase or Devs says "We feel people should learn to use all the tools at their disposal!" only for the situation to rapidly backpedal to "They used a tool that was GOOD at the job!? That's illegal! Only being barely adequate to ineffectual should be allowed!"

Along those lines, claims like "But the stinger is good for melting glass!" remind me how the main reason I do that myself, is because the cutter is real awkward at quickly removing an entire cockpit window without one half inch sliver still being connected. Even before considering things like trying to avoid destroying electronics in the process. So "mastery" on that front becomes "Why even bother unless a checkmark on a list forces you do it? I'm on the clock here"

"Tool X is being kind of poo poo a this task even if I put effort in, so I'll use tool Y" is also why I often used the stinger to melt the reactor cage parts, because of how many times trying to carve through spamming the cutter beam actually leaves a little centimeter sliver uncut so gently caress it, might as well disintegrate the entire parts off with a long stinger burn rather than fiddle around with precision cuts angled to avoid detonating anything. EDIT: And also why I melt some radiation panels rather than pull them, due to the cases of "I pulled up, that means the pipe below it had a rupture, from the panel traveling in the opposite direction of the pipe. cool(ant)!"

Honestly I'd expect them to add a fuse box variant that has randomized beep patterns and a chance for their beeps to be disabled "For variety", before they polish up making the stinger feel good by being GOOD rather than "Well, if you used the cutter in this moment it would result in catastrophe/the physics model makes it kinda awkward even with zero risk"

This game is still real cool overall, and even for EA it is a lot more fully realized than a lot of games. Otherwise I wouldn't have chased after max 10 in a long binge. But I'd hope for more things to on ramp newer players or polishing up our existing workflow before I hope for "What if old ship, but something was extra hosed on purpose instead of because of EA jank?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 13, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want to like this game but I think I only like playing it in Open Shift mode

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to like this game but I think I only like playing it in Open Shift mode

I'd argue there is no need to 'agonise' over that preference. Hell, I only play Open Shift myself, since I want to chill with this game at my own pace. Will I miss out on some of the drama that can come from the pressure of time (and the choices that might flow from it)? Of course.

But for me at least, I'm not looking for drama. God only knows I get enough drama and time pressure in real life, lol. 80 hours of Open Shift, and I'm very happy with the time and enjoyment I've gotten. Any game of this ilk worth its salt gives the player a choice of a less hardcore mode, and without making it seem gimped, or making GBS threads on the choice.

In essence, for me anyway, it is "House Flipper" in space. With occasional explosions, *in spite* of not having to rush. And at such time when I'm perhaps up for a bit more drama, normal mode will be ready and waiting.

Edit: And I do acknowledge that there is more to Open Shift than just feeling time pressure. It puts me in the mind of Trials (a franchise I *am* more hardcore about); there is an important distinction to be made between finishing a track at any old pace, and actively aiming to finish a track as quickly as possible (e.g. the character of a track will be different, the techniques you employ will vary, etc.). Similarly, how I approach ship dismantling in Open Shift will be quite different from how I will want to approach it when time efficiency is part of the goal. For me that is just a thing to look forward to. If I tire of Open Shift, normal mode will likely spice things up quite a lot.

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 16, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The real trick to enjoying regular mode vs open shift is to swap your reason for anxiety, which is why I thought about doing more open shift mode then ran screaming away from it :downs:

If anything goes wrong in regular mode, all of your progress earned since your last shift end still counts and you didn't lose everything. Because shifts function more like an autosave slot than a punishment right now.

But if something goes super wrong in the middle of an long drawn out open shift, or worse it crashes because you cut a large section of ship stuck sideways in the furnace in half which resulted in 700+ new slivers being calculated and melted at once? You might have lost EVERYTHING. Instead of "only the last hunk of ship is left in the last 47 seconds of this 2nd/3rd shift might as well force it in...oops. Well at least I still kept 90% of my earnings and cert progress!"

This is why my mindset is that regular shift mode is the casual relaxation mode while open shift is the secret hardcore turbo fucker mode. At least until such a time they add more gotcha screw you mechanics to a job taking multiple shifts.

EDIT: That and an annoying cause of death for me on shifts was some bug preventing me from being able to interact with anything "I can't buy more air? Well I'll just end the shift early... oh. oh no". So walking away to run out the clock on normal mode is something I can do while if that bug happened to me on open shift it would suck a lot more. So I am definitely biased towards the countdown clock being my friend now.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 16, 2021

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Good points, well made. Looking back at what I said, another response might be, 'Why not just play free mode?'

I don't do free mode for the same reason I tend not to play the 'creative' mode in games like No Man's Sky, Astroneer, or Kerbal Space Program. While I'm not looking for drama per se, I *do* want both a sense of progression, and some externally imposed goals, in addition to engaging with the mechanical act of play.

There is a case to be made that all that'd change for me if I went from Open Shift to Normal Shift is that the rate at which I pay down my debt decreases somewhat because larger ships necessarily become multi-shift affairs. Either way, I care about work orders, and unlocking upgrades over time. Indeed, I never use *all* of the Buffalo. At some point, the remaining dregs aren't worth the time, even in Open Shift.

Funnily enough, I love the core mechanics of this game *so much* that despite the fact I've had *multiple* crashes deep into my Open Shifts (in some cases, 50+ minutes in), it hasn't soured me on the game. Sure, losing that progess was a bummer, but I had a great time until I was dropped back to desktop. Oh well, let's fire up the next shift! :supaburn:

It does result in a different kind of drama I guess, where as I get deeper into a shift, I'll be ruminating on what I'm willing to risk before I 'lock things in' by ending the shift, and the deeper you get, the bigger the stakes. Kind of funny, in hindsight; replacing the game's intended drama, rooted in its structure, for a source of drama rooted in the stability of early access sofware. :lol: I guess I'm okay with that mode of play because, ultimately, it was my own choice. And no, I'm not arguing it is *cool* the game can be a bit crashy!

I do intend to try out normal shifts at some point (always have); it's just a question of when. In any case, it is to the game's credit that we get the choice.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 16, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

magimix posted:

Good points, well made. Looking back at what I said, another response might be, 'Why not just play free mode?'

I don't do free mode for the same reason I tend not to play the 'creative' mode in games like No Man's Sky, Astroneer, or Kerbal Space Program. While I'm not looking for drama per se, I *do* want both a sense of progression, and some externally imposed goals, in addition to engaging with the mechanical act of play.

There is a case to be made that all that'd change for me if I went from Open Shift to Normal Shift is that the rate at which I pay down my debt decreases somewhat because larger ships necessarily become multi-shift affairs. Either way, I care about work orders, and unlocking upgrades over time. Indeed, I never use *all* of the Buffalo. At some point, the remaining dregs aren't worth the time, even in Open Shift.

Funnily enough, I love the core mechanics of this game *so much* that despite the fact I've had *multiple* crashes deep into my Open Shifts (in some cases, 50+ minutes in), it hasn't soured me on the game. Sure, losing that progess was a bummer, but I had a great time until I was dropped back to desktop. Oh well, let's fire up the next shift! :supaburn:

It does result in a different kind of drama I guess, where as I get deeper into a shift, I'll be ruminating on what I'm willing to risk before I 'lock things in' by ending the shift, and the deeper you get, the bigger the stakes. Kind of funny, in hindsight; replacing the game's intended drama, rooted in its structure, for a source of drama rooted in the stability of early access sofware. :lol: I guess I'm okay with that mode of play because, ultimately, it was my own choice. And no, I'm not arguing it is *cool* the game can be a bit crashy!

I do intend to try out normal shifts at some point (always have); it's just a question of when. In any case, it is to the game's credit that we get the choice.
I understand where you are coming from because often mandatory time limits in this kind of game would drive me loving crazy. Then when looking more into it during a sale I realized the situation was... not quite what the sales pitch was on "Time limits are for real manly men salvagers!"

As for "Why not just play free mode then?" unless they changed it, is free mode does not let you picks layout variants, just the broad type.

Topped of with how my first time trying out free mode it also gave me a ghost ship :v: Not exactly the best case for trying to practice a ship I was not familiar with yet.

I'm sure it was by accident and not intentional design, but considering that is ANOTHER "Super easy casual baby option" modes that was actually more of a ballbuster than just playing normal mode... Yeah. My own experiences have definitely skewed my outlook over what part of the game is the easy mode vs which part of the game isn't.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 16, 2021

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I’m sure a lot of these opinions are going to change very rapidly when they finally turn on the mission variables such as; limited number of shifts, wrongful destruction penalties, adjusted time limits, and pre-existing damaged ships with hazards, etc.

E: They’ve mentioned on their discord; one hazard they have is a damaged electrical system which discharge electricity from electronics which have all been damaged, including the venting terminal. :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 17, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Back Hack posted:

I’m sure a lot of these opinions are going to change very rapidly when they finally turn on the mission variables such as; limited number of shifts, wrongful destruction penalties, adjusted time limits, and pre-existing damaged ships with hazards, etc.

E: They’ve mentioned on their discord; one hazard they have is a damaged electrical system which discharge electricity from electronics which have all been damaged, including the venting terminal. :v:

Oh man that sounds fun. They should give you a JHA for the pre-damaged ones except the Lynx safety guy that filled it out plainly doesn’t care so it’s completely half-assed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh man that sounds fun. They should give you a JHA for the pre-damaged ones except the Lynx safety guy that filled it out plainly doesn’t care so it’s completely half-assed.

"Using LYNX's proprietary Hazard Threat Matrix, our inspector has rated this ship as: IMPISH."

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Have they said when the stat reset will be? I'm holding off on getting back in.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is the stat reset coming out with when they enable Act 1? I don't really want to get back into it until we get story mode enabled.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Per their last announcements in the Discord yeah. The timeline is "soon", but the update cadence has been roughly quarterly so I'd expect something in March maybe?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Could be worse, could be starsector (sorry Alex, you're great but it's a slow pace :) )

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The "tiny lights holding the ship together" thing was funny, I thought. I mean absolutely bonkers and unrealistic as hell but this is what the game is at its heart, it's a puzzle, not a realistic ship deconstruction simulation. "Find the unrealistic semi-hidden in plain sight thing and interact with it" is as valid a step as any other.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kind of like the load bearing heat sinks.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Alkydere posted:

Kind of like the load bearing heat sinks.

Grovergecko

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Saul Kain posted:

Grovergecko

Well now I want to take apart the worst jerry rigged ships available. Fuel tanks mounted directly to cut points springs to mind immediately.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dareon posted:

Well now I want to take apart the worst jerry rigged ships available. Fuel tanks mounted directly to cut points springs to mind immediately.

Any game where I’m pissed at whoever approved this hot work permit is a good game.

I wish this had a level editor, it would be fun to dick around and make the most OSHA.jpg ship ever.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Any game where I’m pissed at whoever approved this hot work permit is a good game.

I wish this had a level editor, it would be fun to dick around and make the most OSHA.jpg ship ever.

Now I want the narrator from the USCSB videos to do voiceover work to a Javelin reactor meltdown.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aniviron posted:

Now I want the narrator from the USCSB videos to do voiceover work to a Javelin reactor meltdown.

I’m thinking about downloading a capture program and doing some short “A safety professional plays Hardspace: Shipbreaker” LP type videos now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

aniviron posted:

My experience with the reactor:
90% of the time it goes just fine
9% of the time I bump the drat coolant line with a panel and it's suddenly spraying coolant on everything and setting the reactor off
1% of the time I open up the ECU searching for AI nodes and forget I can't just zap the node that bolted itself to the freezy bottle. Or well I can it just, you know, sets everything else off.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I’m thinking about downloading a capture program and doing some short “A safety professional plays Hardspace: Shipbreaker” LP type videos now.
If I ever had anything resembling extra free time I wanted to do Steam guides in the form of JSAs

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

If I ever had anything resembling extra free time I wanted to do Steam guides in the form of JSAs

Dude if you want to join let me know. When the game came out I was working for Bechtel on an LNG power plant and it was weirdly relaxing coming home and basically dealing with Work But With Spaceships.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Geteiltesägefahrer Klaus

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Does the gecko design with the only airlocks adjacent to the reactor still exist? Always thought that was a great death trap.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Heffer posted:

Does the gecko design with the only airlocks adjacent to the reactor still exist? Always thought that was a great death trap.

You mean the Cargo Gecko? Yes, yes it does.

Also I wonder how much random crap the crews stuff into the crawlspace between the hull and living/passenger compartments on some of those vessels. The Passenger and Science Geckos probably use those areas as extra storage during usage. Same with the crawl space on the front half of both types of Javelins.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Future variants should fill them with used razor blades.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Future variants should fill them with used razor blades.

And badly maintained lifts.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Beer cans but beer cans from like, 40 years ago (is what I found in the ceiling of our radio transmitter site during recent renovation)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Pull a line from the shitter and have it dump a million of those airplane sized bottles of Space Fireball.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I’m loving the idea of a clutter bomb, someone should throw that in suggestion section of their Discord.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Alkydere posted:

My experience with the reactor:
90% of the time it goes just fine
9% of the time I bump the drat coolant line with a panel and it's suddenly spraying coolant on everything and setting the reactor off
1% of the time I open up the ECU searching for AI nodes and forget I can't just zap the node that bolted itself to the freezy bottle. Or well I can it just, you know, sets everything else off.

The reactor runs just fine on one coolant can, and I've only ever found AI nodes on two of the three. Pulling the can and picking it up leaves the AI node drifting free. Walking it out to the furnace is time-consuming, but cathartic. You've been in proximity to hazards long enough, boyo, now you're getting punted into the sun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dareon posted:

The reactor runs just fine on one coolant can, and I've only ever found AI nodes on two of the three. Pulling the can and picking it up leaves the AI node drifting free. Walking it out to the furnace is time-consuming, but cathartic. You've been in proximity to hazards long enough, boyo, now you're getting punted into the sun.

Oh I know. It's just half the time I see them in the ECU cabinet I just go straight for my disentigrator.

It does feel so very good to punt them into the furnace when I remember though.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

They should go full zachtronics and make service manuals that has important poo poo like "how to flush the reactor" buried in a place that doesn't appear in the index and requires entering a code by opening and closing the airlock in a specific order, like 90s rovers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLFCXfhy6Y&t=1446s

And sometimes that doesn't work because the electricals are faulty, also like rovers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

xarph posted:

They should go full zachtronics and make service manuals that has important poo poo like "how to flush the reactor" buried in a place that doesn't appear in the index and requires entering a code by opening and closing the airlock in a specific order, like 90s rovers

And sometimes that doesn't work because the electricals are faulty, also like rovers.

Honestly I'm not entirely sure how succesful that would be considering how the normal airlocks sometimes just stop working. And always stop working sooner or later if it's a ghost ship. Which is why my Ghost Ship SOP involves "disintegrate the doors"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"open the pod bay doors" was not a request, HAL.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

xarph posted:

There's an early access game on steam called Tin Can that's a bit like this, in that you're given a really technical manual that you have to refer to keep an escape pod functioning. Each pod system in that game has multiple components, and thus points of failure, to it too. Most systems consists of circuit boards, input pads, monitors, warning lights, power connectors and fuses among other things, so an error in life support for example might be the CO2 filter being clogged, but it could also just be the warning light itself that's faulty. The monitor might tell you more, provided that the separate pod diagnostic computer system is working (otherwise you just get a simple numeric error code), and you didn't yank out the monitor previously to strip it for parts to repair something else (in which case you'll have to swap out components one-by-one until you find the point of failure).

Complex, high-fidelity systems like that would be awesome to have in Hardspace as well. (Fair warning about Tin Can; it's very barebones still, and I personally feel it has some gameplay issues that get in the way of really enjoying the systems aspect of it)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It would be fun if there was a lockout/tagout system in the game for getting at stuff like the reactors/electrical systems that are energized, so that you can either LOTO them and pull them out, or just go for them live and risk poo poo exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It would be fun if there was a lockout/tagout system in the game for getting at stuff like the reactors/electrical systems that are energized, so that you can either LOTO them and pull them out, or just go for them live and risk poo poo exploding.

Everything being a deadly shitfest of OSHA violations is like half the plot. If anything, using a LOTO would get you yelled at for wasting time and it wouldn't do anything anyways because it was implemented by the lowest space bidder and infested with ghosts.