Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
almost every ENB I've ever used looks good in daylight outside but makes nights and dark caves almost unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

almost every ENB I've ever used looks good in daylight outside but makes nights and dark caves almost unplayable.

Also every lighting mod.

e. The serious part of this post is that some (but not all) ENBs break night vision effects.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

docbeard posted:

Also every lighting mod.

e. The serious part of this post is that some (but not all) ENBs break night vision effects.

Oh yeah, like half the point of being a Khajiit is destroyed by using an ENB.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woof. Maybe I'll stick to watching the pretty Youtube videos instead. And yeah, I installed RS+LLO and didn't really notice a difference...that makes me wonder how much of Skyrim looking assy is the textures, how much of it is the lighting and shaders, and how much of it is the art direction.

Probably mostly the latter.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Skwirl posted:

This. I used the STEP guide and added their lighting mods and Cathedral ENB, and things look great during the day, and then I can't see my hand in front of my face at night. Frankly I'd rather have the vanilla "day, but tinged blue and ever so slightly darker" nights than ENB nights. If anyone has suggestions on this I would love to hear them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s got to be an ENB/ReShade that works differently indoors and out.

And yeah, you guys are right. It’s pretty clear that all these ENBs are made with outside or heavily lit areas in mind. That might be why you only ever see outside shots for them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Skwirl posted:

Modders have been doing that since at least Fallout 3 out of some misguided "it's not realistic unless you can't even see your hands in front of your face at night" impulse and it's an incredible nuisance every time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve said this before, none of these popular ENBs are compelling. They make Skyrim look bright and colorful and sure it makes for a nice desktop but in context it makes no sense at all. Skyrim’s a depressing, war-torn, Scandinavian shithole, and it should look like it. This isn’t Lord of the Rings. Jesus, c’mon.

It’s the same poo poo happening with throwing the word “immersive” everywhere like that actually means something.

Edit: I attempted to make a ReShader preset of my own and okay, I GUESS it's pretty hard, so.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's mods that do nothing but add a bunch of extra light sources to dungeons to make most ENBs usable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skwirl posted:

There's mods that do nothing but add a bunch of extra light sources to dungeons to make most ENBs usable.

Relighting Skyrim, Luminosity, and Lanterns of Skyrim II/Tamriel Master Lights really solve most of that poo poo when used in conjunction with eachother.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Relighting Skyrim, Luminosity, and Lanterns of Skyrim II/Tamriel Master Lights really solve most of that poo poo when used in conjunction with eachother.

Here's a mod to make the the game look prettier, and here's 4 other mods so you can actually see how pretty it is when it's not between 8 am and 6 pm or you're indoors.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
FWIW this discussion prompted me to try to get the Re-Engaged ENB presets working, and the results have been nice. Not a super-intense FPS impact on my GTX1080, considering the nature of how it works, plus I have grass density turned way up and it seems to enable grass shadows, and every 4k texture mod I could find because why the gently caress not. 45 minimum in the absolute worst spot I could find, otherwise generally not noticeable. Video on the mod's page made it pretty clear how to get it up and running, and where to find the nighttime and interior brightness adjustments (it actually made poo poo brighter out-of-the-box at night, not darker. I'm not using any other lighting mods). With a quick search I was able to find the saturation and contrast options and tweak that to my liking. I tried Imaginator for these but wasn't happy with the results.

I've never seen a ReShade screenshot for any game that didn't look like someone was just fiddling with the saturation and tint knobs.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 13, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skwirl posted:

True, but that doesn’t solve the core issue of ENBs being more on the grand fantasy side than the gritty Viking side.

nine-gear crow posted:

I have RS+LLO, it’s supposedly pretty good, but I can’t tell the difference. :shrug: Maybe I’ll miss it if I remove it?

I should check out that Lanterns of Skyrim mod...

afflictionwisp posted:

I've never seen a ReShade screenshot for any game that didn't look like someone was just fiddling with the saturation and tint knobs.

My understanding of ReShade is that it’s almost a Photoshop filter, since it’s a post processing step. So...yeah, basically. ENB OTOH actually hooks into the engine, so it can affect things at a higher level.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

My understanding of ReShade is that it’s almost a Photoshop filter, since it’s a post processing step. So...yeah, basically. ENB OTOH actually hooks into the engine, so it can affect things at a higher level.

This is my understanding, as well. Just warping around the map a bit, there's definitely a few places where I think vanilla wins out over this ENB preset, but lights bouncing off reflective surfaces look way better, the Falmer caves with the glowy mushrooms and wall poo poo look WAY less like someone wiped vaseline on my monitor, shadows look better.

The nighteye effect is an issue, but im not playing a cat-man so I don't care. There's a "fix" for it in the re-engaged preset, but whatever the dude did also makes it trigger when you cast some spells so I just turned it off.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

idgi Scandinavian countries are beautiful:shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It is, but I’m not in the mood for pretty at the moment.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pollyanna posted:

True, but that doesn’t solve the core issue of ENBs being more on the grand fantasy side than the gritty Viking side.
To be fair, Skyrim is really not on the gritty Viking side to begin with. It's absolutely a high fantasy game. I mean, you can go to a ~magical castle~ full of elves and glowy fountains to enroll in wizard school. It's only gritty in any meaningful sense if you want to see it like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Whichever ENB the wabbajack Skyrimsouls preset uses is pretty gritty, and isn't quite as annoying about darkness as most (though I still always use the lantern thing for it).

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Pollyanna posted:

It is, but I’m not in the mood for pretty at the moment.

I want to say something like Dungeon Darkness and... there's some kind of "dark" enb or reshade that makes things super dreary.

gently caress. If I was home I'd link some of these. Increased fog. Scary Morthal marsh. Rad poo poo. Makes you want to keep a torch on you at all times

Basically, maybe looking for "scary" visual mods might yield what you're looking for.

e: weather mods too.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 13, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, it looks like the following mods got me real close to what I was looking for:

quote:

Relighting Skyrim
Luminosity Lighting Overhaul
True Storms SE
Obsidian Weathers (with Bleak setting + Seasons FX)
True Storms Obsidian Patch
Yggdrasil
Yggdrasil Luminosity Patch

I tried to use Supreme and Volumetric Fog, but it's buggy as gently caress, and I have to re-enable it every time I enter a city.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass and fw means "Force Weather", hence my confusion. I need a mod that actually expands places that have foggy weather.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 13, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, it looks like the following mods got me real close to what I was looking for:

I tried to use Supreme and Volumetric Fog, but it's buggy as gently caress, and I have to re-enable it every time I enter a city.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass and fw means "Force Weather", hence my confusion. I need a mod that actually expands places that have foggy weather.

Supreme Volumetric Fog just goes overboard with fog and I uninstalled it after like 20 minutes testing it.

Cathedral Weathers has a decent enough fog engine to it. Improved Rain and Fog for Cathedral Weathers, Morning Fogs SSE, and Dynamic Mountain Fogs are all good to use together and really unobtrusive.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm playing around with a bunch of EnaiSiaion mods and :stare: Ordinator is absolutely intimidating. I might scope down to its vanilla version.

nine-gear crow posted:

Supreme Volumetric Fog just goes overboard with fog and I uninstalled it after like 20 minutes testing it.

Cathedral Weathers has a decent enough fog engine to it. Improved Rain and Fog for Cathedral Weathers, Morning Fogs SSE, and Dynamic Mountain Fogs are all good to use together and really unobtrusive.

Oh, nice. Morning Fogs is great - did not know about Dynamic Mountain Fogs...I'll check it out!

As for weather, I'm using Obsidian. I like its Bleak FX, helps get the tone I'm looking for.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

After many years, Wyrmstooth is back on the Nexus with a new version. Apparently the author has been experimenting with creating AI-generated voice lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCR0Urs8Z4

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Does anyone have suggestions for subtle overhauls for player houses? House overhauls tend to be heavy on big luxurious features and dummies everywhere. I want stuff that makes the houses a little less dingy and worn (especially for Hjerim). The ones I liked for vanilla weren't ported over, and I've never found one I liked for Breezehome.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Mizuti posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for subtle overhauls for player houses? House overhauls tend to be heavy on big luxurious features and dummies everywhere. I want stuff that makes the houses a little less dingy and worn (especially for Hjerim). The ones I liked for vanilla weren't ported over, and I've never found one I liked for Breezehome.

for real have you ever been to drela's cottage? you can make it a player home with a few console commands and it's super cozy and chill

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Is there a mod yet where you can feed animals

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a mod called simply tame that lets you feed animals to attempt to tame them, and they become followers.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pollyanna posted:

I'm playing around with a bunch of EnaiSiaion mods and :stare: Ordinator is absolutely intimidating. I might scope down to its vanilla version.
coward

The build of "Vokriinator Black" that merges perks from Ordinator, Vokrii, and SPERG is so good that I will never play without it

(...do what you want though, games are supposed to be fun :shobon:)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Leal posted:

Is there a mod yet where you can feed animals

There's a mod for the Legendary Edition (there doesn't appear to be an SE port) where can make dog treats and give them to dogs, but that's it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Longshot since the thread seems mostly PC focused, but does anyone know the good Magic mods for PS4? I'm trying to avoid the one with the really cringey Harry Potter fanfiction stapled onto it. I tried Redone Magic but it only gives more Destruction damage with a perk that also doubles magika cost. Which seems odd considering the base problem is that Destruction magic is --literally worthless- past like level 15. I'm really just looking for any mod that makes my lightning bolts worth casting without making a full cost reduction set to let my lightning storm last forever (but still take 12 minutes to kill a deer).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Longshot since the thread seems mostly PC focused, but does anyone know the good Magic mods for PS4? I'm trying to avoid the one with the really cringey Harry Potter fanfiction stapled onto it. I tried Redone Magic but it only gives more Destruction damage with a perk that also doubles magika cost. Which seems odd considering the base problem is that Destruction magic is --literally worthless- past like level 15. I'm really just looking for any mod that makes my lightning bolts worth casting without making a full cost reduction set to let my lightning storm last forever (but still take 12 minutes to kill a deer).

Is Apocalypse on PS4? I don't think it uses any new textures or models which seems to be the main hurdle for PS4 mods. Grab Ordinator too the magic perks are designed to work with it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Is Apocalypse on PS4? I don't think it uses any new textures or models which seems to be the main hurdle for PS4 mods. Grab Ordinator too the magic perks are designed to work with it.

Sadly we don't have Ordinator since it relies on added scripts which Sony refuses to allow. Our mods can only use existing assets and minor code tweaks.

Honestly given Sony's stance on the issue it might be a good thing that future games seem to be XBox and PC exclusive.

Instead of Ord we get Better Vanilla Perks which is heavily based on Ord but rejiggered to work around the restrictions. Which itself seems to change the Destruction perks some but I'm not sure it's enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Sadly we don't have Ordinator since it relies on added scripts which Sony refuses to allow. Our mods can only use existing assets and minor code tweaks.

Honestly given Sony's stance on the issue it might be a good thing that future games seem to be XBox and PC exclusive.

Instead of Ord we get Better Vanilla Perks which is heavily based on Ord but rejiggered to work around the restrictions. Which itself seems to change the Destruction perks some but I'm not sure it's enough.

Do you have Apocalypse? that's the main Magic thingie I always want to use if I'm playing a magic user.

Edit I own a PS4 but I don't own Skyrim on PS4 so I can't check mods that are available on it easily, but I can recommend like a dozen other things that I have no idea if they're even available/

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 19, 2021

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Do you have Apocalypse? that's the main Magic thingie I always want to use if I'm playing a magic user.

Edit I own a PS4 but I don't own Skyrim on PS4 so I can't check mods that are available on it easily, but I can recommend like a dozen other things that I have no idea if they're even available/

Checking with search...nnnnope. It looks like our big mods are called Magic Redone, Enhanced Magic, and Phenderix the aforementioned cringey Harry Potter fanfiction. Also the changes from Better Vanilla Perka.

Though it looks like they also just added something called Simple Magic Overhaul which might be what I'm looking for. Increases damage/magnitude for spells by 9/4/2/2/2% according to level for every point you have in the skill. so I guess my 100 Destruction basic Des spells would be doing 900% base damage?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Checking with search...nnnnope. It looks like our big mods are called Magic Redone, Enhanced Magic, and Phenderix the aforementioned cringey Harry Potter fanfiction. Also the changes from Better Vanilla Perka.

Though it looks like they also just added something called Simple Magic Overhaul which might be what I'm looking for. Increases damage/magnitude for spells by 9/4/2/2/2% according to level for every point you have in the skill. so I guess my 100 Destruction basic Des spells would be doing 900% base damage?

Mysticism?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27839

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Oooh! We do have that! And it looks good. They had to cut out some things because of Sony limits but they all look minor. Thank you!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

There is a perk mod with a related, required magic mod for ps4. The perk mod is Adamant, and the magic mod is Mysticism. I'm using both on ps4, but I haven't played much 9n ps4. They seem pretty cool, within the restrictions on PS4.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

What are the best orc mods that let me rp as a violent green hooligan? Anything that lets me waaugh occasionally in combat?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

There is a perk mod with a related, required magic mod for ps4. The perk mod is Adamant, and the magic mod is Mysticism. I'm using both on ps4, but I haven't played much 9n ps4. They seem pretty cool, within the restrictions on PS4.

Yeah, use Adamant if you're using Mysticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

albany academy posted:

What are the best orc mods that let me rp as a violent green hooligan? Anything that lets me waaugh occasionally in combat?

Imperious from Enaison and then probably some shout mods.

Imperious posted:

Shockwave: Once per battle, jump to cause a tremor that staggers opponents and may knock them off their feet.