Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think a pretty sweet job would be listening to podcasts and chopping wood. No politics, just a splitting maul and a fine hard stump for your base.

Holy poo poo does this speak to me. When people ask me what my perfect job would be like and I'm being honest I always reply chopping wood. Just chopping wood. Good honest physical work, constant progress, and regular satisfaction when you finished splitting a good and heavy piece.

Also a question on the salutation thing to y'all, I'm not a native English speaker so my office English is rudimentary, what's a good all around salutation set for every day business mails? I've been going with dear x, or just hello x if we've reached a more informal level to greet, and either best regards or regards when closing. Is that alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My salutation is "sup motherfuckers"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Also a question on the salutation thing to y'all, I'm not a native English speaker so my office English is rudimentary, what's a good all around salutation set for every day business mails? I've been going with dear x, or just hello x if we've reached a more informal level to greet, and either best regards or regards when closing. Is that alright?

Bingo. There’s also an informal hierarchy as to closers “best regards - we cool, regards - dead to me”

I use “greetings” about 90 percent of the time and every time I do, I hear it in LGRs voice.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Personally I feel "Hello [name]/[All]" and "Best, [my first name]" to be the most bland, and therefore best.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

teen witch posted:

Bingo. There’s also an informal hierarchy as to closers “best regards - we cool, regards - dead to me”

I use “greetings” about 90 percent of the time and every time I do, I hear it in LGRs voice.

:same:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

teen witch posted:

Great, thanks! didn't know about the hierarchy.

If you don't like these things I can recommend getting some business partners in Denmark/skandinavia, they go directly for the "hi first name... Regards". It's very relaxing as they mostly don't give a gently caress.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Its funny how ingrained formal email responses are. My boss asked me to ask the other director in our office for some training on a particular subject, and in the email they wrote everything very formally explaining how my boss has the wrong idea but that they could train me in a semi related thing. I know if I asked them in person they'd say "yeah your boss doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. That's not related in the slightest." and then we'd probably talk poo poo about him around the water cooler for another 15 minutes

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

teen witch posted:

My hierarchy is:

😀 posted:

Hi [name],
[content with niceties]
Thanks,
Blue Moonlight

😐 posted:

[name],
[content]
- Blue Moonlight

😠 posted:

[extremely terse content]

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I only say "Hello," as a salutation and "Regards," as a sign off, unless I'm asking for something and then its "Thanks,".

I'm an engineer tho so I feel I get away with robotic email

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Dumb poo poo:

Sit through 10 hours of mandatory online training about how terrible it is to be a bully, sexual harasser, or bigot, as well as “don’t buy nice poo poo for clients to bribe them into buying our poo poo, also don’t bill company A for work done for company B goddammit” ethics training. Like the fact that this is even necessary speaks volumes about the amount of lovely poo poo going down regularly.

Cool poo poo:

300$ allowance for buying office supplies every half year so i can get me a non garbo keyboard finally. Yay.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

fresh_cheese posted:

Cool poo poo:

300$ allowance for buying office supplies every half year so i can get me a non garbo keyboard finally. Yay.

christ, and my boss and I both had to fight for months to get less than $100 authorized after a diagnosed RSI while rejecting my doctor's "bring in occupational health for an evaluation" instruction unless she came in in person and did it despite it not being her field.
Cherish the cool poo poo. I'd sit through the dumb poo poo monthly for that.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
Very jealous of all of you who can work from home.

I work for the power company in NYC and you would think we would be considered essential workers (we're not). Thankfully i qualified for the vaccine because of health issues.

with that being said, many of my coworkers don't wear masks and think it's "just the flu". Even though pretty much everyone knows of family or friends who have had covid and a few who have even died.

yet it's still a hoax and MY FREEDOM!!!

This includes a coworker who wore a half face respirator back in march/april 2020, but now made fun of me for wearing a surgical mask, while he wore nothing.

gently caress people.

edit:

masks are to be worn at all times if social distancing is not possible. signs posted everywhere....but can't complain to anyone since even the supervisors don't follow these rules.

Some Guy From NY fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 17, 2021

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I teach 7th and 8th grade science. Remotely, right now. I like it for a couple of reasons and hate it for whole bunch more.

-My commute usually takes about an hour. I miss my audiobooks and concerts, but I have saved about $2,000 in fuel costs since March 13.

-I am reasonably safe from COVID, since I stay home most of the time. (This may change, when they decide to push us back into the classroom. I know that I had 9 tables in my classroom before, each holding 4 students. They have added 9 more tables to my room. There is now about a foot between tables, but they are fairly large, so one kid per table would be OK. Just no room to move around.)

-One thing I hate is the fact that we are doing Google Meets. Our district does not allow us to demand that the students turn on their cameras, so I only know if they are there if they voluntarily turn on their camera (about 4 kids out of 175), or if they respond to a question from me. About half of my students log in, then go off and watch TV or play X-box. I'm not allowed to penalize them for not actually being there, as long as they log in.

-The biggest thing I hate is the fact that I can't do any labs or demos . The best I can do is maybe find something on YouTube that is related in some way to what we are learning.

However, I am getting paid, and I get to spend more time at home, which is not bad at all.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Son of Rodney posted:

Holy poo poo does this speak to me. When people ask me what my perfect job would be like and I'm being honest I always reply chopping wood. Just chopping wood. Good honest physical work, constant progress, and regular satisfaction when you finished splitting a good and heavy piece.

Easy answer?

Good day, (good for weird timezones)

Good morning,

Good afternoon,

Good evening,

--- I work with the Fed gov't, and the military. I did my time, so I typically go with a Sir / Ma'am / Chief. But holy hell when an officer that is an rear end in a top hat does not get addressed by their rank / sir. Some of them flip the gently caress out.

"DID YOU JUST ADDRESS ME AS DAN, CHIEF?! I'm a Lieutenant! and will be addressed as such." (Chiefs are enlisted, LT's are officers.)

and I just sign off with

v/r
Blight

Then some people still reply to me with Mr. Rhino, even though i kind of expressed I'm good with just Blight. That's mildly annoying.
Mr. Rhino is my Dad! Ha Ha.

I'll also admit to being like that science dork on the Simpsons where he says Good Morning to Homer (or whoever) and Good Afternoon to Marge.
If you say good morning to me at like 1205, i'm going to have thoughts about that. That I'd never bring up, but still. Thoughts.
But, I can be highly regarded.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 17, 2021

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Genesplicer posted:

I teach 7th and 8th grade science. Remotely, right now. I like it for a couple of reasons and hate it for whole bunch more.

-My commute usually takes about an hour. I miss my audiobooks and concerts, but I have saved about $2,000 in fuel costs since March 13.

-I am reasonably safe from COVID, since I stay home most of the time. (This may change, when they decide to push us back into the classroom. I know that I had 9 tables in my classroom before, each holding 4 students. They have added 9 more tables to my room. There is now about a foot between tables, but they are fairly large, so one kid per table would be OK. Just no room to move around.)

-One thing I hate is the fact that we are doing Google Meets. Our district does not allow us to demand that the students turn on their cameras, so I only know if they are there if they voluntarily turn on their camera (about 4 kids out of 175), or if they respond to a question from me. About half of my students log in, then go off and watch TV or play X-box. I'm not allowed to penalize them for not actually being there, as long as they log in.

-The biggest thing I hate is the fact that I can't do any labs or demos . The best I can do is maybe find something on YouTube that is related in some way to what we are learning.

However, I am getting paid, and I get to spend more time at home, which is not bad at all.

Yeah, half the coolness of being a Science Teacher is doing all sorts of random explosive demonstrations and what not

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
God I never even thought about trying to teach science remotely like that. And the student experience trying to learn science that way. :smith:

Science class was so amazing due to the hands on nature of it, the access to equipment and chemicals and everything. That's awful.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gene how far away from your job do you live to spend $2,000 a month on gas???

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
He said 2000 since March 13th

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Oh in that case he spends like nothing on gas, drat

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Great, thanks! didn't know about the hierarchy.

If you don't like these things I can recommend getting some business partners in Denmark/skandinavia, they go directly for the "hi first name... Regards". It's very relaxing as they mostly don't give a gently caress.

Always down with the mvh

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Gene if you want to make sure they're there can't you randomly say 'everyone put on the chat box what's 2+2' and if a kid takes longer than 20 seconds three times in a row fail them? Or is that bullying now?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Genesplicer posted:

Teacher thaangs.

My brother teaches 7th gr. Remotely and in person at school because covid isnt real i guess according to the charter school mgmt.

He has probably 3-4 students who actually show up and do anything at all. 20 ish who log in and turn some BS in with 0 effort. 20 who have literally done nothing at all this goddamn year.

I dont know how he, or you, stays motivated, but i am proud that he ( and you?? ) does. I have a seventh grader in a different district and i swear to god good teachers are literal saints among lesser people. I listen to my kids teachers doin their teacher thaaangs over Teams while i do my BS computer touchin thaaaangs over webex for work and they are putting in way, way, way more effort than i am and i am shamed for it.

Youre people makin me look bad in front of my kid, is what im sayin Gene.

Keep it up.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

SkyeAuroline posted:

christ, and my boss and I both had to fight for months to get less than $100 authorized after a diagnosed RSI while rejecting my doctor's "bring in occupational health for an evaluation" instruction unless she came in in person and did it despite it not being her field.
Cherish the cool poo poo. I'd sit through the dumb poo poo monthly for that.

Shiiiiiiit.... my man here had rsi so bad he couldnt drive into work for the work from work for great collaboration!!! mandate and eventually got “administratively separated” for his trouble.

Hes fine now. Got +70% moving to an exclusive WFH deal for a NGO of some kind or other.

Me ive got the Stockholm syndrome so these nice bits of decency are plenty enough and im legit thankful for it because I know it is literally the least this bigass company can do.

My keyboard really is poo poo tho - rubber domes bleh gross it sucks. Hope the new one actually has cherry reds like the catalog said. Is it sad im looking forward to a keyboard?

Yeah. Yeah it is. And thats ok.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fresh_cheese posted:

:wtf:

My kids' (elementary school) teachers absolutely call them out for having the camera off if they're supposed to be "present" for the lesson (as opposed to 'you're done the assignment, goof off for the next 10 while others catch up' time). At that point I feel like you should just tailor the lesson to whoever's actually going to listen and make it like a 1 or 2 person class with a bunch of randos sitting in.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh my god it is 2021 do not embed a massive image in an email please lord Satan

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I've done a few science demos on camera to classes. It goes fine if you rehearse first and know your setup. Then again, I wasn't doing it for fortyfuck pissy middle schoolers.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

teen witch posted:

:yossame: but PowerPoints

Actually don't email me files at all

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Emailed a power point with a video in it of them presenting a different PowerPoint presentation. :argh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Emails with cutesy fonts and background texture images like it's loving 1996, except the texture is now a high-res, billion colour piece of poo poo.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Emails with cutesy fonts and background texture images like it's loving 1996, except the texture is now a high-res, billion colour piece of poo poo.

Jeffery make a blink and scrolling tag.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

teen witch posted:

luv 2 come into work and get an email from a customer titled "machine broken?" that is just 5 blurry full res phone pics and a "sent from my samsung galaxy 8" for context

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

luv 2 come into work and get an email from a customer titled "machine broken?" that is just 5 blurry full res phone pics and a "sent from my samsung galaxy 8" for context

yup, i get the same here except it's "part no fit". i'm lucky if i get the blurry pictures because i can usually figure out why part no fit if there's at least a picture and go from there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm going to start writing my emails in word, screenshot it and send the jpg. I bet I can send three of them before someone notices.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
my boss literally once told me I have too much personality in my emails and took away a bi-weekly meeting that I organized and hosted because i made it "too fun"

true story

i need a new job

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

I'm going to start writing my emails in word, screenshot it and send the jpg. I bet I can send three of them before someone notices.

You joke, but I knew a guy who would do something like this. He would take a screenshot of his 2 monitor display, zoom it in on the thing he had issues with, save the picture and then print it out, scan it and email it with handwritten comments explaining his problems. Our scanners could email direct to people so you would just get this thing with the subject line "sent from a Xerox printer" and open up this PDF that looked like a conspiracy theorist circling things that proves we never went to the moon.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

A friend of my boss sent an unsolicited nude to one of my coworkers. My boss said he couldn't do anything about sexual harassment because it took place outside of work hours. Wtf. If that had been a man sending a woman unsolicited nudes, he would have been fired on the spot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Scathach posted:

A friend of my boss sent an unsolicited nude to one of my coworkers. My boss said he couldn't do anything about sexual harassment because it took place outside of work hours. Wtf. If that had been a man sending a woman unsolicited nudes, he would have been fired on the spot.

This probably turns into a can of worms unless they can prove the boss knew about it or endorsed it.

E: To start with find out where the nude sender works and make a complaint to that company?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 17, 2021

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Scathach posted:

Your boss is full of poo poo. A receptionist at a job I held many moons ago sent an unsolicited nude to a client after hours, and her rear end was on the street 15 minutes and one incensed phone call to the owner later. Your coworker needs to talk to an attorney immediately.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The person who sent the nude can be dealt with by making a complaint to the company. I think the bigger issue is the nude sender's friend (the boss) is effectively endorsing the action and won't be admonished for it. The buried lede here is if the coworker gets the boss friend in trouble/fired then they'll be in the bosses sights in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Scathach posted:

I'm a little confused. If the sender doesn't work for your company, how could your boss fire them on the spot?