Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

If you narrated the posts in the Epstein thread over stock footage you could make a pretty banger docuseries. Have one episode be Cuppy Tea's posts and have that be censored for the ratings

It's down for maintenance but there's probably enough content of curtis' voice for https://15.ai to do a pretty good job. Probably not enough demand to add him to the model though.

Would be pretty funny in a meta way considering the content of his documentaries.

Rookoo has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Gaupo Guacho posted:

love that goons are still enamored with this white power podcast while LARPing as leftists

lmao still posting like a lunatic, never stop

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

love that goons are still enamored with this white power podcast while LARPing as leftists

Hitler did nothing wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
Speaking of the bad bad podcasts (but actually a kind of evil)...
https://twitter.com/annakhachiyan/status/1361806642380214272
(link up at r/blackscare most likely)
for the where is Adam Curtis politically debate loosley transcribed, he goes on for a bit but my transcribing skills end here, stuff about how both sides failed to harness the anger as displayed in trump, brexit, and occupy, "I'm a progressive, that's really all my politics are, I'm a symptom of my time and don't have a consistent politics and I suspect people who do, but I'm progressive so I try to understand what went wrong with radicalism." "BLM is good, it says no it's a structural problem and if you want to change things you can't just say be nicer to others" (summarizing) 'it understands history and power.' Their questions are giving me second hand embarrassment but Curtis is going off.

Paffgen has issued a correction as of 02:26 on Feb 17, 2021

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Paffgen posted:

I'm a symptom of my time and don't have a consistent politics and I suspect people who do

ah, a liberal

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Never thought I'd spot an Anthem ad in a Curtis doc but here we are.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Quetzadilla posted:

ah, a liberal

Adam Curtis believes that change comes from big sweeping tectonic shifts/revolutions. That alone makes him not a liberal.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Springfield Fatts posted:

Never thought I'd spot an Anthem ad in a Curtis doc but here we are.

Yeah that was kind of funny, but entirely unintentional.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Adam Curtis believes that change comes from big sweeping tectonic shifts/revolutions. That alone makes him not a liberal.

Well he is kind of doing a "marketing place of ideas" by saying that communism is a dead end since "all the communist revolutions failed" and that instead you need a big new original idea that everyone can get swept up in and rebuild the world around.

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
He does that thing where he calls liberals "radicals" but also refers more correctly to the black panthers as radicals but then russiagate people as radicals/the left and then people not on the left with "extreme" beliefs radicals and calls liberals leftists and vice versa the whole time. :psyduck:
Lots of interesting things other than that, an anecdote he says he couldn't fit into the movie about some exec at ebay stopping all google advertising for some segment of the market for 3 months and seeing zero change, which has already been happening but (to extrapolate from there) people are going to realize totally instead of just in a segmented way that online advertising is completely fake and a lie, and that these sinister algorithms have less control over people than the entire economy is based on saying they do.

Paffgen has issued a correction as of 08:55 on Feb 17, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/GlumBird/status/1361660846833868800

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

It just occurred to me that Curtis's thesis isn't too far off of Francis Fukuyama's with liberal democracy being an end-point of sorts for history where the prospect of meaningful change is subsumed by the system. Interestingly, Fukuyama has doubled-back in a way that brings him more in line with Curtis. From the link, referencing his book:

quote:

There was also a seductive twist to Fukuyama’s argument. At the end of the article, he suggested that life after history might be sad. When all political efforts were committed to “the endless solving of technical problems, environmental concerns, and the satisfaction of sophisticated consumer demands” (sounds good to me), we might feel nostalgia for the “courage, imagination, and idealism” that animated the old struggles for liberalism and democracy.

I think there are certainly major differences through their works but just an interesting similarity on this point. I think Fukuyama did come up in Power of Nightmares - I he's been an influence for Curtis, too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Well he is kind of doing a "marketing place of ideas" by saying that communism is a dead end since "all the communist revolutions failed" and that instead you need a big new original idea that everyone can get swept up in and rebuild the world around.

I don't see the controversy.

guidoanselmi posted:

It just occurred to me that Curtis's thesis isn't too far off of Francis Fukuyama's with liberal democracy being an end-point of sorts for history where the prospect of meaningful change is subsumed by the system. Interestingly, Fukuyama has doubled-back in a way that brings him more in line with Curtis. From the link, referencing his book:

I think there are certainly major differences through their works but just an interesting similarity on this point. I think Fukuyama did come up in Power of Nightmares - I he's been an influence for Curtis, too.

Fukyama adores Biden, Curtis rolls his eyes at him.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Communism was never "proven to fail." That's Curtis' generation and lib-brain thinking. He's a left-liberal who laments why things are only getting worse and no one can imagine change - and the answer is because there's no alternative to look towards. Even communism in two of the poorest countries on Earth, wracked by invasion, civil war, blockade, breakneck industrialization, political terror, was a massive improvement from what came before.

The problem with Fukuyama's thesis, besides its arrogance, was that neoliberalism and the End of History was predicated on institutions built during Depression, World War II, and competition with the Soviet Union persisting, for technocratic managers to actually be effective rather than failson shitheads or mediocrities. Capitalism was going to devour the very good things that liberals like Fukuyama attributed to it, because those things were never part of it.

KaptainKrunk has issued a correction as of 06:20 on Feb 17, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

Communism was never "proven to fail." That's Curtis' generation and lib-brain thinking. He's a left-liberal who laments why things are only getting worse and no one can imagine change - and the answer is because there's no alternative to look towards. Even communism in two of the poorest countries on Earth, wracked by invasion, civil war, blockade, breakneck industrialization, political terror, was a massive improvement from what came before.

You can easily argue that a vision of a more equalitarian society with bigger government, worker control, and people control is the way to go yes. But I feel that decrying Marxist-Leninism not leading to stagnation or decline when every nation abandoned it due to it's sluggish performance after the sixties isn't that controversial.

KaptainKrunk posted:

The problem with Fukuyama's thesis, besides its arrogance, was that neoliberalism and the End of History was predicated on institutions built during Depression, World War II, and competition with the Soviet Union persisting, for technocratic managers to actually be effective rather than failson shitheads or mediocrities. Capitalism was going to devour the very good things that liberals like Fukuyama attributed to it, because those things were never part of it.

Fukuyama's biggest issue was thinking that judging human history in the span of half a century is proof of anything. Think how long ancient Rome lasted.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Doctor Jeep posted:

lmao still posting like a lunatic, never stop
they say the "n-word" several times in each episode and you guys who post about communism 800 times a day are enamored with it

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Gaupo Guacho posted:

they say the "n-word" several times in each episode and you guys who post about communism 800 times a day are enamored with it

oh, word?

oh wow that is quite the history of posts you have there. anyone entertaining the idea of taking you seriously is well advised to take a peek.

ben shapino has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Feb 17, 2021

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I *was* really taking they guy getting mad about cum town in the Adam Curtis thread seriously, but then I looked at his post history and realized I shouldn’t.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

TheSlutPit posted:

I *was* really taking they guy getting mad about cum town in the Adam Curtis thread seriously, but then I looked at his post history and realized I shouldn’t.

Glad I could help. Namaste

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Adam Curtisland

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Finished it. South America never got mentioned, like Bolivia could be an example of change after Morales was ran out of the country during the failed coup. I would assume that would a big deal that a movement can live on even without their charismatic leader. There's also a bunch of protests that were happening on the continent some that were successful in some reform or electoral matters.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

You can easily argue that a vision of a more equalitarian society with bigger government, worker control, and people control is the way to go yes. But I feel that decrying Marxist-Leninism not leading to stagnation or decline when every nation abandoned it due to it's sluggish performance after the sixties isn't that controversial.

Yes, it is. I responded to you upthread as to why curtis' analysis of it is superficial and wrong.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Gaupo Guacho posted:

not sure why this virtue signaling psycho isn’t permabanned, to be honest. really glad he’s here to admonish others for “LARPing as leftists” while posting violent disturbing poo poo all over the forums. thanks for working your asses off, mods

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

feel like this could have used a montage/sequence about how all the big movies now are sequels, reboots, spin offs, re-tellinga, or otherwise come from existing IP and how it’s a dead end culture

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
hmm, seen a lot of peeps reacting v. badly to that one 'neocon' quote but i think it might be a bit of an (unnecessary) knee-jerk. on the surface it looks really bad, but if you put the quote into perspective and compare it to the rest of his works, I think his use of 'neocon' is either completely mistaken or just incredibly ideosynchronous. i don't think he's using it in the Bush/Gingrich sense, not some Iraq-war jockey wishing to teach countries democracy and peace by massacring the civilian population. I read it more as a something akin to Scruton or Houellebecq's analysis of life in modern western societies. the traditional spaces and groups that gave individuals their sense of purpose and direction are lost while the dogma of individualism falsely promises each person true autonomy and the possibility of realising their innermost dreams and desires.

Curtis is concerned with the incredible alienation that seems to dominate modern societies, and unfortunately, most of the people concerned with that kind of alienation, like Scruton and Houellebecq do so from a very conservative position. i think Curtis agrees with the conservative description of the symptoms, but would completely deny the roots of the problems these conservatives accept (destruction of link between individual and family and state by feminism, liberalism, gay-rights, idpol etc.) as well as their solutions.

Curtis isn't perhaps the best example of a true (radical) left thinker, but i don't think there's any reason to believe him to be a crypto-neocon or lib, or even to believe he holds many liberal or conservative positions. as disappointing as it might be, his analysis of life under modern capitalism and the complete inability for modern (left) politics to offer solutions is still the most radical cultural products the mainstream is capable of producing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Sorry to interrupt but Im fixated on the term "crypto-neo-conservative"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

he says in the red scare interview he’s a “progressive” and like a lot of people “in his cohort” (or something like that) he does not have a comprehensive politics, and he’s suspicious of those who do

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I heard nothing but hype about this without any context, so I was confused to see that the first episode consists of broad, vague premises (if any) mixed with stock footage and ominous music from John Carpenter's The Fog

Ah, so I see this is indeed pseudo-intellectual rubbish that is fun to watch like Zeitgeist. ok got it

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Dmitri-9 posted:

Hitler did nothing wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol great job flavius. you're smart as hell and definitely probated the right guy in this exchance. Thanks for working your rear end off dude.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I heard nothing but hype about this without any context, so I was confused to see that the first episode consists of broad, vague premises (if any) mixed with stock footage and ominous music from John Carpenter's The Fog

Ah, so I see this is indeed pseudo-intellectual rubbish that is fun to watch like Zeitgeist. ok got it

i thought it was a fine and entertaining examination of how we got to ~capitalist realism~

there was some stuff i disagreed with but broadly i think it made good points about the failures of the 60s and the turn to the market, individualism, and culture that we’re stuck in

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

AnEdgelord posted:

Sorry to interrupt but Im fixated on the term "crypto-neo-conservative"

it really is such a meaningless phrase. the whole point of neo-conservatism is this pathological, almost millenarian need to 'solve the world' by putting your ideology into practice. being a surreptitious neo-con is entirely self-defeating

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

not sure why this virtue signaling psycho isn’t permabanned, to be honest. really glad he’s here to admonish others for “LARPing as leftists” while posting violent disturbing poo poo all over the forums. thanks for working your asses off, mods

its pretty good that guy keeps getting to come back here to spray diarrhea in random threads

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
:)

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

a Loving Dog posted:

a Loving Dog posted:

lol great job flavius. you're smart as hell and definitely probated the right guy in this exchance. Thanks for working your rear end off dude.

so you're seriously an epic FYAD ftw epic bacon goonsir guy and you're complaining about moderation? while modsassing no less. lurk more.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Nailed it dude. Great job! You should threaten to kill me next or whatever

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gaupo Guacho posted:

so you're seriously an epic FYAD ftw epic bacon goonsir guy and you're complaining about moderation? while modsassing no less. lurk more.

going to need to see some citations if you're trying to make the claim that bacon is not epic

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

little munchkin posted:

going to need to see some citations if you're trying to make the claim that bacon is not epic

Can't think of anything more epic than bacon. The only problem is you have to decide whether to eat it like a sir, or like a boss.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Koos Group posted:

Can't think of anything more epic than bacon. The only problem is you have to decide whether to eat it like a sir, or like a boss.

absolutely,

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Wtf is this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mila kunis posted:

Yes, it is. I responded to you upthread as to why curtis' analysis of it is superficial and wrong.

Because almost all of that post can just be responded with that's not accurate and Curtis is right.

Like the Soviet space program sending a man to certain death or Mao's China going through virtual stagnation, especially compared to China post 1970s.

I do agree with him framing Palestine not in the best light but that seems to be uncharacteristic of him at least judging his works about Arab nationalism.