Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Eggplant Squire posted:

Piccolo in that image makes me laugh way harder than Dr Doom in front.

I wish that there was a rapper who dressed like piccolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
https://twitter.com/Eternal0Star/status/1360369142944071681

gently caress me, thought he was talking about teh thing on his face before i saw the shirt

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've found means-testing fetishists tend to shut up if you ask them whether we should introduce a complicated bureaucratic process to determine who is or is not allowed to use public schools, libraries, roads, parks, and other longstanding public services where we somehow don't seem to care whether they're absolutely do-or-die necessary for everyone using them

nobody's interrogating every person in the library to make sure they really can't afford to pay $12.99 for the newest dan brown thriller

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

imagine if we sent around cops to everyone in central park just making sure they don't have a perfectly good yard they could be sitting in instead

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

imagine if we didn't let kids go to public school if a complex, arcane bureaucratic process wasn't used to determine their parents couldn't afford private school even if they took out a predatory high-interest loan

imagine if the loan was attached to the kids instead of their parents

how is that nightmare scenario different from our higher education system, like, at all

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

I've found means-testing fetishists tend to shut up if you ask them whether we should introduce a complicated bureaucratic process to determine who is or is not allowed to use public schools, libraries, roads, parks, and other longstanding public services where we somehow don't seem to care whether they're absolutely do-or-die necessary for everyone using them

nobody's interrogating every person in the library to make sure they really can't afford to pay $12.99 for the newest dan brown thriller

Maybe they should????

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh, sweet, another one

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1362060747921125385

(carl is joking)

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

loquacius posted:

Tell them to base subway tickets, museum admittance, and national parks off means testing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

40% and 60% are actually fairly similar ratios

he's acting like this is the same figure as if 90% of debt was in the top 10% but it's actually really close to saying "debt is universal across incomes"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

loquacius posted:

he's acting like this is the same figure as if 90% of debt was in the top 10% but it's actually really close to saying "debt is universal across incomes"

he's also conflating income with generational wealth

Just because someone took out $250,000 in loans to become a MD doesn't mean that their parents were MDs

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

loquacius posted:

it's literally a fox news talking point too: https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/student-loan-forgiveness-who-benefits-most

and the 60th income percentile isn't even remotely rich. that's a $78k household income.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"We can't be forgiving debt held by rich people"

"Okay, can start by forgiving the debt held by poor people?"

"No."

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

considering how unequal the US is, this makes debt seems like a pretty equally distributed burden across incomes

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

For those lurking who wonder why the left has a criticism of "identity politics", this is it. It's not the right-wing "saying racism exists identity politics!", it's "oh you're criticizing me for some bullshit I did? How sexist!"

It's like how black conservatives imagine "the race card" to be and immediately claim they're being lynched when they receive any criticism (lookin at you justice thomas)

You voted for Biden

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Dolphin posted:

"We can't be forgiving debt held by rich people"

"Okay, can start by forgiving the debt held by poor people?"

"No."

we could push poor people even further into debt and choose not to, therefore we are providing debt relief by not doing that action. thank us vote for us

ok nevermind actually we're doing the first thing anyway

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/loganclarkhall/status/1361806191253458944?s=20

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

he's also conflating income with generational wealth

Just because someone took out $250,000 in loans to become a MD doesn't mean that their parents were MDs

this is coming dangerously close to trying to explain the concept of class to liberals. I don't know if that is possible.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

trump nominated linda mcmahon

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Eggplant Squire posted:

Maybe they should????

Congratulations, you've made me want to punch my monitor. I don't think that's ever happened before.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

loquacius posted:

It just a dumb reason to not help people as well. Who cares if a tiny fraction of people get help that don't need it. That's not a valid reason to deny help to the vast majority of people that do need it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Doctors should get all their loans forgiven and then have their salaries cut by 66%.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

If people are that worried about high earners getting too much help from the debt forgiveness then why not just tax that group more to fund it? Fairness problem solved.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

I mean the deal was obviously between the American people and their government anyway but

if you want to know the deal between the american people and the government, log on to the payment portal for the IRS and check out the animal avatar your were assigned

hint:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

PhilippAchtel posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1361872383250939906?s=19

Love my racist grandpa president!

He, and the Dems he perfectly represents, are good!

Everyone talked about the bottom tweet, but I enjoyed the implication by president most-woke-ever that every kid involved with a gang deserves to be shot dead in the street by cops

lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

never trust a "poli sci" professor (moronic pseudo discipline that replaced political economy) who is self described fanatical about a sports team

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Raccooon posted:

If people are that worried about high earners getting too much help from the debt forgiveness then why not just tax that group more to fund it? Fairness problem solved.

The Democrats are devoted to enriching the capitalist class, until there's a universal program. Then there MUST be means testing so the rich won't get unneeded help.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhilippAchtel posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1361872383250939906?s=19

Love my racist grandpa president!

He, and the Dems he perfectly represents, are good!
"All cops are good. Conversely, not all black people are bad!"

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Lmao the top 40% in that study is a household income of at least $74,000

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mcmagic posted:

Doctors should get all their loans forgiven and then have their salaries cut by 66%.

who let the frenchman in

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Raccooon posted:

no, that's not nearly convoluted enough

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Funny how they never mention that 99.999% of the profits from 100% of the loans go to the top 1% :thunk:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

no, that's not nearly convoluted enough

But then someone who didn't deserve it (a poor person) might get some help.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Still just a huge self own that the democrats didn't call witnesses and drag out every detail of January 6th on the record because they wanted to go home for Valentine's day.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Thoguh posted:

Still just a huge self own that the democrats didn't call witnesses and drag out every detail of January 6th on the record because they wanted to go home for Valentine's day.

Chris Coons had to coom

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Oh but I'm sure Pelosi's Warren Commission for 1/6 will do that, yup that'll happen

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Wonder if the Democrats realize how they look from the cumulative failures to accomplish anything? Like voters went out and gave them full control just to watch them flail around impotently. Now even showing they are too lazy/defeated to even try anything.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raccooon posted:

Wonder if the Democrats realize how they look from the cumulative failures to accomplish anything? Like voters went out and gave them full control just to watch them flail around impotently. Now even showing they are too lazy/defeated to even try anything.

Listen its only the first month back in charge you can't expect them to do something.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Top City Homo posted:

never trust a "poli sci" professor (moronic pseudo discipline that replaced political economy) who is self described fanatical about a sports team

he definitely read a whole bunch of my replies to him, because he responded to me exactly twice, but then stopped, leading me to the inexorable conclusion that I have owned him, a polisci professor, in a political discussion

I think he owes me his tenure now or something?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Oh poo poo, Limbaugh died. When is Biden's eulogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1361859126830243843