Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Gooses and Geeses posted:

https://imgur.com/2xGzD4D

I got this lad who looks quite good to my newbie eye, and Discord seems to agree.

How do I avoid screwing him up with his training and progression?

Nice bowl cut. Try to keep his form up and give him playing time when you can, it should be easy this season since the rest of our players are poo poo. You want his DV to end up as close to 10 as possible by the end of the season. If you get a big red arrow on his form, that's a good time to order form training. Also try to play him alongside older players to keep your average age around the 26-29 sweet spot. I know that improves performance but iirc it's also important for DV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Note that Moody can be a really loving annoying trait.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

But oh so sweet when they play that game about 6 skill bars above their level!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Nephzinho posted:

Sure can, I just lost a must-win game and among the everything that went wrong was a moody midfielder playing at -25%. It's probably least annoying at forward since you won't feel a striker's bad days nearly as much as opponents will feel his good ones.

For forwards 60% of the quality of their xp is determined by skill of fellow forwards, he needs a mentor. I paired my own 19/6 up with a 29/10 and plan to start them whenever possible, it was a bit pricey but now I don't have to worry about that position for 5-6 seasons. A questionable but very funny thing you could also do is hire a 33+/12+/Powerful Shot forward to decay in front of him and sometimes break a game open from freekicks.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I missed out on buying a key player with a name that would go well in presses and I’m immeasurably disappointed.

Did anyone buy Ture Frankelius?

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Rapner posted:

I missed out on buying a key player with a name that would go well in presses and I’m immeasurably disappointed.

Did anyone buy Ture Frankelius?

When you name request for a year real time and finally get a youth with above average stats with your funny name but he’s injury prone... hurts bad.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Don't look into the forums of this game. It's... bad.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

ephex posted:

Don't look into the forums of this game. It's... bad.

The Xpert Ladies league used to have an endless number of cringey team names and press releases. It doesn't seem to be quite as bad these days but here is a nice one from my current division:

quote:

The team, Harley Quinns needs more econ to afford to purchase the quality of player they are seeking. A car wash is held as a fundraising event and the wet, soapy players draw lots of media attention and cars line up and wait hours for their turn! The club received a handsome amount as a result.

I'm also in another league with an average age of 65, thankfully there isn't a lot of chatter going on, but this one from the "introduce yourselves" thread made me LOL:

quote:

Team Name: Soviet Resistance 1941

From: I was born in Murmansk in Russian Lapland and now live in Manchester UK. Murmansk is big shipyard and was very active in World War 2 when German swines tried to take it for northern operations. All of Murmansk and Kola Bay Area fought German swines in 1941 and resisted Nazi. It is very unknown about this as Murmansk is too far north to be thinking about for most Europeans.

Supports: FC Sever Murmansk were team from childhood. They won nothing in many years and then were destroyed by greedy businessmen. Now I support Manchester United.

Fave Player: Igor Akinfeev Russian Goalkeeper is big hero.

Random Fact: In 1987 I am arrested by KGB for theft of metal from shipyard for building K141 submarines. One of the is Kursk you may have heard of. This sank in 2000 in worst naval disaster for Russia. So I am sent to Gulag. Here I met English guy who is vodka smuggler called Jonathan Travers. He is the guy who teaches this poor Russian English. 4 of us escape from gulag and run into Kazakhstan. I hear Jonathan Travers was killed in camel accident much later.

Claim to Fame: So I meet English lady journalist in Kazakhstan who is enchanted with my English and skills with polecat juggling. We move to UK and I become translator. I have worked with BBC and ITV on drama consultation. I have also now worked with President Putin in many exciting translations with leaders of world. President Putin is very keen to ensure he has biggest cock in room and takes many leaders for sauna to check out their luggage.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
The absolute shame that with all my penny-pinching I forgot to leave enough to bet in the pools :negative:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I nearly threw my laptop when I saw the pool and realized I didn’t have enough

Rapner
May 7, 2013

The pool is a lot more confident about my next game than I am...

Edit:

Some pre-season stats:

Strongest teams:

Strongest midfield:

Strongest defence:

Strongest forwards:

Strongest GKs:

Squad value:

Rapner fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 14, 2021

Rapner
May 7, 2013

First match in about 6.5 hours. Remember to set your tactics, especially if I bet on you in the pools.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Don't set your tactics if I bet against you in the pools.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I don't know why you all think my game is going to draw city when I have a decade of form in either crushing victories or utter implosion.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
yay only a few more hours before I remember that I am Bad At This

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I'm going to get absolutely loving slaughtered.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

yay only a few more hours before I remember that I am Bad At This

You say this after I backed you in pools? :tif:

Edit: Congrats to Edgecom FC for winning the pools :toot:

I know I'll come to hate you, you moody diva bitch but for now you're very cool:

Rapner fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 15, 2021

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Drew thanks to a 94th minute goal AND second in the pools

Someone's getting a boot kicked at their head

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

I'm going to get absolutely loving slaughtered.

I stand corrected.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I apparently got manager of the round for Serie B for what amounted to a thrilling game with a single chance combined from both sides. That must have been dire in real life.

At least my 18/5 scored it. Soak in that DV!

Also, if I recall correctly, you should always set a 50k win bonus unless you have 0 dollars. I think the benefit in form is always worth the expense. It also has a pretty quick diminishing returns too.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

off to a great start this season :cripes:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Dragongem posted:

Also, if I recall correctly, you should always set a 50k win bonus unless you have 0 dollars.
Guess what happened!

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Rapner posted:

I know I'll come to hate you, you moody diva bitch but for now you're very cool:

I was planning on selling this guy but then he goes ahead and scores a hat trick in the club's inaugural game...

2 from free kicks and 1 breakaway. Those SQs are certainly making a difference.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Financial success! Didn't have to pay out the proposed win bonus :smuggo:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ephex posted:

Financial success! Didn't have to pay out the proposed win bonus :smuggo:

I always set a huge win bonus in games I know I'm going to lose.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nephzinho posted:

I always set a huge win bonus in games I know I'm going to lose.
This is called the 'Springtime for Hitler' strategy. It's guaranteed to fail!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I have to choose between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3. I guess being long in midfielders isn't the worst thing ever but it feels weird not running 4-4-2

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lorem ipsum posted:

I have to choose between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3. I guess being long in midfielders isn't the worst thing ever but it feels weird not running 4-4-2

I pretty much deviate from 4-4-2 based on injuries or rarely "strategy".

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I really want to bet in the pools but I don't even have enough money for training, let alone mandatory gambling.

bees everywhere posted:

I was planning on selling this guy but then he goes ahead and scores a hat trick in the club's inaugural game...

2 from free kicks and 1 breakaway. Those SQs are certainly making a difference.

Nearly double his rating? Jesus.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Rapner posted:

I really want to bet in the pools but I don't even have enough money for training, let alone mandatory gambling.

Nearly double his rating? Jesus.
High form and moody is a hell a drug. Can’t wait until he plays a low mood, low form 2 skill game against me in some sort of final/decider.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rapner posted:

You say this after I backed you in pools? :tif:

I tried warning you man, I dunno what to tell you

that'll teach you for believing in me

idiot

Rapner
May 7, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I tried warning you man, I dunno what to tell you

that'll teach you for believing in me

idiot

Yeah you can't change your bet after it's filed. We need early payouts or something...

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Next match is this time tomorrow, make sure to get your pool bets in and your tactics if you must

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

I'm getting into a tough spot. My next opponent, Yee Valley has made some big moves on the transfer market, making a win for me dicier, at the same time everyone's bet on me in the pool. Should I throw the game, bet against myself, and go for a second pool win? This game has some difficult strategy to consider.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Canasta_Nasty posted:

I'm getting into a tough spot. My next opponent, Yee Valley has made some big moves on the transfer market, making a win for me dicier, at the same time everyone's bet on me in the pool. Should I throw the game, bet against myself, and go for a second pool win? This game has some difficult strategy to consider.

Just kick his rear end bro. You scared of one 36/11 old fart defender? His transfers could have rolled in with poo poo form. Just pick good tactics you got this.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Hello Yee Valley here.

You have definitely got me beaten: one high rated defender isn't going to swing it with the beating you put out in fixture 1. I'll be doing what I can to stop it (and the above poster is right in that they may have come in with bad form: I have no idea what bad form actually is number wise!) but I think betting on yourself is safe.

Or throw it. I'd love the 3 points.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Hello Yee Valley here.

You have definitely got me beaten: one high rated defender isn't going to swing it with the beating you put out in fixture 1. I'll be doing what I can to stop it (and the above poster is right in that they may have come in with bad form: I have no idea what bad form actually is number wise!) but I think betting on yourself is safe.

Or throw it. I'd love the 3 points.

4 form = 1 skill point essentially. So if your s11 came in with f4 but his s8 has f16, they are roughly equivalent on the field.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
Two wins now (FC Rimmers) but my season is about to go swiftly downhill with all the high skill journeymen that have been bought in the division...

2-0 win away from home and with a lower overall team rating though. It’s my tactics, mate!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Is the transfer market global or is it only goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Subliminal Ninja posted:

It’s my tactics, mate!
Have two of your opponents get injured within the first 15 minutes, absolute genius!