Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

xzzy posted:

So now I'm debating whether to pull up stakes and move the main base or just live with a 2-3 minute run every time we want to use a boat.

I'd say make a secondary base, build a road between the two and use carts to ferry stuff from the shore to your real base. Probably less painful than rebuilding everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
This game could really benefit from Terraria's chest proximity crafting

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

xzzy posted:

Our first server, we kind of wandered around the spawn point until we found water and built next to it thinking it would be useful in the future when we made boats. Turns out it was just a pond in a much larger island. :geno:

So now I'm debating whether to pull up stakes and move the main base or just live with a 2-3 minute run every time we want to use a boat.

PORTALS, PEOPLE! PORTALS!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Finally found an absolutely massive mountain biome. I discovered 8 silver deposits just on the initial scouting trip, and I didn't even reach the top!
Time to close out this exploration expedition, set up a portal, and head back to base to restock and connect.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

PORTALS, PEOPLE! PORTALS!!

I think I’m kinda weird in that I wish fewer things could go through the portals, but only after they make ships about twice as fast. Maybe make it so you can’t take stone and wood through portals? But fully crafted items, like gear, and special items like surtling cores and resin should be portalable.

Losing a ship cargo of sausages to the sea serpent is just a very funny concept to me.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

After finally gaining the courage to learn sailing myself instead of my friend doing it exclusively, it's probably the most fun I've had in the game. Almost capsized with a hold full of scrap iron when a sudden storm hit, but managed to get back to port. That was a hell of an adrenaline rush.

I also desperately need the ability to name my ships.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum
Me and my friend just started playing this, fantastic fun! We also threw up a dedicated server so that we could play whenever we wanted in the same world. But now we want friends! Anyone here wanna join us? We're Euros, so mostly on evening time GMT but anyone's welcome to join!
The IP for our server is 81.233.143.121:2456 and the password is goonswelcome

I'm running it on my own rig at the same time as the game but it seems to be working fine for now.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Martin posted:

Me and my friend just started playing this, fantastic fun! We also threw up a dedicated server so that we could play whenever we wanted in the same world. But now we want friends! Anyone here wanna join us? We're Euros, so mostly on evening time GMT but anyone's welcome to join!

I'm running it on my own rig at the same time as the game but it seems to be working fine for now.

I'll hop in sometime, sure. Just started this weekend so I don't have much accomplished yet.

edit: getting a server not responding message when I try to add the server

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 17, 2021

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I think I’m kinda weird in that I wish fewer things could go through the portals, but only after they make ships about twice as fast. Maybe make it so you can’t take stone and wood through portals? But fully crafted items, like gear, and special items like surtling cores and resin should be portalable.

Losing a ship cargo of sausages to the sea serpent is just a very funny concept to me.

I think portals should come later in the game with fewer restrictions and that the first boat should have a bigger cargo hold.

Maybe a silver tier portal that you can take ore through would be fine.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Merchant rarity/discovery sucks

Taming/breeding isn't taught well

Boats are too slow

e: oh and needs map sharing

That's about the sum of my criticisms, which given the hours my friends have put in already is pretty darn good

On the ore/portal stuff, I think it'd be neat if there were fixed larger portals that allowed any material you could find in the world, and the craftable early tier ones remain as is, craftable high tier ones allow anything (maybe carts etc too?), or use some consumable resource to send ore etc.

victrix fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 17, 2021

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

victrix posted:

Taming/breeding isn't taught well

Taming and breeding feels very much like a placeholder, I hope it gets way more depth to it.

Being able to accidently kill your pet wolf sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

Taming and breeding feels very much like a placeholder, I hope it gets way more depth to it.

Being able to accidently kill your pet wolf sucks.

Having to shift click stacks of raspberries to split off a single you can throw into a boar pen is pretty bad too.

They need a feeding trough or something, plop in a stack of food and the piggies eat a single whenever they feel like loving.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Imo have portal upgrades allow up to two metals below it. Silver upgrade lets you take in copper/tin/bronze, etc. Next upgrade allows iron.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

xzzy posted:

Having to shift click stacks of raspberries to split off a single you can throw into a boar pen is pretty bad too.

They need a feeding trough or something, plop in a stack of food and the piggies eat a single whenever they feel like loving.

I thought they were smart enough to eat a single one from a dropped stack. Have you discovered differently?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Zerilan posted:

Imo have portal upgrades allow up to two metals below it. Silver upgrade lets you take in copper/tin/bronze, etc. Next upgrade allows iron.

That almost makes too much sense....

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Pc hardlocked and i had to hard reboot. Lost my character. Womp.

My world is fine but my original character just poofed away.

Good thing i found out about the console cheats! Spent a bit inputting my skills to what they were before lol. If you can't back up the game make sure you screenshot your skill tabs. Items can be respawned if needed so don't worry bout em!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I want to be able to formally group up and through this have map and icon sharing.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
We're working through the swamp right now and need to find more of it. What's everyone's go to excursion prep/packing list at this stage?

Going to hop in the boat with my full bronze set, fine wood bow, mace/buckler, wood/fire/flint arrows, sausage/carrot soup/carrots, poison resist and healing mead. Should also build a portal and bring mats for another. That's pretty much my whole inventory...

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KingKapalone posted:

We're working through the swamp right now and need to find more of it. What's everyone's go to excursion prep/packing list at this stage?

Going to hop in the boat with my full bronze set, fine wood bow, mace/buckler, wood/fire/flint arrows, sausage/carrot soup/carrots, poison resist and healing mead. Should also build a portal and bring mats for another. That's pretty much my whole inventory...

Leave the building materials / extra food in the boat storage but yeah- your inventory for these ventures are to set up an outpost to enable resource gathering, not for resource gathering itself. So having a loaded inventory is fine

Also don't build your outpost in the swamp itself. Find the nearest biome outside of it, preferably meadow obviously, and build it there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KingKapalone posted:

I pretty much always put down a portal and bring mats to make another one when I go exploring. As soon as you make landfall plop one down. Being able to move back and forth back to your base with all the extra bullshit you'll collect and then stuffing the boat full of ore makes it so much easier. It also gives you a bit of a safety net in case you get killed out there, you can just pop through the portal and sprint to your body so it helps ease some of the tension.

Edit: That said, if I'm done with the swamp and there's nothing else there I'll destroy the gate as I leave.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 17, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Pretty decent little valley for a mountain settlement.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-recommended-graphics-settings/

Normally I'd probably agree, but I love the DoF and motion blur in this game.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I wouldn't bother building portals for every swamp you got to, realistically you will need 4 swamp crypts clears per character to gear up and plopping down a bed on top of a crypt with a roof is generally enough of a safteynet.

Do not hesistate to just run the boat aground near the crypt. Even if it gets smashed while you are inside the crypt, all the mats to rebuild it and all the mats from it are on the ground.

My approach to getting iron has been to just sail around till I see a swamp, run boat right into the crypt, plop down a crafting table, a bed and roof over it, bind to it, repair boat, get into crypt, walk out with iron shove on boat or rebuild boat if it's been destoryed, smash everything and put wood back on boat and move on.

Ability to put down a portal helps with reparing your gear back at base or you can bring a ton of picks.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

jackofarcades posted:

I'll hop in sometime, sure. Just started this weekend so I don't have much accomplished yet.

edit: getting a server not responding message when I try to add the server

Hmm, I put it as public and we just used the IP to connect. Try using 2457 as the port instead.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

You don't need to do this, they'll only eat one at a time. You can just dump stacks of stuff in there and they'll continuously eat 1 every time they become hungry.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

FileNotFound posted:

I wouldn't bother building portals for every swamp you got to, realistically you will need 4 swamp crypts clears per character to gear up and plopping down a bed on top of a crypt with a roof is generally enough of a safteynet.

Do not hesistate to just run the boat aground near the crypt. Even if it gets smashed while you are inside the crypt, all the mats to rebuild it and all the mats from it are on the ground.

My approach to getting iron has been to just sail around till I see a swamp, run boat right into the crypt, plop down a crafting table, a bed and roof over it, bind to it, repair boat, get into crypt, walk out with iron shove on boat or rebuild boat if it's been destoryed, smash everything and put wood back on boat and move on.

Ability to put down a portal helps with reparing your gear back at base or you can bring a ton of picks.

I'm amazed that you can navigate your boat into the middle of the swamp. It's hard enough just going straight down a river.

And that's a lot of crypts. We have like 10 people playing. Our first swamp had 3 of them.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

I'm amazed that you can navigate your boat into the middle of the swamp. It's hard enough just going straight down a river.

And that's a lot of crypts. We have like 10 people playing. Our first swamp had 3 of them.

All at the same time without absurd lag?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I've visited 3 swamps so far and none of them have crypts so that's pretty neat. One of them had some glowy green torches so I thought I was in business but I was just being trolled by a runestone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CRAYON posted:

I've visited 3 swamps so far and none of them have crypts so that's pretty neat. One of them had some glowy green torches so I thought I was in business but I was just being trolled by a runestone.

I had the same problem, I scoped out 4 swamps and the 5th one I found was the one that had crypts in it. Seems like they like to spawn in smaller areas so you will probably find a few of them that are too small to spawn any crypts.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is there any way to get extra storage on the boat? 4 slots is not a lot.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Picked the game up a few days ago and have been playing a ton, both solo and co-op, and it loving rules, I absolutely love it. I've been chilling at Iron since I'm waiting to do bosses with friends, but it's more than enough to handle almost all situations as long as I've eaten decent food.

Had the ground shake the other day and in the process of killing the two trolls one of them, somehow, knocked a tree over in a way that made the log land on top of my building raised up on stilts. It didn't do any damage, so now there's just a big loving tree sitting on top of the building, where it will continue to live.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Talorat posted:

Is there any way to get extra storage on the boat? 4 slots is not a lot.

The longboat has a lot more storage, so make one of those when you can.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

So while fighting a Draugr I learned that if you parry arrows it will stun the archer.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Martin posted:

Quiting myself! Someone joined us, but we cant figure out to communicate with them. If you're playing with us, join us on Discord if you want: https://discord.gg/GcPHTNcz

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I don't go into the middle, maybe I'm lucky, but a lot of the swamps in our world have the crypts right by the disgusting leech infested waters.

I don't bother disembarking into a swamp unless I see a crypt from the boat. Just keep sailing till I find a swamp that has a crypt near the water.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Martin posted:

Quiting myself! Someone joined us, but we cant figure out to communicate with them. If you're playing with us, join us on Discord if you want: https://discord.gg/GcPHTNcz

Communication seems kinda distance based. You can use /w to whisper only a short distance or /a shout to be heard at longer ranges, but I’m not sure how far shouting covers.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I have found the perfect run-down village in a meadow. It's over a river from a forest and swamp, and a small distance from a plains. I don't even need to move all my stuff, the forest has blessed me with copper and tin. I sailed past 2 crypts to get here and have sniped enough goblins to get a fair bit of their metal too.

Also I saw a 1-star troll which I didn't know could happen, guy dropped 10 skins.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

CRAYON posted:

So while fighting a Draugr I learned that if you parry arrows it will stun the archer.

Also works on Greydwarves throwing rocks, perhaps unsurprisingly. It looks extremely hilarious when you swat their projectile and the thrower flails around in what I must assume is wild disbelief. I've tried but not yet managed to do it to a thrown troll rock.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Swamps should be swampy, but I really wish Valheim's were just a biiit nicer. All that green haze and darkness gives me a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

CRAYON posted:

... at some point you will reach ground the pick can't break through. ... It seems like it could be based on the initial height of the generated land, so if you need to build a canal you could probably find the highest point you need to dig through to check if you can get to water there before going gun-ho with the whole project.

I'm not sure this is correct. I can't see what the actual programming is, but there's some kind of physics computing that makes dirt slide down and fill in areas if its steep enough. I'm digging a cut through a hill right now so that I can drag carts easily, and I'm finding that the deeper you go the more steps it takes to open it up successfully, but it can be done.