Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

• Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Oxenfree
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Night in the Woods

Really good walking sim/feels game. I've talked about it a lot before but it really captures the failson/faildaughter journey back home to a crumbling decaying town. Waking up at 4pm and hanging out with your dirtbag friends. It's all very nostalgic for me but at the same time I think it stands on its own even without that connection. 4/5.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
resident evil 3 remake

not as good as the re2 remake but still fun. definitely more action-ey as people mentioned (not as short as i had worried, or im just slow)

re7 is on sale for $10 on psn so maybe ill get that next

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

bump_fn posted:

resident evil 3 remake

not as good as the re2 remake but still fun. definitely more action-ey as people mentioned (not as short as i had worried, or im just slow)

It’s definitely a little shorter, but the thing that amplifies that fact is that once you been through once, you’ve seen everything.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo Switch, 2021)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

1. What the Golf (100%)
2. 198X
3. Still There (all achieves)
4. Yakuza 7 (all substories)
5. Paradise Killer
6. Littlewood
7. Awesome Pea
8. Poi (New Game+)

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Dusk ('I Can Take It' difficulty)
Ultrakill (Early access Prelude-Gluttony)

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

super mario 3d world (wii u)

tied for my favorite 3d mario game with 64. but it’s really in a class of its own. its really sad to play this without miiverse stamps showing mario farting on something at the end of every level though. rip.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2. Spyro 3, 117%. Good poo poo even if a lot of the random mini games they made were kind of whack. At least there was a metric fuckton of them so there was always something different around the corner. And all the actual levels themselves were good.

In Training fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 17, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finally gotten around to playing something this year

1. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Missed this on Wii U, and this was some very high quality Mario. Bowser's Fury is way more than I was expecting, albeit the goals were getting a little repetitive. I'd really like for this to be developed more into a full game for the next Mario.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

bump_fn posted:

resident evil 3 remake

it would be good re2 dlc, instead of a 60 dollar game

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

1. Dark Souls 2: SotFS
2. Stacking
3. Armored Warriors (co-op)
4. Max Payne 3 (medium difficulty)
Fun time. Feels like a natural continuation of the previous games even with a very different setting and presentation.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

2. Suikoden (108 Stars)

My favorite of all the PSX RPGs, first replay in ~15 years. Holds up with great characters, excellent pacing and coming in at sub-30 for a 100% run makes it the perfect length for me

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Youre missing 12 stars. Youre missing out on a cool easter egg

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

being shot to the top of toran castle out of a cannon ftw

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth posted:

Finally gotten around to playing something this year

1. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Missed this on Wii U, and this was some very high quality Mario. Bowser's Fury is way more than I was expecting, albeit the goals were getting a little repetitive. I'd really like for this to be developed more into a full game for the next Mario.

Very embarasses to correct myself that this is number 2.

I already forgot I beat Resident Evil 3 Remake earlier this year.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Cubone posted:

the nemesis system never seemed that cool to me because I never got any of the revenge mechanics or recurring dudes
I think maybe because all I did was kill them (but like... why wouldn't I???)
it was just this endlessly replenishing chessboard of orc boys that the game would say were "enraged by spiders" or "flatulent" or whatever. idk dude seems to me like they all die the same

the premise of it was cool in an otherwise boring poo poo game. the xcom 2 xpack did it better, shame we’ll never see anyone else do it again

also got credits in hades, which I’m going to keep playing more of to do the other stuff, but I’m saying I beat it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the nemesis system is a neat idea but yeah the game doesnt play to the strenghts of the system at all. after like hour 5-10 you're so strong that only one or two nemeses that have been levelling up with you might actually pose a threat and after you kill them (which is the goal of the system so youre gonna) no one else cn ever get to that level. there should have been frewer captains with a higher chance of living through encounters and more reactivity to how you beat them

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. No More Heroes (Mild, True Ending, All T-Shirts)
2. Abe's Oddysee New n' Tasty (Hard Mode all 299 Mudokons saved):
3. Return of the Obra-Dinn
4. Dark Souls Remastered (Platinum Trophy): Beat this for the first time last year or the year before and continued my NG+ but got to OS easily and then got obliterated without doing anything lol because my insanely bad newbie build had like 20 bit and 45 faith and never cast miracles. So I just got the final miracles I was missing from Nito and Gwyndolin and restarted. Tore though the game in like 12 hours compared to my first 101 hour play through lol. Had so much fun now that I know what a build for melee should be like as well as knowing how to handle bs areas like BoC or the area outside the forest covenant. Beat every boss first try mostly except OS. Man this game rules os hard when you know what you're doing. did a dodge only run until I got to Gwynn. H'es a super fun fight but really hard to roll agains and didn't feel like boringly parrying 5 BKs every time I wanted to try so after the first try or two parried him to death mercilessly. Dark Lord ending and Kaathe Covenant ftw

e: Though after having to try any boss more than once I'm glad Sekiro effectively removed all boss runs and just have an idol right beside them. They're not fun or interesting just laborious even when you sprint so slowly past all the enemies on the way.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 18, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
awesome. Sekiro plat next right? I want to see what you think of the endings

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna beat Sekiro next for sure lol. But will probably plat DAS2 after finishing it first, my pal has platted them all and said Sekiro took ages due to the skill points taking multiple playthroughs to grind up.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
You can grind out the last few levels in sekiro in like 2 hours, it’s very monotonous to do it that way though. Dark souls 3 plat is wayyyy worse and probably the worst one due to the darkmoon covenant never summoning

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

blades of the darkmoon is such a waste in 3. you have to jump through all these hoops to get it and then...its the same as the second covenant you get but lower priority for summons. makes me wonder if they were going to add sin in at some point in development and thn forgot

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My friend didn't have too much trouble getting the summons for the convent stuff (she platted all the games) but yeah 3 is def the one I'm most avoiding for that lol. So many covenants needing so many PvP wins lol. DS2 I don't have that many trophies but need to play 1.5 more times to get all the spells from that dude at Drangleic and finish Bernhart and Lucatiel quests. Annoying that 1 and 2 both have some random small thing in an NG++ midpoint you have to go and get an just that. Same as making Sif's soul 3 possible items so you have to go to AL a third time.

e: 2 took me ages to get all the sunlight medals on by doing Nashandra a tonne, such BS if the host did Watcher and Stabber, Nashandra, and Aldia all back to back and you only got one medal or potentially none when they loving healed right beside Aldia's super obvious AOE

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Romancing SaGa (SNES)

Started with Alfred and finished with Sif (joined during intro), Miriam, Aisha, Jamil (all joined ten minutes after the intro concluded), Claudia (joined many hours and several temporary characters later)

What a weird, fascinating mess of a game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Romancing SaGa (SNES)

Started with Alfred and finished with Sif (joined during intro), Miriam, Aisha, Jamil (all joined ten minutes after the intro concluded), Claudia (joined many hours and several temporary characters later)

What a weird, fascinating mess of a game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yakuza 3. this game is fuckin cool and i liked it a lot

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

e: whoops

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Breath of the Wild (120 shrines, 891 korok seeds).

Goes without saying but this game is so good. The highlight was exploring Gerudo city. I was hugely impressed with how much variety and adventure they crammed into a space which I was expecting to be a featureless flat plain. Sand seals in particular were genius. On the other hand, I was hugely disappointed by the Rito village; that one felt like it was just checking off the boxes.

Anyways I'll wrap up the koroks tomorrow and get started on the DLC.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Yakuza 0 - Hard all substories

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Breath of the Wild (120 shrines, 891 korok seeds).

Goes without saying but this game is so good. The highlight was exploring Gerudo city. I was hugely impressed with how much variety and adventure they crammed into a space which I was expecting to be a featureless flat plain. Sand seals in particular were genius. On the other hand, I was hugely disappointed by the Rito village; that one felt like it was just checking off the boxes.

Anyways I'll wrap up the koroks tomorrow and get started on the DLC.

i can't believe another person is going to actually get all of the korok seeds, drat. good luck with trial of the sword.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i can't believe another person is going to actually get all of the korok seeds, drat. good luck with trial of the sword.

I ain't gonna do it a second time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Desperados 3 - Main game + DLC and all Baron's Challenges

Basically more Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun with a western theme. It was also great.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

4. Natsuki Chronicles - Arcade Normal 1cc

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Crimson Flower route. With that, I've beaten all 4 routes in the game. I'll probably continue to replay for years to come (or at least until the next Fire Emblem if it's as good as this one) just for love of the gameplay, to find all the hidden bits of lore that you couldn't really understand without seeing having seen another path first, to see all the different character endings based on how you pair them, etc but it's still a nice feeling having seen the story from every possible angle.

Spoiler tagging my thoughts on this route specifically since you can't really discuss it without spoiling all the others too: It's interesting that you never really feel sure if you're doing the right thing, Edelgard's dream of ending the nobility and the Church's control of the land is a good one and feels like a good goal to work for, but Edelgard's just as ruthless as ever and it feels like this route is especially a bloodbath in forcing you to kill all your friends from the academy (I think Marianne and Raphael are the only characters that I didn't either recruit before the war or have to kill during it) so you never really feel good about it. Having to kill your friends in a war that was forced on all of you definitely feels different than killing your friends in a war that your other friend started and you decided to help her with lol.

It's also interesting that they basically just came out and said that whoever you side with are the good guys specifically because you sided with them, Rhea's descent into madness and cruelty only happens as a direct result of you betraying her and spoiling her plans to revive her mother, while Edelgard has a line where she says that she feels like your friendship helps her keep things in perspective and that without you she thinks she'd become a harsh, coldhearted leader--which is exactly who she is in the other three paths.

I really like Edelgard as a character, so it was nice to be a friend to her and see all her support conversations and her side of the story, and I thought the conversation you have if you choose to marry her like I did was a nice end to the game that takes some of the sting out of spending the last several hours murdering all your friends. But at the end of the day I think I like her better as a tragic, sympathetic villain than as a flawed hero so I don't know if I'll be doing this route again. It also leaves a bad taste in my mouth having Hubert alive at the end of the game lol

Feb 2, 2005
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble.

I played this game on a display SNES at Sears while my family was waiting to get out family portrait taken. Even at 12 years old something about the way it looked troubled me. It looked like plastic where the preceding two games looked like clay. It stank of the worst type of appalachian Americana. Who invited the Country Bear Jamboree?

Who would ever swap the jungle for this setting? The first world especially doesn't feel like DKC at all. I feel like I'm playing a cheap Salute Your Shorts tie in by Acclaim or Interplay. Donkey Lips Kong.

I remember my mother coming to check on me periodically at the demo kiosk. The year before I'd gotten lost in a blizzard and she went through a very protective phase. She was wearing a black dress and shiny earrings. This was 18 years before American politics snapped her brain and she created an unhealable rift between us.

"Is this something you'd want for Christmas?" she asked.

I shook my head and felt the stiff collar of my white shirt rub against my neck. I already had an N64. I had played Mario 64. This game, brand new, was already a relic.

The game stuffers without David Wise doing the music. The music that is there is servicible, but I can't help but wonder about the jug band bops and hambone beats that Wise would have written with the new setting. But even that would have been a poor balm to spread over uninspired levels. Never once did I get a wow moment. Never once was I pleasantly surprised by a new mechanic or the placement of a bonus barrel.

Why does Kiddy Kong exist? He brings no new mechanics to the game. He serves the same role as DK did in the first game. He's the heavy. We have a heavy. His name is Donkey Kong. The main character of the series is unplayable more often than not in the SNES trilogy that bears his name.

There is one thing that I will give the game credit for--i found all the secrets myself. The removal of bustable walls that are all but unmarked is to thank for this. It was a black mark on the original and I'm glad it's gone.

I can't recommend this game. I played it because it occupied a small space in my head for 20 years. Space that can now be cleared, ready to be occupied by some other skulking thing that took root when I was young and the world was magic.

103% 6 hours 12 minutes. Rating: Kool Kong

Quote fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 20, 2021

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That’s crazy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quote posted:

I played this game on a display SNES at Sears while my family was waiting to get out family portrait taken. Even at 12 years old something about the way it looked troubled me. It looked like plastic where the preceding two games looked like clay. It stank of the worst type of appalachian Americana. Who invited the Country Bear Jamboree?

Who would ever swap the jungle for this setting? The first world especially doesn't feel like DKC at all. I feel like I'm playing a cheap Salute Your Shorts tie in by Acclaim or Interplay. Donkey Lips Kong.

I remember my mother coming to check on me periodically at the demo kiosk. The year before I'd gotten lost in a blizzard and she went through a very protective phase. She was wearing a black dress and shiny earrings. This was 18 years before American politics snapped her brain and she created an unhealable rift between us.

I shook my head and felt the stiff collar of my white shirt rub against my neck. I already had an N64. I had played Mario 64. This game, brand new, was already a relic.

The game stuffers without David Wise doing the music. The music that is there is servicible, but I can't help but wonder about the jug band bops and hambone beats that Wise would have written with the new setting. But even that would have been a poor balm to spread over uninspired levels. Never once did I get a wow moment. Never once was I pleasantly surprised by a new mechanic or the placement of a bonus barrel.

Why does Kiddy Kong exist? He brings no new mechanics to the game. He serves the same role as DK did in the first game. He's the heavy. We have a heavy. His name is Donkey Kong. The main character of the series is unplayable more often than not in the SNES trilogy that bears his name.

There is one thing that I will give the game credit for--i found all the secrets myself. The removal of bustable walls that are all but unmarked is to thank for this. It was a black mark on the original and I'm glad it's gone.

I can't recommend this game. I played it because it occupied a small space in my head for 20 years. Space that can now be cleared, ready to be occupied by some other skulking thing that took root when I was young and the world was magic.

Lol cool write up

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Quote posted:

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rating: Kool Kong