Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My map is hot hot dogshit. It's a ton of rivers and archipelagos. It's interesting but a hassle to navigate. I'm building bridges where I can but it's taking forever.

Anyone have a particular seed they like? Since i can port over my character, I'll just transplant all my stuff into something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Cobbsprite posted:

I'm not sure this is correct. I can't see what the actual programming is, but there's some kind of physics computing that makes dirt slide down and fill in areas if its steep enough. I'm digging a cut through a hill right now so that I can drag carts easily, and I'm finding that the deeper you go the more steps it takes to open it up successfully, but it can be done.

Hmm I could have sworn I tried something similar to what you're describing, maybe I will revisit the area to see if I can get down any deeper. My attempt at a canal is like 2-3 times your depth in spots though.. so I may have just reached the limit.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

genericnick posted:

All at the same time without absurd lag?

The most at once is 8 I think. Ten have been regulars and 3 others have only played for an hour or so. Noticed a bit of lag at one point, but they also just improved the server performance in the patch.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the random base attacks. Everybody logged off for the night and I'm like, I know, I'll just do this one chore in the new-ish unfortified base and boom instant skeleton surprise (and that's probably one of the less annoying ones). Having to think about how to set up your base so it can be easily defended is definitely a part of the game I enjoy, but it seems to work out to just "dig a moat around everything", which is ugly and boring. :negative:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think my random base attacks are bugged, I got hit with a wave when I changed my base to a tiny shack far away that I just needed to rest at, I sprinted away because I had just respawned after dying but the "THE FOREST IS MOVING" message is still on the map pointing to the shack that I ran away from some 15-20 hours later and I haven't gotten another attack. :waycool:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

The most at once is 8 I think. Ten have been regulars and 3 others have only played for an hour or so. Noticed a bit of lag at one point, but they also just improved the server performance in the patch.

Ah that might be it, thanks. I tried it with a group of about 8 on the weekend and it was completely unplayable.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Is upgrading particularly worth? Iron isn’t hard to get but man, it’s gonna take a lot...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In my game we've probably reached what endgame can give us, so we went looking for the last boss, and finally found a runestone marking his location and went for him straight away:

For our trouble we got a shiny PLACEHOLDER ITEM !

After that we went looking for what's on the edge of the world

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

idiotsavant posted:

Is upgrading particularly worth? Iron isn’t hard to get but man, it’s gonna take a lot...

In my experience upgrading tools increases durability by a ton and upgrading weapons increases damage but a worthwhile amount, but upgrading armor hasn't been particularly noteworthy so far.

One fun little encounter I had: I settled in a meadows situated between a Black Forest and a Plains, right near a little abandoned village. One day the fog rolls in and I decide to wander into the village and check for beehives and chests since I didn't want to go too far out--turns out it was absolutely not abandoned, and had shitloads of draugr streaming out of a corpse pile in what used to be the long hall. I lost my mind when I saw them sprinting at me out of the fog.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Do ooze bombs explode? Or are they just poison balls? Also, man does poison wreck my poo poo

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Sab Sabbington posted:

In my experience upgrading tools increases durability by a ton and upgrading weapons increases damage but a worthwhile amount, but upgrading armor hasn't been particularly noteworthy so far.

One fun little encounter I had: I settled in a meadows situated between a Black Forest and a Plains, right near a little abandoned village. One day the fog rolls in and I decide to wander into the village and check for beehives and chests since I didn't want to go too far out--turns out it was absolutely not abandoned, and had shitloads of draugr streaming out of a corpse pile in what used to be the long hall. I lost my mind when I saw them sprinting at me out of the fog.

Is bronze armor worth the speed decrease? Upgraded troll armor is the same as bronze without the slowdown, but if upgraded bronze armor isn't worth it so then upgraded troll seems better.

edit: friend just died and his tombstone isn't there. Another friend can see it but can't use it. It also isn't in the exact spot he died. Is all of his stuff gone for good?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 17, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KingKapalone posted:

Is bronze armor worth the speed decrease? Upgraded troll armor is the same as bronze without the slowdown, but if upgraded bronze armor isn't worth it so then upgraded troll seems better.

Eh I think if you already have upgraded troll armor it's prob okay to stick with that instead of spend all the bronze to get a new set up to the same level. I plan on moving to Iron armor because the jump in armor seems much more worth it there.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

Eh I think if you already have upgraded troll armor it's prob okay to stick with that instead of spend all the bronze to get a new set up to the same level. I plan on moving to Iron armor because the jump in armor seems much more worth it there.

I skipped troll and went to bronze but feel kind of slow compared to my naked corpse runs.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Finally finished my dockhouse. Wasted a lot of time attempting this before I got log poles.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Baiard posted:

Finally finished my dockhouse. Wasted a lot of time attempting this before I got log poles.

Looks cool as hell gonna steal this idea. :wotwot:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

explosivo posted:

Fully upgraded armor is as good as the next tier up, so level 4 bronze armor is as good as level 1 iron armor, level 4 iron armor is as good as level 1 silver, etc. The notable exception seems to be troll leather, but that's mainly because it's the last light armor set in the progression.

We had great luck with silver on the server I'm playing on, and I'd recommend any groups to just cheese swamp boss by building a tree base and shooting a bunch of frost arrows at him. Bosses drop 1 of each item for every player on the server, so if 6 people are on when swamp boss dies, you get 6 macguffins. Bosses aren't a thing you need to farm, and all the iron you get from the crypts should absolutely just go directly into whatever you need to beat the boss. You're probably fine with fully upgraded bronze armor and an iron mace, so even though it seems like you need X amount of iron per person to kit them out, it's probably best to just fully upgrade bronze, skimp on the iron so you can use it for tools, and then go dig up a mountain for the silver. Use your iron on tools and a longboat, not armor, because there are no silver tools.

Third tier stuff is weirdly positioned in the progression, mainly because it sets up the idea that you need to farm bosses for a key of some kind to progress when that's the only time it happens in the game.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Fishstick posted:

This game could really benefit from Terraria's chest proximity crafting

This would be so loving good

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

genericnick posted:

Ah that might be it, thanks. I tried it with a group of about 8 on the weekend and it was completely unplayable.

The netcode is almost entirely p2p, so having lots of people in one area dramatically increases the amount of network traffic. This also means that if you have any one person with a bad connection, they're now making everyone in range lag.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
You all are making me jealous with your beautiful, well designed houses, while I just kinda move between cobbled together shacks trying to scrounge up enough ore.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Also do you get all the magic red cubes back when knocking down the smelters? I did the new mistake of putting my fist base next to the spawn stones, and I'm thinking it's better to just move it to the southern shore now where it isn't constantly hitting the exclusion zone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mrmcd posted:

Also do you get all the magic red cubes back when knocking down the smelters? I did the new mistake of putting my fist base next to the spawn stones, and I'm thinking it's better to just move it to the southern shore now where it isn't constantly hitting the exclusion zone.

You do, I think the current theory is that you may not if the thing you demolish isn't fully repaired at the time so make sure to whack it with the repair hammer first but yeah everything in the game should give full refunds back when you demolish it which is amazing for a game like this.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

KingKapalone posted:

It mostly comes down to preference tbh, and how you play the game. Damage avoidance altogether is pretty easy once you get the hang of rolling/parrying so troll leather stays effective for a long time, but iron+ is my preference because I can just tank hits. And it looks real cool, which is most of it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mrmcd posted:

You all are making me jealous with your beautiful, well designed houses, while I just kinda move between cobbled together shacks trying to scrounge up enough ore.

Let me invite you to a small tour around Haraldstad.

Here is the main building and a warehouse with the smelter and the kiln. (which barely fit inside)

The not-quite-so-long-house is comfortably cozy with the correct amenities although I'm having issues fitting all the upgrades in. So far I've been too lazy to make a new building for the forge and workbench.

The big house in our multiplayer was not built by me so I've enjoyed upgrading the small hut when needed.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So Theres a mountain biome at my starter island. Also Apparently Its not somewhere you should go before the second boss. RIP.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

jackofarcades posted:

I'll hop in sometime, sure. Just started this weekend so I don't have much accomplished yet.

edit: getting a server not responding message when I try to add the server

Try port 2457, that worked for me. Steam can be funny about port numbers sometimes.

Regarding fishing chat: I've found it very effective to take a boat about 3-5 metres away from the shore before casting only a few metres away around the boat. You'll very often catch the big, 4 meat fish (since they seem to spawn more often in slightly deeper water), lots of 2 meat fish and never the small fish. It also means you'll spend very little stamina reeling them in.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
gently caress the swamp boss. gently caress him.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bardeh posted:

gently caress the swamp boss. gently caress him.

He’s a big tedious goopy jerk

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Oh you thought you were done with iron? Surprise, the plains armor also needs iron bars.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

mrmcd posted:

On top of the item having to be at full hp in order to get all of the mats back, there's currently a bug that leads to you only getting a fraction of the full cost back. So before you take them apart, it would be wise to either make a backup of your save file or have enough surtling cores available to rebuild them regardless of how much you get back.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Bronze armor in particular I would honestly skip because it's such a massive pain in the rear end to cart around all that ore. Fully upgraded troll keeps you moving fast in the lovely swamp biome, which will help keep you alive, and you get iron stuff really quick once you find the swamp.

thark posted:

Oh you thought you were done with iron? Surprise, the plains armor also needs iron bars.
It was a bit of a letdown that this didn't use the new metal, since you can get metric tons of the stuff super easy by just killing plains mobs.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

You don't need that much to be fair, it's 30 bars for the whole set.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wish we could craft mannequins I could use to store all my old sets on

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Show me your houses and compounds!

I restarted, gonna cheat some materials because looking good is more important to me than laboring further (fun though it can be).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For those that were paying attention: it looks like today's patch also improved the dedicated server, the load average is wayyyy down.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Does that affect game performance for clients in busy situations, or is that still bottlenecked by p2p netcode or w/e and the change mostly means lower overhead for managed dedicated server providers?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Looks like today's hotfix broke (fixed?) campfires being built on logs. Anyone else experience this?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've got a ShadowPC sitting out in the cloud, I wonder if I ran the virtual server on it if it would keep the machine alive after I've disconnected. It usually times out and shuts down after 30 minutes of inactivity, but if a program is actively running and consuming resources, it may continue running past that. At worst I might have to leave the game client running so it thinks I'm "playing" a game.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

JerikTelorian posted:

Looks like today's hotfix broke (fixed?) campfires being built on logs. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, we noticed the same. I assume it was an oversight that it worked to begin with.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

mrmcd posted:

I can't even reach Groverhaus levels of ramshackle with my hovels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Just got this game because it's exploding and many of my friends are playing. Tried it out and was pretty quickly bored by the mechanics. The construction system is as terrible as Ark's, and I can't stand endlessly farming materials (stone, wood, food) just to be able to do anything at all. It seems like that I spend 90% of my time searching for stone or cutting down trees.

The reading I did about the more interesting aspects of the game (boss fights and exploration) were what interested me, so my question to folks who have put time into this game - will the things that I do not enjoy go away as I progress, or should I expect those to be major parts of the game? Put differently, does the game break away from being different Minecraft with a bad UI at any point, or am I just supposed to enjoy the zen of collecting things and building an autism temple?

Moltke fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 18, 2021