Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks guys. I’ll spray it down and then try the ONR in my garage...just ordered some from the ‘zon

Are the foaming scrubby brushes at the pay and spray places ever full of grit and stuff that will leave swirl marks?

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

Are the foaming scrubby brushes at the pay and spray places ever full of grit and stuff that will leave swirl marks?

Always.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Most definitely. It's a guilty pleasure of mine to use those on a beater with paint I don't care about (100% makes it look good after), but on anything else it's glass then wheels and the bristles don't touch a painted surface at any time. They will leave legendary amounts of swirls, even if it looks clean. Particularly in winter as people use the brush to knock off the salty gritty slush that's frozen onto their rockers and wheels, thus really embedding the sand into the bristles. If want to do hand action, spray it down with soap and use your own microfiber cloth. Just don't do it when it's busy, they usually don't care if it's fairly empty but at a busy time they'll ask you to stop because you're blocking a bay that's not running.

YMMV.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Other experience with car wash brushes: The bristles are actually fine for paint and don't do damage. It's all the grit and crap that gets packed in there that causes damage.

I take about 15 seconds with the full-pressure blast of the main wand and blast the poo poo out of the brush, and I've never had trouble with swirls or scratches doing it that way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Other experience with car wash brushes: The bristles are actually fine for paint and don't do damage. It's all the grit and crap that gets packed in there that causes damage.

I take about 15 seconds with the full-pressure blast of the main wand and blast the poo poo out of the brush, and I've never had trouble with swirls or scratches doing it that way.

Same. I just washed my wife's truck this way today. I feel bad about it, but not bad enough to do anything else in the winter time.

It will get a buff and a coat of wax in the spring.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bajaha posted:

they usually don't care if it's fairly empty but at a busy time they'll ask you to stop because you're blocking a bay that's not running.

The ones I've been to have signs telling you to not bring your own buckets, soaps and cloths, I'm sure its because if you're using your own stuff you aren't putting quarters in.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leal posted:

The ones I've been to have signs telling you to not bring your own buckets, soaps and cloths, I'm sure its because if you're using your own stuff you aren't putting quarters in.

Whats a sign gonna do to you? I don't see a little enforcer walking around these places. Sometimes you catch someone collecting quarters and refilling soap.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

StormDrain posted:

Whats a sign gonna do to you?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Holy grail of cleanup jobs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbOEzDjz-A

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Intensely satisfying

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Bit of an odd story with that car. It was taken away by police when the PO got "ill" and £20k worth of gear was stolen from it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Reminded me of this one that is also massively satisfying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZlIl74b0Ss

And then I looked and saw it was the same guys. I've never tried any AMMO products but it looks like people are wild about them in some car detailing circles.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Suggestions for taking spray wax off of glass?

I take my car to touch less car washes in the winter and, unfortunately, they all seem to bundle “paint protector” with the under car wash (my city uses tons of salt in the winter). I’ve noticed that after a few washes the wipers will start to squeak. I’ve tried clean and replacing the wiper blades and cleaning the glass but it doesn’t seem to help.

I’ve read a few articles that said to wash the glass with Coke or Pepsi but I really don’t want to be pouring that all over my car.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

70-80% rubbing alcohol and a paper towel.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thank you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ror posted:

And then I looked and saw it was the same guys. I've never tried any AMMO products but it looks like people are wild about them in some car detailing circles.

I haven't tried the products, but dude makes a lot of good how to videos.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’ve bought several products from Larry over the years. Great for hobby detailers, but if you are doing more than one car it’s not as economical.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Mr. Apollo posted:

Suggestions for taking spray wax off of glass?

I take my car to touch less car washes in the winter and, unfortunately, they all seem to bundle “paint protector” with the under car wash (my city uses tons of salt in the winter). I’ve noticed that after a few washes the wipers will start to squeak. I’ve tried clean and replacing the wiper blades and cleaning the glass but it doesn’t seem to help.

I’ve read a few articles that said to wash the glass with Coke or Pepsi but I really don’t want to be pouring that all over my car.

How safe are the touch-free washes for paint?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I immensely enjoyed the Ammo videos but no way am I buying his products. But I’m a subscriber and watch all his videos

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I like Forensics Detailing Channel. He doesn't push stuff that doesn't work and puts a shitload of effort into his product comparisons.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I like how he slaps the bottles.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I will always like Forensic Detailing Channel for introducing me to the Bilt Hamber stuff. Amazing (and cheap) stuff.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone here use the Karcher K2 for detailing their car? Seems to be fine as I only clean my car once a month or so but don't want it to be underpowered.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

They'll do the job absolutely, but don't expect the gpm of your typical washbay wand.

Good to have.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks, any reason to step up to the K3? It's like double the price.

Also, I assume it's easy enough to get foam cannons that connect to them?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

K2 is the internet darling. K3 isn't as highly regarded, but would still do the job.

Noted autist obsessed garage has a speadsheet comparison:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1239/9256/files/Pressure_Washer_Spreadsheet_2-3-21_Update.pdf?v=1612375512

... but don't get too hung up on the numbers.

For foam cannons Karcher uses a proprietary connection, but amazon has tons of options. Don't bother with the expensive ones, Matcc or M Mingle are good.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm looks like I can get one of those Ryobis for a very similar price. Any experience with those?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Sorry I confused the K2 with the K1700.
Yea one of the rated Ryobi probably a better bet than the K2.

No experience with either.

I have a Sunjoe spx3000. It's great, except the hose is short and the powercord is long; I'd prefer the other way around.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’ve got the Ryobi. I bought the tips he used as well. No regrets, no experience with other systems outside car wash ones though.

Edit: totally forgot, I replaced the hose and want almost immediately. The hose was super frustrating, and the gun was long so I bought the pistol style.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 13, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For car washing at least, those pistol "wands" are amazing to have. I bought an aftermarket one for my Kärcher, and it's so much better than the stock solution that I am kicking myself for not finding out about it earlier.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MetaJew posted:

I'm extremely disappointed with the Carpro FlyBy Forte windshield coating.

I got a new windshield in November and saw it as a perfect time to try applying a ceramic glass coating. I had done the exact same thing on my fiance's TTS after she had to get her windshield replaced. For her car I used the Gtechniq G1(i think) and it was kind of a pain in the rear end to apply and then buff off with the second solution that it comes with.

For both cars I cleaned the glass thoroughly, ran a claybar over it, and then used the Carpro Eraser as a final step before allowing it to try and applying the coating.

The Gtechniq has been on the TTS since May and still works well. Water beads and slides off while driving.

For the Carpro FlyBy Forte, I put it on around November 17. We didn't get much rain in central texas until very recently. The rain was so heavy at low speed that I had to use my wipers-- and by the time I got up to speed I found that the water didn't bead at all in the areas where the wipers passed. It's completely dead now. No sheeting or beading.

I emailed the customer service desk and got a response of "Well you must have done something wrong, or something contaminated it before it cured", but it sat in my closed garage for probably 48 hours since we don't drive much.

I just checked the reviews on the product again and found a number of people who had the exact same failure as me in as little as a month or two. I guess I'm not out too much money, but it is tedious to apply, and now I'm not sure if I'll have to use some cerium oxide polishing compound to remove any of the previous coating before I go back and apply the Gtechniq, this time.

/end rant.

I think I'm going to buy the Carpro Ceriglass kit and Gtechniq G1 and redo my glass coating.

While browsing AutoGeek, I saw this spray sealant. Have y'all heard of it or used it?

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-hydroseal-paint-coating.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Would touching up wheels fall under detailing? Because that's what I'm doing while the car is under snow outside. There is some curb rash from the idiot PO and idiot me that I decided to clean up after ignoring for years. Basically I did what seemed to be usually recommended. Cleaned up the area with a wire brush or sandpaper, filler, sanding, painting.

The issue seems to be mostly in the last two steps, since I'm hand sanding small areas, it seems impossible to get everything perfectly level and smooth. Maybe because the filler is softer and would sand down faster, or sometimes not even being able to tell which parts are higher and which are lower. I can feel that something is uneven under my finger, but not exactly what. I could be sanding for minutes and it's still not as smooth as the undamaged parts. Any pro tips?

Before

After

Not terrible, and definitely better than a big black gash, but you can still see it's not completely smooth

https://i.imgur.com/P8EY2O6.mp4

The color actually looks closer in person, but also not perfect and doesn't really have the same metallic effect which becomes more obvious under certain lighting. Is there any chance of getting these nice large and distinctive flakes from a can? I couldn't even find any paint codes for these Miata Enkei wheels.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Do you have small sanding blocks? Curved and especially concave sections suck no matter what. A cross hatch pattern and a small block should help. Your hand and soft paper want to follow all the textures and a block will hit just the higher points. The cross hatch helps for some reason I forget, helps float over a bigger section or something.

Even a thin stiff piece of foam will work. Soft enough to mold to the piece but stiff enough to only follow the general shape.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I use pencil erasers as sanding blocks when I'm sanding guitar bodies. Those pink or white ones you've probably got one laying around the house somewhere. They are just flexible enough to conform to curves and stiff enough to help flatten the paintwork.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nope, I don't have any tiny sanding blocks but I should have at least one pencil eraser, that's a great idea. I'll try it tomorrow!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thumposaurus posted:

I use pencil erasers as sanding blocks when I'm sanding guitar bodies. Those pink or white ones you've probably got one laying around the house somewhere. They are just flexible enough to conform to curves and stiff enough to help flatten the paintwork.

Luthier supply shops are great for fine finishing products. I've got this kit, the blocks are more firm than erasers, but do a damned good job.

https://guitartools-int.com/product/kovax-tolecut-finish-repair-set-kovax-6s2t/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't know if this is the place to ask this, but how durable are body wraps?
This spring, I might be getting a new vehicle, a truck and I've been thinking of getting it wrapped but I have questions. Possibly questions I don't even know about yet.
I'm hoping to take it off the beaten path a bit, and want to protect the paint from scratches. I know its not going to do me any good if I bounce it off a boulder or some poo poo or a tree falls on it. Ultimately my goal is to keep the actual paint from getting "bush pinstripes" as much as possible.

In this sense, I understand that "how durable" would be a question for like, how big are these theoretical branches that might be otherwise making stripes on your body and perhaps how often I wash my vehicles (fairly regularly). Realistically, I anticipate going far enough off the beaten path for something like that to happen only a few times a year, so this isn't something it'll be subjected to on a regular basis. Honestly, even though I don't want to gently caress up a wrap job that costs thousands of dollars, I'd rather it get hosed up than the paint. It seems like it would be less hassle, and cost to re-wrap a fender say, than repaint a fender.

I've checked out a few places and they typically mention that wraps last 4-5 years. I'm hoping for longer, but that'll probably depend on how it gets used on my part.

What sort of things should I look for in a wrap job or business that does this sort of work, besides obviously, reviews to make sure they're not crooks etc.

Is there a type of vinyl thats more durable than another? Like type X is "consumer grade", while type Y is a "commercial grade" sort of thing?

Tell me about wraps yo!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If you're not interested in a color change or graphics, you'd probably be better served by a PPF film like the XPEL product. They're usually thicker and the ones my detailer installs carry a 10 year warranty.

Should be thick enough to withstand mild abrasion without scratching through to the paint, at least better than a typical vinyl wrap.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They're self healing too. A heat gun, or even just the hot sun, will remove imperfections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Self healing? Hmmmmm..... I don't give a poo poo about colour changes. It would likely be a brand new truck, so I'd just get whatever the poo poo colour I want. How do they react to things like wax and such? I've had my current car for 12 years and have only put one or two coats of wax on it, since I bought it, but I might consider doing this more often in the future.