Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good news is TX will have less windmill generated Covid-19 and less 5G generated Covid-19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
Power's maybe on for the next few hours but a water main exploded and so I have to go boil some snow to get enough water to flush my toilet

Also the cell signal is really bad where I am so I can only get updates from the city/state every 2 hours or so and I'm using this window to post instead

Lol
Lmao

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
Death to all new yorkers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What even is the loving point of government if it isn't to do all the things we as individuals cannot and to serve the common weal?

Owning the libs on Facebook.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Malleum posted:

Also the cell signal is really bad where I am so I can only get updates from the city/state every 2 hours or so

retro-crazed Texas youth tuning into CONELRAD

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
If I had a pencil I could turn all this copper wire I've ripped out of my neighbor's walls into a foxhole radio but alas, have to make do with a pair of headphones and the iheartradio app

The future sucks

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from one of the other threads:

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Perry says Texans willing to suffer blackouts to keep feds out of power market
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Perry-says-Texans-wiling-to-suffer-blackouts-to-15956705.php

quote:

Former Texas governor Rick Perry suggests that going days without power is a sacrifice Texans should be willing to make if it means keeping federal regulators out of the state’s power grid.

In a blog posted on House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy's website, Perry is quoted responding to the claim that “those watching on the left may see the situation in Texas as an opportunity to expand their top-down, radical proposals.”

“Texans would be without electricity for longer than three days to keep the federal government out of their business,” Perry is quoted as saying.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/stevenmklein/status/1362428560959541250

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Feb 18, 2021

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

Conservatives using the crisis to take shots at green energy and not experiencing the consequences of their actions is par for the course (loving Greg Abbot sitting nice and toasty in the governors mansion. Some of these ERCOT assholes cutting power to people don’t even live in Texas), but the blackouts have also purified my hate for liberals. Apparently everyone in Texas should freeze to death because Ted Cruz sucks (he does).

https://twitter.com/jaboukie/status/1361743738654117888

Stay out of the replies.

well about that...

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine got this bill from Centerpoint but it's *probably* an error

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Bushiz posted:

im so excited to see mine

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

polar vortex destabilization completely owns

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Real hurthling! posted:

:hmmyes:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

it’s gonna be great when this happens in May and all the crops in the entire nation die and we all starve to death

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Real hurthling! posted:

I think I already know the answer to this, but . . .

If the Polar Vortex is bringing all the cold down HERE, that means the heat that used to be/is supposed to be here had to go SOMEWHERE . . . and that somewhere is the North Pole, isn't it? :(

In other words, am I correct that every time this happens, we can/should expect to see polar warming get a bit worse following that event?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Bushiz posted:

... That's the date. 2021/02/16

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hahahahaha

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Zarin posted:

I think I already know the answer to this, but . . .

If the Polar Vortex is bringing all the cold down HERE, that means the heat that used to be/is supposed to be here had to go SOMEWHERE . . . and that somewhere is the North Pole, isn't it? :(

In other words, am I correct that every time this happens, we can/should expect to see polar warming get a bit worse following that event?
Parts of the Arctic were hitting sustained 100F temperatures and burning through much of last year.

Anomalous heatwaves/freezes, gigastorms, megadroughts, flashfloods, guaranteed multiple foot sealevel rise, and a seemingly unavoidable 3.7C increase in temperature by 2100 bodes ill for this century.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ardeem posted:

OH MY GOD

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
drove around a bit today in arkansas and oh my god the number of people just casually driving around with six inch high snow piles on the roofs of their cars

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Minrad posted:

drove around a bit today in arkansas and oh my god the number of people just casually driving around with six inch high snow piles on the roofs of their cars

That happens everywhere, no one actually cleans the snow off of their car.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Use a broom. It's so easy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Use a broom. It's so easy

I pay an extra $50 a month for a garage so I don't have to, but most people don't even scrape their whole windshield, so good luck convincing the general populace.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Ardeem posted:

that's such a wild coincidence...

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Minrad posted:

Yea a lot of people do that, especially if they're in a hurry to get to work. It'll just blow off on it's own on the highway and then its somebody else's problem.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Minrad posted:

I live somewhere that hardly ever gets snow, why is this a bad idea?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TACD posted:

it will eventually slide off, either forward covering your windshield or backward covering the windshield of the car behind you (and with enough ice and speed possibly breaking it).

neither is good while people are driving.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Minrad posted:

In the northern states, it's supposed to be illegal to drive around with snow on your car, but I haven't actually seen it enforced.

I have seen a sheet of ice come off the top of a Chrysler minivan on I-95 and smash in the windshield and hood of the car I was riding in, though.

The Littlest Hobo
Dec 26, 2004

Either the snow comes off while you are driving and it hurts visibility or it starts to melt and freeze turning it into a block of ice. Then it flies off your car on the highway and wrecks front windows.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Iron Crowned posted:

I pay an extra $50 a month for a garage so I don't have to, but most people don't even scrape their whole windshield, so good luck convincing the general populace.

I know this is a luxury for a lot of people here in MI but after a year here I got a remote start installed in my car and I love it.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
That poo poo is the worst and so many people do it. I have seen people mass pulled over for it though, the cops around here don't mess around with traffic safety issues. (New Jersey)

The worst offenders are loving minivans. "Oh I couldn't reach it to sweep it off" gently caress off you menace. Nothing like driving on the highway and there's a sudden whiteout because some dipshit just hit a pothole and all the snow on their car is now in your face.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's loving cold

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TACD posted:

if you don't take the snow off your car when it's stationary in the driveway, then it'll fall off when you're driving, probably at the fastest or most convoluted part of your route. when your car is in motion, you have no control over where or when or how it will fall off

at highway speeds, this is equivalent to randomly pitching snowballs at the windshield of the car behind you. unless the weather's gone through the right temperature fluctuations to partially melt and refreeze the snow, in which case all the snow on your roof is one huge chunk of ice that could come off all at once at any time

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Main Paineframe posted:

if you don't take the snow off your car when it's stationary in the driveway, then it'll fall off when you're driving, probably at the fastest or most convoluted part of your route. when your car is in motion, you have no control over where or when or how it will fall off

at highway speeds, this is equivalent to randomly pitching snowballs at the windshield of the car behind you. unless the weather's gone through the right temperature fluctuations to partially melt and refreeze the snow, in which case all the snow on your roof is one huge chunk of ice that could come off all at once at any time

I have lived in Colorado all my life and this has never been a real problem. Maybe once or twice when someone was accelerating hard and we were driving into the sun and conditions were perfect then my vision was obsructed partially for a moment, but that's about it. Getting angry at people for not wiping the snow off their cars is a real stretch of the imagination.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
"It's never happened to me, so I refuse to believe it's a problem."

People like you are the reason this country sucks

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have lived in Colorado all my life and this has never been a real problem. Maybe once or twice when someone was accelerating hard and we were driving into the sun and conditions were perfect then my vision was obsructed partially for a moment, but that's about it. Getting angry at people for not wiping the snow off their cars is a real stretch of the imagination.

My friend nearly got decapitated when the sheet of ice and snow on top of the car in front of him flipped up and over and went right through his windshield. It's an issue.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Pryor on Fire posted:

You must feel like the smartest kid at the nose picking contest.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Looking forward to maybe hitting 33 F for the high today here in KC, the first time we've been above freezing since Feb 5 (normal temps are in the 40s for this time of year).

Got lucky that the pipes in my laundry room that froze didn't burst.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pryor on Fire posted:

trhanks for weighing in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I used to be one of those people that didn't wipe off my car and then I was behind a semi that dumped a shitload of snow and ice on me when I was driving and I always do it now.

You don't have to get it all off, like you don't have to go at the top of your car with an ice scraper but at least get most of it so you're not a menace on the road lol

e: plus snow is heavier than you think why drive around with that extra weight when you don't need to