Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Did I make a mistake in buying Street Fighter 5? Graphic fidelity aside, the thread is making it sound like it's still bad.

Play what you like imo, so if you like SFV play SFV

The game play at this point is just not what a lot of the thread is looking for, and imo there's some actively bad design decisions in the game. But honestly none of that matters if you're enjoying it, god knows I love some terrible games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Did I make a mistake in buying Street Fighter 5? Graphic fidelity aside, the thread is making it sound like it's still bad.

Just play it and see if you like. Not much point in getting it if you're going to base your opinion on what a dead comedy forum says instead of your own experiences.

Personally I like to play SFV from time to time. Mostly because they brought back Alex. I love Alex. He's my favorite meat mountain.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't understand the Street Fighter 5 hate, but I started playing it when the Championship edition came out and you got a game with a large player base, 40 characters, rollback netcode, and crossplay for only 30 dollars.

I heard the initial release in 2016 (!!!!!) was rough.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Besides the game itself being a lot less good in 2016, it also didn’t have arcade mode or story mode. It was basically just ranked/unranked online, offline versus, barebones training mode, and survival. It had 16 characters which is a good number, though

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

imagine playing a fighting game you actually liked, that's a silly concept

that's why I play Tekken

(edit: because I don't like Tekken)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 17, 2021

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Just play it and see if you like. Not much point in getting it if you're going to base your opinion on what a dead comedy forum says instead of your own experiences.

Personally I like to play SFV from time to time. Mostly because they brought back Alex. I love Alex. He's my favorite meat mountain.

I also play Alex because powerbombs are cool, and he's got nowhere to go but up in season 5! Which is also true for the other characters I like.

And yeah, don't listen to this boomer and wannabe boomer-rear end thread and play what you like. If SF5 ends up not landing for you, that's fine. If you like it, ignore what anyone in here says about it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 17, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Max Wilco posted:

it's fine, don't worry what most people here say. it's probably the best it's ever been rn, and it's one of the 4 games where matchmaking is actually active.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Max Wilco posted:

A lot of people here, including myself, don’t personally like the game for various reasons but no one here is going to tell you that you’re wrong for liking the game if you do end up liking it. Just know with the other SFV thread on SA kinda slow, you’ll probably need to go off-site to have some more in-depth convos about the game itself with others who like it just as much

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

playing a game that has actual players that you can connect with quickly is a hundred times better than one where you have the same 5 people on discord and no one else ever again

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
SFV is fine, now. At launch it was bad and it's made some dumb self-owns during it's life, especially considering the netcode, but it's also received post-launch support above and beyond what most games would dream of and has repeatedly repackaged itself to give new players point of entry, so it's player base hasn't had the same degree of bleedout DBFZ or Tekken has. It's still SFV and some people really hate the core changes the game has made (it's very prone to large blowups since execution and reaction times to hits are both very generous and a lot of stuff create powerful juggle states, so pulling off big poo poo is easier then ever, it might be the most meter-dependent modern era fighter as a lot of kits without EX or V-meter can be kinda helpless on defense) but it's a much improved and polished version of what it is. It's not amazing, it's fine, but 'fine' is where most of the current batch of games have wound up with DBFZ finally not being dogshit with it's season 3 and Tekken... digging itself a hole with it's own S3.

They're still making major changes to the game mechanics to address complaints and balance issues. The game at this EXACT moment is a pretty solid game if you like the SF style footsies-and-spacing style fighter and while I don't know how much next week's system update will shake things up, I doubt it'll go without some changes if it turns out to need them.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 17, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
vshift might gently caress that game up tho lol, it looks real dumb.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Extra Large Marge posted:

I don't understand the Street Fighter 5 hate, but I started playing it when the Championship edition came out and you got a game with a large player base, 40 characters, rollback netcode, and crossplay for only 30 dollars.

Netcode is trashfire.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jack Trades posted:

Netcode is trashfire.

But I was told it's got rollback!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You'd have to rewind the clock years and view everything from an AssCreed tower to dissect why "SFV is bad" is good and true
Play what you like though dude if you enjoy it!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hace posted:

vshift might gently caress that game up tho lol, it looks real dumb.

dumb as hell but ill have a couple fun weeks making shotos mad if it works out ok

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Jack Trades posted:

Netcode is trashfire.

it's honestly fine now. I wouldn't call it great or anything close to +R or Strive, but it's no longer broken in the way it had been for a long time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's still better than bbtag netcode sadly

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am hopeful for the SF5 balance update even setting aside v-shift, because they actually showed in the trailer that they'll fix dumb poo poo like Chun's v-skill 2 or Juri's v-trigger 2 being completely useless, so they're at least clearly aware of stuff that just doesn't work. I'm willing to believe they'll make reasonably large changes that a lot of characters need to really feel complete or have decisions to make between v skills/triggers. It's like they had some sort of leadership change or something.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saoshyant posted:

But I was told it's got rollback!
There are some wrong ways to do rollback, it turns out, and Capcom's been training hard to find them since the SFxT days, barring the occasional MvCI-style incident where they get the netcode right.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i feel like everyone just forgot about the time sfv installed a rootkit on your computer

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i guess they've fixed it since but SFV's rollback implementation was initially so bad that it poisoned the well and probably set demand for / acceptance of rollback netcode back by years

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i guess they've fixed it since but SFV's rollback implementation was initially so bad that it poisoned the well and probably set demand for / acceptance of rollback netcode back by years

"Look at SFV, we don't need rollback netcode, we're just fine with delay-based netcode, my connection is always fine!" *Goes back to playing DBFZ in 17f delay where fullscreen Super Dash is unreactable*

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

remember when sf4 went from gfwl to steamworks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hace posted:

it's honestly fine now. I wouldn't call it great or anything close to +R or Strive, but it's no longer broken in the way it had been for a long time.

Does "fine" include fixed one-sided rollback? Cause last I've seen it's still not fixed.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Jack Trades posted:

Does "fine" include fixed one-sided rollback? Cause last I've seen it's still not fixed.

Yeah that's what the whole update probably a year back was about, now it does constant corrections and pauses that everyone hates instead.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
it remains to be seen if the strive netcode can pass the greatest test: brazilian wifi players

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
V-Shift is gonna be so loving wild. Can't wait for shimmies to become the primary offensive verb.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Extra Large Marge posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, the netcode is still bad. There's nothing close to like the fix Tekken managed.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

dragon enthusiast posted:

it remains to be seen if the strive netcode can pass the greatest test: brazilian wifi players

does anyone know what the deal is w/ brazillian internet? I thought I read something before about all of the net routing going thru florida which makes every connection to brazil take longer basically. I play with south american players on fightcade all the time and I usually have a max of like a 180 ping with ppl in like uruguay and chile but its always over 200 from brazil even though its closer. why is this?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Zand posted:

does anyone know what the deal is w/ brazillian internet? I thought I read something before about all of the net routing going thru florida which makes every connection to brazil take longer basically. I play with south american players on fightcade all the time and I usually have a max of like a 180 ping with ppl in like uruguay and chile but its always over 200 from brazil even though its closer. why is this?

The Brazilian ISPs basically don't peer with each other and there's not many internet exchanges either, it's basically the wild west and it's easier to route through the USA even for in-country hosts. Their internet is a shitshow as a result, the previous government was really slapping down the ISPs for poor performance but I assume under the current mob it's corruption central again

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

Yeah, basically the routing is hosed + average infrastructure is bad, also it's a continent-sized country, so sometimes you match up with people from the South like me and it's kinda impossible to get under 200 if you're in NA. I think Northeast people actually have decent routes to the USA, sometimes they have a better time playing with Mexicans than Southern Brazilians too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Brazil's infrastructure is problematic to say the least.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The pixel lobby is kinda a neat idea, but it's just so clunky. I definitely see how someone convinced management to go with it though

Luckily in the full release you can just queue for matches right out of training mode or join private lobbies or whatever so you don't have to really engage with it if ya don't want to.

Oh, good. Interest repiqued

EDIT: Also SFV is very good and is still one of my main fighting games though I prefer Samsho and KOFXIV

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 18, 2021

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Spuckuk posted:

Yeah, the netcode is still bad. There's nothing close to like the fix Tekken managed.
The tekken fix isn’t great either, lots of people are experiencing random fps drops after the last patch, and a lot of people seem to think that the netcode itself also got a fair bit worse.

I started accepting wifi matches just because I can’t tell the difference between wifi and wired anymore, but this is not the ringing endorsement I wish it was

Tldr all fighting games are bad

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm super stoked for strive as the netcode is apparently good.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
If strive has instant rematch and simultaneous matches in a private lobby then it will have one of the most robust online experiences for a fighting game which is pretty sad if you think about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the strive beta is installed on my playstation but launchable via the store only. no tile on the homescreen. weird.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish Yoshida-san would let me download my loving beta.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Also in stick news, I got an 8bitdo stick. For $89 I think it’s better stock than a quanba drone but it’s kind of annoying to replace parts. The screw holes are deep torx screws so I have to use a dedicated t10 driver to get them out. There are pads to solder on a 5 pin JLF harness but the stock wiring for the lever is just soldered on directly to the micro switches.

Other than that the quality is really good and it has a battery on the base for connecting to the switch or PC over Bluetooth or WiFi with an included adaptor so it has a very satisfying weight. The PCB is only for Switch and PC but overall I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

the strive beta is installed on my playstation but launchable via the store only. no tile on the homescreen. weird.

I wonder if it won't show up on the homescreen until 7pm pacific.