Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

My cat died, young and unexpectedly, today. I post this not because it was COVID, but because COVID prevented me from being in the room to comfort her as she died. Thank you, world. Thank you for extending this madness. Thank you for robbing me of the experience of saying goodbye to my friend.

I'm so sorry, friend. I never got to say goodbye properly to my cat of 15 years when she passed back in 2016, and it still hurts. It gets better, with time, but it still hurts.

Condolences.

EDIT: cat tax of my current, healthy cat

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the situation was that once Rahm announced he wouldn't run, we had a free for all with 11 mayoral candidates. The top three leading candidates were Toni Preckwinkle, a black woman who's the known and already kind of hated director of cook county, a daley fail brother, and Lightfoot. The universal expectation was that once the runoff was over it'd be Preckwinkle vs the Daley.

Except just enough rich white people and cops in a couple neighborhoods hated the fail daley, or "faley," that they voted for their own homegrown candidate, leading to the hilarious result of Lightfoot vs Preckwinkle. Lightfoot sucked and people knew it but she wasn't as known and everyone had prepared their messaging for daley vs preckwinkle so people went with the person they didn't already know sucked.

and that's how we got lightfoot.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Facebook turned off all news links in Australia because the government tried to make them pay for content. Where are chuds going to get their misinformation now? other than every traditional news source that is owned by Super Murdoch

oh no where can pete evans shill his anti covid lava lamps now

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Paradoxish posted:

This is a fun story about a library near me that had an outbreak in January:

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/ctpost/article/I-knew-I-needed-to-fight-Library-director-15954211.php

Eight staff members positive. Five hospitalized. One dead. This article doesn't discuss it, but a bunch of other cases were traced back directly back to this. Everyone masked up, but of course once you're in a closed environment like this it's pretty much game over.

It's not a remarkable story or anything, but I thought it was interesting since it's a good example of this getting into a workplace and just getting literally everyone sick.

yeah lol this is the fate I'm resigned to, it's just a matter of time before my entire department gets ran through

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

big cummers ONLY posted:

My cat died, young and unexpectedly, today. I post this not because it was COVID, but because COVID prevented me from being in the room to comfort her as she died. Thank you, world. Thank you for extending this madness. Thank you for robbing me of the experience of saying goodbye to my friend.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had a similar experience with my hamster, who passed away a few months ago. If it's any comfort, all the vets I've known are very compassionate people and they were there with your cat in her last moments.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

big cummers ONLY posted:

That loving sucks man. I'm sorry they wouldn't let you come in even for that reason.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Benagain posted:

the situation was that once Rahm announced he wouldn't run, we had a free for all with 11 mayoral candidates. The top three leading candidates were Toni Preckwinkle, a black woman who's the known and already kind of hated director of cook county, a daley fail brother, and Lightfoot. The universal expectation was that once the runoff was over it'd be Preckwinkle vs the Daley.

Except just enough rich white people and cops in a couple neighborhoods hated the fail daley, or "faley," that they voted for their own homegrown candidate, leading to the hilarious result of Lightfoot vs Preckwinkle. Lightfoot sucked and people knew it but she wasn't as known and everyone had prepared their messaging for daley vs preckwinkle so people went with the person they didn't already know sucked.

and that's how we got lightfoot.

Preckwinkle was behind the pop tax which taxed sugary beverages by the ounce (so cheap off brand pop had a huge tax on it), and if didn't apply to Starbucks cold drinks or some poo poo. It also did apply to diet pop, just total disaster implementation

Oh and it was rammed through after performative pink slips for employees because the tax was needed for the budget! But then it got repealed and no one got laid off

Edit sorry about the cat, big cummers

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

poor kitty. at least you gave them a good home.

sorry :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

really? Like my hazy recollection of anyone even talking about the Chicago mayoral election was that "okay, she's black and she's lesbian, but also she's a cop and is probably going to be completely loving awful"

She was a Democrat, there were definitely fans of hers just for that alone

There are people on this very forum who overlook Tara Reade's accusations against Biden as a "conspiracy theory" Because he's a Democrat. Some people are just in this as a team sport and care about nothing else really. It's always maddening, but it gets particularly infuriating during times like this (or Cuomo's Emmy)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

big cummers ONLY posted:

:negative:

so sorry for your loss friend

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

facetoucher cat posted:

Oh yeah we're getting possible tornadoes tonight with flooding so lmao

The weather is dumb. Thank you. This helped for some reason

I'm glad it helped! I hope you feel better tomorrow :)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Classic Comrade posted:

really dont like this fauci guy!!!! i think ive had enough of him!!!!!
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1362070703294537729?s=20

isn't everyone gonna be vaccinated by June according to Biden

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Atrocious Joe posted:

even if that were true it's way too long for them

my cynical conspiracy theory is that the ~5 weeks to full immunity is actually what's stopping these ghouls from allowing vaccines to be a precondition for in-person learning. it's way too long.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

big cummers ONLY posted:

OMG

My heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Doesn't really mean that much imo

Nowhere in the US in a position to just turn on a dime when it comes to their priorities and a lot of those 1.7 million doses are people who need second shots. You've also got scheduling backups that are 3+ weeks long in a lot of places, so first doses would probably take weeks to roll out even in places that were willing to prioritize educators above everyone else.

Fauci is totally right that it's "unworkable" when you understand that "workable" only includes options that get schools open everywhere before May. We could probably do it if we had a federally administered and coordinated vaccine program, but, welp.

Obviously there are logistical hurdles and they couldn't actually be vaccinated in two days. The largest barrier to vaccinating teachers seems to be that many states simply aren't allowing them to be vaccinated.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

big cummers ONLY posted:

:(

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

gently caress. i know how you feel. my wife and i’s cat died in august and it was devastating. we were with her in her last moments, though, covid be damned. i know exactly the pain youre feeling right now. :(

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

as far as being immune from criticism, it's partly because every piece of media like this XKCD comic contributes to building him up his image as the Gen-X/boomer Bill Nye the Science Guy

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Feb 18, 2021

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shame that Cuomo doesn't control this corruption investigation committee like the one that got Sheldon Silver, et al... :v:

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

big cummers ONLY posted:

really sorry :glomp:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

There's only 3.2 million teachers in the entire country that doesn't even seem that hard lol

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Preckwinkle was behind the pop tax which taxed sugary beverages by the ounce (so cheap off brand pop had a huge tax on it), and if didn't apply to Starbucks cold drinks or some poo poo. It also did apply to diet pop, just total disaster implementation

Oh and it was rammed through after performative pink slips for employees because the tax was needed for the budget! But then it got repealed and no one got laid off

Edit sorry about the cat, big cummers

I still think a drink tax is a good idea, just to reduce consumption of sugar beverages. As part of a comprehensive program ideally

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

SchnorkIes posted:

I think we'll get a great booster and still have the supply issues bc of both technical reasons and a lack of willingness to invoke "p" (the circular lib logic is if it's hard and there's no obvious way to help by invoking "p" then why bother)

one of the most baffling things about P invokers is that it is literally a tailor made grifting no bid contract to hand out. Hi pfizer we're going to require that you sell us all this big beautiful vaccine, I'm sorry we forced a bad communist government contract order for huge profits on you.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

lil poopendorfer posted:

I still think a drink tax is a good idea, just to reduce consumption of sugar beverages. As part of a comprehensive program ideally

Wealth tax first.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lil poopendorfer posted:

Hi this is a regressive poverty tax, please gently caress off and don't come back until you understand why you're bad and wrong for this belief

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
trust the science? https://twitter.com/covidperspectiv/status/1362241080566157316?s=21

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Asproigerosis posted:

one of the most baffling things about P invokers is that it is literally a tailor made grifting no bid contract to hand out. Hi pfizer we're going to require that you sell us all this big beautiful vaccine, I'm sorry we forced a bad communist government contract order for huge profits on you.
and a one way express ticket to reelection

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Happy Thread posted:

Wealth tax first.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I grew up poor as gently caress and one of my earliest happiest memories was my dad giving me two quarters to run to the soda machine at the office where he worked to get a 12 oz bottle of soda. I got maybe one every other month.

Rightful persecution of capitalism aside, let's poo poo on the rich before we take happy memories away.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

big cummers ONLY posted:

:( I’m so sorry

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

if Pfizer says, "please give us half of the money we were otherwise expecting" i mean, drat

maybe they're hoping to tap into cheaper markets at 1 dose

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That old bill hicks joke about the first thing that happens after a new president’s inauguration is that they are brought into a room, the lights dim, and footage of the Kennedy assassination plays from an angle no one has ever seen before, and afterward asked, ‘any questions?’

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

fosborb posted:

if Pfizer says, "please give us half of the money we were otherwise expecting" i mean, drat

maybe they're hoping to tap into cheaper markets at 1 dose

ooh that's a fair point. I'll take 1, I'll take 1000 if they say I can go gently caress and suck again

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
id also want to see the neutralization / transmissibility of a single dose. i thought that was part of the magic of the second dose.

but gently caress it, no one is going to behave like they are a potential positive after their second dose anyway. best to get severe disease down to next to nothing as quickly as possible if we're going to insist the only way forward is endemic, forever mutating and evading covid

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

lil poopendorfer posted:

Your math teacher is crying right now and doesn't know why.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

lil poopendorfer posted:

Trumpwrong.gif

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Ald. Daniel La Spata, 1st, last summer called on the mayor to put federal money toward housing relief or other programs to help struggling residents. He said he and other aldermen heard from residents that they didn’t want federal money targeted toward police payroll.

“We asked for assurances they wouldn’t spend it all on police,” La Spata said Wednesday. “That’s the last thing people wanted, to infuse hundreds of millions more dollars into the Police Department right now.”

https://youtu.be/1Q-U2THOF00

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

quote:

There may be uncertainty about the duration of protection with a single dose, but the administration of a second dose within 1 month after the first, as recommended, provides little added benefit in the short term, while high-risk persons who could have received a first dose with that vaccine supply are left completely unprotected. Given the current vaccine shortage, postponement of the second dose is a matter of national security that, if ignored, will certainly result in thousands of Covid-19–related hospitalizations and deaths this winter in the United States — hospitalizations and deaths that would have been prevented with a first dose of vaccine.

ah. 1 dose now.

potentially 2 more doses after we figure out how long 1 dose lasts (we don't know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LOCK HIS SMALL MEATBALL MAKING rear end UP