Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i actually use lightroom to organize my phone pics. big fan of the creative collection here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

icloud for windows does that i guess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

i actually use lightroom to organize my phone pics. big fan of the creative collection here

same. cc is nice. i only have the 20 gb cloud storage package tho so i fill it up fast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im all about lightroom classic

253gb of photos going back to 2007

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
same, if only because i don’t have to worry about paying for storage. plug-ins can be neat too.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

President Beep posted:

idk but maybe something via itunes?

i was thinking about this, but i wasn't sure if it would let me define rules for syncing like that

Jonny 290 posted:

i have too many to "organize" at this point

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I shop for replacements on ebay that ship from the US, have a picture taken by the seller instead of a stock image, and actually have a dell logo on them. For whatever reason a lot of the Chinese knockoff sellers will blur out the dell logo. I've bought several replacement latitude 7XXX batteries this way and haven't been burned (literally lol) yet, but yeah, it is pretty dicey

I did this and got what looks like a real oem battery. just slapped that garbage in the laptop and charging it now. windows thinks it’s good, no issue with bios, if it charges without catching fire I think we’re all good

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

getting pretty tired of sitting down at the computer, popping on my headphones only to have my earlobes discharge a huge static shock

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ESD floor mats are a thing and will probably fix that

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
or a humidifier, which will also help your skin and respiratory system

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa edge updated and now ctrl-h pops up a little history drop down instead of going to edge://history and i loving hate it.

it should be illegal to push an update that changes keyboard shortcuts. holy gently caress.

how do i get back to the old behavior?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol edge

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa edge updated and now ctrl-h pops up a little history drop down instead of going to edge://history and i loving hate it.

it should be illegal to push an update that changes keyboard shortcuts. holy gently caress.

i don't think you can; however, edge is open source! so all you have to do is go into the code, find the relevant section and change it back, then recompile. if you're having issues w/ windows it's not windows, it's you

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Sagebrush posted:

god i hate this. every browser makes searching history ten times harder than it needs to be for no clear reason.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

in vivaldi i just hit F4, the sidebar opens up and i can search history right there immediately

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I'm sorry but we don't help people trying to inflict self-harm here

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

lol

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol at web browsers keeping history, thats the first thing you turn off

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I love finding something good and having to remember there and then to record it’s address for
prosperity

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like you’re using instagram and you think “what was that thing i looked at a moment ago” and since you’re on the app all you can ever do is wonder because there’s no way in hell of just hitting “back” and this is the way it should be

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i don’t use bookmarks really and rely on in-address bar history search for poo poo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

although tbf when i switched jobs a couple of years back i was so overwhelmed by the 4 billion internal sites we have i figured out how to free text search bookmarks from the address bar so i do use them a bit more now

i just hate clicking through tree menus, y’all

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Gentle Autist posted:

i don’t use bookmarks really and rely on in-address bar history search for poo poo

yes i did mean exe, that well-known TLD, thank you

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I've recently started using bookmarks again and it helps my aging, ADHD addled brain.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

firefox does the history sidebar with ctrl-h, hth

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my onboard ethernet will occasionally decide to just stop working. just won't do any network traffic at all. if i disable the card and re-enable in windows device manager it starts working again. i'm guessing this is a driver problem? anyone else ever run into poo poo like this?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

install linux problem solved

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
whats the best way to add sensors to my home in tyool 2021?

i want to add little things like:
* pressure drop across the air filter to monitor when to replace it (or when my toddler left a blanket on the grate)
* room temperature
* maybe outdoor microphones for birdcalls but this would be significantly more throughput than anything else so this might complicate things too much
* also a little set of relays to control the thermostat instead of the dumb digital "smart" thermometer the boomers that used to live here had

i really like doing terminal/ascii poo poo so if this all just showed up as com ports i would enjoy it a lot, but i don't want to run a million wires everywhere so maybe a wire-to-SBC-to-wifi setup would be best. I already have a guestnet so maybe this is the best solution

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're okay with smart home poo poo there is probably all sorts of smart home poo poo that will do it for you.

i personally am not okay with smart home poo poo because gently caress the companies that run the servers, and i wouldn't want to pay for it either, so i would try rolling my own probably using esp8266s (maybe esp32s these days) and such.

i would recommend not rolling your own thermostat lest you screw up and get it locked on and come home to find your house burnt down.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cheapest solution is probably to stick some battery operated zigbee sensors and hook those on to a receiver that you can pull the data through to a computer to do something with

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

whats the best way to add sensors to my home in tyool 2021?

i want to add little things like:
* pressure drop across the air filter to monitor when to replace it (or when my toddler left a blanket on the grate)
* room temperature
* maybe outdoor microphones for birdcalls but this would be significantly more throughput than anything else so this might complicate things too much
* also a little set of relays to control the thermostat instead of the dumb digital "smart" thermometer the boomers that used to live here had

i really like doing terminal/ascii poo poo so if this all just showed up as com ports i would enjoy it a lot, but i don't want to run a million wires everywhere so maybe a wire-to-SBC-to-wifi setup would be best. I already have a guestnet so maybe this is the best solution

There's tons of these for zigbee/z-wave on aliexpress and banggood et al.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

any of you goons know if it’s possible to use multiple monitors in windows remote desktop? I’m using the newer one that’s free from their app store with windows ten. everything i can find online so far seems to refer to the older version.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I know its supported as of win10/server 2012r2. Its up to your RDP client to implement but even the MS rdp client on mac can do it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gotcha. wonder if it’s something that has to be adjusted on the machine being remoted into. didn’t see any relevant settings on my local computer.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

President Beep posted:

gotcha. wonder if it’s something that has to be adjusted on the machine being remoted into. didn’t see any relevant settings on my local computer.

should be in the display tab in the advanced settings of the client

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i had this thing w/ win 10 the other day, where i hooked up an external sound device and switch the default audio to that, but then when i unplugged it to switch back to the hdmi audio, firefox - and only firefox - was muted. i had to go into the adv audio settings and switch the output. was just strange, and i thought it was funny it was windows having issues w/ audio for a change

i remember working comp support ages ago where this one machine had this strange error we couldn't reproduce on any other systems, but for times sake we just reimaged it. windows does well at producing those bizarre errors and obscure workarounds buried in a menu somewhere. still kinda curious what actually was causing that though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I know its supported as of win10/server 2012r2. Its up to your RDP client to implement but even the MS rdp client on mac can do it

the Mac rdp client is better than the native windows one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

i had this thing w/ win 10 the other day, where i hooked up an external sound device and switch the default audio to that, but then when i unplugged it to switch back to the hdmi audio, firefox - and only firefox - was muted. i had to go into the adv audio settings and switch the output. was just strange, and i thought it was funny it was windows having issues w/ audio for a change

i remember working comp support ages ago where this one machine had this strange error we couldn't reproduce on any other systems, but for times sake we just reimaged it. windows does well at producing those bizarre errors and obscure workarounds buried in a menu somewhere. still kinda curious what actually was causing that though

failfox probably didnt handle whatever audio source change message got sent and switching the output resent whatever message and failfox handled it properly. so, indeed, it was a linux sound issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

the Mac rdp client is better than the native windows one

wow even timb wants people to use windows computers