Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

One of my favorite forum memories is the Goon who very earnestly advised that somebody to fill a crack in their sun-room with "cock (a sealant)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

this is a weird way to spell Chika-chika Slim Shady

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/JenMsft/status/1360851483428749313

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://twitter.com/adamlaiacano/status/1361447469612212225

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

🎶His name is my name tooooo~🎶

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

:drat:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Took me a while to work out that plane reply. Looks like a non-sequitur, but it's basically a diagram of where planes came back with bullet holes, so you armour the other spots because it means planes that got shot there didn't come back. So he's saying you've seen camouflage work a lot more, you just didn't notice, because it worked.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

See also: the toupee fallacy

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

NLJP posted:

A believe a toupee phallacy is more commonly known as a Merkin.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Took me a second but :golfclap:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elfface posted:

Took me a while to work out that plane reply. Looks like a non-sequitur, but it's basically a diagram of where planes came back with bullet holes, so you armour the other spots because it means planes that got shot there didn't come back. So he's saying you've seen camouflage work a lot more, you just didn't notice, because it worked.

Doesn't this mean the armor worked, not the camouflage worked?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

NLJP posted:

And the Benevolent Dolphin Problem (in a roundabout way)

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Data Graham posted:

They’re saying people think of adding additional armor to the red-dotted areas

Edit: wait, I think I misinterpreted what you were responding to? gently caress it, I’m probably wrong.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I think it's meant as an analogy. You didn't record the planes that got shot in the blank areas, because they didn't make it back for you to record that they got shot there -> You didn't notice the camouflage that worked, because it worked so well that you didn't see anything camouflaged was there at all

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phy posted:

I think it's meant as an analogy. You didn't notice the planes that got shot in the blank areas, because they didn't make it back for you to notice that they got shot there -> You didn't notice the camouflage that worked, because it worked so well that you didn't see anything camouflaged was there at all

I'll buy it, but god drat that's an oblique analogy to make by tweeting a picture while waggling one's eyebrows.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

One of my favorite forum memories is the Goon who very earnestly advised that somebody to fill a crack in their sun-room with "cock (a sealant)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PfC1TEqS2Y

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's an analogy for survivorship bias. You didn't see the camoflauge, therefore there was no camoflauge.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
that's pretty loving clever

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Idk I think that plane has pretty lovely camouflage but go off I guess

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thump! posted:

Idk I think that plane has pretty lovely camouflage but go off I guess

The spots help it blend into the mottled light of a forest floor.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Getting this tattooed on my body next to an anchor

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Never!!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The camouflage and the airplanes are both instances of Berkson's paradox, an incredibly general and counterintuitive phenomenon.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

this.... is good

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Goon Boots posted:

this.... is good

I always appreciate a seeing a good Walding.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I uh... think the OP is saying the camo worked because its a white plane on a white background, and no critical areas were hit...

(Yes I know it's a pic for survivorship bias, but I still think that's :thejoke: the OP was trying to make.)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm having a brain fart, what is the literary term for the kind of contradiction in a statement like "see camouflage working"?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm having a brain fart, what is the literary term for the kind of contradiction in a statement like "see camouflage working"?

Oxymoron

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Thank you!

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I've read the explanation and still can't parse it. Someone explain the plane picture please!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The plane picture is an image of where planes that made it back to base were being shot up. The initial interpretation was that this is where the planes should have their armour increased, because it's where they're getting shot. The actual, correct interpretation is that those planes were not shot anywhere that would be fatal, so you should up-armour the areas that were not shot. The ones that survived being what drives the dataset is called survivorship bias.

The same thing with camouflage . "This is the first time I've ever seen camouflage work" is something you say without realising you've seen it a thousand times, it just worked every time before now. So you don't include all the times that camouflage worked in the dataset you're using to base your assumptions on, meaning you're operating under an incorrect assumption that you've never seen it. It's basically the opposite of survivorship bias, because it's the ones that didn't make it that are driving your data.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I'll buy it, but god drat that's an oblique analogy to make by tweeting a picture while waggling one's eyebrows.

The diagram is a very common demonstration of survivorship bias so it has become a minor meme to use in any instance where that is remotely applicable.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
Knee slapper, that one

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Purgatory Glory posted:

I've read the explanation and still can't parse it. Someone explain the plane picture please!

Allies in World War II (Let's just say Great Britain for simplicity) are trying to figure out the best place to armor their planes. They take the planes shot on missions that got back to Britain and analyze where the bullets most commonly hit. This is what the plane diagram is showing. So the obvious solution is to put thicker armor on the places that the bullets most commonly hit. However, someone points out that this is a logical fallacy. These are the planes that got back to Britain. It doesn't include the planes that were shot down in Germany and unable to be recovered. So it's actually a diagram showing where the bullets are less harmful, and the areas which don't have many bullet holes need to have thicker armor instead.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Purgatory Glory posted:

Back in the war people started noticing planes coming back with fairly specific patterns of damage and areas that weren't really hit at all. It took a bit for someone to figure out that you need to reinforce the bits that have no damage because the planes can fly fine when hit elsewhere but the ones hit in the 'undamaged' parts don't come back.

What they're saying by posting the image is that the fact that you're noticing the camo 'work' means it's not actually working. You never noticed the camo when it did work because it was doing its job.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

e; f beateeed

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
It's survivorship bias.

Okay, so the plane picture. In WWII, the americans or english (can't remember which) did a study on their aricraft that returned from combat, to figure out where and how they got shot up. The result is the image above. The conclusion was, hey, this is where airplanes get hit, let's armour those places extra. Then some dude figured "No wait, this is where the airplanes that got back got hit." The planes that got hit in all the other places never even made it back to be studied. (Pretty obvious, when you think about it - there's for example very few hits recorded in the cockpit or engines on the surviving planes.)

Same idea behind the camouflage picture. Every camouflage that you've seen is by definition camouflage that isn't working.

e: Beaten like a Messerschmitt Bf 109 in the skies above Normandy.

Mr. Sunshine has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

https://youtu.be/tbazGVrbN-g