Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It rules because now people think any use of the word "chronic" is automatically total bullshit, the word is a reddit shibboleth allowing the discharge of any concern or basic human empathy

I'll admit that I got a lot of people really mad at me when, going on information I'd seen about it online a decade earlier and nothing since, went "oh, fibromyalgia, that made up disease?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'll admit that I got a lot of people really mad at me when, going on information I'd seen about it online a decade earlier and nothing since, went "oh, fibromyalgia, that made up disease?"

Oh that one's made up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It rules because now people think any use of the word "chronic" is automatically total bullshit, the word is a reddit shibboleth allowing the discharge of any concern or basic human empathy

Chronic prodromal schizophrenia

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Talk to anyone who claims to have it and they're just describing the symptoms of being alive lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
"I need to smoke weed constantly" yeah me too buddy, it's a condition called being awesome

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Steve Yun posted:

Dear Australians: to get around the Facebook news ban, post a picture first then add the news URL in the caption. If you paste the link first it will be registered as a news post but if you paste the picture first it will be registered as a picture post.

Ok but lol at actually posting something on Facebook. That's like starting a thread here.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

thinking about cancelling my Pfizer shot now since I don't want them to withhold the second dose from me

decisions...

just sign up for a first shot from a different place. its the same shot. ez. unlimited vaccine

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i'm getting my shot just before homeless people and prisoners. gently caress all you work from home computer touching assholes

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Foo Diddley posted:

i'm getting my shot just before homeless people and prisoners. gently caress all you work from home computer touching assholes

Yikes

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

I can't offer my shots to people who deserve them more. So it goes.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
applebees giftcards for the houseless fund

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I can't offer my shots to people who deserve them more. So it goes.

yeah, tru tru, i guess i can't get too mad about it

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1361739007990792194

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm extremely mad at the local news running a story about a man who tested positive for COVID-19 even after getting two vaccine shots.

That can still happen! That doesn't mean the vaccine doesn't work! gently caress you!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Getting mad at individuals receiving a shot that was misallocated to them by a broken system

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Shipon posted:

Getting mad at individuals receiving a shot that was misallocated to them by a broken system

i can get mad at whoever I want for any reason thank you

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

"I need to smoke weed constantly" yeah me too buddy, it's a condition called being awesome

fyi this is the only chronic u should believe anymore

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

In New Zealand they did too good of a job at responding to the pandemic and everyone is living longer because they are overreacting

https://www.stats.govt.nz posted:

In 2020 there were 32,613 deaths registered in New Zealand, down 1,647 (5 percent) from 2019.

Annual deaths in general are gradually increasing over time, despite increasing life expectancy, because of general population growth and more people in older age groups (where most deaths occur).

Drops in the number of deaths happen from time to time, despite a growing and aging population. However, the latest fall coincided with lockdown restrictions as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Alert level restrictions, including stay-at-home instructions, limits on travel, and increased hygiene awareness, may have played a part in the reduced number of deaths.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1362269578127114243

The USA hosed up pandemic response so badly the life number ticked down from 78.8 to 77.8

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 11:11 on Feb 18, 2021

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Life expectancy number only goes up. We're only 1 year away from being immortal due to good life expectancy number. Remember what the technological singularity graph plotter guy says.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil posted:

By 2022, medical technology will be more than a thousand times more advanced than it is today, and the "tipping point" of human life expectancy will have been reached, with every new year of research guaranteeing at least one more year of life expectancy. Kurzweil also states that 3–4 months of life expectancy were added in 2007 due to the development of new medicines and treatments.[34]

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Happy Thread posted:

Life expectancy number only goes up. We're only 1 year away from being immortal due to good life expectancy number. Remember what the technological singularity graph plotter guy says.

futurists 0, mike judge 1

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/364017/2-unknown-mutations-of-sars-cov-2-found-in-cebu

quote:

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Scientists in the country have discovered the presence of at least two mutations of SARS-CoV-2, which could explain the continued increase of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in Cebu.

Dr. Mary Jean Loreche, spokesperson of Department of Health in Central Visayas (DOH-7), announced on Thursday, February 18, 2021, that they recently found ‘variants of concern’ from COVID-19 patients subjected by their bio-surveillance.

“These two new mutations are now what we call ‘variants under investigation’,” said Loreche in a mix of English and Cebuano.

DOH-7 tagged these mutations as E484K and N501Y

Loreche, in a press conference on Thursday, said presence of two mutated viruses were discovered from at least 37 samples belonging to recent COVID-19 patients whom they earlier suspected to have the more infectious UK variant.

“Out of the 50 samples that were subjected for genomic sequencing, 37 of them were positive of these two mutations of concern. That’s equivalent to 58 percent,” she explained.

“These two mutations of concern are also of global concern. Not only for us in Central Visayas. Because apparently these are the mutations related to increased transmissibility,” she added.

However, Dr. Jaime Bernadas, DOH-7 director, told media in the same press conference that these are still initial results of their ongoing bio-surveillance.

Bernadas said they still needed further surveillance, epidemiological investigations, and do an entire genomic sequencing to properly establish the nature of the mutated viruses and give them a more appropriate name.

“As of this point, we already did the necessary containment measures to prevent rapid spread and transmission, and the patients (infected with the mutations) have since recovered,” he noted.

To recall, the regional health office here initiated a bio-surveillance last January to detect the presence of the UK variant and also to determine the likelihood of a locally mutated version of the virus.

This developed after Central Visayas saw a continued rise of confirmed COVID-19 cases since the start of 2021.

A total of 161 swab samples from infected patients qualified under DOH-7’s bio-surveillance were sent to the Philippine Genome Center (PGC) for genomic sequencing.

Of this figure, 60 have tested negative for the presence of B117, or the UK variant which, on average, is 56 percent more infectious than the original version.

The increase in mobility among Cebuanos in the recent weeks also prompted health experts to do a bio-surveillance, pointing that transmission of a virus from one host to another increases its chances of mutation.

“What we intend to do further is to be aware that virus do mutate and can change its characteristics – whether it becomes more pathogenic or more virulent. The most critical thing we should do is stop its transmission,” explained Bernadas.

As of February 17, the latest COVID-19 bulletin from DOH-7 showed that Central Visayas has 5,240 active cases which refer to patients still infected with SARS-CoV-2.

The region has been placed under the most lenient community quarantine – modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

At this rate, in 78 years, no one will be alive in America.

With the current rate of climate change, that checks out.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
At this rate there's a new strain every week, at least.

That will not slow down for as long as huge swaths of humanity are allowed to be carriers of the virus. The tendency to create new strains is amplified by the more strains there are, because it allows more of the space of possible mutations to be explored. Also because of recombination. Could anyone explain how recombination works in viruses by the way? I assume the viruses are not having sex.

With a new strain every week, they're going to need to give us a new mRNA vaccine every week to target each one well. Can a new vaccine be tested and distributed in under a week? Well let's see... currently only 4% of Americans have been vaccinated to the first strain that vaccination was attempted for, after well over a year. Hmm

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Happy Thread posted:

At this rate there's a new strain every week, at least.

That will not slow down for as long as huge swaths of humanity are allowed to be carriers of the virus. The tendency to create new strains is amplified by the more strains there are, because it allows more of the space of possible mutations to be explored. Also because of recombination. Could anyone explain how recombination works in viruses by the way? I assume the viruses are not having sex.

With a new strain every week, they're going to need to give us a new mRNA vaccine every week to target each one well. Can a new vaccine be tested and distributed in under a week? Well let's see... currently only 4% of Americans have been vaccinated to the first strain that vaccination was attempted for, after well over a year. Hmm

I assume it can happen when a cell is infected by more than one variant at the same time.

Edit: Yes, that is what happens. To quote the NCBI:

quote:

Viral recombination occurs when viruses of two different parent strains coinfect the same host cell and interact during replication to generate virus progeny that have some genes from both parents.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 12:18 on Feb 18, 2021

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1362129572603518980?s=19

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

MorrisBae posted:

glad I almost cancelled my shot because some Twitter rando can't loving read

Yeah, that's not on the Twitter rando. Get all the jabs you can get that poo poo is not binary.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

the virus strains all meld together like voltron

Brazil strain is the rear end

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently downtown Melbourne offices are still only at 31% capacity as it January, up from 13% in December, even though we've been mostly covid free since November.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

turns out Mike Cernovich had the right idea all along

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I vaguely recall a study that said the exact opposite like 6-9 months ago

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, I'm not misremembering then, I recall the same thing but it was 6am when I post that so ZzZZZzzz

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
In Denmark it was decided to reopen 1.-5. grade:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.tvsyd.dk/kolding/endnu-en-skole-i-kolding-ramt-af-stort-smitteudbrud posted:

Another school in Kolding hit by a major outbreak
25 children and employees tested positive at Brandkjærskolen in Kolding.

In a few days, a total of 20 students in the smallest classes and five employees at Brændkjærskolen in Kolding have been diagnosed with coronavirus, says Michael Petterson, who is director of children, education and the labor market in the municipality.

- We can state that the infection has spread rapidly. On Tuesday, ten infected people were found, and yesterday there were 25 who are infected, so we take this very seriously, Michael Petterson explains.

Depending on what Thursday's infection figures show for Kolding Municipality, it will be decided whether the children can return to school or not after the winter holidays.

- It's going furiously fast right now, so whether we open the school after the holidays will depend on Thursday's infection rate, says Michael Petterson.

Three schools and a nursery affected
Right now, there is also a major outbreak at Munkevænget School, where 30 students and staff are affected by corona. Here the tests show that some are infected with the English variant, cluster B117:

- A sequencing of the tests shows that some are sick with the English variant, and in fact a large part of those affected feel lethargic by the virus, says Michael Petterson.

There are no reports yet if it is the English variant, which has also affected Brændkjærskolen.

Several outbreaks
There have also been outbreaks at Bramdrup School, but according to the school director, there should no longer be outbreaks there.

Last week, the 12 employees and 30 children in the nursery on Agtrupvej were also sent home, after nine employees and nine children were found to have been infected with covid-19.

For comparison the total countrywide number of daily infected is: ~400.
Total infected in Kolding municipality over the last seven days: 144.
Total school and nursery tally over the last 10 days: ~75 (so far)

Edit: I should add that the ~75 only includes people infected in the schools/nursery.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 12:57 on Feb 18, 2021

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://vestnikkavkaza.net/news/New-COVID-19-strain-found-in-Finland.html posted:

New COVID-19 strain found in Finland
The Finnish coronavirus strain appears to be the most recently discovered variant over the past several months across the world, though almost all of them are somewhat similar to the British, South African, Brazilian or Japanese variants.

A new strain of coronavirus, dubbed Fin-796H, was identified in southern Finland, a joint study by Vita laboratories and the Institute of Biotechnology of the University of Helsinki revealed.

According to the Finnish laboratory, not all PCR tests approved by the World Health Organization can detect the new strain.

"Vita Laboratoriot Oy and the Institute of Biotechnology at the University of Helsinki have detected a previously unknown variant of the coronavirus in a sample from southern Finland. Mutations in this variant make it difficult to detect in at least one of the WHO-recommended PCR tests. This discovery could have a significant impact on determining the spread of the disease," the laboratory said in a statement.

Although the new strain of the novel coronavirus contains mutations that can be also traced in the British and South African strains, it is quite different from all of the previously found ones.

"Its inheritance has the same features as the previously widespread variants in the world, but it does not appear to belong to the lineage of any of the previously known variants," the statement reads.

Associate Professor of Clinical Microbiology at Vita Laboratories, Sakari Jokiranta, said in a statement that a certain mutation in the strain prevents its detection by one of the WHO-approved methods.

"This was observed when analyzing a sample from a patient with variant COVID-19 infection," he added.

However, the researchers do not yet have information about where this mutation developed, but it is unlikely that this happened in the country since the overall number of COVID-19 cases in Finland is significantly lower than in other states.

The new strain's resistance to the vaccines currently in use remains unclear, Sputnik reported.

According to the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare statistics, the number of cases of the novel coronavirus increased by 548 on Wednesday, reaching a total of 51,595 out of 5.5 million citizens. The death toll for the Northern European nation stands at 723.

Might be nothing, but could be an interesting new development. PCR evasion would certainly help a variant spread.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pryor on Fire posted:

In New Zealand they did too good of a job at responding to the pandemic and everyone is living longer because they are overreacting

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1362269578127114243

The USA hosed up pandemic response so badly the life number ticked down from 78.8 to 77.8

quote:

The 2.7-year drop in life expectancy for African-Americans from January through June of last year was the largest decline, followed by a 1.9-year drop for Hispanic Americans and a 0.8-year drop for white Americans.

This loving sucks.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Might be nothing, but could be an interesting new development. PCR evasion would certainly help a variant spread.

I wonder how the fast self administer tests fare against those.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Texas isn't gonna report again for a while and with the data lacking from one of the largest population states were gonna get lots of news about how cases are down nationwide.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Texas isn't gonna report again for a while and with the data lacking from one of the largest population states were gonna get lots of news about how cases are down nationwide.

They are though. Weirdly enough.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

The other day here, they were all gushing that Kentucky had the lowest number of deaths on a Tuesday in months. So yeah, it's going to be disgusting.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Bc of the storms they're out of vaccines in a lot of places. It sounded like a KY shipping hub closed for a bit. Know of 2 people having a 1st and 2nd vaccine pushed out 2 weeks in Tennessee and they simply canceled an appointment for a person getting their 1st vaccine in Georgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Steve Yun posted:

Google news sent me to an article about the new study yesterday and these results actually came from a team in Germany researching the weakness aspect previously reported. They concluded that no actually there might be Neanderthal genes that help. IIRC the weakness genes were on chromosome 3 and these sweet new buff genes are on chromosome 13. I'll try to find it again

Edit: Ooops, 12th choromosome, not 13: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/other/539323-genetic-mutation-inherited-from-neanderthals-could-help-protect

Forseti has issued a correction as of 14:36 on Feb 18, 2021