Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh, so that's what they mean when they say "built like a brick shithouse" eh?

There was a crooked man who took a crooked poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

tater_salad posted:

why would you do this.. what is wrong with just like having the whole house extend that much further. It's going to be a pain in the dick to roof and side and well.

The architect was a big fan of xenomorphs, obviously.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Griefor posted:

The foundation is poo poo probably

lol

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Griefor posted:

The foundation is poo poo probably

mlyp

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Load bearing loads?!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

tater_salad posted:

why would you do this.. what is wrong with just like having the whole house extend that much further. It's going to be a pain in the dick to roof and side and well.

Nathaniel Hawthorne has a lot to answer for.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

This one is art.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MRC48B posted:

This one is art.

What in the actual gently caress.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

MRC48B posted:

This one is art.

I'm impressed and not too proud to admit it.
I don't think that an inexperienced person such as myself, working with a YouTube instructions video could gently caress up this bad.

Probably because YouTube tutorials still explain that you should measure stuff before starting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MRC48B posted:

This one is art.

I thought I understood the cheater mixer tap, but there are three valves at play here. :psyduck:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Four!

But I think two of them aren’t connected to anything and opening them would make some awesome backflow onto the wall.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Is this some sort of challenge?

On today's show, contestants must repair a sink using only parts from other incompatible sinks

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oh, that's Canada's Worst Handyman.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wow! (excuse the weirdly cropped photo. Privacy stuff)

This guy was some kind of actual moron. The owner wanted to save space in the bathroom by having a pocket door. I guess the previous contractor figured that the insanely flimsy skeleton of 1/2" ikea-grade wood and tin was an actual wall and not something to be fastened to a wall, as in framed on both sides so that it could support . . . anything really.

The drywall screws essentially shattered the flimsy wood toothpicks the pocket door frame was made of on the one side, and he never bothered to put drywall over the other side because the entire thing would have shattered and fell to the ground like a cartoon skeleton.

I did some rearranging and am going to install a real door after I remove the ruined pocket door frame and build an actual wall. I think the owner is going to like the idea of the new wall and door stopping (any) sounds from escaping.

Bonus points if you noticed the set tile hanging 2" in the air and almost outside of the bathroom.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Blistex posted:

This guy was some kind of actual moron. The owner wanted to save space in the bathroom by having a pocket door. I guess the previous contractor figured that the insanely flimsy skeleton of 1/2" ikea-grade wood and tin was an actual wall and not something to be fastened to a wall, as in framed on both sides so that it could support . . . anything really.

The drywall screws essentially shattered the flimsy wood toothpicks the pocket door frame was made of on the one side, and he never bothered to put drywall over the other side because the entire thing would have shattered and fell to the ground like a cartoon skeleton.

I did some rearranging and am going to install a real door after I remove the ruined pocket door frame and build an actual wall. I think the owner is going to like the idea of the new wall and door stopping (any) sounds from escaping.

Bonus points if you noticed the set tile hanging 2" in the air and almost outside of the bathroom.

Nice!

That's how the pocket doors in my house are installed.

I used to not be able to poop in peace when my (bepocket-doored) upstairs bathroom was still functional, because my cat would head butt the door out of separation anxiety and literally shake the entire wall

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Blistex posted:

Wow. Yeah. Even I realized that a pocket door at least needs one wall framed normally. Unfortunately the GroverTruk isn't wide enough to have usable pocket doors and a decent rear view.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Maybe a beefier model could get away with only one framed wall, but this one definitely needed walls on both sides.

Also every door I have installed in this house needed at least an inch cut off from the bottom because he 2x4 framed them all at 79".

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That is the cheapest pocket door frame you can get, yet it is still intended as a wall replacement. If you predrilled and used 5/8 drywall you might limp it along, reinforced by trim. They usually just suck if the wall is exposed. In a rare case it can be abutted by a perpendicular wall, which helps tremendously.

The nicer ones use steel with wood inserts vertically. It's both stronger and prevents you from driving a drywall screw into the door.

If you were to put a wall on each side of that frame you'd end up with at least a 7.5" thick wall assuming 2x added to each side. Which is counter to the concept of saving space.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
:actually:

You frame this version on both sides because the wood cannot hold screws, so it's supposed to be brad nailed.

Also, the point of a pocket door isn't a thin wall, it's so that you don't have to worry about an unobstructed ~30" radius from your hinge location.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blistex posted:

:actually:

You frame this version on both sides because the wood cannot hold screws, so it's supposed to be brad nailed.

Also, the point of a pocket door isn't a thin wall, it's so that you don't have to worry about an unobstructed ~30" radius from your hinge location.

Oh. It looks just like the cheapest one you can get at home depot which is meant to apply drywall to directly. I've used this kind, a slightly better kind, and the best kind which was just a track that you frame around.

I don't disagree on the second point.

It's unlikely you'd use this poo poo frame in a 7“ wall though. It would look strange.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Using a pocket door for a bathroom makes a certain amount of sense to me, since they often have at least one wall that's thicker than usual to give more space for the plumbing, and they also often have limited space inside. If that thick wall has enough spare spare for the doorway and its pocket without bumping into any of the pipes, then you might as well use it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Using a pocket door for a bathroom makes a certain amount of sense to me, since they often have at least one wall that's thicker than usual to give more space for the plumbing, and they also often have limited space inside. If that thick wall has enough spare spare for the doorway and its pocket without bumping into any of the pipes, then you might as well use it.

You've never lived in a house with a pocket door, have you?

They are universally terrible to operate. To need to operate that every time you used the bathroom would be maddening.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The blueprints to the house I am building this spring has a pocket door for the master bathroom. I said "screw that" and just moved the wall two feet. If that wasn't an option I'd go as far as to have it open out into the master bedroom. Pocket doors (imo) are for trains and elevators.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blistex posted:

The blueprints to the house I am building this spring has a pocket door for the master bathroom. I said "screw that" and just moved the wall two feet. If that wasn't an option I'd go as far as to have it open out into the master bedroom. Pocket doors (imo) are for trains and elevators.

Don't blame you at all. Even my current house has a set of pocket doors that are inexplicably on a walk in closet. When I re-do the closet I'm going to put french doors on it. In the mean time the pocket doors just stay open.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Motronic posted:

You've never lived in a house with a pocket door, have you?

They are universally terrible to operate. To need to operate that every time you used the bathroom would be maddening.

They're still inexplicably popular for that application, I've been told "they make really nice ones now" by a few professionals, but I don't believe them.

Also: barn doors for bathrooms, I stayed at a hipster motel awhile back that had an unlatchable barn door for the shitter, it was also missing the floor hardware and there was a good 1" gap all around.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

They're still inexplicably popular for that application, I've been told "they make really nice ones now" by a few professionals, but I don't believe them.

Whatever was used in this reno that was done 12-ish years ago is decidedly not nicer than the many well maintained ones I've had in various houses that date from the late 1800s/early 1900s. And those well maintained ones still sucked.

Also, this closet has a window. And the pocket doors don't (I don't even know if that's a thing - I've never seen it). So french doors with glass it is.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The front room of our house is ostensibly the office so it has pocket doors for both entrances. Completely worthless.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

My parents' house has two pocket doors, from kitchen to living room and living room to bedroom. I'm in my thirties and can't remember them ever working properly: they are really heavy and the mechanism is wonky as hell. You sort of have to slide your foot under the door to prop it up, and two-hand it inside the wall with a violent SKRRTCH SKRUNTCH. Really good if you want to block small dogs or children under the age of ten from entering a room though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Whatever was used in this reno that was done 12-ish years ago is decidedly not nicer than the many well maintained ones I've had in various houses that date from the late 1800s/early 1900s. And those well maintained ones still sucked.

Also, this closet has a window. And the pocket doors don't (I don't even know if that's a thing - I've never seen it). So french doors with glass it is.

I’ve seen leaded-glass panels in a pair that separated the parlour from a dining room in an 1880s home.

The fun part was that the couple that had recently bought the house had no idea, and they were planning to tear out all of the paneling & drop ceilings & other 70s gorp and restore it. I saw the hardware on the edge after they pulled the door casing. We managed to yank one part-way out (it was off track, but the doors were perfect). They thought that they won the lottery. One of my better memories of my job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I’ve seen leaded-glass panels in a pair that separated the parlour from a dining room in an 1880s home.

The fun part was that the couple that had recently bought the house had no idea, and they were planning to tear out all of the paneling & drop ceilings & other 70s gorp and restore it. I saw the hardware on the edge after they pulled the door casing. We managed to yank one part-way out (it was off track, but the doors were perfect). They thought that they won the lottery. One of my better memories of my job.

Oh wow, yeah....the kinda did win the lottery. That's pretty awesome.

And I would totally take leaded glass panels for this. If I have to go new production it's going to be interior french doors and I guess sheer-ish curtains so I still get light from the window when they're closed but I'm not looking inside a closet all the time.

But you just gave me an expensive idea.........

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Elviscat posted:

Also: barn doors for bathrooms, I stayed at a hipster motel awhile back that had an unlatchable barn door for the shitter, it was also missing the floor hardware and there was a good 1" gap all around.

gently caress barn doors period. In the house we’re renting, our son’s bedroom had barn doors, but they appear to have been installed by an idiot because there’s no floor hardware so they swing out, and the stopper things on the track are positioned incorrectly so the doors can “overslide” one way or the other. When they close, they aren’t flush. They don’t have any braking mechanism, so they’re also noisy as gently caress, especially with a teenage boy who isn’t necessarily as careful as he could be.

Actually, the entire first floor of this townhouse appears to be an exercise in lovely construction wherein they realized that they could charge even more money at sale or rental if it was a full bath and bedroom instead of a half-bath and office. The bathroom conversion is basically actively falling apart.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
gently caress barn doors agreed.

My parents 1905 house had the only nice pocket doors I've ever seen. This one in the pic below was, I'm not sure but maybe 5 feet long. It is half closed in the picture. The wall it is in was deep as hell, and one side of the entryway so it always seemed like magic when you pulled it out. Another opening in this room had a pair of doors that looked similar. Again, the walls were thick as hell, probably full size studs on each side plus plaster, and the depth of trim as well.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Blue Moonlight posted:

gently caress barn doors period. ... son’s bedroom had barn doors, but they appear to have been installed by an idiot

Seems a bit redundant

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
"Barn doors" are bad on barns. Bringing them indoors is a loving crime.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MisterOblivious posted:

"Barn doors" are bad on barns. Bringing them indoors is a loving crime.

Agreed, get with the times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfvm8I9_oU&t=6s

snips finger tip off

edit: lmao from the 'recommended videos' at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE2ZpobyRXc&t=69s

The second one here (timestamped), scrape the front and bottom of your vehicle to poo poo every day!

edit edit: the triple gate at 5:36 here ^^^ seems good enough, but I'm laughing over just how terrible the music is for this particular spot on the video now.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 21, 2021

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sliding doors are common here because Japan, but they're not barn doors or pocket doors, they require a niche and blank wall space to slide in front of.
Paper windows = shoji しょうじ 障子
Solid sliders = fusuma ふすま 襖

Truly accessible houses will usually have these on every room. They're cute alternatives to curtains, too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MRC48B posted:

This one is art.

Is that one of those homes near the ocean that had salt water on tap?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I want to give a quick shout out to my old apartment building that supports countertops with tiny 1.25" wide baluster spindles and screws them to the floor through the linoleum with tiny steel L brackets. About 10 years ago I leaned on one of the countertops which was not supported by any cabinetry, and the spindle buckled and snapped and the entire thing completely fell off the wall onto the floor. After moving out, I was pleased to see recently that they are still using this signature contruction technique in their "renovated" units.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looks like a peg leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kreeningsons posted:

I want to give a quick shout out to my old apartment building that supports countertops with tiny 1.25" wide baluster spindles and screws them to the floor through the linoleum with tiny steel L brackets. About 10 years ago I leaned on one of the countertops which was not supported by any cabinetry, and the spindle buckled and snapped and the entire thing completely fell off the wall onto the floor. After moving out, I was pleased to see recently that they are still using this signature contruction technique in their "renovated" units.

Ah yes 90's vintage "Golden Oak" cabinets.

Used to have them.