Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Zeron posted:

I was kind of excited by them expanding the team because I thought it meant CK3 was more profitable than expected

I'm pretty sure it was regardless, I was shocked by how huge the launch was.

LordMune posted:

Caveat: I'm off the project, don't listen to me.

Awww man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah the information itself is cool and awesome and I think people would really like to hear it. But people have been hungering for a DD with any sort of information about the first DLC for months, so announcing it like this just makes people angry. They said it’s about hype management or whatever but this seems like the exact opposite of that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Think I'm doing okay.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

why do i get the feeling the first DLC for this is just going to be a clothing pack or something

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Paradox is proud to partner with Valve for our first Hat Pack! 30 dollars gets you ten new hats for your characters to wear. Look forward to our next nineteen hat packs as well!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ugh I forgot about the Greek culture blob. There is absolutely no excuse for not having it be correctly labelled Roman. It was overwhelmingly the dominant identity in Greece and Anatolia.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Whorelord posted:

why do i get the feeling the first DLC for this is just going to be a clothing pack or something

Nah clothing packs are generally released with something. Not like stand alone

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Hopefully Sunset Invasion

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Animal Kingdoms or riot

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Lol I never played with sunset invasion because I don't like the theme but I would absolutely pay to see pdox forums furious meltdown as a response to Sunset Invasion 2.0 as the first expansion

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The first expansion is probably going to be something equivalent to a Stellaris story pack (Leviathans, Distant Stars, Synthetic Dawn etc.) or an EU4 immersion pack (Third Rome, Golden Century, Rule Brittania) just going by what the royal edition season pass thing says. Looks like they plan to do the "big release-small release-big release" thing stellaris does.

Personally im expecting something like artifacts, monuments or societies. The big update is gonna be after this one.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dwesa posted:

I would love it if one of the patches added sunset invasion without mentioning it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Lol I never played with sunset invasion because I don't like the theme but I would absolutely pay to see pdox forums furious meltdown as a response to Sunset Invasion 2.0 as the first expansion

Yeah this was very much my thing too, I want my CK to be as historical as possible, but even I can appreciate just a pure chaotic counterfactual, and the meltdown it caused was absolutely hilarious.

I don't think I actually tried it until years after it came out, but when I did it turned out it even ruled as an expansion. Having Amerimongols just plop themselves down in western Europe was an outstanding experience.

binge crotching posted:

I would love it if one of the patches added sunset invasion without mentioning it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Ugh I forgot about the Greek culture blob. There is absolutely no excuse for not having it be correctly labelled Roman. It was overwhelmingly the dominant identity in Greece and Anatolia.

The thing of note in that picture is the huge growth of the Armenian culture blob.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Wow, this thread is on fire. And I'm viewing it in "Only dev posts" mode.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Im hoping for artifacts and more events. I find it quite weird they never ever done a pure event/flavour dlc pack. Like I would pay 10$ for a pack with different event chains for the world. IMO that would be better than models of soldiers I never see anyway, or music packs that I barely listen to more than a couple of times.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 18, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

When you do a lot of events you want to unite them into some sort of system. You can view societies as event pack, same for plenty of other CK2 mechanics like coronations, bloodlines etc.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

sunset invasion owned bones and so did all the insane supernatural poo poo, can't wait for all that to come back

first dlc will probably be something for byzantium, crusaders or muslims.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
just so I can jinx and it doesn't happen: they saw how much money Civ 6 is bringing in and are working on a season pass to go alongside normal paid expansions

Anno
May 10, 2017

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just so I can jinx and it doesn't happen: they saw how much money Civ 6 is bringing in and are working on a season pass to go alongside normal paid expansions

There’s already an expansion pass right?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah it lists one expansion and two flavor packs. If they follow the stellaris pattern the next thing is a flavor pack then the proper expansion then the second flavor pack.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Animal Kingdoms or riot

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Technowolf posted:

Animal Kingdoms or riot

This + Adamitism = Paradox becoming the world's economic superpower from the influx of new furry players

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Daktar posted:

This + Adamitism = Paradox becoming the world's economic superpower from the influx of new furry players

:cheerdoge:

But seriously, some kind of Armello crossover would be kinda neat. Prooobably not as a first DLC, as funny as the reaction would be.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
That dev diary sure was a choice... I dunno what they expected, being silent for months and then giving a dev diary with no content. I mean, people shouldn't get mad or be toxic but of course they're gonna.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Then good on them for not catering to that poo poo.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm glad that there's a great big team of nice people working on CK3, but I don't really give a poo poo about them and would much rather hear about their plans for new mechanics and content. Really weird decision to publish it as if it were some kind of update.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

How are u posted:

I'm glad that there's a great big team of nice people working on CK3, but I don't really give a poo poo about them and would much rather hear about their plans for new mechanics and content. Really weird decision to publish it as if it were some kind of update.

:same:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

How are u posted:

I mean Nintendo just did a direct where the main guy for BOTW2 came on and said i know you think I’m gonna talk about it but we’ve got nothing. We are working hard thank you

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
This concerns CK2, but it's a sign of things to come since Paradox is testing the waters:

They have decided to implement a subscription model for the plebes who'd like to to experience everything CK2 has to offer without having to purchase a gazillion DLCs.

But don't worry, you rich dudes can still properly purchase all the DLC if you want to!

Guess they won't be releasing a GotY-edition anytime soon.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How are u posted:

:yossame:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Getting toxic and calling them all lazy and poo poo is dumb, because that is obviously from the truth. But the issue mainly stems from the fact that they appear to be in beginning of some kind of long-term PR cycle for their next major content release. Which is pretty confusing. Aren't there still some pressing issues people have been hoping Paradox will address before moving on to their first expansion? They're just gonna let the current version of the game stew for the next six or more months until the first expansion comes out? That would be disappointing. If that's not the case, surely they could've let people know what's going on with any potential interim patch.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think the idea is shorter announcement to release timeframes than usual. So maybe they announce something soon and release it in like 30-60 days, especially since this is the “small” one. And hopefully the patch alongside of it addresses some currently outstanding issues.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That is my impression as well. It feels very much like they're waiting for all the features to be complete before talking about them. Which is a philosophy I can get behind.

Cosmic Web posted:

This concerns CK2, but it's a sign of things to come since Paradox is testing the waters:

They have decided to implement a subscription model for the plebes who'd like to to experience everything CK2 has to offer without having to purchase a gazillion DLCs.

But don't worry, you rich dudes can still properly purchase all the DLC if you want to!

Guess they won't be releasing a GotY-edition anytime soon.

Yeah it's been a thing (possibly in beta?) in EU4 for a long time. Honestly I don't hate it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If I could have spent $5 every time I had the hankering for some CK2, played it for a week, then went back to something else, it would have been way cheaper for me than actually keeping up with the DLC train.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PittTheElder posted:

That is my impression as well. It feels very much like they're waiting for all the features to be complete before talking about them. Which is a philosophy I can get behind.

Yeah it's been a thing (possibly in beta?) in EU4 for a long time. Honestly I don't hate it.

Jabor posted:

If I could have spent $5 every time I had the hankering for some CK2, played it for a week, then went back to something else, it would have been way cheaper for me than actually keeping up with the DLC train.

Please don't cheer for subscription models. They could've plonked down a $30 Complete Edition and set a precedent instead of following this dark path. I can't help but think that every inch towards anything subscription-based is gonna lead to worse things. Imagine wanting to play CK2 with all the trimmings somewhere in the future, but Paradox blew up somehow and you can't buy the individual DLCs anymore. It's like soiling your pants to keep yourself cool, or something.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I agree this kind of subscription is not great. I don't want to make comparisons to Microsoft or Origins passes but usually when something like this is done it's access to a lot of games, often full versions with all the DLCs. From what I understand with EU4 and CK2 the base game is not even included in the subscription. CK2 happens to be free so it's not an issue but it's clear that the future model is that you buy a game and also subscribe to DLCs.

Mind you, it doesn't even solve some important issues of the Paradox DLC model. You still have thousands of DLC features combinations and DLCs can't affect each other. I'd understand if the subscription meant that there's a single version of the game for everyone, but it's still not that. Instead they sell a subscription for a single 8-year old game that had its last update a year ago.

...Remember when Creative Assembly had the most outrageous DLC policy?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I remember thinking the guys calling Oblivion horse armour a slippery slope were paranoid but look at us now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deltasquid posted:

I remember thinking the guys calling Oblivion horse armour a slippery slope were paranoid but look at us now

It was more like a sheer cliff