Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
See: this entire twitter thread of him flipping out at randos and saying DSA are the enemy after they spent time+money getting him elected twice (and the second time was despite him doing his best to sink his own campaign)

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1356406734890401792?s=20

The guy is a shithead and should not be defended for loving getting sick burns on randos on twitter over actually passing legislation.

Some choice replies from people in DC/Nova DSA:

https://twitter.com/KristenHumanDSA/status/1356437342400245762?s=20

https://twitter.com/BuildJacobin/status/1356408688714653696?s=20

https://twitter.com/HownowKnowhow/status/1356429118917771264?s=20

https://twitter.com/Eric13Red/status/1356435710480375809?s=20

https://twitter.com/The_Mathgician/status/1356441161200775168?s=20

Telling your activists and volunteers to eat poo poo over petty Twitter disagreements is a real bad move!

Also this last one is just purely funny:

https://twitter.com/hermeneutered/status/1356451663838593026?s=20

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

like, it sucks and its messy that passing objectively good legislation requires building personal relationships with bad people who hold bad opinions, but until lee carter is elected god emperor of va and can rule by fiat, i don't ever see him getting around the need to rely on people who are less left than him to accomplish his legislative agenda. and this is a shame because his legislative agenda would be good for the state. he treats the rest of the party as enemies instead of allies, which is irreconcilable with passing legislation, and extremely dumb in local politics where simply not calling members of your party liars is probably enough to convince some of them to back your bills.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Aruan posted:

his entire campaign for governor is 'look at all these garbage lying democrats'

Evidence of this ? I don't find anything about his primary opponents on his campaign page. I can't find anything on this Twitter that seems out of the ordinary in terms of a politician running in a primary, which by definition is against members of his own party.

This is just more unsourced and unsupported making GBS threads on the leftist, as far as I can tell.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Harold Fjord posted:

Evidence of this ? I don't find anything about his primary opponents on his campaign page. I can't find anything on this Twitter that seems out of the ordinary in terms of a politician running in a primary, which by definition is against members of his own party.

This is just more unsourced and unsupported making GBS threads on the leftist, as far as I can tell.

its literally the pinned message on his twitter.

essentially, this is the scenario:

you are the most progressive member of your caucus and think the rest of your caucus hold bad opinions.

do you:

a. try to convince them of your opinions, or at least influence their legislation to be as left as possible

or

b. run for governor with a platform that's 50% 'look at how lovely the rest of the candidates from my party are, they're all owned by corporate lobbyists and liars'

choosing b might be more satisfying or righteous, but it also guarantees the death of your legislative agenda.

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 18, 2021

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
nevermind, this is pointless

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aruan posted:

i don't have the specific context that friendbot does, and he might be right, but i think we're both speaking to a general point that lee carter is completely unable to build the personal connections which are extremely important - perhaps more important than actual political belief - in state level politics. like, i hope this isn't news to anyone here, but networking is important - and if its important in general, its extra important in politics.

I agree, and certainly dumb personality conflicts can and have derailed legislation before (although in all the cases I'm aware of, like Kennedy v Carter on healthcare, the problem was on both sides being pigheaded, not one guy ruining everything and somehow mindcontrolling the Reasonable Adult Other Guy into voting against it too), so I'm skeptical of narratives that blame everything on one individual actor, especially when that guy is the one pushing the legislation in the first place that everyone else obviously doesn't want to do, most especially when it elides the powerful institutional forces at play. So I don't think asking for some analysis beyond "take my word for it I live in VA" is unreasonable.

Like, why did his cosigners drop support of the bill because he did... some uncouth parliamentary maneuver? Even given for the sake of argument that it's reasonable to even give a poo poo about someone's bill "skipping the line", if his cosigners believe in repealing right-to-work but think him being a part of it is counterproductive, why not cut him out and introduce their own bill for everyone but him to cosign, and do the proper decorous parliamentary stuff themselves to get it on the floor? Why is the only response to .... um... a rude use of Robert's Rules of Order or whatever to go "welp now we have to throw labor under the bus, he made us do it". That's what don't make no sense to me, more details would be helpful I think.

Dett Rite
Oct 24, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Aruan posted:

its literally the pinned message on his twitter.

You have successfully communicated you do not like the candidate's twitter posts. They appear remarkably hostile!

Do you have anything that backs up friendbot's allegation that Lee Carter is the reason the Virginia legislature is not repealing right-to-work, beyond the fact you do not like the candidate's twitter posts.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I guess we're going to see how far a campaign can go when the candidate himself embraces "Don't stop bullying people online, the strategy is working!"

I really like most of Lee's political positions, so it sucks to see him flaming out like this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Like, why did his cosigners drop support of the bill because he did... some uncouth parliamentary maneuver? Even given for the sake of argument that it's reasonable to even give a poo poo about someone's bill "skipping the line", if his cosigners believe in repealing right-to-work but think him being a part of it is counterproductive, why not cut him out and introduce their own bill for everyone but him to cosign, and do the proper decorous parliamentary stuff themselves to get it on the floor? Why is the only response to .... um... a rude use of Robert's Rules of Order or whatever to go "welp now we have to throw labor under the bus, he made us do it". That's what don't make sense to me, more details would be helpful I thinl.

The "uncouth parliamentary measure" was to try and force it to be the first thing they talked about, rather than waiting its turn.

It's fine to try to do this provided all the co-sponsors are onboard and you think there's a chance they won't get around to your bill.

It is not fine to not tell the co-sponsors of your bill you're going to do this and blindside them. It is extra not fine if your bill was looking likely to pass based on the results from last session.

His stunt forced the co-sponsors into an extremely awkward spot: support his plan and piss off the leadership (who might be people they're relying on for support/help for their own bills) or kill his bill.

He gave them a lose-lose choice and then got pissed when they picked long-term good terms with everyone (and their own bills) over lighting themselves on fire for dubious purposes.

This is why the RTW repeal bill is dead, he forced it into a confrontation it was guaranteed to lose so he could cry about it on Twitter and raise money for his quixotic governor's run. He's no different from the cosplay communist podcast grift.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 18, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lol is a tweet of him correctly calling it abusive when people mock him for being divorced supposed to be an own on him and not on the people trying to use his family to dunk on his politics?

If he said any of the stuff to a ""succlib"" that he quoted people saying to him you people would be making GBS threads bricks about toxic discourse

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

lol is a tweet of him correctly calling it abusive when people mock him for being divorced supposed to be an own on him and not on the people trying to use his family to dunk on his politics?

If he said any of the stuff to a ""succlib"" that he quoted people saying to him you people would be making GBS threads bricks about toxic discourse

Well he almost lost his last election because he insisted on getting drunk, going on Twitter, and info dumping himself and the main content of that info dump was all those divorces so yeah, I think it's pretty relevant.

I have the crazy idea that politicians shouldn't be assholes to their volunteers and supporters. Guess that makes me whatever new name you've come up for people you disagree with.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

axeil posted:

The "uncouth parliamentary measure" was to try and force it to be the first thing they talked about, rather than waiting its turn.

It's fine to try to do this provided all the co-sponsors are onboard and you think there's a chance they won't get around to your bill.

It is not fine to not tell the co-sponsors of your bill you're going to do this and blindside them. It is extra not fine if your bill was looking likely to pass based on the results from last session.

His stunt forced the co-sponsors into an extremely awkward spot: support his plan and piss off the leadership (who might be people they're relying on for support/help for their own bills) or kill his bill.

He gave them a lose-lose choice and then got pissed when they picked long-term good terms with everyone (and their own bills) over lighting themselves on fire for dubious purposes.

yea ok assuming I care about...the order of bills...that you claim are all going to get considered anyway, if it was looking likely to pass why can't his cosponsors say "nope you're out we're writing our own bill and you can't cosign it, but if you believe in your principles you'll vote for it when we get it to the floor right"

idk that sounds like an excuse to me, how is killing the bill and refusing to do your own a reasonable response to uh....rude uses of the assembly rulebook

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

yea ok assuming I care about...the order of bills...that you claim are all going to get considered anyway, if it was looking likely to pass why can't his cosponsors say "nope you're out we're writing our own bill and you can't cosign it, but if you believe in your principles you'll vote for it when we get it to the floor right"

idk that sounds like an excuse to me, how is killing the bill and refusing to do your own a reasonable response to uh....rude uses of the assembly rulebook

The VA legislative session is 30 days. There literally is no time to write new bills.

Dett Rite
Oct 24, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

This is why the RTW repeal bill is dead, he forced it into a confrontation it was guaranteed to lose so he could cry about it on Twitter and raise money for his quixotic governor's run. He's no different from the cosplay communist podcast grift.

Dett Rite posted:

Do you have anything that backs up friendbot's allegation that Lee Carter is the reason the Virginia legislature is not repealing right-to-work, beyond the fact you do not like the candidate's twitter posts.

Like, I get it, the twitter posts don't have a single dog picture and the word "access" does not appear at any point. Carter's messaging has very clearly turned you off!

Do you have ANYTHING to back up the statement Lee Carter is responsible for Democrats voting in favor of Right to Work legislation, beyond how much his messaging reminds you of podcasters you dislike.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

axeil posted:

Well he almost lost his last election because he insisted on getting drunk, going on Twitter, and info dumping himself and the main content of that info dump was all those divorces so yeah, I think it's pretty relevant.

I have the crazy idea that politicians shouldn't be assholes to their volunteers and supporters. Guess that makes me whatever new name you've come up for people you disagree with.

yea I don't see how him getting drunk and talking about his divorces justifies people using his divorces to attack him on unrelated stuff

nobody called you any names, you're being weirdly histrionic and defensive about this, almost like you know saying things like that to any human, even History's Greatest Monster Lee Carter, is unacceptable

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dett Rite posted:

Like, I get it, the twitter posts don't have a single dog picture and the word "access" does not appear at any point. Carter's messaging has very clearly turned you off!

Do you have ANYTHING to back up the statement Lee Carter is responsible for Democrats voting in favor of Right to Work legislation, beyond how much his messaging reminds you of podcasters you dislike.

I literally posted an explanation of how his actions hosed over the other co-sponsors.

I can't help you if you can't/won't read.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

axeil posted:

The VA legislative session is 30 days. There literally is no time to write new bills.

isn't it already written, is he going to get them for plagiarism if they just take his name off it

and can't the governor call a special session if there isn't time to get urgent business done, this does not seem like an insurmountable problem

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

isn't it already written, is he going to get them for plagiarism if they just take his name off it

and can't the governor call a special session if there isn't time to get urgent business done, this does not seem like an insurmountable problem

Northam is not going to call a special session to repeal RTW and he's definitely not going to do it in an election year.

As for your first point, there is an entire process bills have to go through it's not just "slap down something and you're done". And again, you're asking them to prioritize cleaning up their idiot colleague's mistake over their own legislative initiatives. Why is it their job to fix his mess?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Not an expert in VA legislative assembly rules so just to make sure I'm clear is there a rule against copy and pasting? Does this have to be hand written from scratch per bill like D&D wizard having to separately memorize fireball for each time he wants to cast?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Not an expert in VA legislative assembly rules so just to make sure I'm clear is there a rule against copy and pasting? Does this have to be hand written from scratch per bill like D&D wizard having to separately memorize fireball for each time he wants to cast?

https://publications.virginiageneralassembly.gov/download_publication/111

The bill was on step 6 (committee vote). You're asking to go back to step 1 and complete the whole thing in a week.

Delegates don't actually write their own bills, they're amateurs who don't know the legalese and don't have staffs. There's an office in the Legislature that writes bills for people including the proper legal language.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

axeil posted:

Northam is not going to call a special session to repeal RTW and he's definitely not going to do it in an election year.
right so it's less "they can't do it" and more "they won't do it", it's interesting how "well it's impossible" turns into "pfft ok it's possible but nobody is going to do it so it might as well be impossible"

axeil posted:

As for your first point, there is an entire process bills have to go through it's not just "slap down something and you're done".

oookay but isn't most of that work already done

it can't both be true that Carter's bill was all ready to go just waiting for its chance in line with all indications that it's likely to pass, and also there's still so much to do that even if we take his name off it it's just not ready for prime time

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

it can't both be true that Carter's bill was all ready to go just waiting for its chance in line with all indications that it's likely to pass, and also there's still so much to do that even if we take his name off it it's just not ready for prime time

You can't take his name off it and re-submit. His actual bill got killed in the committee vote. A new bill has to go through the whole process I posted above, you can't just take his bill and erase his name.

Yes this is dumb.

This is why we need a professional legislature in this state but it's never going to happen because people don't understand these sorts of nuances.

There's also the "crossover deadline" which I frankly don't really understand but to the best of my knowledge there's a deadline by which a bill must at least be in committee to be germane to that session. This is less than the 30 day legislative calendar deadline, but again, I'm not sure exactly how many days it is.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 18, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How are u posted:

I guess we're going to see how far a campaign can go when the candidate himself embraces "Don't stop bullying people online, the strategy is working!"

I really like most of Lee's political positions, so it sucks to see him flaming out like this.

except what was posted were examples of people bullying him with really vicious attacks on personal poo poo like his divorces

so apparently online bullying does work!

Dett Rite
Oct 24, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

I literally posted an explanation.

I can't help you if you can't/won't read.

The explanation you offered was that you found his posts offensive, and that he called the vote in a manner that might hurt the feelings of a leadership that was pro-Right to Work legislation.

The argument could be made that doing so did not help! (My response would be: "probably, but there's never been a single movement from the left that didn't have the well-to-do whining about how indecorous their inferiors are being.") That's not the argument being made here; instead, we are being told the reason Democrats are voting in favor of Right to Work legislation is that a single man's unseemliness forced them to say workers do not deserve protections.

The bit about podcasts seems to be unrelated flailing?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dett Rite posted:

The explanation you offered was that you found his posts offensive, and that he called the vote in a manner that might hurt the feelings of a leadership that was pro-Right to Work legislation.

Let me help you read. Note how it has nothing to do with is idiocy on Twitter (instead its his idiocy in the Legislature)

axeil posted:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

axeil posted:

You can't take his name off it and re-submit. His actual bill got killed in the committee vote. A new bill has to go through the whole process I posted above, you can't just take his bill and erase his name.

Yes this is dumb.

This is why we need a professional legislature in this state but it's never going to happen because people don't understand these sorts of nuances.

but the committee vote is step 6, and all the mandatory delays are after that

step 1 is "have an idea for the bill", so you'd start at step 2 if you already have your idea written up

step 2 is explain it to an attorney (who already heard and approved that idea before)

step 3 is draft it, but that's already been done

step 4 is sign it and hand it to the clerk

step 5 is the speaker refers it to committee

idk man maybe it's impossible to get that done in time but it doesn't seem like it. So anyway, in the next session it should be a slam dunk right, as long as they keep the divorced man away from the bill it will easily pass right? Since the leadership and the caucus were all pro-repeal until someone did a rude maneuver in a committee so outrageous that killing the bill was the only just and proportionate response? Right?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 18, 2021

Dett Rite
Oct 24, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

Let me help you read. Note how it has nothing to do with is idiocy on Twitter (instead its his idiocy in the Legislature)

Highlighted for your convenience is the point where you concede that the leadership opposes repealing right-to-work legislation.

quote:

I argue that if leadership opposes repealing right to work legislation, that is a far more substantial problem than one guy using a maneuver designed to make sure the legislature has to vote on a bill.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dett Rite posted:

Highlighted for your convenience is the point where you concede that the leadership opposes repealing right-to-work legislation.

I argue that if leadership opposes repealing right to work legislation, that is a far more substantial problem than one guy using a maneuver designed to make sure the legislature has to vote on a bill.

I'm talking about his plan to upend the committee calendar and not his bill. He could've done this on the "free sunshine and puppies for everyone" bill and it would still piss the committee chairs/leadership off.

Once he pulled his stunt the motion on the table was "agree to the stunt or table the bill until the next session". This is the situation he put his allies in.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
If Lee wants to get poo poo done maybe he shouldn't go on Twitter and openly attack and insult the very people he needs to convince.

Dett Rite
Oct 24, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

I'm talking about his plan to upend the committee calendar and not his bill. He could've done this on the "free sunshine and puppies for everyone" bill and it would still piss the committee chairs/leadership off.

Hm.

quote:

My good pal, Enemycyborg3000, assures me that the legislature was going to try to avoid repealing Right To Work by dragging out the process of establishing the Ralph Northam Memorial School of Cosmetology.

As you told us, this is normally something that gets the leadership to roll their eyes and just vote for it no problem! This time, the leadership decided to summarily vote against repealing right to work legislature, in the full knowledge this meant it would not be voted on this session.

I have a difficult time blaming this on the guy who pulled the stunt.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

axeil posted:

Once he pulled his stunt the motion on the table was "agree to the stunt or table the bill until the next session". This is the situation he put his allies in.

yea I still don't get why people are mind-controlled into voting to gently caress sunshine and puppies if the bill cuts in line, that sounds like an excuse to me

maybe it's still not smart for the bill to cut in line, but why doesn't everyone involved have agency and why can't people be adults about this and say "well gee I really wanted my bill to go first, but that's less important than helping the puppies", instead if someone says "ah ha well now I'm voting to kill puppies thanks a lot, my actions are now all your fault" it kinda sounds like that's what they wanted to do but needed to blame their actions on something else

like if I jaywalked and then someone ran up and kicked me in the nuts and said "well look you put me in an awkward position where it was either approve of jaywalking or kick you in the nuts NO OTHER OPTIONS THANKS TO YOU!" they probably just wanted to kick someone in the nuts in the first place and needed a reason

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 18, 2021

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Okay I am going to do an effort post on how things work in local and state level politics.

So, at the lower levels of the United States tiered system of "Federal, State, and Local"; ideological battle-lines are a lot less fluid, especially in Virginia where our politicians are not a professional class, but more a part time job that tries to be careerist. So things are not straight "progressive" and "Centrist" and "conservative". At these levels you have mostly...regular people spending 3 months out of the year cosplaying as politicians. So this means that personal relationships with your caucus colleagues are super important to your legislative agenda's success. Interpersonal relationships carry a LOT more weight than the ideological incompatibilities of Left, Center, Right. Because again, these people aren't career politicians that work in the state capital all year round. At best, they are political hobbyists/cosplayers because the United States electorate only really cares about who is at the federal level despite the majority of decisions that affect their everyday life is actually in the hands of people like Jimbob Dobson, the man who owns 6 used car dealerships and yells way too much at little league games.

So in the previous paragraph I mentioned a lot of state legislators are part time hobbyist politicians. Well, in Virginia's case we decided to be extra loving stupid and limit our legislative session to only 30 days in odd years. In even years we get a whopping 45 Days! These things are tricky to change because to change them requires pay raises for legislators and budget increases so they can hire staff. Voters don't understand that these people are working a part-time job and to make a professional class of politician you need to be able to afford staff and pay for said politicians. And voters opinions of politician pay raises and budget increases are uh.....not great. So any change at that level is nigh impossible without a lot of popular support, which there is not because our civics education is dogshit so voters instinctively jam that "gently caress YOU" button any time pay raises or budget increases for staffing comes up. It is also a ever so lovely talking point for the GOP that is...really received well because the narrative of "All politicians are crooked" really resonates...especially after the 4 years of Trump. A large wing of the GOP state level apparatus is also wholly uninterested in governing, I say a large wing and not all because contrary to the higher levels, ideological boundaries are not as set in stone here.

And a lot of these people? Are not experts in a lot of the issues because....well, they can't afford staff to help them be experts in the issues. That is why citizen involvement is so important for progressive causes because we can do the legwork for the representatives. Like, a lot of these elected reps at this level don't even think about Right to Work in their daily lives. It just....doesn't come up for them because they are only elected officials for 1/4 of the year so like....they don't and really can't have to have expansive knowledge on every issue there is under the sun. It just isn't feasible to expect that from them either because again, they don't really have a staff that can help them research these things to form an opinion. It takes a LOT of work, time, and manhours to research issues. It is loving hard crafting legislation when you have barely any resources to get accurate information to form opinions. That is why the GOP is so powerful at the state level because they have organizations like ALEC that just churn out long form legislation for them to just sign their name too. The Democratic Party...doesn't really have that so we have to start from scratch. That is why you have some that have pet issues that a lot of their bills center around, Del. Danica Roem's main three issues are fixing Route 28, LGBTQ Policy, and school lunches. So like....you are on a serious clock when committee time rolls around, which means you have to make friends. You have to focus on interpersonal relationships to push your agenda because as a reminder, you are not working with Congressman Schiff, you are working with Jimbob Dobson, Used Car Dealer.

So the reason people like Danica Roem can be really effective at pushing their agenda is that she makes an effort to play nice with the other children. At this level you really have to focus on making friends and allies by signal boosting other representatives initiatives, you praise other Rep's efforts, you show up to help them campaign, you just be...decent to them. Like, the purpose of decorum is less for playing nice with opponents but not sandbagging people in your caucus. A lot of panels and community events happen at state and local levels that delegates usually get in on and it helps build consensus and helps show that you are a team player for other people's pet issues. Just being a friendly person goes a long way in getting your agenda through at the state level. Because people are reticent to listen or give time to an absolute curmudgeon who is just an rear end in a top hat. You get listened to by being polite and friendly, it is just how these things work because again, you are not dealing with professional politicians. State Level Reps.....get paid dogshit and they aren't doing this for the massive cash grab or lobbyist gigs. They are Jimbob Dobson, Used Car Dealer.

To illustrate, let's say you have this giant rear end in a top hat of a coworker who badmouths you all the time, never participates in any projects you are a part of, and is just a nightmare to collaborate with on anything. How much time, energy, and reputation would you be willing to put in when you have a half dozen deadlines to meet plus regular committee work? Interpersonal relationships matter. Playing nice with other children matters. Del. Ibrahim Samirah is just as much of a progressive firebrand as Del. Lee Carter is, but is still able to push his agenda. Why? Because people don't audibly groan when he comes into the room. Because he makes an effort to work with people and doesn't just go off on his own and complain on twitter about his caucus. Because he isn't working with professional politicians, he is working with a bunch of people cosplaying as politicians who don't have staffs that can give them all the info on issues. It is up to individual delegates to educate their colleagues on their pet issues and you don't get people to listen to you by screaming at them. You also don't get people to be on your side by launching your campaign by attacking your own caucus....the people you need to push your agenda if you win....

So now that I have talked about how important networking and interpersonal relationships are to local and state politics, let's go into some real silliness about the legislative process for Virginia. That's right, it's time to talk about crossover deadlines. A “crossover” deadline is the last day for a bill to pass out of the chamber in which it was introduced and move forward for consideration in the opposite chamber. So like, once that committee hopper is closed, that's it, there is no going back for a mulligan because THERE IS NO TIME. In order for a bill to be voted on in the next chamber it has to get out of committee and voted on the floor by 02/09/21. And as mentioned before, you have 30 days to do it....45 in an even year. There is a loving MOUNTAIN of bills that need to go through committee by the start of this. Like, Legislators on committees are often working will into the night and starting in the wee hours of the morning just getting through this massive backlog. It is a nightmare. Because once Feb 9th rolls around....its over. No more business can go to either chamber.

Now the procedural move Lee Carter did moved his bill to the front of the line. He did this without telling any of his cosponsors, or anyone on the caucus and that....is a no no. It is not "one weird trick to make sure you get a vote". It is "how can I piss off literally all the people I need to vote on this at once". If it were something that was done regularly to "make sure a bill gets heard" then people would be spamming that button all the drat time. But this is nothing new for Del Lee Carter. He is just...insufferable to work with on any level. I get a lot of this is inside baseball from an insider to VA Politics, but there is a reason Lee is being abandoned by a lot of groups. He is boorish, doesn't listen, is constantly needlessly combative, and just...a total rear end in a top hat. None of these things make him any friends inside Richmond because Twitter is not real life. Everyone just...hates him because he can't not be terminally online in real life and that has won him no friends....anywhere, even among his own allies. And his bill was the one in the hopper for RTW repeal so that is why HE hosed it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

complaining that voters hate their legislators when legislators are actively loving them over in the crossfire to get revenge on each other for petty workplace slights is amusing

"why won't voters give us pay raises and staff so we can pass more bills?"
*Right to Work comes up*
"voting no because someone party-fouled at the committee and I'm real miffed about it"
"but what about all the workers who need--"
"gently caress THEM THERE WAS A PARTY FOUL!"

gee can't imagine why no one wants to fund more of that

E: hey pay more taxes so we can spend more time in Richmond not helping you because it spites Joan for ordering Chinese takeout for the office when we already had it a week ago and I clearly said I wanted Thai next time we ordered in

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 18, 2021

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Thank you friendbot for saying what I was trying to say in a much more expansive and helpful way than I was able to.

This is exactly what I was trying to get across, but I don't have the experience dealing with Richmond you do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

VitalSigns posted:

complaining that voters hate their legislators when legislators are actively loving them over in the crossfire to get revenge on each other for petty workplace slights is amusing

"why won't voters give us pay raises and staff so we can pass more bills?"
*Right to Work comes up*
"voting no because someone party-fouled at the committee and I'm real miffed about it"
"but what about all the workers who need--"
"gently caress THEM THERE WAS A PARTY FOUL!"

gee can't imagine why no one wants to fund more of that

E: hey pay more taxes so we can spend more time in Richmond not helping you because it spites Joan for ordering Chinese takeout for the office when we already had it a week ago and I clearly said I wanted Thai next time we ordered in

Lee Carter is the one who hosed everyone over for petty reasons. He sabotaged his own initiative to promote himself.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Lee Carter is the one who hosed everyone over for petty reasons. He sabotaged his own initiative to promote himself.

maybe, but seems like everyone involved is petty if the response to that was to gently caress over every labor union in the state just to teach him a lesson, idk

just not surprised why the voter response to more money for raises and staff is to slam the gently caress YOU button if that's their excuse for not getting things done with the time they do have

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

It's clear in the quote that Vital is aware but disagrees with that argument.
If one could prove rather than just assert that an new copy of the bill couldn't be expedited while having other people apologize for that fuckup even if it means punishing Lee that move be a better comment.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rockit posted:

It's clear in the quote that Vital is aware but disagrees with that argument.
If one could prove rather than just assert that an new copy of the bill couldn't be expedited while having other people apologize for that fuckup even if it means punishing Lee that move be a better comment.

Please read Friendbot's post which explains pretty clearly how you only get one shot due to the insanely tight timelines and how his stunt put other bills in jeopardy of not meeting the deadline.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

axeil posted:

Please read Friendbot's post which explains pretty clearly how you only get one shot due to the insanely tight timelines and how his stunt put other bills in jeopardy of not meeting the deadline.

Given my framing, I'm on the point that the process could go really fast not saying less than 30 days is actually plenty of time here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rockit posted:

Given my framing, I'm on the point that the process could go really fast not saying less than 30 days is actually plenty of time here.

Can you please accept from the person in this thread (friendbot) who has actually dealt with talking to the VA leg about passing bills that it absolutely cannot go as fast as you think?

No one here is saying they like the insanity of the VA Leg's setup but we have to deal with what we have.