Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Career or not any politician that would have voted for the repeal and changed their vote is a bigger rear end in a top hat than Carter.

"I'm annoyed we are doing this out of order, so gently caress the poor" and you want us to blame the guy who put it out of order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dett Rite
Oct 24, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Harold Fjord posted:

Career or not any politician that would have voted for the repeal and changed their vote is a bigger rear end in a top hat than Carter.

"I'm annoyed we are doing this out of order, so gently caress the poor" and you want us to blame the guy who put it out of order?

It allows people to believe that if only One Weird Trick (Legislators Hate Him!) was followed Democrats would not have voted in favor of Right to Work legislation, and this is a highly valued coin in some circles.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

axeil posted:

Can you please accept from the person in this thread (friendbot) who has actually dealt with talking to the VA leg about passing bills that it absolutely cannot go as fast as you think?

No one here is saying they like the insanity of the VA Leg's setup but we have to deal with what we have.

I'd grant that the turnover date is an pretty obvious wall but otherwise I share the same interpretation of the process as vital.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I get that all this Mean Girls high school drama stuff is important, life-or-death important, to the people involved, and if you just let it slide when that Kady doesn't wear pink on Fridays then next thing you know my authority is in doubt and Regina George does not let some catty bitch make her a laughingstock in front of the whole school when the tenth grade prom queen title is on the line, or whatever. I don't mean to disparage any of that at all.

But I definitely get why the general public's reaction to politics ranges from bored to hostile when the answer to "hey can I form a union and get better pay" is "did you see what Kady is wearing today, like ohmygod, if you think I'm going to help her with her little 'Work to Right' thing or whatever, well she has another think coming, can you believe her oh and what she said to Aaron who is my boyfriend by the way but she can't keep her paws off him, and what was that, you're what oh your little union thing that's cool I'm happy for u or that sorry that happened, anyway back to me..."

like drat talk about self-owns, I'm sure putting bills out of order is a huge own goal, but so is...this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 19, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have no clue what that weird misogynist rant is meant to communicate.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
at some point i have to imagine that many of the posters in this thread have literally never been involved with any organization of any size or capacity

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

if it would have passed if he hadn't done that, yeah

there was a guy in the Texas Legislature who was exactly like this but was a Republican, he also never got any bills passed even though they probably all agreed with his political positions

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I don't think the general public is even aware enough of the dynamics of local politics to form an opinion on it

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

friendbot2000 posted:

Okay I am going to do an effort post on how things work in local and state level politics.

So, at the lower levels of the United States tiered system of "Federal, State, and Local"; ideological battle-lines are a lot less fluid, especially in Virginia where our politicians are not a professional class, but more a part time job that tries to be careerist. So things are not straight "progressive" and "Centrist" and "conservative". At these levels you have mostly...regular people spending 3 months out of the year cosplaying as politicians. So this means that personal relationships with your caucus colleagues are super important to your legislative agenda's success. Interpersonal relationships carry a LOT more weight than the ideological incompatibilities of Left, Center, Right. Because again, these people aren't career politicians that work in the state capital all year round. At best, they are political hobbyists/cosplayers because the United States electorate only really cares about who is at the federal level despite the majority of decisions that affect their everyday life is actually in the hands of people like Jimbob Dobson, the man who owns 6 used car dealerships and yells way too much at little league games.

honestly, yes, this is a good point and it's why you usually don't see political parties on like super local elections like City Council For Town With 3,000 People; it's just VOTE FOR (name) with a big smiling picture of them in a suit over a nice background, after thinking about it for a minute.

state and federal level are the big important elections, but the only reason i don't have a fuckoff huge cell phone tower like 500 feet from where i live is because i and my neighbors contacted my local city councilperson

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I have no clue what that weird misogynist rant is meant to communicate.

the legislators are acting like bratty high school kids, and it's not surprising why voters aren't enthused to give them more resources when the answer to "why can't I form a union" is "someone slighted me and I have to slight them back, that's how Richmond works"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

goethe.cx posted:

I don't think the general public is even aware enough of the dynamics of local politics to form an opinion on it

clearly they are since FB was complaining that every request for more funding from voters was met with gently caress YOU

idk if every time I gave everyone in my state a chance to check "gently caress YOU" they did it without fail I'd start to wonder if maybe the problem is me

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

VitalSigns posted:

the legislators are acting like bratty high school kids, and it's not surprising why voters aren't enthused to give them more resources when the answer to "why can't I form a union" is "someone slighted me and I have to slight them back, that's how Richmond works"

personal relationships being key to success isn't unique to politics, its just extra important because the stakes are higher

also the key thing here is that repealing RTW isn't some essentially linchpin democratic issue, its just an issue that most representatives don't care about, or have a low level opposition to - which is why they were persuadable votes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

It's not "slighting", it's "sabotaging the entire legislative calendar and planning process so you can tweet about it".

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

theflyingorc posted:

at some point i have to imagine that many of the posters in this thread have literally never been involved with any organization of any size or capacity

my world of warcraft guilt proves otherwise :smug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I have and part of being an adult is working to accomplish the goals of the organization even if someone at the office makes you mad, getting revenge on them by sabotaging everyone is childish

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

clearly they are since FB was complaining that every request for more funding from voters was met with gently caress YOU

idk if every time I gave everyone in my state a chance to check "gently caress YOU" they did it without fail I'd start to wonder if maybe the problem is me

how do you know that it's a result of voters' knowledge of petty local dynamics rather than a kneejerk reaction of "POLITICIANS BAD"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not "slighting", it's "sabotaging the entire legislative calendar and planning process so you can tweet about it".

I don't see how it's sabotaging the calendar if allegedly the bill was going to be considered anyway, if you have time for 11 things and thing 10 moves up to spot 1 you still have time for 11 things

maybe it's childish, but so is loving over every worker in the state over it, the person messing with the calendar might be an rear end in a top hat but the people responding by loving millions of people who had nothing to do with that are patently bigger assholes

goethe.cx posted:

how do you know that it's a result of voters' knowledge of petty local dynamics rather than a kneejerk reaction of "POLITICIANS BAD"

well if it's a kneejerk reaction, the only remedy would be explaining all the details, and here the details are such petty Mean Girls bullshit that the kneejerk "I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING BUT POLITICIANS BAD" response is probably more positive to politicians than the response you'd get if you explained...that.

Like if I suspected politicians might be bad, then someone went into detail about how nothing can ever get done because they're all acting like children I'd be like "oh wow they're worse than I thought my god"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I have and part of being an adult is working to accomplish the goals of the organization even if someone at the office makes you mad, getting revenge on them by sabotaging everyone is childish

Have you ever actually been a part of a political organization though?

Like even the DSA is done with Lee Carer so it’s funny seeing Goons stumble over themselves to tell people who are actually involved in this poo poo that they are wrong.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

"4 out or 5 wives agree, lee carter is bad for VA" is still an epic burn

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Have you ever actually been a part of a political organization though?

Like even the DSA is done with Lee Carer so it’s funny seeing Goons stumble over themselves to tell people who are actually involved in this poo poo that they are wrong.

I guess but the evidence posted about that was him correctly labeling vicious personal attacks on his divorce as the abuse that they are, and I'm still not sure why evidence of some guy getting bullied and abused is an own on the bullied and not the bully

like maybe he did something horrible I don't know about but so far the proof that he's bad is people tweeting clearly awful unacceptable things to him

E:

Aruan posted:

"4 out or 5 wives agree, lee carter is bad for VA" is still an epic burn

case in point

if he said that to someone else you know the people celebrating the epic burn would be making GBS threads bricks over online bullying and toxic discourse

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 19, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Harold Fjord posted:

To be frank i'm not so sure convincing voters of the systemic issues of the Virginian legislature is such an impossible task.

You've got 10.5 months to do other things...not everyone may be luckily enough to find the time and skill to do PR and explain all this to people but doesn't mean that person doesn't exist.

Like it's not an guarantee you can reach people about this but this tactic only seems as risky as any political move.

goethe.cx posted:

I don't think Vital is necessarily arguing that people know just that this is just another reason poo poo doesn't get done.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see how it's sabotaging the calendar if allegedly the bill was going to be considered anyway, if you have time for 11 things and thing 10 moves up to spot 1 you still have time for 11 things

Because it throws off all schedule planning for deliberation and negotiation on all of the other items. The other bills also matter, and all of the legislators planned their reading and discussion in an incredibly small time window around the order. Carter could have at least had an opportunity to get the loving thing passed by negotiating with his vote on the other things before it in the calendar.

It was an openly and deliberately destructive move that only makes sense if he cares more about a know-nothing narrative of performative persecution than actually changing the law. The only people who think it's defensible are the people who desire the unaccountable anger of willful powerlessness over actually improving things.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Am I crazy or isn't repealing right to work something that is specifically in the VA dems platform? and yet when push came to shove only 13 of 55 VA house Dems voted to end right work?

Lee's bill wasn't getting out of committee if he didn't pull this stunt. It would have died just like it has the past two years. Just like his bill giving teachers the right to strike died in committee because it is not something the majority of Virginia Democratic politicians support and they prefer not looking bad by voting against it.

I am wondering why a state controlled by a Democratic house and a Democratic Senate with a Democratic governor cannot pass a repeal of right to work which is something their own party's central committee unanimously supported.

The answer is that the majority of Virginia Democratic politicians don't really care about repealing right to work. This vote put them on the record and they now have to be held accountable for their vote.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

VitalSigns posted:

I guess but the evidence posted about that was him correctly labeling vicious personal attacks on his divorce as the abuse that they are, and I'm still not sure why evidence of some guy getting bullied and abused is an own on the bullied and not the bully

like maybe he did something horrible I don't know about but so far the proof that he's bad is people tweeting clearly awful unacceptable things to him

E:

case in point

if he said that to someone else you know the people celebrating the epic burn would be making GBS threads bricks over online bullying and toxic discourse

i don't really care about him being mean on twitter to people because being mean to twitter is inherently bad - hes a toxic shithead, he should own it, whatever - its that its specifically counterproductive to him achieving his legislative goals because it makes people hate him when he openly dogs his coworkers.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

I guess but the evidence posted about that was him correctly labeling vicious personal attacks on his divorce as the abuse that they are, and I'm still not sure why evidence of some guy getting bullied and abused is an own on the bullied and on the bully

E:

case in point

Axeil was an fool for listing that but he also Lee's dispute of NOVADSA.

Doesn't make dunking someone for the crime of divorce any less petty mind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Because it throws off all schedule planning for deliberation and negotiation on all of the other items. The other bills also matter, and all of the legislators planned their reading and discussion in an incredibly small time window around the order. Carter could have at least had an opportunity to get the loving thing passed by negotiating with his vote on the other things before it in the calendar.

It was an openly and deliberately destructive move that only makes sense if he cares more about a know-nothing narrative of performative persecution than actually changing the law. The only people who think it's defensible are the people who desire the unaccountable anger of willful powerlessness over actually improving things.

I'm not saying it's defensible, merely that the response seems wildly disproportionate to the uhhh for the sake of argument I'll say "offense".

like okay people who planned to show up to debate thing 3 at 3:00 now have to wait because everything is delayed, not cool, people have dentist appointments I get it, there's other legislative priorities I get that too, but like maybe the welfare of millions of working people in Virginia should also be a priority idk. Is there no tool in the toolbox besides "let it slide" and "gently caress millions of people", like they can't go "ok you suck dude next session your stuff is last and also we're giving you the lovely parking spot now"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

People are petty fuckers in all kinds of contexts. Academia, commercial sector, public sector, you name it. Successful politicians, i.e. those who actually get poo poo done, know this, and try very hard to build coalitions while avoiding stepping on people's toes.

This whole affair was purely, 100% Lee's fault. Full stop. Trying to spread the blame is dumb.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

It has more to do with the fact that changing the way the VA legislature works requires constitutional amendments and you only get 2 per legislative session(according to the VA Constitution) and ho boy do they take up a LOT of time that can be spent on other bills, require a ton of resources that state parties...don't really have because amendments have to be voted on twice: Once by the legislature and then it goes to a ballot initiative for all voters. And well....voters cannot be trusted to understand ballot initiatives so it is really risky for something as mind-numbingly boring as "Change how the inner workings of the VA Legislature operate). You could do repeal the barrier for 2 amendments sure, but then you only get one because the repeal counts!

Like it was floated that we repeal the 2 Amendment cap this year, but the caucus decided to repeal the gay marriage ban in our state constitution and enshrine the right to equitable education were more pressing. Like, there is a LOT of poo poo that is super broke in Virginia and we are really only 2 years or in reality 75 days into fixing things. That is the scope of the progress that has been made. I love my state, but boy is it loving stupid sometimes.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 19, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

People are petty fuckers in all kinds of contexts. Academia, commercial sector, public sector, you name it. Successful politicians, i.e. those who actually get poo poo done, know this, and try very hard to build coalitions while avoiding stepping on people's toes.

This whole affair was purely, 100% Lee's fault. Full stop. Trying to spread the blame is dumb.

Nah takes two to tango.

Yes, it's important to not step on people's toes. If you do, and they spitefully gently caress everyone over to get back on you, that's partly on you for being dumb but also on them for being a petty fucker.

Clearly this is a two-way street, successful people are also able to deal with having their toes stepped on in a mature way, successful people don't generally go apeshit and sabotage everyone around them because someone slighted them. If someone moved the death penalty bill on the calendar and Lee voted against it out of spite, I would say that's partly his fault, I would not be like "well hey someone annoyed him so gently caress the sanctity of life I guess"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
RTW is not the only issue that matters. You are sealioning every loving aspect of the state legislative process to a succession of state activists.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

It has more to do with the fact that changing the way the VA legislature works requires constitutional amendments and you only get 2 per legislative session(according to the VA Constitution) and ho boy do they take up a LOT of time that can be spent on other bills, require a ton of resources that state parties...don't really have because amendments have to be voted on twice: Once by the legislature and then it goes to a ballot initiative for all voters. And well....voters cannot be trusted to understand ballot initiatives so it is really risky for something as mind-numbingly boring as "Change how the inner workings of the VA Legislature operate). You could do repeal the barrier for 2 amendments sure, but then you only get one because the repeal counts!

Like it was floated that we repeal the 2 Amendment cap this year, but the caucus decided to repeal the gay marriage ban in our state constitution and enshrine the right to equitable education were more pressing. Like, there is a LOT of poo poo that is super broke in Virginia and we are really only 2 years or in reality 75 days into fixing things. That is the scope of the progress that has been made. It really has only been 75 days for the legislature. I love my state, but boy is it loving stupid sometimes.

yeahhhh ok so maybe they can't reintroduce the bill without changing the constitution (seems dumb, actually I know that's not true because special sessions are a thing but anyway)...but I don't see why they couldn't pass the bill anyway and then punish only Lee for his unseemly maneuver rather than taking out their anger on millions of people

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

RTW is not the only issue that matters.

True but irrelevant, repealing or not repealing RTW has no bearing on whether those other issues pass

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

RTW is not the only issue that matters. You are sealioning every loving aspect of the state legislative process to a succession of state activists.

It's not sealioning to disagree with people in the thread jesus loving christ.

It's not the only issue that matters but I've only seen various goons' word that it wasn't gonna be blocked yet again and they are all on the same side of this. Looks like maybe that was the only way to get these rear end in a top hat Dems on record as being assholes who don't care about RTW

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 19, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

friendbot2000 posted:

Like it was floated that we repeal the 2 Amendment cap this year, but the caucus decided to repeal the gay marriage ban in our state constitution and enshrine the right to equitable education were more pressing. Like, there is a LOT of poo poo that is super broke in Virginia and we are really only 2 years or in reality 75 days into fixing things. That is the scope of the progress that has been made. It really has only been 75 days for the legislature. I love my state, but boy is it loving stupid sometimes.

Sure but this seems like a big obstacle to doing all that no?

Discendo Vox posted:

Scheduling if it's all going to get done anyways while certainly an big enough issue to call someone an rear end in a top hat over it is not the kind of issue to throw perfectly good law under the bus.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 19, 2021

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

True but irrelevant, repealing or not repealing RTW has no bearing on whether those other issues pass

eh when they have to cram 700 bills into 30 days of schedule it kind of does

Dett Rite
Oct 24, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

For example, Virginia legislators have established they consider it a less important issue than literally everything else on their legislative calendar.

Reasons given for this have included an epic divorce burn on twitter and one man being very angry at podcasts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

Carter taking a giant poo poo on the entire legislative schedule in order to attract attention to himself from people deliberately ignorant of the legislative process does have a bearing on whether those other issues pass. This has been explained at least three times.

Take a hint- the DSA, the unions, his own party, and every VA activist on the forums is telling you you are wrong about this. You are beginning from the position of reflexively defending Carter and doing so in opposition to and in ignorance of every aspect of the situation. Others are having to explain the legislative process to you and you are just learning about it now.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 19, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

This has been explained at least three times.

It's certainly been asserted. If they all voted to pass it what bill was going to get left out in the cold?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

eh when they have to cram 700 bills into 30 days of schedule it kind of does

that might justify not messing with the schedule in the first place, but surely it doesn't justify loving over millions of working people if someone does change the schedule. How does that unchange the schedule.

And hey my state has a part time legislature with poo poo pay and they only meet every other year or some dumb poo poo so I get the schedule crunch, but you know what happened when everything didn't pass in time once, and an abortion ban got left until the last day and killed with a Dem filibuster because someone hosed up? The Republicans called a special session and passed it anyway, they didn't go "ohhhhhh well nothing we can do it was all Dewhurst's fault, better luck next time dee-de-dee" because they actually care about doing (evil) poo poo, not just pretending they want to do things then coming up with excuses not to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

Nah takes two to tango.

Yes, it's important to not step on people's toes. If you do, and they spitefully gently caress everyone over to get back on you, that's partly on you for being dumb but also on them for being a petty fucker.

Clearly this is a two-way street, successful people are also able to deal with having their toes stepped on in a mature way, successful people don't generally go apeshit and sabotage everyone around them because someone slighted them. If someone moved the death penalty bill on the calendar and Lee voted against it out of spite, I would say that's partly his fault, I would not be like "well hey someone annoyed him so gently caress the sanctity of life I guess"

Is it really, honestly confusing that people will spitefully gently caress over someone who cuts in line?

it's absolutely never worth anyone's time to get in an argument or confrontation with a line cutter, but people do anyway and it serves a purpose. If line cutters are not punished then the line collapses into a mob, which in the worst cases can stampede or trample people. In the context of this time-cramped legislature that means shouting arguments as everyone tries to be first that prevent the business of the committee from being accomplished.