Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Gouto's writeup seems to have two Hyper Condensers in it. From context it sounds like one of them is supposed to be Interceptors.

edit: There's an update on the previous page! Go look at everyone's Sentinel weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ogata becomes the best pilot in the game when you unlock his hyper condenser, in my opinion. That shredder is insane when it can hit such a huge area. And on single enemies I'm pretty sure it straight up does extra hits. The vast majority of enemies die in one hit to that thing.

I actually do use the plasma cutters, but pretty much purely to take down incredibly tanky enemies like HiQuads.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Plasma Cutters are insanely powerful (against big targets it's just a better version of the Demolisher Blade), but since 2nd gens are best at spamming sentry guns, you're right that it's a little niche.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As noted, Yuki's Leg Spike (and some other skills) means that unlike the other G4s who want to spam Interceptors all day, Yuki is effectively a flying G1 unit in exchange for doing a little less damage.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Dropping a super large missle on a big enemy mob is one of my most cathartic gaming experiences in recent memory

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Really the only real problem I have with Destruction is that it doesn't explain itself. It's kind of a shame, although at the same time it also loves to wield its incomprehensibility as an aesthetic, which is kind of a power move, so I can respect it a little.

The glorious overpoweredness of sentries and interceptors is a prime example of this. The description you get of sentries looks comprehensive, it shows you the power of the gun, its HP, and the number of shots. Okay. But it neglects to mention the most important thing about them, the thing that makes them so good, which I'm sure we're going to see in an update real soon. Interceptors are a similar deal, you get all these numbers but there's a huge info gap re: how useful they actually are, how do they move, are they like sentries where they only get so many shots or do they continue on until they die, how does their AI behave, what are they actually strong and weak against, etc. You can experiment and find out, although good luck getting a read on what they're doing in the chaos of battle.

Similarly, the exact mechanics of overheating and EMP-stun are left to your imagination, and you might never realise how useful thermal mines are in the right situations, or how useless EMPs are in the wrong ones.

The most common one you'll run into is, "but will this kill them"? It is possible to check the current numeric HP of an enemy, but it's weirdly difficult to do! I think a lot of players don't even know it's possible!

There are answers to all of these questions, of course, but it feels like it's all stuff the game should be far more upfront about.

I think I mentioned it before; the hard difficulty in this game is great. What it actually changes is the survivability of your Sentinels, such that chip damage can actually wear them down and big dangerous attacks can actually put you in danger, but otherwise enemies don't turn into damage sponges or get silly action advantages or any other bullshit like that, it simply brings the margin of error down just low enough that you have to start paying attention to it. It's still pretty easy, although it'll get you at times! I'm a big fan.

This is one of those games I have dreams about broad conversion mods of.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 14: Destruction 1

Video: Destruction Wave 1-1

These battles are going to make a lot more sense in video form, so I’ll be posting those as well.

Music: (VALINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

I’ve got this weird pressure in my legs, like they’re super cramped… It’s not just me, right?

I mean, I heard about the kind of dreams you’ve been having. It’s super weird to me too… But I kinda figured you might be involved in all this too, Iori.

More time in the pilot’s seat will help condition your body. Eventually you won’t even notice it anymore. Well, a force of 13 Sentinels makes a formidable team. Even accounting for the pilots’ inexperience.

You’re kidding… It’ll be even worse than the attack on my city…?

They’re here… Eyes up, everyone.

Those circles around the terminal are the defenders, for the record.

So, let’s begin.

The first thing that’s going to happen is that Shu Amiguchi is going to immediately fire this rocket at Nenji Ogata.

Don’t worry, it’s a Shield Matrix.

Before the first drop of kaiju has even hit the ground, we’re already laying down a Sentry Gun as Juro near the landing site.

These are the only kaiju we’ll be fighting in this level. I’ll try to show the descriptions for new enemies as they pop up.

Once they’re on the ground, we soften them up with Long-Range Missiles courtesy of Natsuno.

I also decide to at least try to get some use out of Flare Torpedo here.

Leg Spike has a lot of Setup Movement, but not quite enough to get Yuki over to the enemy here, so we have to move her around manually as well.

Same for Nenji. We’re gonna move him and Yuki down to this Hi-Quad and take it down.

Leg Spike is loving powerful. Dealt almost 4k damage here. Now we just need Nenji to finish it off.

Now, we move Yuki east to help Gouto mop up some enemies on that side.

All the while, we’re continuing to throw out Sentry Guns with Juro and Iori.

Worth noting that it’s fairly easy to run out of EP, especially if the pilots you have using their big moves aren’t the ones getting the big kills. On bigger maps, the people who spam Sentries are generally fine because they’re wiping up a lot of small enemies and getting EP back from it, but in the case of the Hi-Quad Nenji finished off earlier, he got all the EP reward from it despite Yuki doing most of the damage. If someone gets low, it’s often best to just have them Defend for the next several seconds, though the EP regained from that isn’t quite as high as you might like.

Juro here is using his Machine cannons against a pack of enemies, including a Hi-Quad. Unfortunately, the Hi-Quad is armored, so he does piddly damage against it. This is why it’s so important to have armor piercing moves—even Sentry Guns aren’t armor piercing, which severely cuts into their ability to damage big enemies.

This shot depicts a Hi-Quad about to gently caress Nenji up with an attack, when Yuki shows up to save the day (don’t worry, he woulda been fine, his turn was about to come up. One of the best parts about using Leg Spike is that because the 4th-generation models are fliers, they can easily move around to hit the back of any enemy for that sweet 1.5x damage bonus. I took this shot at a bad time so the bonus doesn’t actually show up here, but I got it, believe me. :v:

And that’s the whole fight. Pretty simple.

How long you been sittin’ on THAT trick? Why can’t we just do that to all of ‘em?

The Aegis can’t activate unless they get close enough to the terminal.

Their goal is to slip into terminals stationed in various positions across the UFO.
If they seize control of the mainframe, our world is as good as gone. Our current situation demands a defensive approach. To keep the terminals safe, we have to rely on the Aegis.

Weird that we’re just going with the plan that will apparently kill time, but I’m sure that these guys know something I don’t. A lot of somethings, in fact..

So what, the best we can hope for is to keep this one thing safe? Makes it sound like we’re getting the poo poo kicked out of us.
It’s true… All we can hope for is to protect it to the end.

So, MVP awarding is kind of weird. It derives some formula based on the amount of damage you dealt and how much you took and uses that to figure out who did the most for the team while being the least of a liability. It might even just subtract damage received from damage dealt, who knows? Either way, Somehow Natsuno ended up the top dog here, which is weird because I didn’t feel like I had her do all that much. It would have been Nenji, but he took the most damage. Understandable, as he’s our front-line fighter. These stats determine the amount of experience you gain but you don’t need to think too deeply about them. Just get hit less.

We get 1 Mystery Point for our first clear of any stage, and it also tallies up our score here.

S-Rank! Nice job!

As a reward for getting an S-Rank, we gain a new Mystery File.

And another new mystery file for completing the bonus objective.

We got 1 Mystery Point for completing that stage. Mystery Point gain is largely a function of score, so if we want more we should try to run it up. There’s a couple ways to do this, one of which we’ll get into in a second.

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

So, the six pilots we used in that battle are now halfway to Brain Overload, or BOL. Pilots with Brain Overload need to sit out the next battle. Unfortunately, the Brain Overload meter doesn’t go down over time. The only way to make it decrease is to fill up the meter all the way and then have the pilot take a mandatory break. If we were so inclined, we could simply hit “Recover” and make everyone better instantly, but that would reset the score multiplier, which increases by 10% every time we complete a stage.

Aerial enemies present here, plus we need Iori for the bonus objective. Let’s take Ei, Iori, Ryoko, Miura, Gouto, and Shu. It’s generally good to take at least one of every generation, even if the enemy types are slanted in favor of air or ground.

As for upgrades, we’re going to get the Meta-System up to Level 4, and the Score Multiplier up to Level 2.

Ei will unlock and equip EMP Surrounding. This will be crucial in the next fight.

Juro will unlock and equip Guardian.

Iori will upgrade Sentry Gun to +2 (Lock-on Distance +30 to +60, POW +50 to +100).

Ryoko will upgrade Multi Rocket Launchers to +1 (Lock-on Distance +30, Lock-on Range +20) and Guardian to +1 (Lock-on Distance +30, HP +250). The difference between Lock-on Distance and Lock-on Range is simple: Lock-on Distance determines how far away from your character you can place the attack, while Lock-on Range is the size of the attack’s area of effect, so it would determine from how far away the Guardian pulls enemies to it.

Miura will upgrade Long-Range Missiles to +1 (Lock-on Range +0 to +20, Lock-on Distance +0 to +50) and Main Battery Heavy Railgun to +1 (POW +0 to +50, WT 6.0s to 5.9s).

Shu will upgrade Multi-Lock Missiles to +1 (Number Fired +0 to +3, POW +0 to +2).

Now, let’s deploy.

Video: Destruction Wave 1-2

Music: (VALINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

Not great for my mech. I can punch like a truck, but I can’t reach the guys in the air.

Pain in the rear end, though…

They ended up with a focus on raw power over mobility. They didn’t know they’d have to deal with these flyers.
Hey, hold on a sec, Amiguchi. How do you know all this crap?
Well, uh, funny story. I guess you could say it just… came to me in a dream.
The hell are you talking about?

Again, the first thing we do is put down a Sentry Gun courtesy of Iori. I probably should have given Ryoko Sentry Gun too, but I chose to upgrade those Guardians for some reason instead. Not that they won’t find some use, though.

See, the big problem we’re gonna face here is that these fliers are fast. To protect the terminal, we’re going to need vigilance from the whole squad, including Ei, who’s largely trapped with ground-based armaments. He’s still got a few tricks, though. That EMP Surrounding we just gave him produces a localized electromagnetic pulse around his Sentinel, perfect for dropping and stopping these flyers.

The only problem is that since it’s localized around his Sentinel, Ei’s going to be running around the arena like a madman using this thing and trying to keep up with the enemies.

Ei also has his Anti-Air Defensive Flares, which don’t do much in terms of damage but are handy for preventing flying enemies or missiles from intruding in a certain direction.

Simultaneously, we have Shu make some excursions to take down big enemy clumps with Multi-Lock Missiles.

When he’s not doing that, he’s got his Shield Matrix up to defend allies.

Ei, still using EMPs constantly.

Throw in some Miura railguns for good measure.

Iori, sadly, isn’t going to make much of a dent in this horde with these cannons.

However, while all this is happening, Ryoko is throwing out a Guardian or two for the purpose of drawing enemy eyes away from the terminal or our Sentinels.

A good peppering of sentry fire and weaker moves from there enable us to make short work of these fools. Also, Gouto was here, and I didn’t mention him once.

Um, my head’s been really hurting for a while now… Is something going wrong…?
Ugh, now that you say that, mine’s pounding too… Something messing with our heads?

Piloting the Sentinel is an intensely demanding process. Using it puts massive pressure on your brain. You can’t remain deployed for extended periods, or you start getting backlash.

I suggest you get out of the Sentinel right now. Unless you want to forget your entire life.
Not exactly a user-friendly robot… Let’s get out of these, Fuyusaka.
Y-Yeah…

Ryoko, unfortunately, didn’t deal much damage there. Especially compared to Iori, holy poo poo! Sentries are ridiculous!

Now that she’s made it to Level 5, Iori got her first skill. We’ll check out what that does in a second.

We won’t be doing another battle immediately, but this is what it looks like when a pilot has Brain Overload. Also worth noting: pilots with Brain Overload are removed from the defense team as well.

Here’s Iori’s skill. Whenever kaiju appear, her defense and WT recovery speed increase for a time. Neat.

For Ryoko, we unlock the Sentry Gun and increase it to +2 (Lock-on Distance +0 to +60, POW +0 to +100).

And for Ei, we increase everything he has to 1. That’s:
  • Rush Attack +1 (Number of Attacks +0 to +1)
  • Demolisher Blade +1 (Number of Attacks +0 to +2, POW +0 to +3)
  • Anti-Air Defensive Flares +1 (Number Fired +0 to +1)
  • EMP Surrounding +1 (POW +0 to +20, Lock-on Range +0 to +30)

And we can now progress further with Shu’s story… if you’re so inclined.

Juro Kurabe (22% completion)
Iori Fuyusaka (28%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (25%)
Yuki Takamiya (14%)
Shu Amiguchi (14%)
Destruction (23%)

There's also:

Takatoshi Hijiyama (14%, locked behind Ogata)
Ei Sekigahara (28%, locked behind Natsuno)

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 17, 2022

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Have we ever seen a large portrait of Miura in a sentinel before this update? Now that I've noticed the scar on his forhead I'm wondering if there's a connection with the bandage on Shinonome's.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 4, 2021

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
The Brain Overload system seems like a really good concept. If you don't feel like engaging with it you can just recover after each battle so you always have everyone available, but if you want the bonuses it offers you have to reconsider your strategy each stage because you can't just rely on the same pilots every time. Neat!

Interesting detail about the Sentinels: they're numbered from 10 to 23 except that number 18 is missing. That's the one Okino is using, I guess? The numbers are sorted by generation, suggesting that #18 is third-generation. I'm sure this will be a meaningful piece of information about fifty updates from now.

Aumanor posted:

Have we ever seen a large portrait of Miura in a sentinel before this update? Now that I've noticed the scar on his forhead I'm wondering if there's a connection with the bandage on Shinonome's.

We have, actually. He was fighting alongside Natsuno in the battle section of update #4. I don't think his scar has been mentioned, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 15: Shu Amiguchi 2

Music: Forty Winks (Rikako Watanabe)

All these weird dreams must be getting to me… …And that show that came on in the middle of the night.

Consider Motorcycle Key

(I woke up late this morning, so I came to school by bike. But I’ve got it parked off in the shopping district. That way the school can’t get on my case about it.)

Consider Miyuki Inaba

(…Heh. Who’d believe me?)

No easy way to drop that bomb. They’d have me committed.

I wanted to talk about my dream… Might be out in the passageway…

Tomi and Miwako leave the classroom from the other doorway.

Miwako runs to hide behind Tomi.

Consider Tomi Kisaragi

(She’s in 1-B. Same class as Kurabe-kun. She’s not even my type, but I can’t get her out of my head. …Must be from all those dreams…)

Why bother remembering me?
I never get a girl’s name wrong.
*groan*

Come on, let’s go.

Let’s walk over to Class 1-A now.

No sign of her, though.

You successfully scared her away with your leering. Good job!

For the love of god, no one tell Shu what the robot is named!

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

Even if I could, it wouldn’t solve anything…
…Look, you don’t have to tell me any details if you don’t want to… But it sounds like a pretty rough situation. Well… for what it’s worth… You can crash at my place whenever you need to, okay?
I owe you a debt of gratitude for all you’ve done. I’ll be all right. I’m staying with an acquaintance now.
Oh yeah? Glad to hear it, man.

Ah, well, this is…

It talks?

Is it yours?
Not exactly…

Oh yeah.

*pained wheeze of laughter*

Just been having some crazy dreams lately, I guess.

*quiet moan*

Hope things start getting better for you soon, man.
Thank you.

Consider That Dream

(But I feel like I know everyone I keep seeing in them. Well… Maybe I really am just dreaming. Makes more sense than them being premonitions. I dunno if that could really be our future, anyway. Everything in them is way too crazy. Even that dream…)

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

Hope they didn’t find us…

They had this pear tart… It was amazing. (holding back tears) And now… even my own apartment… It’s all ruined. All gone.
Are you gonna be okay?

I gotta stay strong… Ugh, my voice is all scratchy from crying all day…
You sound good to me. And scratchy or not…

We might see a rescue copter flying around or something.
What, up there? The only things flying around are the weird bug things. Nobody’s here to help us…

I mean…

Use Help Won’t Come on Tomi Kisaragi

Those things erased everybody. Like how everyone in the city just vanished at once… I saw it happen. I bet Mom and Dad were…

Whatever these big killer alien things are… They’ve clearly got us way outclassed in tech. They can wipe out whole crowds without a beam or anything. And still, with all that power… They come here in this gigantic horde. They dig these holes all over town, and then…

……
And us. We didn’t get killed, or vanish, or anything… There’s gotta be a reason for that, too.

It’s crazy that you can still keep it together, even with all this stuff…

Trust me, I’m freaking out too…

You okay?

They didn’t find us.

What?
Huh? Uh… Well… Y-You really changed.

Music: A F8ful Struggle (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

It just makes me wonder…

I was listening to one of your streams, and… You said you kinda go for tough guys. Cool guys. That’s basically it.
What!? …… That’s it? That’s why you started trying to be such a badass?
I guess I got the look down, but I couldn’t walk the walk, huh?

You were already popular enough back then. Why would you go that far just ‘cause I said…?

That’s… actually my username.
Whaaat!?

Hey, it’s not like I was keeping it a secret.

(to self) I only got so far ‘cause of him. That’s why I started getting serious about my singing. ‘Cause he supported me. Told me I was a great singer.
Well, you *are* a great singer.

There *were* other survivors!
We came to rescue you.

My name is Keitaro Miura. What about you two?

I’m…

Now… Who are you?
Me?

DUN DUN DU—wait, we already knew that, what the hell

And we’ve unlocked Miura! Not Tomi for some reason, Miura! Weird!

But we’ve got some new minor updates to make to the board!

First up, we’re finally adding Tomi to the board. After that scene, I think it’s fair to suggest some kind of romantic connection with Ida. I could, by the same logic, link Shu and Yuki, but that seems premature because Shu is a loving horndog.

And second is linking Shu and Miyuki Inaba, who I also just added. She may not have appeared in this chapter, but she got her name spoken aloud and that’s almost as good! I wonder what the connection between these characters could be…

And here’s what the board looks like at present.

Time to vote!

Iori Fuyusaka (28%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (25%)
Yuki Takamiya (14%)
Shu Amiguchi (28%)
Keitaro Miura (0%)
Destruction (23%)

There's also:

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 17, 2022

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Miyuki and Tomi are the same person, aren't they? What with all the talk about singing and everything. Either that or it's something completely out of left field...although that wouldn't be particularly surprising given everything else so far.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Is there some sort of rule that you must be at least 2 different people at once to be a main character and/or survive whatever the hell the kaijus did to vanish people?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ah, I get it!

It's 13 sentinels because this is a multiversal rendition of '—All You Zombies—' and the single person that is everyone only turned into a robot 13 times.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Can you put the people who are in theory the same in the same column or something or is this game gonna go crazy and have everybody be everybody somehow with time travel shenanigans.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I mean, I'm relatively certain that BJ and Ms Morimura are different people.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Apparently there's some merch for the game, and it's adorable. The plushies have magnets in their hands to stick together. https://mamegyorai.shop/en/collections/13sar

I don't know enough yet to say if anything there is a spoiler, but merch has a tendency to do that, so beware, I guess?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raitzeno posted:

Apparently there's some merch for the game, and it's adorable. The plushies have magnets in their hands to stick together. https://mamegyorai.shop/en/collections/13sar

I don't know enough yet to say if anything there is a spoiler, but merch has a tendency to do that, so beware, I guess?

The plushies are adorable but from what I can see there are spoilers for the game on the other merch and it could be even worse on the back unless it just shows the same stuff.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Hijiyama keychain coming with a little yakisoba pan keychain is the most important thing

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
the naked teens mug tho :gonk:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 16: Keitaro Miura 1

Wait, what

I guess not, but we’re supposed to be working. How’s everything on your end?
Sector 2’s construction is going pretty smoothly so far. We should be able to sustain a second colony soon. All it’ll take is four more orbits, tops. You doing okay?
Still getting used to zero-G. And trying not to puke. As for the project, we’ve got a few complications. Got the ethics committee breathing down our necks.
Didn’t know space exploration was a matter of ethics.
No, they’re all worked up about our machines. Their self-replication is what’s making the board nervous.

…They’re worried about a war with aliens that might not even exist? Shouldn’t our ethics team be more grounded in reality?
You’re one to talk. Still reading about history 24/7?
Yeah. It’s fascinating stuff.

Two hundred years ago, right? When this all started?
Part of a world war, involving countless powerful nations. It reshaped the way we approach technology and ideology. Like I said, fascinating stuff.

Sounds like a big mess to me.
Oh, well… If you’d like I could send over some light reading on it.
I think I’ll pass.

Ouch.

So… any idea when we can meet up again?
It’ll be about 420 hours until the next time I’m off…

Nice. Is that still a thing in the future? Evidently not.

I guess one of them is receiving some kind of call.

Good. I’ll be looking forward to it.
Bye.

Okay, so… what the gently caress was that?

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

No scar, interesting…

And not a single student attending.
They need every able-bodied student at the factories.
I know, we’re in a state of emergency.

Consider State of Emergency

(I heard a rumor from the marines at the port. They say we have no ships left, that it’s a hopeless war…)

Consider Takatoshi Hijiyama

(He’s a year above me, but we’re the same age. We grew up in the same town together. He was such a mess. Seems like he’s shaped up, though. He’s found a certain dignity ever since he enlisted.)

No.

Don’t let your nerves get to you again. You’ll get to fight for your country before your peers. That’s an honor and a privilege.

One look at it, and you’ll know this war is ours.
At what, exactly?
*looks around cautiously*

…we have a secret weapon. Our own key to victory. You’ll see it in the armory soon enough.

Because… We’ve been chosen as pilot cadets for that very weapon. But keep it quiet. Maximum-level security. Not even your family can know.
…Understood.

So don’t worry too much.

Consider New Weapon

(A secret weapon powerful enough to win the war? And out of all the potential pilots across Japan… They chose me. What can I do? Will I be any help at all?)

Use New Weapon on Takatoshi Hijiyama

We’ve been calling it a Sentinel. A heavily-armored craft that requires a pilot to operate. It’ll help us gun down the enemy at our shores.
So the Americans really are coming for us…
We’ve been forced to abandon many of our posts overseas. At this rate, we’ll have to end this on the mainland. Our homeland’s future is in the hands of this Sentinel. But they’re good hands. A single Sentinel rivals aircraft carriers in terms of power. No… it could outmatch an entire military on its own. Whatever they’ve got, we’ll keep our homeland safe.

……

I didn’t think anyone else would come here.
I’ll see who it is.

Wait. Tamao… Kurabe?

So this is where you’ve been hiding!

Music: Halcyon Days (Yoshimi Kudo)

Hey, Tamao-san. What brings you here?

And when I heard you were back, too… I had to come!

Maybe you and Takatoshi-san can share them?

The rations don’t give us that much sugar. I’m afraid they won’t be very sweet…
I’m sure they’ll be delicious. Thank you.

Yes, I invited her along…
Pardon me, but… Have we met?

But he’s asking about you, Kiriko-chan!
……

I am… Takatoshi Hijiyama. Pleased to meet you… Wait… Douji? Any relation to professor Heizou Douji?

N-No, far from it!

Consider Professor Douji

(I’ve heard about Kiriko-san’s father. They say he’s a remarkable teacher. Though I didn’t realize he was a professor.)

We do, yes.

This poor bi idiot.

If he’s at the armory, that can only mean—
That’s enough, Keitaro. His involvement with the new weapon is highly confidential.
……
I-I mean—drat it!
*giggle*
Don’t worry, we won’t tell… You’re pretty funny.

He’ll be working alongside me. The armory’s not too far from here. However, it may be some time until he’s back.

You and the Kurabes have been nothing but kind to me. I can only give you my thanks, from the bottom of my heart. I’ll have to leave my little sister with you, so… Please, take care of her for me.
Don’t you worry about a thing, Keitaro-san.

And tell her I won’t be gone for long. The second I get time off, I’ll come visit.

We’d better get going.

Do take care, you two.

Music: Sneaking Suspicions (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Some kind of flash… Lightning, maybe? It came from around here, I think…

Consider Professor Douji

(Kiriko-san disappeared after that incident. And Professor Douji has gone silent ever since. It just doesn’t make sense…)

Consider State of Emergency

(Air raids have plagued several regions for months now. At this rate, the Americans will completely destroy Japan. We have to do something…)

Consider New Weapon

(Our new, top-secret military weapon, called a “Sentinel.” I’ve been selected as a cadet to pilot it.)

Maybe I saw a visiting god? …Not likely.

It’s already night. Chihiro’s probably worried about me…

I know you’re there.

Huh?

It’s dangerous to be out this late on your own. Allow me to escort you home.
Who are you?
My name is Keitaro Miura. I’m stationed at the armory nearby. But I’m off-duty now, so I was on my way home. So, ah… what’s your name?
…Natsuno. Um, Natsuno Minami.

Kind of a complicated answer, though…

Wait.

Music: The 13th Sense (Rikako Watanabe)

An air raid.

But that’s near where the Kurabes live…

It should be safe at this distance.
But what about you?
I have to go help.

What, seriously?

Why did you follow me!?
I don’t know!
Hmph… Fine, but just stay there. It’s clear here, but the flames are stronger up ahead.
You’re not going in, are you?
I have to. That house up ahead is where my sister’s staying.

How could they attack civilians like this?
…There’s a munitions factory in Higoromo-cho.

But that’s…

It’s completely gone. It must’ve been a direct hit…

Tamao-san!

Consider Stuffed Rabbit

(Our mother’s terrible at sewing, but she made this for Chihiro. I’d never seen her struggle with anything so hard, but she did it. It’s pieced together with scraps of cloth. Not the best quality. Even still… Chihiro took it with her wherever she went.)

Welp, this is looking grim. Might want to see about getting a new family there, chief.

Oh, okay. That was short-lived.

Where’s Tamao-san?

I know… But you’re alive, and that’s what matters.
We ran to the shelters as soon as we heard the sirens… But Chihiro-chan ran off alone. She said she was going back to the house.
‘Cause you were coming home. And if nobody was there to see you… you’d be really sad.

Ah, Natsuno-san.

“Tamao, this is a recent acquaintance of mine, Natsuno Minami. I found her hiding in the woods and she doesn’t have any pants.”

Music: KAIJU (Kazuki Higashihara)

What *is* that? Another American weapon?

We can’t stay here! Everyone, get moving!

Looks like it’s headed toward Kamazumi next.
Big brother…
Why are they showing up in this era…?

Not that I’ve seen. I’ve never even heard of weapons like this…

It’s almost as if they’re alive…

Use American Weapons on Tamao Kurabe

That thing has to be one of their weapons. …They’ve finally come for our homeland. And if we don’t stop them…
……

Please take care of Chihiro.

Stay with her, and do as you’re told, understand? Tamao-san… Can I ask you to look after Natsuno-san, too?
Huh?
What about you?
I’m going back to the armory.

Now go.

This is the day I’ve been training for. Against the Sentinel, they don’t stand a chance…

Natsuno…
I know, I’m on it.

And that’s Miura’s prologue. Rough, buddy.

Miura is voiced by Zach Aguilar, who is Koichi from Diamond is Unbreakable, Tanjiro from Demon Slayer, Genos in One Punch Man, and Male Byleth in Three Houses after the original VA got replaced for being a sex pest! He’s not my favorite VA or anything but this is a role that really plays to his strengths and gives him a lot to do. It’s one of his better performances in my opinion.

Voting time!

Iori Fuyusaka (28%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (25%)
Yuki Takamiya (14%)
Shu Amiguchi (28%)
Keitaro Miura (12%)
Destruction (23%)

There's also:

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 21, 2022

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Arist posted:

Voting time!

Iori Fuyusaka (28%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (25%)
Yuki Takamiya (14%)
Shu Amiguchi (28%)
Keitaro Miura (12%)
Destruction (23%)

There's also:

The poll is here.

Takatoshi is locked behind Ogata, but is Ogata not accessible yet at all, or did you just forget to put him in the options?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We have not unlocked Ogata yet.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Arist posted:

Wait, what

Honestly you could just make this the subtitle of the thread.

Anyway, far future space station aside, this segment fits pretty well with what we already know. Tamao is the name of Juro's grandmother, and she's a friend of Natsuno (see Juro Kurabe 2). Keitaro remarked that "this house is still standing" when he arrived at Juro's (same update), because he'd been there decades earlier. Chihiro is Ms. Morimura's first name (Iori Fuyusaka 2), so they're presumably the same person. So: Keitaro's sister Chihiro was raised by Tamao Kurabe, and she later took the surname Morimura for whatever reason. When she needed to give Juro Izumi a false identity, she set him up as Tamao's grandson, hence Juro Kurabe. Doesn't explain why any of this happened, but at least it fits together.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Took you guys this long to pick Megumi, huh? You must really not like her. Well, let’s see if we can change that.

Chapter 17: Megumi Yakushiji 2

OH GOD THE CAT’S FOUND US RUN WHILE YOU CAN

It’s your house, take a load off.

It’s not actually her house, cat. Wait, “cat”? God, now I’m doing it in this LP.

……
Ignoring me, huh? You must think you’re so cool. People notice you’re always alone, you know.

A real high maintenance girl, aren’t you? I was trying to say that you’re smart. Friends are pointless. They’ll all be toast once the end comes.

That line actually pisses Megumi off enough that she turns around automatically.

Let’s make some food.

What should I make for dinner?

Use Spatula on Kitchen

Time to cook some Hamburg steak.

Might as well feed the cat while we’re at it.

Come on, a little closer…
…… So annoying…

This will do.

Heh heh. Be honest. You know you like me.

Chasing me around with that dumb look on your face.
Th-That’s not true!

Uhhhhhhhh

Don’t go all gooey on the inside now. Come on, you can tell me. What was it like? Shooting that pale, arrogant prick… It felt great, didn’t it?

Consider Renya Gouto

(My first task after agreeing to the contract. The first witch I sealed… I wonder what happens to them.)

*If* you’re ready, that is…

But actually pointing a gun at someone is just…

Oh, okay then. Much better.

Or would you rather it be a magical kitchen knife?
I… don’t want that.
You extinguish the evil in the person you shoot. If they could, they’d thank you for saving them.
Still…
Ready or not, here he comes!

What do you need?
Um… W-Well…

You didn’t need to call me out here to do that. Why didn’t you just come to the hangar?
I, um, don’t really like looking at that robot too much…
I see.

But it has yet to be found. If you got in the Sentinel right now… You’d likely end up int the same state as Juro.

You don’t say…

Use Magical Gun on Renya Gouto

(I can’t just shoot someone…)

Yes you can! Coward!

Megumi decided to chicken out, it seems. Let’s just leave, then.

……
Just shoot him already! Idiot…

And if you don’t?
Then we fight with the Sentinels as they are.
We couldn’t possibly win like that.
Maybe so, but we cannot do nothing.

MEGUMI ANGY

Use Magical Gun on Renya Gouto

(I won’t let him hurt Juro again.)

Watch out, fool! Megumi’s got a piece!

Music: A Clause With Claws (Rikako Watanabe)

What have I done?
You shot him in the arm. That’ll do.

Yeah, yeah. He’ll just be a little loopy.
How am I supposed to face him after this?
It’s called a Magical Gun for a reason, numbnuts. His memories of before and after being shot will be all fuzzy. He won’t even remember coming to meet you. Well, we should probably make ourselves scarce now.

Use Renya Gouto on Fluffy

What *I* asked you to do? You shot him in the arm, from point blank range. I didn’t ask you to pull off a stunt like that.
But as long as it was on some part of his body… It shouldn’t matter where I hit him, right?
Maybe I chose the wrong person. This one’s got no sense of ownership. Your future’s lookin’ pretty bleak, kid.

We have a contract. Do I need to say it slowly for you? I’ll grant your wish… And in exchange… You shoot the witches I tell you to. That was the deal. All you gotta do is shoot them. I don’t care where. But if you fail… Our contract is broken.
……
Shouldn’t you have already made up your mind about this?
…Yes. I have.

That reminds me…

It’s still in your bag, right? Well, go on then. Let’s see the Magical Gun.

Really appreciate how it’s a Proper Noun.

Use Magical Gun on Fluffy

This is so dumb and I love it

You never know when you might need to use this. So always make sure it’s loaded.
You keep calling this thing magical… So why does it have to be a gun?
What does it matter?

What, you wanna put on a frilly pink skirt… And wave around your magic stick like some idiot? *chuckle*
All right, you made your point.
It’s for you to shoot witches. That’s why it’s a gun.

Well, time’s up. We’ll discuss the next witch tomorrow. Meet me at school. *flees*

Oh, that’s just the cat food.

*blushing* N-No. I won’t fall for that again. You can only stay here the rest of this month.
Yes, of course. But I did already make this, so… It would be a shame to waste it.
…… Well, I wouldn’t want all this to be thrown away. Fine. I’ll eat.
Thank you.

It’s also possible to not have made dinner before Juro arrives, which gets you a different version of that bit at the end. Let’s check it out:

It’s fine. Don’t worry about it.
But you can’t just skip dinner.

You’re still growing. If ramen’s all you eat… You won’t get the kind of nutrition you need.
Just leave me alone.

Wow, Juro’s kind of an rear end in a top hat, huh?

Movie’s still not on. More extra innings…

Poor Megumi…

There’s more to this event, but it’s a really long one so I’ve split it in half. We’ll be seeing the rest next time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 21, 2022

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fluffy is such an rear end in a top hat. I love him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Fluffy is wonderful in so many ways, starting from the immaculate voice acting.

He’s like if Grimoire Weiss was even more patronizing.

Without question my favorite character in the game, even.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 19, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I suppose if you accept time travel then you might be a bit more accepting of a talking cat that gives you a 'magical' gun.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 18: Megumi Yakushiji 2.5

Music: BUDDIES (Azusa Chiba)

Oh, hey Fluffy. Who do we kill maim seal today?

Are you ignoring me because of yesterday?

Someone might overhear.

That’s why we’ve been leaving at different times. Meeting like this defeats the purpose.
Should we start going together then?
*sigh* You’re missing the point. Oh…

*yawn* Morning.
What are you listening to?
Just brushing up on my English conversations.
Wow…
I’m obviously kidding. I’m jamming to rock, of course.

Man, this really is the ‘80s. Such dated turns of phrase.

Oh. Well, your grades are always so good. It seemed believable.
*laughs* Ya think so?
I was wondering. Can I come over today?
Sure, why not.
Great.
Oh, right. Gonna swing by the vending machines before class starts.
Okay. I’ll see you after school.

Was there something else we were supposed to do right now? …Nah, let’s just head inside.

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Iori runs over to the left and calls over Juro to follow her. I have no idea why she does this.

Oh yeah… I didn’t know you were into action movies. That one was a masterpiece. Pretty awesome…
Lucky you.
That series is really cool. It featured all kinds of different kaiju. If you love movies that much… You should check out this drama series.
What’s it about?
You’ve never seen it before? You’re so interesting, Fuyusaka-san.

(……)

I can’t believe Juro is cheating on Megumi! This will not stand! Go confront him!

Oh, Yakushiji.
So, you and that girl… Looks like you two are pretty close.
Wh-What are you talking about? More importantly, *why* are you talking to me? We’d get expelled if they knew we were living together. That’s why we decided not to talk to each other at school.
……

With that, Juro literally runs away. That boy ain’t right.

From the old building, you know? That place is freakin’ scary at night.
It’s all dark and totally deserted. I heard some shady people hang out there now.

Just walk right on by like you can’t see me.

And, oh, I don’t know, actually *tell* them what their plans are.

Oh, right. We were supposed to get our new mission from Fluffy today. Oops.

……

I’m going to be staking out the witch tomorrow. So when school is over, hurry your dumb human legs… And get to the passageway outside the old building.

…… When school is over, hurry to the old building passageway.
Oh yeah, and how about next time you address me… Show a little respect and use “sir”.

Piss off, cat!

Use Kitchen Knife on Kitchen

I’ll grill some mackerel. Oh, and simmer some taro!

It’s like you’re more cat than I am.

Ah, hell. He’s coming. All right, listen up. I’ll be waiting for you after school. You better not forget! *flees*

From there, the scene proceeds identically to the previous night.

Music: BUDDIES (Azusa Chiba)

Once Shu and Juro head inside after their conversation, we can talk to Fluffy and reconfirm our mission.

After school. Old building passageway. Got that?

I have to go. Fluffy’s waiting for me…

Here kitty, kitty…

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

And is wearing a school uniform with no buttons.

Uh huh. Now, there *could* be one small hiccup…

That seems like a pretty big hiccup to me!
Well, in case you’ve never been shot before, it hurts. So…
……

How badly would it hurt… If I were to be shot? ……

Would Juro even cry for me?

Maybe he made a mistake…

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

You’re not sneaking up on anyone that way.

You’re from Sector 3.
You’re from back then… So you’re the one. You’re one of Juro’s friends.
What are you doing here?
It doesn’t concern you.

Blatant lie!

I don’t think this was your idea. Who are you being used by?
I’m fine with being used.

I’ll do whatever I have to.

Megumi picks up the Magical Gun.

And Ei just… lets her leave.

The last place the Sentinel was seen… It should be somewhere nearby.

Music: Power Of Destruction (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

But where’s Juro? Juro, where are you? He couldn’t possibly… Still be in there?

The all-too-familiar teleportation aura fades in. Better get outta there before you get Timecop’d, Megumi.

*crying* I’m so glad… You’re still alive…
I’m sorry. I couldn’t protect your city.
Shh. It doesn’t matter… I was so worried about you.
……
Right! I’ll go find help.

They have to still be here somewhere… That’s what you said. I just have to find them.

Juro?
Wait…

Music: Self Sacrifice (Yoshimi Kudo)

Please, don’t go…

You’re hurt. We need to get help.
I need you… To stay… Please…
……

I can’t… See your face…
Why… Why did you get in that Sentinel? You knew this is what would happen.
I wanted to protect… What was important to you… I wanted to… Protect… you…

*crying*

Hi, BJ! If that is BJ, of course. Could always just be an identical robit.

Unbelievable…

The moment you enter the Sentinel… You inflict irreversible damage to your brain. Your memory is destroyed, and worst case, you become a husk.

Just being inside for a few minutes can be fatal. Izumi endured that pain. He fought in there for over 2 hours. He displayed incredible strength. But… You understand, don’t you? It’s too late for him.

There was a time I fought alongside him.
So you’re one of his comrades. And yet, you won’t even try. Please, there must be something you can do…
Izumi was a dependable and true ally. I will mourn this loss as well.
*crying*

So, Megumi is now locked. Well, sort of. We actually have exactly enough Mystery Points at the moment to unlock the files to make this scene available, I just haven’t done it yet. I’ll put her on the voting list as if there isn’t a lock here.

Anyway, if you don’t forget to talk to Fluffy after Juro and Shu’s conversation outside, here is what happens:

Instead of some crazy person… Who thinks cats give a crap about what she has to say.
Anyways… So?
I haven’t spotted the witch yet. I’ll keep a lookout. Meet me after school. In the passageway outside the old building.

That’s it.

Juro Kurabe
Iori Fuyusaka
Megumi Yakushiji
Natsuno Minami
Yuki Takamiya
Shu Amiguchi
Keitaro Miura
Destruction

There's also:

Takatoshi Hijiyama (Locked behind Ogata)
Ei Sekigahara (Locked behind Natsuno)

As you’ll notice, I’ve stopped posting the completion percentages next to the options, because I realized it was probably just going to lead us to just keeping everyone about even in terms of progress. That’s a fine way to play, but I don’t want it to be the only consideration.

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 21, 2022

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Interesting. There was an earlier mention of Megumi shooting someone, here:

Arist posted:

Tomi… Why are you…?
What are you so surprised about? This is my Sentinel, isn’t it? Seriously, Megumi. I wish you’d just told me.
I have to apologize… If it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t be—
Look, there’s only one thing I want an apology for. I got that switch ‘cause you shot me, right?

What!?

‘Cause like… did you *have* to put it on my back? I’m gonna give myself a cramp swiping that thing. But you gotta fall back, Megumi. Your Sentinel’s at its limit. I’ll handle this.

Tomi is presumably referring to the switch used to summon a Sentinel, as demonstrated by Megumi in the same update and Iori at the very beginning of the game. Maybe the Magical Gun actually enables its target to summon a Sentinel? And Fluffy is distributing this ability to various people in order to prepare for the Deimos invasion?

Arist posted:

Oh yeah… I didn’t know you were into action movies. That one was a masterpiece. Pretty awesome…

I can't quite follow the conversation here. Is there a line missing?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There is not a line missing there. The flow of that conversation is, Megumi notices Juro, Iori exits the classroom and intercepts him before Megumi walks up, then runs over into the shade to continue the conversation in "private" for some reason(?). Then, Iori's first line is "You just mentioned it," alluding to some previous conversation between the two of them I guess. Juro's dialogue after that is just talking about the movie they would have been discussing, but that's legitimately all the dialogue in that interaction. If it's somehow confusing I can edit in a clarification.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Thanks for the explanation. I think it was mostly the first two images that confused me. I didn't understand that Iori walked down the hallway after her first line, so it looked like the second image should be the start of the conversation. It might be a good idea to note Iori's movement between those two images. The line "You just mentioned it" feels awkward as a conversation opener (that's why I thought there was a line missing, so that "it" would refer to something Juro just talked about), but that's just a minor translation issue, I guess.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like your commentary is being a little harsh to Juro here. I mean, yeah, he's not exactly welcoming, but from his perspective she's basically a stalker who tricked her way into his house. He'll tolerate her as long as he has no choice, but I think he's understandably very creeped out by how she acts around him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, I'm just trying to see things through Megumi's perspective since we're controlling her. Also, it's funnier.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Welp, this game's been a mind gently caress and a half to the point that you'd need to be as sleep deprived, a string chart and high as Charlie from It's Always Sunny trying to find out who's connected to what.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look at that fuckin’ delinquent crouch. Yuki rules.

Chapter 19: Yuki Takamiya 2

Yuki stands alone on the roof, drinking some apple juice.

What to do…

Somewhere offscreen, the door to the roof opens and closes.

I’ve been looking for you.

Don’t you have anything better to do?

I will do my best to assist you in solving mysteries. How would you like to start?

Oh man, this story just got a million times better. Delinquent & Nerd: Crime Busters!

Consider Erika Aiba

I met Aiba while I was trying to find out more about Nat-chan. Seems she likes me. Follows me around like a drat puppy dog. Even my steeliest glare doesn’t faze her. Frickin’ weirdo.

Use Hey-C on Erika Aiba

Pft. You wish.

…… Just been antsy without my cigarettes.

Been keeping this place all to yourself, huh?

Hehe! I love mystery novels. I’ve always wanted to be a detective too.
*annoyed sigh*

Yes, of course. I am merely your capable assistant.
*annoyed grunt*
Well, at least I’ll try to be!

Drink Hey-C

First, I need to look into getting my fill of this delicious sugary beverage.

(Can’t go wrong with apple juice. Me and Nat-chan used to drink it all the time when we were kids.)

And Yuki drinks the last of it, vanishing the apple juice from our Thought Cloud.

Use Natsuno Minami on Erika Aiba

She isn’t sick, contrary to what her teacher says. And she didn’t run away, contrary to the rumor that’s been going around. It seems likely that she was involved in something much more sinister.

See that piece of paper on the ground? When we move near it, it will roll off to the left.

Wonder which girl this belongs to.

Maybe he’s not just a dumb pretty boy after all. Then again, he did ball this up and leave it on the ground. Yup. Still an idiot.

This thought is actually old, so there’s no point in Considering it.

Let’s move on, then.

Mmm… The word has such a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

The one tied to the fence on the roof?
I wonder whose it is.
You think it’s some sort of sign to her lover?
Oooh…

Let’s grill some students about Natsuno.

Use Special Investigations Unit on Class 1-C Student

(She was… She’s a name on the list in four-eyes’ file. Her name… It was Yakushiji. She’s pretty dull, actually.)

Use Natsuno Minami on Megumi Yakushiji

Seems like it.
Did you notice anything strange about her? Before she started taking days off, I mean.
Well, I haven’t really thought about it. But now that you mention it… I noticed she was always hurrying to the track room at break. Even during class… She seemed to always be a bit anxious.
The track room, huh…

Consider Track and Field Room

(She was in the track room even during break. What was Nat-chan doing?)

Use Natsuno Minami on Megumi Yakushiji

About Natsuno Minami?
Hmm… I did see her fervently scribbling something in her notebook. And it didn’t seem like it was just notes on the lecture.
Hm…

Consider The Notebook

My third favorite Ryan Gosling mov—ow! Eh, I deserved that.

(Nat-chan was writing things in this notebook. Things that had nothing to do with her classes. Could it have something to do with her disappearance?)

Let’s move on to some other students.

I got some things to ask you.

I mean, the way you’re dressed…

Oooh, are you like, hiding a razor in your skirt right now?
O-Of course not!
This is the first time I’ve seen one in real life… Wow.

Use Special Investigations Unit on Nat-chan’s Friend

No…

(She’s a name on the list in four-eyes’ file. Iori… Fuyusaka. And the one next to her, in the red glasses… Her too. Tomi… Kisaragi, I think?

Use Natsuno Minami on Iori Fuyusaka

You’ve been going to Natsuno Minami’s house, yeah? Any news since?
*shakes head*
Oh…

The primary suspect. I am certain… Their intentions were not pure!

I’m a second-year. And *captain* of the track team. Did you need something?

Use Natsuno Minami on Captain

She’s skipped out on our last few training sessions. But I guess she’s out sick?
Did she look sick to you?
She looked fine to me. (to other student) Right?
Yep, I thought so too.

Use Natsuno Minami on Manager

That’s when Minami-san started skipping training. And school too, I guess.
What incident?

Maybe it’s unrelated, but…

Consider North Building Fire

(Right around the time of that fire… Nat-chan started skipping her training sessions for track. Could it be related?)

Use North Building Fire on Manager

Yeah. I heard an explosion started it.
Really? I heard it was arson.

Over on the left, we can find another track member to question.

Yes…

Did you notice anything strange about her? Besides her being absent from school.
Well, depends what you define as strange, but… Natsuno did stop coming to training. But I’d still see her in the locker room.
Doing what?
It seemed like she was there to get something.
Something like…?
Some kinda UFO-looking thing? I don’t know exactly. It just looked like a box when it was in her bag.
A box in the locker room, huh?
Yeah.

Consider The Box

My third least-favorite Frank Langella mov—ow! I’ll stop! I’ll stop!

(Something that the girl on the track team mentioned… She said Nat-chan went into the locker room to get a box. And described it as some kind of UFO gadget. Hmm…)

Use North Building Fire on Track Member

No.

Use North Building Fire on Erika Aiba

No, I’m sorry. I don’t know anything.

Let’s head back to the hallway for now.

As we walk down the hallway, we notice Nenji Ogata sigh, then turn around and walk away.

Let’s follow him. He might know something, after all.

*gasp*

…To associate with hoodlums.

It’s a public roof, ain’t it?

Just checking if my handkerchief was dry yet.
That handkerchief was yours?

(cracking up) I thought it was a girl’s.

Oh, not me. Never.

Use Natsuno Minami on Nenji Ogata

What are you getting embarrassed for? You’ve called her that since you were kids, right?
Right. So, Nat-chan. You know she’s gone missing?
…Yeah. I do know. I suspect the black suits have something to do with that.

I saw Minami being chased by them one time.

And then they punched you out. But I guess that part isn’t worth leaving in, I get it.

You what?

(drat four-eyes never mentioned that little detail…)

I guess he’s been looking for her too.

But it’s getting complicated. I can’t keep up.

I FEEL YOU, BRO

(The agent on Nat-chan’s case… Shinonome. Do I have to ask her for help after all? I mean, she is pretty messed up too. ……)

Use North Building Fire on Nenji Ogata

I *also* heard… That it was caused by a certain cigarette-smoking delinquent.

It’s not nice to tell lies, Yuki. Apologize.

You tryin’ to accuse me of something? First of all, I don’t smoke. Second of all, the fire was in the girl’s bathroom.

It seems like Yuki fits this imaginary profile more than Nenji does, hmmm…

And, rumor has it… It wasn’t even really a fire.

Consider Girls’ Bathroom

Something happened in the girls’ bathroom of the north building.

Ace Detective Yuki Takamiya is on the case!

Use Girls’ Bathroom on Erika Aiba

Let’s go to that girls’ bathroom in the north building.
Certainly.

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

The name of this track is so stupid, I love it

There’s no way all this was from a fire.

Ooh, we’ll get in so much trouble if they find us!
What is wrong with you?
It just feels like we’re actual detectives now!

I deduce that the perpetrator was… Someone with an extreme hatred for girls’ bathrooms!
……

Seems more like a bear went on a rampage.

They’re carved pretty deep in there.

……Our suspect is… A maintenance lady built like a bear. What do you think?
……

In mystery novels, the perpetrator’s name is always written somewhere in blood.
Yeah, when there’s a dead body nearby. You really are strange.

God, I love this idiot.

This can’t have been the work of just one person.

They’re red. Probably belong to a girl.

Use Red Glasses on Erika Aiba

Who do you think these glasses belong to?
Well, the glasses are broken, so they won’t be wearing them anymore. Do you remember anyone wearing a pair like that?
Now that I think about it… Yeah. I do remember someone. Nat-chan’s friend, in Class 1-B…

Consider Tomi Kisaragi

(Tomi Kisaragi… I think I saw her in the class 1 hallway just now… I gotta find her.)

She’s gotta be nearby.

I can’t keep up.

Not here either…

Target acquired.

…Yeah?

Use Girls’ Bathroom on Tomi Kisaragi

What happened there?
Oh, what’s with all the questions anyways?
I know you were there.
Are you talking about what happened in the north building? I had nothing to do with it. Why would I go all the way there to use the bathroom anyways?
……

Use Red Glasses on Tomi Kisaragi

What’s this all about?

Well, they do look the same as mine. But, you probably noticed. I’m wearing mine right now. So obviously they can’t be mine.
…….

And you’re the only one in this whole drat school… that wears glasses as distinctive as these.
So you’re blaming me? What could I possibly gain from setting a toilet on fire?

You’re not messing with me, are you?

The day of the incident…

Miwako? What the hell?
But I really did see you there.

No Miwako, don’t snitch!

Wait, what?

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

Miwako.
Aren’t you supposed to be at training? Where are you off to in such a hurry?
Where isn’t really the—

Sorry, Miwako!

Did you hurt yourself?
……

That’s not like Usami-chan…

Seriously, Miwako!?
(on the verge of tears) But… I…

Now, Miwako, you shouldn’t be snitching. But I’m very disappointed in you as well, Tomi. How rude, ignoring Miwako like that!

Iori-chan! So I was saying…

No, it’s true. I really did see them!
That’s the day we were waiting for you outside. And Usami-chan was with me the whole time. At the front gate, remember?

That’s right…

Consider Tomi Kisaragi

(So two Tomi Kisaragis… What the hell’s going on?)

How did Natsuno Minami look?

She was in a hurry… She had her bag… Oh, yeah!

I saw another girl. But she was covered in dust. It was really weird. And now that I think about it… She was coming from where the bathroom was!
Who was it?
Hmm, well she looked mild-mannered. And I know I’ve seen her face around here before. But I don’t know which year or class.

Consider Tomi Kisaragi

What a mystery! Well, that was exciting, I tell you what.

We’ve also unlocked Tomi’s story now!

Our current options are:

Juro Kurabe
Iori Fuyusaka
Megumi Yakushiji
Natsuno Minami
Yuki Takamiya
Shu Amiguchi
Keitaro Miura
Tomi Kisaragi
Destruction

There's also:

Takatoshi Hijiyama (Locked behind Ogata)
Ei Sekigahara (Locked behind Natsuno)

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 21, 2022

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Tomi is, in my opinion, one of Cassandra Lee Morris's best roles. She's really good at sarcastic characters but Tomi just sounds a lot more natural and authentic than, say, Morgana.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The English voice cast in general is very good. Especially since this was recorded during the pandemic in people's home studios.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This is one of those games where you're probably doing yourself a disservice if you don't listen to the English voices, assuming you don't speak Japanese, because literally everyone nails their roles.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The fun thing for me is that if you wait too long in between doing Keitaro Miura and Yuki Takamiya's chapters, you can totally forget that Erika Aiba looks just like Tamao Kurabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

It’s a small thing, but something cool I like about destruction mode:

In most tactical RPGs, you choose your action, execute it, and then a big elaborate animation plays out as you get feedback on damage output. And this is Vanillaware, they’re all about big elaborate animations, so of course they gotta have them.
However, this is a Real Time Tactics game (RTS is a stretch) where having a big elaborate animation play is going break up the flow of the combat, plus they’re dedicated to the aesthetics of the “Tactical Mode” screen. So I thought it was brilliant of them to put those big elaborate animations in the attack menu, framed as (soundless) previews of what will happen. Not only does this let you see the railgun charge up and fire a massive air-shattering salvo, it builds up anticipation for the payoff of the sound design when it actually does fires off.

In general, the sound design in this game is excellent. The sounds of robot punches and missiles exploding, the UI sfx, and the synthetic tinge of the sentinels announcing poo poo like “Enemy entering threat range.” Thought cloud keywords are also voiced and filtered to make them sound “internal,” and something fun you can do is give yourself an internal monologue while someone else is trying to talk to you, though they (and the music) will be slightly muffled since you’re thinking about something else.

Like, drat the scifi SFX go hard. Just listen to everything going on in the first 35 seconds of booting up the game.

https://twitter.com/ooshiningsunoo/status/1333123650153705472?s=21