Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

You could always learn Greek :sun:

yeah next time I have a thousand spare hours I'll definitely spend it on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah next time I have a thousand spare hours I'll definitely spend it on that

For a more serious answer, the Oxford Classics edition is another good option if you can't get ahold of the Landmark edition. I don't have their version of the Anabasis, but their other works are always good. Their version also includes the Indica, which I don't think the Landmark edition does.

https://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Great-Anabasis-Indica-Classics/dp/0199587248

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Ah the movie did the Gondorian countryside dirty, the Pelennor was described as heavily cultivated in the books, which entirely makes sense because you need a ton of farmland around any city to feed it with bread and chickens and cherry tomatoes for Denethor to messily crunch in his mouth. But even the books were rather sparse with details of rural economies outside of the Shire.

I think that's because modern farmers are more annoyed at people filming stomping around in their fields than shepards, and modern wheat fields might have more details that are harder to edit out.

Although there could be some kind of grand opinion of what pastoral beauty should be going on there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CrypticFox posted:

For a more serious answer, the Oxford Classics edition is another good option if you can't get ahold of the Landmark edition. I don't have their version of the Anabasis, but their other works are always good. Their version also includes the Indica, which I don't think the Landmark edition does.

https://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Great-Anabasis-Indica-Classics/dp/0199587248

Oh Landmark has just had it as "coming soon" on their website for years and I just looked it up and it's finally coming out this December. I'll just wait after all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that's because modern farmers are more annoyed at people filming stomping around in their fields than shepards, and modern wheat fields might have more details that are harder to edit out.

Although there could be some kind of grand opinion of what pastoral beauty should be going on there.
Contextually I imagine the fields of Gondor would have looked like southern France or Italy, maybe sort of Roman or Greek in the general outlines. The Pelennor might have been on the cooler end of Gondor's temperature gradient but it was near the sea.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's not that hard to get permission from farmers to film on theire land, and there was no lack of intensive cultivation at the shire. Instead Jackson made a deliberate decision to minimize how much agriculture, how much history was visible in the latter two films. It makes for some gorgeous sweeping shots but kind of goes against historicity, all in service of trying to emphasize the almost post-apocalyptic vibe of the third age, the old medieval world of the elves and Numenor was dying away.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SlothfulCobra posted:

That didn’t keep Jackson from showing maize fields in FotR. Shut up, potatoes and tobacco may be canon, but Tolkien never mentioned maize. :colbert:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah all those communities should have been exploding outwards with how much empty land there is. Kings struggling to keep everyone under control because they can just up and leave. Would be an interesting setting, but then you'd have to find an explanation for why this is happening only now.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah all those communities should have been exploding outwards with how much empty land there is. Kings struggling to keep everyone under control because they can just up and leave. Would be an interesting setting, but then you'd have to find an explanation for why this is happening only now.

no because the people who don't live in places where they are protected by high level characters get put on orc menus

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

That didn’t keep Jackson from showing maize fields in FotR. Shut up, potatoes and tobacco may be canon, but Tolkien never mentioned maize. :colbert:

Well....'pipeweed'. Which could be something other than tobacco :420:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

feedmegin posted:

In a 1966 interview, Tolkien said: "Every morning I wake up thinking, 'Good, another 24 hours of smoking'".

Charlotte and Denis Plimmer, "The Man Who Understands Hobbits", The Daily Telegraph Magazine (22 March 1968)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

In a 1966 interview, Tolkien said: "Every morning I wake up thinking, 'Good, another 24 hours of smoking'".

Charlotte and Denis Plimmer, "The Man Who Understands Hobbits", The Daily Telegraph Magazine (22 March 1968)

...which could STILL be something other than tobacco ;)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

feedmegin posted:

...which could STILL be something other than tobacco ;)

It’s tobacco

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

no it's westman's-weed

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Phobophilia posted:

It's not that hard to get permission from farmers to film on theire land, and there was no lack of intensive cultivation at the shire. Instead Jackson made a deliberate decision to minimize how much agriculture, how much history was visible in the latter two films. It makes for some gorgeous sweeping shots but kind of goes against historicity, all in service of trying to emphasize the almost post-apocalyptic vibe of the third age, the old medieval world of the elves and Numenor was dying away.

I think putting the big battle scene on a intensively-farmed landscape would have been too difficult for the CGI of the time, and too dangerous to do with practical effects (riding horses can be hazardous by itself, best to keep it simple on flat terrain), and way more expensive either way, even in the context of the LOTR budget.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

John “Ras Ronald” Tolkien

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a fatguy baldspot posted:

John “Ras Ronald” Tolkien

Jah Ras Reefer Toke-ien

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

feedmegin posted:

Nice, but the prologue explicitly says it was "a variety probably of Nicotiana."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

Nice, but the prologue explicitly says it was "a variety probably of Nicotiana."

Literally the next sentence calls it 'tobacco'

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh Landmark has just had it as "coming soon" on their website for years and I just looked it up and it's finally coming out this December. I'll just wait after all.

Are we talking about the same Anabasis? The Anabasis of Alexander by Arrian has a landmark version that has been released under the name "The Landmark Arrian." the forthcoming landmark work is Xenophon's Anabasis, which is a separate work not about Alexander.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CrypticFox posted:

Are we talking about the same Anabasis? The Anabasis of Alexander by Arrian has a landmark version that has been released under the name "The Landmark Arrian." the forthcoming landmark work is Xenophon's Anabasis, which is a separate work not about Alexander.

I was talking about Xenophon's, yeah. Thought it was clear from context.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

I was talking about Xenophon's, yeah. Thought it was clear from context.

Ah, I thought we were talking about Arrian since your first post was right after the conversation about Alexander's army. My bad.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kylaer posted:

I think putting the big battle scene on a intensively-farmed landscape would have been too difficult for the CGI of the time, and too dangerous to do with practical effects (riding horses can be hazardous by itself, best to keep it simple on flat terrain), and way more expensive either way, even in the context of the LOTR budget.

Oh fair enough about performing stunts around fields and hedgerows. But they could always have the land right around Minas Tirith be majority grassland, and have the Witch King's march down the road from the Anduin to Minas Tirith be past lots of burning farmland, that doesn't cost too much in sfx budget.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Is that a 420 blazer he's wearing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Eriador is supposed to be kind of a desolated wasteland when our characters are walking around it. The kingdoms there have been ravaged.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Cool thread

https://twitter.com/optimoprincipi/status/1361980297919803392?s=21

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

drat, all that hard work and he just dropped it overboard.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

skasion posted:

drat, all that hard work and he just dropped it overboard.

By law this obligated him another 26 years of service

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What age did they start ? 15?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pretty much the same as today, average was 20-ish.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Why was it 25 for army and 26 for navy?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

euphronius posted:

What age did they start ? 15?

Probably whenever they could convince the army they were a man. It’s not like there were birth certificates

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Nessus posted:

Why was it 25 for army and 26 for navy?

Cause navy is chiller? you even get to sit down when rowing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nuclear War posted:

Cause navy is chiller? you even get to sit down when rowing

In the mediterranean during the pax romana your biggest enemy is probably gravity while drunk and also the clap

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Honestly you were probably more likely to die in the navy. I have no idea why there's a difference.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The answer is simple, it's because navis longa

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Are there any statistics or educated guesses on the proportion of people that managed to do their 25 years and claim the citizenship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Fromage posted:

Honestly you were probably more likely to die in the navy. I have no idea why there's a difference.

they rarely operated in hostile territory during the imperial era lol, they basically always had served in a support role for the army and once they conquered the mediterranean they pretty much just patrolled for pirates and revenue, plus river logistics for the army

heck was there even an emperor who rose up through the navy specifically?