Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Do a dill hollandaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We're just going to order to go from a german place as a treat. Nothing says loving like sharing a schnitzel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We're just going to order to go from a german place as a treat. Nothing says loving like sharing a schnitzel.

Except for sharing a würst.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I think pork just replaced my go-to meat in a pasta meat sauce.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

pro starcraft loser posted:

I think pork just replaced my go-to meat in a pasta meat sauce.

What if I told you meat sauces can contain more than one kind of meat?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Meat is binary it is either meat or not-meat

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

nand xnor meat

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

Meat is binary it is either meat or not-meat

What about fuzzy logic applied to meat determination?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If the meat's fuzzy, you probably don't want to eat it buddy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So most of the recipes I see involving melted chocolate have you use a lipid (butter/shortening/etc). I absolutely want to avoid doing that if I'm tempering chocolate right? Or will it help somehow?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

To simplify to the extreme, chocolate is just cocoa solids, sugar, and cocoa butter. Given that, adding fat which is solid at room temperature and which doesn't contain water should be fine.

It's added to melted chocolate recipes to keep it flowing, so if your ultimate use is solid then there's no good purpose and it'll dilute the cocoa flavor.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Gotcha. End result will be (hopefully) solid, so we'll skip the shortening.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I made Caesar dressing tonight and needed to add an extra egg yolk and a bit more oil to tamp down my extra bit of lemon squeezed out beyond the recommended amount. sometimes more egg is needed

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For tempered chocolate I'd think you'd want to avoid non-cocoa fat. The magic of tempered chocolate comes from specific properties of cocoa fat. The tempering process basically encourages growth of the 5th crystal form of cocoa butter, and I'd imagine other fats could interfere with the formation of crystals, or make the crystal structure less uniform throughout the chocolate after cooling.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I normally avoid lifehacker's cooking content but I may actually do this one:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Do you lift it up real quick and just suck on the funnels dick?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you have a sous vide setup you can do easy mode tempering by using it to make cocoa butter "silk"

Chop up your cocoa butter and put it in a mason jar process it for 24 hrs at 92.5 f.
I pour mine when it's done into an old butter tub as a mold.

When you're ready to temper your chocolate melt it to 94 f and add 1% by weight of finely grated cocoa butter silk I use a microplane and stir it it should drop to 92 f and be ready to mold I hit it with an immersion blender to make sure it's all equally distributed the times I got lazy and didn't I've gotten streaking in the unmolded chocolates.

It eliminates having to heat up and cool down the chocolate to temper it.

More detailed info here:
https://chocolatealchemy.com/silk

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

I normally avoid lifehacker's cooking content but I may actually do this one:

I've never used one like that (filling up the funnel first) but I use a canning funnel all the loving time when I'm transferring stews and that kind of thing into another vessel with a ladle. It's also aces for when you're portioning leftovers into delitainers or whatever.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

All you folks with the fancy funnels. Just take one of the laminated lunch menus and roll it into a cone shape with a hole at the end!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 18, 2021

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
So I don't speak Spanish well, but after looking for (and finding) a great recipe for beef heart from this Youtube Chef from Peru, AbelCA https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLo4iFzYKSuI1FRbMJxQgNA I've been subscribing and watching a lot of his videos. One of the things he's used a couple times is this amazing looking corn - I know it's unlikely to be found up north, but has anyone seen this in the States, or know what it might be called? I could try to grow it, but 'really big knobby white corn' isn't an official cultivar. Doesn't look like anything I've seen in a seed catalog.

Also, shout out for his videos - if you know even basic kitchen spanish, most of it is pretty easy to sort out. Lots of interesting fish dishes, chicken including one where they used the semi-formed eggs from it's guts!?

Mysterious Corn Pic -

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I think that’s Giant White or Cuzco corn.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's for sale in dried form in all the latin markets I frequent, but I've never seen it fresh.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peruvian_corn?wprov=sfti1

Choclo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
In South Africa corn like that is quite common. It’s just called white corn. If you get it young when still tender it’s absolutely delicious but as it gets older the skin gets a lot tougher and the flesh starchy. It’s used for a staple maize porridge called mielie (corn) pap. I miss it... it’s often sold by street vendors.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Isn't the hominy canned corn they sell in the US usually the large white corn like that?

Also, Corn Nuts

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Isn't the hominy canned corn they sell in the US usually the large white corn like that?

Also, Corn Nuts

The lye soak is what makes hominy kernels expand to that size iirc

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

The lye soak is what makes hominy kernels expand to that size iirc

Yeah, hominy is just regular seed corn that expands due to the lye treatment. It's actually quite small when dried (barely larger than a popcorn kernel), but something happens to the starches that makes it swell up a lot more with water.

I've had a couple of pounds of dried hominy in the pantry for a while now. Maybe I'll get it out and make pozole or something this weekend.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Pozole roja is wonderful stuff. I made it for a big meal at the Ronald McDonald House once, and did the full spread of cut chilies, radishes, cilantro, cheese, etc. Had a Hispanic family staying there who were teaching other people to dress their pozole to taste. Made me happy... I had made a sign saying 'Pozole (Pork corn stew, a close cousin of Chili)' because Wisconsin, can't assume people will have seen it... Introduced an older lady there to enchiladas! Never had them...

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
we finally got around to getting some black cardamom and man this is probably my favorite spice, any particular dishes this is known to be used in?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bartolimu posted:

Yeah, hominy is just regular seed corn that expands due to the lye treatment. It's actually quite small when dried (barely larger than a popcorn kernel), but something happens to the starches that makes it swell up a lot more with water.

I've had a couple of pounds of dried hominy in the pantry for a while now. Maybe I'll get it out and make pozole or something this weekend.

pozole :slick:

I haven't had pozole in months.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

20 Blunts posted:

we finally got around to getting some black cardamom and man this is probably my favorite spice, any particular dishes this is known to be used in?

Cardamom is pretty good in pureed roasted vegetable soups like carrot or butternut

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Anything swedish

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Texas got hosed by ice and the grocery stores are getting back in shape, but absolutely nowhere stable enough to plan on ingredients being on the shelf. This shopping trip will be a good test of my ability to shop by my gut and make a good meal without a recipe to follow.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Texas got hosed by ice and the grocery stores are getting back in shape, but absolutely nowhere stable enough to plan on ingredients being on the shelf. This shopping trip will be a good test of my ability to shop by my gut and make a good meal without a recipe to follow.

This is interesting to me because I never make a shopping list and always just see what looks good or is on sale etc when I'm there. I assumed most people do the same but maybe I'm in the irresponsible minority.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

This is interesting to me because I never make a shopping list and always just see what looks good or is on sale etc when I'm there. I assumed most people do the same but maybe I'm in the irresponsible minority.

Nah, this is also my style and the next few days of quarantine is gonna be a challenge because I’ll have to pre-plan meals for grocery delivery if I don’t want to eat straight takeout for 3-4 days.

Totally getting lo mein as soon as I get home tho.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

therattle posted:

In South Africa corn like that is quite common. It’s just called white corn. If you get it young when still tender it’s absolutely delicious but as it gets older the skin gets a lot tougher and the flesh starchy. It’s used for a staple maize porridge called mielie (corn) pap. I miss it... it’s often sold by street vendors.

My wife had to go to eSwatini a year or so back and has me make pap every once in a while. She adored the food there and SA. She brought home a couple cook books, though some of the ingredients are (obviously) a bit difficult to source fresh in New England.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I came across the Netflix (?) adaptation of Fat, Salt Acid, Heat and saw she was saying there are different salts with different saltinesses, does anyone have enough experience to rate the saltiness of different brands? Or know of a place where they are rated? I always use Morton Iodized because it's seemingly the widest available in my area.

Edit: mild finishing salt sounds like something I need in my life. Also I need something dead sea salty for use in boiling pasta.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

um excuse me posted:

I came across the Netflix (?) adaptation of Fat, Salt Acid, Heat and saw she was saying there are different salts with different saltinesses, does anyone have enough experience to rate the saltiness of different brands? Or know of a place where they are rated? I always use Morton Iodized because it's seemingly the widest available in my area.

Edit: mild finishing salt sounds like something I need in my life. Also I need something dead sea salty for use in boiling pasta.

How, uh, granular do you want to get with your answer?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure in which direction you mean granular, but sticking with stuff common to super markets would be nice to have some consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

VelociBacon posted:

It might be irresponsible, but it also might be that you are fairly comfortalble with cooking and know that you will be able to make at least decent food with what's on sale. I never really plan my shopping, unless ì'm aiming to make something specific and it usually turns out fine.

I also just made ragu genovese for the first time, and it was a solid success. Really worth the time investment.