Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
In the late 90's/early aughts, the pro wrestling rumors and news website was big business. Some of the sites are still around, like WrestleZone.com, WrestlingRumors.net, Rajah.com. Of course there are guys like Dave Meltzer at the Wrestling Observer who have actual connections in the business as far as agents, wrestlers, executives, etc. but this was a different thing all together. These wrestling proto-blogs were all over the place, often hosted on subdomains like HyperStreet or VirtualAve, usually by people in their teens or twenties, so you had plenty of places like "wrestlingnewsroundup.virtualave.net" or something like that. Stealing "news" and "rumors" from each other, some stolen from the legit newsletters and reporters, some surely made out of whole cloth. The "reporters" would "work" for different sites using different names to avoid being detected. Like if part of Meltzer's newsletter leaked to one site, every other site would post it saying they had this breaking news first. Sites would merge and take a new domain, or there'd be a fight over which domain they would use, sites would rent out URLs and hosting - you too can have a powerbomb.com/yoursite address! It was serious business. There were people that specialized in designing forums and graphics for these wrestling sites, for a fee of course.

An acquaintance of mine ran one of those sites, and sold the domain in 2004 or 2005 for $75,000.

edit: the domain sits idle, no content, wrestling or otherwise.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Well that and copious amounts of bovine growth hormones.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Wrestling is the realest thing of all, goonfriend

*cue Its still real to me drat IT! video.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

In kayfabe, was Giant Gonzales' suit meant to be a bodysuit or are we supposed to believe it is his actual body

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CptAwesome posted:

In kayfabe, was Giant Gonzales' suit meant to be a bodysuit or are we supposed to believe it is his actual body

Neither. It was his tag team partner.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1362471118737612801

this is your daily dose of Rey Fenix

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
He never said that.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

frankenfreak posted:

He never said that.

https://twitter.com/JohnCena/status/1175749696578629633

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Imagine trying to be a heel and simultaneously being this amazing :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

wait are Rey and Lance and Jon supposed to be the heels in this feud

cause if they are I'm not good at watching wrestling

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

My Lovely Horse posted:

wait are Rey and Lance and Jon supposed to be the heels in this feud

cause if they are I'm not good at watching wrestling

Not really in this feud no, Rey has generally been a heel for most of his time in AEW and Mox cut a promo pointing out it was weird for him to be teaming with people from TRIANGULA DE LA MUERTE given they don't like him

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

CptAwesome posted:

Legit wondering that myself. In 1993 on a 22" low-def TV it might fool some people.

You can definitely see the rough edges better with modern tech. In Summer Slam 92 a "metal scroll" is later used as a weapon but in HD it appears to be cardboard wrapped in duct tape.

Fun Fact: Guy holding scroll is Macho Man's real life brother

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

drat that's impressive. I can't wait until the small high-flying guys start showing up in Raw. So few of them in 1993. I remember liking 1-2-3 Kid... And there's Koko... who who else doing acrobatics would be around pre-Attitude?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Eclipse12 posted:

drat that's impressive. I can't wait until the small high-flying guys start showing up in Raw. So few of them in 1993. I remember liking 1-2-3 Kid... And there's Koko... who who else doing acrobatics would be around pre-Attitude?

You'll have to start watching WCW Nitro for that. Ignore Hogan and his friends, marvel at a fantastic lightweight division.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/AEraSigns/status/1355775987561099265?s=19

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Very excited with how this thread has gone

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rarity posted:

Very excited with how this thread has gone

Wooooo!

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65OkA2HHLYA

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I just watched the AEW Maki Itoh vs. Ryo Mizunami match and it's loving hilarious. They both ham that poo poo up to the max.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A QUADRUPLE CANADIAN DESTROYER BAH GAWD THE HUMANITY

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BAH GAWD, HE BROKE HER IN HALF!

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

frankenfreak posted:

He never said that.

he said that you son of a bitch

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Are we doing JR commentary jazz now because it's one of my favorite things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlCRzZxAxVY&t=84s

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
oh ok

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
YOU KNOW THEY SAY ALL FORUMS ARE CREATED EQUAL. BUT YOU LOOK AT PSP AND YOU LOOK AT GBS AND YOU CAN SEE THAT STATEMENT IS NOT TRUE! SEE NORMALLY IF YOU GO 1 ON 1 WITH ANOTHER FORUM YOU GOT A 50/50 CHANCE OF WINNING! BUT I'M A DIGITAL FREAK AND I'M NOT NORMAL! SO YOU GOT A 25% AT BEST AT BEAT ME! AND THEN YOU ADD C-SPAM TO THE MIX, YOU THE CHANCES OF WINNING DRASTIC GO DOWN! SEE THE 3 WAY AT SACRIFICE YOU GOT A 33 1/3 CHANCE OF WINNING. BUT I, I GOT A 66 2/3 CHANCE OF WINNING CAUSE C-SPAM KNOWS HE CAN'T BEAT ME AND HE'S NOT EVEN GONNA TRY! SO GBS YOU TAKE YOUR 33 1/3 CHANCE MINUS MY 25% CHANCE AND YOU GOT 8 1/3 CHANCE OF WINNING AT SACRIFICE. BUT THEN YOU TAKE MY 75% CHANCE OF WINNING IF WE WAS TO GO 1 ON 1 AND THEN ADD 66 2/3 %. I GOT A 141 2/3 CHANCE OF WINNING AT SACRIFICE! GBS?THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE AND THEY SPELL DISASTER FOR YOU AT SACRIFICE!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bogus Adventure posted:

Wrestling is the realest thing of all, goonfriend

mystics like the rosicrucians referring to everything as "the great work" hits differently in carny

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Lol. Those were both great! A+ work

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

March 22, 1993

Aww yeah! First match has The Bushwackers! I got a good feeling about this episode! Oh man, team B-Dubs are hanging out in the audience! Everyone loves it and is going apeshit, swinging their arms, grabbing sweaty men, this is great. We're having a good ol' time here, yessir.

Tatanka beats the hell out of some guy. No, Vince, Reno Riggins absolutely could NOT be "headed to WrestleMania."

Also, weird tan lines around the undies, dude.

Andre the Giant is being put into the WWF Hall of Fame. Godspeed, Andre.

Ico Pro! It won't shrink your balls! Maybe!

Money Inc fight the two worst haircuts in wrestling, and that's saying something.

I'm no genius, but I'm starting to see a weird pattern here guys. I feel like all the wrestlers who will be fighting in the upcoming WrestleMania IX seem to win their Raw matches... hmm.... HMmmmm! What could it mean?!

Doink beats Kamala and I really don't like how often Kamala matches involve him being feeble minded. >:[

There's a poor taste Rob Bartlett "fan club" segment but I hate Rob Bartlett so no picture.

Weirdly short 36m episode. Something must got edited out. Oh well, that's another one in the books!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
ZSJ is a forever mood

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/1155483746398683141

Context: Zack has just been eliminated from the G1 Climax, the most prestigious and grueling tournament in wrestling, while back in the UK Boris Johnson has just won the Tory leadership race

Rarity fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 20, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

StarkRavingMad posted:

And the 24 Sai:

Ibushi has an unbreakable neck and so he doesn't care about yours

I've watched a bunch of AJPW and NJPW in my time, so I'm not a stranger to selling with your neck, but even with that in mind ... HOW IS THIS MAN NOT CRIPPLED FOR LIFE?!

On those lines, this is one of my favourite matches of all time. Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYVtaBIVPw

It is remarkable, because at 12:51 Kawada BREAKS HIS loving ARM with a roundhouse chop. His reaction? He kinda looks at it, goes "huh, so that's broken" and then goes on to wrestle a five star classic.

Of course, because his arm is broken, he couldn't lift Misawa up for the powerbomb finish at the end of the match, and instead just kind of powerbomb tombstones him head first into the canvas. This being Japan, the move (known as a Ganso Bomb or Kawada Driver) became his finisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzhnSjCAmhE

Kawada also has one of the best entrance themes of all time, HOLY WAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1uf9rHgIjs

In conclusion, Toshiaki Kawada owns.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 20, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wrestling is my favorite form of dinner theater and proves that humans have always loved weird comedic interludes that turn into brutality. Modern wrestling just wisely realized it is unnecessary to have the clown character sing before entering the ring against a tag team of men who think he cucked them when it was actually don andre el gigante

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 20, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rarity posted:

ZSJ is a forever mood

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/1155483746398683141

Context: Zack has just been eliminated from the G1 Climax, the most prestigious and grueling tournament in wrestling, while back in the UK Boris Johnson has just won the Tory leadership race

He fights with his brain and an underlying hatred of the British Conservative Party :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hi everyone please let me introduce you to my friend Adam Page

Adam is an anxious millenial cowboy

When AEW started he was in a group called the Elite along with the best singles wrestler in the world, the best tag team in the world and the son of the legendary Dusty Rhodes. Needless to say he has not handled this well

Adam has a major inferiority and imposter complex. Despite being one half of the longest reigining tag team champions in the company nothing he does will ever be good enough. He has gone on record as saying that every part of him in poison. He lashes out at others when he gets hurt by his own securities and he self-sabotages every healthy friendship in his life. He has a major drinking problem.

The saddest part is that Adam is so blinded by his own issues that he can't recognise that he is just as good as any of his friends

Please give my friend Adam a hug :smith:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Animal-Mother posted:

mystics like the rosicrucians referring to everything as "the great work" hits differently in carny
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Incoming BIG WrestleMania IX post [maybe tomorrow]

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 21, 2021