Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Samurai Warriors 5 was just announced for a summer release for the Switch. This was at the Nintendo Direct, so no confirmation on other consoles but it'd be shocking if it's not also on PS4 and/or PS5.

The site is up saying it is also for PS4, XBone, and Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Fur20 posted:

bishounen nobunaga is something i never knew i wanted, but now dont understand how it hasn't happened sooner between mitsuhide akechi and ranmaru mori's designs

Isn't that his Kessen design? It's been a LONG time since we've seen that.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm very dumb and haven't played a SW in a long time, which 3 people are supposed to be in that image?
Well they're redesigns. But Nobunaga, Akechi Mitsuhide, and probably No

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm very dumb and haven't played a SW in a long time, which 3 people are supposed to be in that image?

Hot Nobunaga in the Middle
Top Knot Mitsuhide Akechi on the Left is my guess.
Archer No on the right. That, or this is a new character entirely, since that's definitely not Ina?

Archer No suggests this is basically a reboot ala Dynasty Warriors 6 sooo... It might end up polarizing as gently caress. An aging element might be there as well, but it seems odd since there's no real 'age' thing that would make you switch from a bow to claws/bombs/whatever it is she does.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The butterfly hairpiece is a pretty good indicator that it's No, which is real sad because the claws & bombs were way more interesting than a bow. So was Nobunaga's old sword.

...Man, SW5 is gonna suck, isn't it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So has Nobunaga been getting an image rehab lately or something? No more of that demon king stuff?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nobunaga always goes back and forth in culture. He's a real drat polarizing figure so it makes sense his media portrayal is always so... Extreme.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Persona 5 Strikers comes out tomorrow, kinda snuck up on me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Persona 5 Strikers comes out tomorrow, kinda snuck up on me

PC users have to wait another week until 2/23 unfortunately but I'm looking forward to it. From the reviews it sounds more like "Persona 5, but with small musou battles instead of turn-based fights" more than "A musou game, but with Persona 5 characters" but I loved P5 so I'm hyped for that. Looks like it really nails the aesthetic and stylishness of that game, too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ainsley McTree posted:

PC users have to wait another week until 2/23 unfortunately but I'm looking forward to it. From the reviews it sounds more like "Persona 5, but with small musou battles instead of turn-based fights" more than "A musou game, but with Persona 5 characters" but I loved P5 so I'm hyped for that. Looks like it really nails the aesthetic and stylishness of that game, too.

Killing thousands of guys per stage has started to get a bit stale so I'm looking forward to the more focused, smaller-scale battles. The game was really well-received in Japan too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloodly posted:

Isn't that his Kessen design? It's been a LONG time since we've seen that.

i never played kessen :ssh: lol

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I love Demon Nobunaga that SW had because his evil knight aesthetic was so fantastic but SW does well enough that I'm willing to give Hot Nobunaga a chance.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fur20 posted:

i never played kessen :ssh: lol

Kessen II is kind of crazy because it's Liu Bei trying to save the love of his life Diao Chan, there's live action cutscenes, and magic is a thing so Zhuge Liang just throws lightning bolts and fireballs all over the map, also Himiko is a sorceress who serves Cao Cao.

I don't know if I liked it and I definitely never got very far in it but it was such a weird thing to me who had only played Dynasty Warriors 3 and had never heard of the original Kessen.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Basara already has a lock on "evil Nobunaga." This is just KOEI admitting that but also I'm here for it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fumaofthelake posted:

Basara already has a lock on "evil Nobunaga." This is just KOEI admitting that but also I'm here for it.

basara has a demon literally manifesting out of his back so I think SW can still go a little harder. I'll gladly take gundam tadakatsu added to SW though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"Small scale musou battles" feels like missing the point completely.
Cause I bet my rear end the fighting will still not provide any challenge like a normal brawler so it's just the same thing but with less visual spectacle.

Maybe it's just me but P5 Strikers looks like complete rear end.

I'd kill for a new Musou on PC.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Kessen II is kind of crazy because it's Liu Bei trying to save the love of his life Diao Chan, there's live action cutscenes, and magic is a thing so Zhuge Liang just throws lightning bolts and fireballs all over the map, also Himiko is a sorceress who serves Cao Cao.

I don't know if I liked it and I definitely never got very far in it but it was such a weird thing to me who had only played Dynasty Warriors 3 and had never heard of the original Kessen.

Kessen ll was my first exposition ever to the three kingdoms, it is an okay game and back then i really liked all the craziness.
Suffice to say I was confused when I later learned it was based on historical events, some characters were gender-swapped or made up for the game, and meteors raining from the sky weren’t a thing.
Fortunately I also discovered musous about that time to get that ridiculous but engaging insanity fix.
A kessen-like game with the possibility of playing musou in certain engagements would be great though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

"Small scale musou battles" feels like missing the point completely.
Cause I bet my rear end the fighting will still not provide any challenge like a normal brawler so it's just the same thing but with less visual spectacle.

I mean it's persona 5 we're talking about here, so I'm not too worried about that...but yeah it looks like a change of pace for musou games for sure. I'm optimistic but we'll see when it comes out!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

one thing thats really broken the warriors series for me is noticing that in the recent games if you stand still and leave the controller the mooks actually either won't or can't attack you. so the enemies are purely decorative

in age of calamity they swing at you but their swing is too short to actually hit you even standing still, its extremely lame

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Communist Thoughts posted:

one thing thats really broken the warriors series for me is noticing that in the recent games if you stand still and leave the controller the mooks actually either won't or can't attack you. so the enemies are purely decorative

in age of calamity they swing at you but their swing is too short to actually hit you even standing still, its extremely lame

not sure if thats better or worse than the old DW archers sniping you off your horse every 3 seconds.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Fauxtool posted:

not sure if thats better or worse than the old DW archers sniping you off your horse every 3 seconds.

I honestly prefer a game where the basic enemies are capable of doing literally anything to me. The spectacle of later games is amusing, but just... not as rewarding.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It just seems like the entire latest batch of Musou titles that haven't been directly expanded from a previous entry have been varying levels of disappointing. DW9, WO4, PW4, AoC are all some pretty heavy missteps from the previous entries in their series (all of which are some of the most beloved Musou games) from WO4's boring, undercooked combat to AoC's non-existant stage design and performance issues to DW9's... everything. Which makes me really, really gunshy on SW5 unless they're very visibly making some changes in their recent direction. I hear P5S is very good but it's also had a much longer development cycle and another company's hands firmly holding the reigns so who knows if it's a course correction or just a fluke in the lame Musou era we're passing through right now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr. Locke posted:

It just seems like the entire latest batch of Musou titles that haven't been directly expanded from a previous entry have been varying levels of disappointing. DW9, WO4, PW4, AoC are all some pretty heavy missteps from the previous entries in their series (all of which are some of the most beloved Musou games) from WO4's boring, undercooked combat to AoC's non-existant stage design and performance issues to DW9's... everything. Which makes me really, really gunshy on SW5 unless they're very visibly making some changes in their recent direction. I hear P5S is very good but it's also had a much longer development cycle and another company's hands firmly holding the reigns so who knows if it's a course correction or just a fluke in the lame Musou era we're passing through right now.

P5S isn't really a Musou game. Its a P5 Dungeon crawler but where you'd trigger a turn based battle it drops you in to a small scale action encounter with Musou controls.

Like there's literally no stage poo poo at all since you're doing standard Persona 5 dungeons with the sneaking and puzzles etc

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Zore posted:

P5S isn't really a Musou game. Its a P5 Dungeon crawler but where you'd trigger a turn based battle it drops you in to a small scale action encounter with Musou controls.

Like there's literally no stage poo poo at all since you're doing standard Persona 5 dungeons with the sneaking and puzzles etc

That actually sounds kinda rad, depending on how interesting the individual monsters are to fight then. Not exactly Musou's strong point, individual engagements, but P5's dungeons were pretty cool outside the last one of the base game going on for about half again as long as it had to with the same gimmick the whole way so I can see how it could be fun if the individual fights are at least well enough designed to keep interest.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Locke posted:

That actually sounds kinda rad, depending on how interesting the individual monsters are to fight then. Not exactly Musou's strong point, individual engagements, but P5's dungeons were pretty cool outside the last one of the base game going on for about half again as long as it had to with the same gimmick the whole way so I can see how it could be fun if the individual fights are at least well enough designed to keep interest.

I think hyrule warriors (including AOC) made some big strides in making boss/miniboss type characters mechanically interesting to fight, so I'm hoping P5s manages it too.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Mr. Locke posted:

I was starting to think I the only one who LIKES the classic map design and gameplay. I like starting out behind the 8-ball and then systematically destroying the enemies' bases and morale. I take my time and take every base before I even think of going after the boss.

The games that move away from that - HW: Age of Calamity, Dynasty Warriors 9, and now likely P5 Strikers - have been leaving me cold. I'll probably still try Strikers, but it's on the back burner for me now. Which sucks because I was really looking forward to it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NameHurtBrain posted:

Almost unrelated, but I'd really like some focus on the other factions. Maybe not elaborate as Lu Bu in 8XL(but hey that'd be fun), but give me a story where Dong Zhuo tells his own over the top revisionist history of being the good guy, everyone getting all bent out of shape about extravagant feasts and public torture. They just don't appreciate him.

Or a Yuan Shao version of Guandu that switches from as easy of a win to as hopeless a battle as Lu Bu's Xiapi finale.

I feel like the series weakness has always been hyper-focus on retelling the same story every time. They try to be different here and there, but multiple perspectives is something woefully underdone when both sides aren't Wu/Shu/Wei.

Hey that's a really good idea! Honestly, it'd be nice to have a better throughline to the games. Aside from Hyrule Warriors 1, I can't say I remember any of the stories off the top of my head. I've played Gundamn 2 and 3, HW, and WO4 and it's only the last two that I remember anything of and that's because they're so simple. 'Defeat Ganondorf and help Lana stop Cia' and 'Destroy Orochi' for the latter.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

lol if u stand still for more than 0 seconds in a Warriors game

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

That's what we called bow fodder back in my day.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

lowercase16 posted:

I was starting to think I the only one who LIKES the classic map design and gameplay. I like starting out behind the 8-ball and then systematically destroying the enemies' bases and morale. I take my time and take every base before I even think of going after the boss.

The games that move away from that - HW: Age of Calamity, Dynasty Warriors 9, and now likely P5 Strikers - have been leaving me cold. I'll probably still try Strikers, but it's on the back burner for me now. Which sucks because I was really looking forward to it.

You’re not alone and it’s honestly killed my interest in P5S

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like the old school big map too. Sometimes I like to make a beeline to the commander for that true one-man army feel, and it feels great to demolish everyone in your way.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

My controller had the batteries die on me mid-fight in DW8XL (on the highest difficulty, oh no!), and it taught me one thing; while the basic fodder in DW8XL is far less aggressive than it was back in DW3-DW5 (back when basic units were actually dangerous to some extent), it can and will at least still make frequent attempts to attack you rather than just wait patiently for you to resume hacking them down in their droves. This got me thinking about how (in)effective they might be per-type so I started to experiment by finding some mooks then just waiting for them to do stuff, and it turns out that (on higher difficulties at least) standing around will still get you killed off by the rabble, just slowly compared to the PS2 days (where even running around wasn't guaranteed safety).

Unless, that is, you're surrounded by spearmen, in which case old age will probably claim you first.

For whatever reason, spearmen in DW8XL are loving pathetic; like the other infantry dudes they'll step up, mill around circling you for a bit, get ready to swing their spear... but miss the attack completely some 95% of the time. I'm not exaggerating when I say that you could probably run into some spearmen then go to grab a snack/drink and come back to the game a few minutes later with a perfectly healthy character still waiting for you (unless some lowly peasant with a sword has turned up to ruin the fun). Archers are also pretty sad; gone are the days of terror where a mere handful of these fuckers lurking in the fog would turn you into a pin cushion within seconds, because now once you're beyond a certain range (and not exactly far away at that) they'll suddenly become wildly inaccurate and shoot clouds & scenery instead of you... and of course standing idle to be hit a few times by these dickheads will inevitably push you beyond that range. Baffling stuff.

Enemy officers are savages though and will just loving murder you under such circumstances, which is to be expected.

But then outside of dumb experiment poo poo...

Wamdoodle posted:

:hmmyes:

McTimmy posted:

That's what we called bow fodder back in my day.
Very true. Some real nightmare poo poo, especially if Sun Quan got involved in DW3.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Very true. Some real nightmare poo poo, especially if Sun Quan got involved in DW3.

loving Archer-obsessed maniac, he was. Christ.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I played a bit of P5 Strikers a bit ago and yeah, anyone looking for standard musou fare will probably be disappointed. There's a short tutorial battle after the intro cutscene and after that it's basically a lot like a Persona game, real long scenes of characters sitting around and talking. This isn't a bad thing if you're into that (I am) but for people who just want to fight some dudes with very little story in between, this is not that.

I didn't play Persona 5 so I don't know any of the characters but so far aside from them referencing the "Change of Hearts incident" (which is pretty obviously "the stuff that happened in Persona 5") it doesn't seem like the game expects you to know that much from the game. Except that the cops apparently know Joker's real identity? They mention the Phantom Thieves during the meeting and talk about investigating the leader for the new incident and they show a picture of him without a mask so I can only assume they know who he is.

Futaba seems fun, Ryuji is a cool guy so far, I want to get to know more of art fanboy, and the other two haven't made any sort of impression on me yet. Also the cat apparently is a real cat during the day or at least when they're not doing Persona shenanigans. I don't know if the cat has a Koromaru thing or a Teddie thing going on yet.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I played a bit of P5 Strikers a bit ago and yeah, anyone looking for standard musou fare will probably be disappointed. There's a short tutorial battle after the intro cutscene and after that it's basically a lot like a Persona game, real long scenes of characters sitting around and talking. This isn't a bad thing if you're into that (I am) but for people who just want to fight some dudes with very little story in between, this is not that.

I didn't play Persona 5 so I don't know any of the characters but so far aside from them referencing the "Change of Hearts incident" (which is pretty obviously "the stuff that happened in Persona 5") it doesn't seem like the game expects you to know that much from the game. Except that the cops apparently know Joker's real identity? They mention the Phantom Thieves during the meeting and talk about investigating the leader for the new incident and they show a picture of him without a mask so I can only assume they know who he is.

Futaba seems fun, Ryuji is a cool guy so far, I want to get to know more of art fanboy, and the other two haven't made any sort of impression on me yet. Also the cat apparently is a real cat during the day or at least when they're not doing Persona shenanigans. I don't know if the cat has a Koromaru thing or a Teddie thing going on yet.

Yeah, some stuff goes down- Persona 5 opens with a heist gone wrong and Joker getting caught by the police, an event that actually happens fairly far into the game's actual story as most of it is being 'retold' through the player's memories during interrogation. The cat is a real cat in the normal world and a cartoon cat in the Metaverse- it's more of a Teddie thing but it's also much more of it's own thing that's loosely tied to the game's last mystery.

Yeah, that sounds like a Persona game with a different battle system- not really gonna scratch that Musou itch, but cool it's getting to be it's own thing then.

BlazetheInferno posted:

loving Archer-obsessed maniac, he was. Christ.

Sun Quan was a jackass, but for me peak archer bullshit is always going to be the halls and central courtyard on He Fei Castle vs Wei. People think Zhuge Liang a tactical genius for his love of having people set stuff on fire, but Sima Yi's Archer and Trap Funhouse might be the most devastating military tactic seen during the Three Kingdom's era.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mr. Locke posted:

Sun Quan was a jackass, but for me peak archer bullshit is always going to be the halls and central courtyard on He Fei Castle vs Wei. People think Zhuge Liang a tactical genius for his love of having people set stuff on fire, but Sima Yi's Archer and Trap Funhouse might be the most devastating military tactic seen during the Three Kingdom's era.
That central courtyard ambush can be sprung on you no matter what side you're playing and it's especially horrible if you're on the Wei side. Quite how Sun Quan manages to get a bunch of blokes into the castle grounds when every gate is supposed to be sealed shut in preparation for the siege is beyond me, but the fucker does it anyway. I mean Lu Xun and Lu Meng are just sitting around in Wei territory with four gates behind them, chilling out before you even start the battle.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

God, I always dreaded having to fight Wu in early DW games, happening across a dozen, or two, archers just chilling in the middle of the field was never a good experience, I think I took to jump attacking those groups because that usually hit more of them and kept me mobile against the inevitable counterfire. Heck, that also brings up memories of, I think, Lu Bu's 5th weapon where you have to protect Diao Chan on a Chi Bi style map and I'm pretty sure it was against Wu or Wu-adjacent forces, gently caress that map and gently caress getting that weapon.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardryn posted:

God, I always dreaded having to fight Wu in early DW games, happening across a dozen, or two, archers just chilling in the middle of the field was never a good experience, I think I took to jump attacking those groups because that usually hit more of them and kept me mobile against the inevitable counterfire. Heck, that also brings up memories of, I think, Lu Bu's 5th weapon where you have to protect Diao Chan on a Chi Bi style map and I'm pretty sure it was against Wu or Wu-adjacent forces, gently caress that map and gently caress getting that weapon.

the 5th weapon stuff was great. I wish more games did it. The modern final weapon implementations have been pretty weak

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Fauxtool posted:

the 5th weapon stuff was great. I wish more games did it. The modern final weapon implementations have been pretty weak

Zhang Jiao's 5th weapon was *LEGENDARY* and no other game since has done anything like it. And I mean the weapon, not the method of acquiring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait wasnt it 4th weapon not 5th? Which DW was the last to do it similar to the early games with special missions within the stages. Also where the last weapon was the best by a long shot and not just a rare variant that could still be rolled badly