Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

explosivo posted:

Hey so uh I was boating around and had to turn around because I started going down what I thought was a river but closed up, and as I was backing up I looked over on the shore and saw the Grim Reaper? It was raining and I hadn't seen it before so needless to say it was extremely eerie. I kept looking to see if it was going to disappear but as I sailed away it stood there completely still the entire time. :psyduck:

Yup we’ve spotted it too. If you walk towards him he disappears

Now that I think of it I haven’t seen him in a while. Dunno what that was all about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
So many trees felled, but got a dock building and my wall done.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yup we’ve spotted it too. If you walk towards him he disappears

Now that I think of it I haven’t seen him in a while. Dunno what that was all about

Pfew okay, I don't know why but the circumstances in which he appeared in my game was particularly loving creepy. It was cool as hell and had me thinking "Did I just see that?" as I sailed away.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

Pfew okay, I don't know why but the circumstances in which he appeared in my game was particularly loving creepy. It was cool as hell and had me thinking "Did I just see that?" as I sailed away.

The first time you see it is cool and creepy and then you notice he’s only got one eye under the hood. It’s just Odin checking in and making sure you’re doing okay.

I’ve also had him just chill by my gate as trolls invade. That’s less cool of him.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

If it was in the cargo hold of your ship there will be a small box floating in the water with the cargo in it. As far as we have seen they never despawn. Failing that you can park a boat over it and swim under it to push you underwater and possibly within reach of the items.

Man...thank you! I went back and it wasn't easy to spot, but eventually found a box. You're a hero mr. fart car.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Do any of the torches/light sources not require constant filling with resin like the wooden standing torches do? Kind of sucks that most our settlement is dark half the time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fishstick posted:

So many trees felled, but got a dock building and my wall done.

Those look awesome!

Game is pretty, y'all

Making a designated portal area

I finally figured out why I love this game so much aside form the obvious: It reminds me of summer camp.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ocean spoilers: Holy poo poo I guess that wasn't an island it WAS A loving LEVIATHAN!? :gonk:

Woden
May 6, 2006
How do you get cheats to work?

I open the console, typed "iamacheater" but nothing works and all the commands under "help" stay the same. I even tried starting the world as multiplayer but nada, is this maybe a Linux issue or am I just being dumb?

Edi: yep ima dumbo.

Woden fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 19, 2021

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Woden posted:

I open the console, typed "iamacheater" but nothing works and all the commands under "help" stay the same. I even tried starting the world as multiplayer but nada, is this maybe a Linux issue or am I just being dumb?

It’s “imacheater”, drop the a

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Woden posted:

Edi: yep ima dumbo.

It's all case sensitive.

Hit F5, type "imacheater", hit enter. It should say cheats are now on.

To get wood type, "spawn Wood 10"
Wood must be capitalized. Lester scraps would be "LeatherScraps".

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
This game is rad; trying to build to the games' aesthetic.

The steepled roof structure is a WIP from replacing the old hillfort.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So what exactly controls the "the forest moves" invasion stuff because I'm getting real sick of like 3 or 4 waves of dwarfs just swarming me.

At least my poor clean up saved me by breaking most of their pathing with logs everywhere they couldn't walk through so I just jumped back and forth. But it's not like I can really scale it more than the monstrosity currently.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Decided to sail to a corner of the world and build a sea fortress like I saw in an imgur gallery earlier in the thread. Sailing a bunch of materials for building and a new boat/portal there and back again was a harrowing experience to say the least. After I got back and connected the portal I finished it up today. Unfortunately it turned out less like a fortress and more just a lone tower on a sandbar. Hopefully they allow bonfires to be placed on structures (and increase their visibility) someday so I can improve the tower and my lighthouse back home.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Synnr posted:

So what exactly controls the "the forest moves" invasion stuff because I'm getting real sick of like 3 or 4 waves of dwarfs just swarming me.

At least my poor clean up saved me by breaking most of their pathing with logs everywhere they couldn't walk through so I just jumped back and forth. But it's not like I can really scale it more than the monstrosity currently.

I think it's tied to killing bosses. The invasions in a world apparently get more dangerous each time you kill a new boss

Zierk
Jan 10, 2012

Red Herring posted:

This game is rad; trying to build to the games' aesthetic.

The steepled roof structure is a WIP from replacing the old hillfort.

That's pretty good looking. Did you build the moat yourself or did you start on an island?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

It does scale up depending on the bosses. We had a frost drake attack earlier it sucked

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was out exploring in the Black Forest and discovered the tiniest Mountain biome. Just a small patch of snowy area on a hill that popped up the notification that I had entered the mountains.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, stupid question: I just finished the swamp, where do I go next? I assumed Plains, but my dude is eating poo poo in 1-2 hits with fully-upgraded swamp gear.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Mountains would be next, plains is after that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay awesome, thanks! Thank crap... I just spent three hours on multiple corpse retrieval runs in the loving plains, and I was about ready to toss the game if that was really the next area.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well from what I can tell it varies based on which boss you're on, though I can't find an explanation for why I was getting back to back assaults. There are also non-story related ones apparently but I'm not sure if I'm triggering both at once somehow or just misunderstanding how the invasions play out.

I thought maybe it was a result of just was taking too long and went to do boss 2? And wow, oak slenderman sucks. Fought for a full night and day. I think I burned 300 arrows and ruined half my equipment because I had to fight 2 trolls, high double digits dwarfs and random skeletons. poo poo just kept running up to me mid-fight. I hope this wasn't meant as a gear check, because I think I failed it despite winning in the end.

Also I found the merchant next to the elders platform so that's... something. Not where I was told it would be on this seed.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have anything to say about this supposed 2km range of detecting the merchant? The radius of the map is 10km so 20% of that seems like a huge range. I spent hours sailing around tonight looking but nothing yet.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have anything to say about this supposed 2km range of detecting the merchant? The radius of the map is 10km so 20% of that seems like a huge range. I spent hours sailing around tonight looking but nothing yet.

it's nowhere near that far, it's like maybe 30s of running away at the most that the merchant icon appears, like I finally caved and did the 42069lolxd seed cause it was faster, and I still needed to follow a map to get to the merchant *there* and it didn't show up till I was pretty close.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The range is "vaguely see his bubble in the distance", not multiple kilometers.

The tag that shows up is massive, though.

edit:
It's important to be organized

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 19, 2021

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Glad to seem I'm not the only one using the Modern Major-General Organization System.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just now entering the bronze age with my friends and crafted up the Karve. Went sailing to explore and found the plains. We saw some buffalo and a goblin town and wanted to move closer to check it out. Suddenly hear a buzzing and my friend is dead. I try to run back to the boat but the skeeter catches me also. Welp there goes our boat and all own bronze gear ha.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum
Just gonna post my server-details again if we have any new goons that wants to join us.

I put up a dedicated server on my machine and it's been running stable now for a couple of days. It started with me and my friend who wanted a permanent world, but we wanted some friends and now there's a bunch of us running around doing stuff. We're not very far along, just got my first bronze-item done. Mostly building bases and stuff, working the fields and whatnot. Anyone who wants a permanent world with some goons in it to hang around with is welcome to join us!

:::MOVED TO PRIVATE GAME SERVERS::: (try both, I connect on 2456, others on 2457, no idea why)
The password is in the private game servers thread

https://discord.gg/Nck9A2wr is the discord we've been using.

Martin fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 19, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

checkplease posted:

Just now entering the bronze age with my friends and crafted up the Karve. Went sailing to explore and found the plains. We saw some buffalo and a goblin town and wanted to move closer to check it out. Suddenly hear a buzzing and my friend is dead. I try to run back to the boat but the skeeter catches me also. Welp there goes our boat and all own bronze gear ha.

Deathsquitos feel like they should just be a spawn in an earlier biome and do way less damage. I think the number one cause of deaths for me is “sailed past a plains and got shanked while in the boat” because they have a huge range and can keep up with even the second tier ship.

Still, the time my boat ran over the bug was pretty funny.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Yeah I think the difficulty should keep ramping but right now it's way too easy to finish the Swamp and start sailing around looking for the next thing to do then stumble upon the Plains to immediately die. Mountain has a somewhat small difficulty jump and is mostly remote in terms of placement (including needing crafting potions to access it reliably), while the Plains is a huge jump, has no barriers to entry, and can be mistaken for meadows.

Also, unrelated, but sailing to explore is aggravating when Mistlands come into play because the biome darkens the lighting so severely even in daytime. They should probably just do small colour grading when crossing the border and do a darker transition when you actually land.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I absolutely love the fact that in a reverse ARPG trope the toughest enemies in the game are goblins and mosquitoes.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

TeaJay posted:

I absolutely love the fact that in a reverse ARPG trope the toughest enemies in the game are goblins and mosquitoes.

Haha, didn't think of if that way until you stated it explicitly but so true.

Also the final tier of armor currently in game is "padded" which sounds like starter tier or maybe the next tier after leather. (I recall that being what one of the lowest tiers of armor was in the major swedish TRPG when I was young which I could imagine these devs also being familiar with.)

Fuling villages are no joke, I've been killed more than once after getting fully upgraded padded.

I suspect I will never really manage to raise my skills beyond their current level since I seem to die again just about when I've regained my last loss.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Does destroying stuff (walls, floors, etc) fully recuperate the costs to build it? I've built a nice little house but I've found a much better place, and I'd rather not cut down half a forest again.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Does destroying stuff (walls, floors, etc) fully recuperate the costs to build it? I've built a nice little house but I've found a much better place, and I'd rather not cut down half a forest again.

If it's fully repaired, yes.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum

Martin posted:

Just gonna post my server-details again if we have any new goons that wants to join us.

I put up a dedicated server on my machine and it's been running stable now for a couple of days. It started with me and my friend who wanted a permanent world, but we wanted some friends and now there's a bunch of us running around doing stuff. We're not very far along, just got my first bronze-item done. Mostly building bases and stuff, working the fields and whatnot. Anyone who wants a permanent world with some goons in it to hang around with is welcome to join us!

:::MOVED TO PRIVATE GAME SERVERS::: (try both, I connect on 2456, others on 2457, no idea why)
The password is in the private game servers thread

https://discord.gg/Nck9A2wr is the discord we've been using.

Seems like Games is open to the public, moved the info to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959626

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Landscaping is a lot of work, even with the tips those Cohh videos had.

Still got a lot of work to do...

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Valheim: The logging incident

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The mountains are extremely spooky at night. Didn't manage to make it back to base on time, and got murdered by seven wolves, including a couple of 1-stars, and at least one 2-star.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yeah I loathe the deathsquitos because a) I can't figure out how to make them not go into our plains base despite spawning pretty far away b) they make me keep hella distance from land when sailing which makes for lovely map reveal. They're kinda interesting as a hazard while actually traveling through the plains, but when just hanging out or being close to the plains they're way too annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Slowly building my Elven Village/Channelwood after seeing a particularly angled tree over a river. Trees count as solid ground, so as long as the trees are close enough together to link up you could essentially build forever.