Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

These abominable boobs didn’t account for the cursed soldier perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eh, build up your army cohesion or whatever needs to be done. I am more upset that it seems like neither the museum or MID will respond to the latest shitpost, thus granting the Ru embassy an internet victory

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BigRoman posted:

Does Russia have the technical ability to transfer water/build enough desalinization plants to make up for the deficit? I guess what I'm asking is, was this not addressed earlier due to a lack of political will, or is it beyond their technical/financial ability to address this issue?

2020 has been so bleak, I am convinced this will be their excuse to annex their way to the Dnipro.

Well, Kuwait manages to keep its population of almost double Crimea going with desalinization plants that it got built in the 60s, so it seems like Russia could do it, and it's probably more of a question of how long it would take to build and how much money Russia is willing to spare.

Of course, I think Crimea has more agriculture and ecology to look out for, so that would probably increase the cost much more.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Thats hilarious, the russian state accuses Navalny of not reporting to his parole officer while he was in coma, as reported by everyone including Pooty himself?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It's worse than that, 1) Putin boasted that he was the one that "allowed" Navalny be transported to Germany
2) The case that he is on probation for was declared unjust and arbitrary by the European human rights court and Russia paid him and his brother compensations: https://meduza.io/en/news/2018/08/0...ves-rocher-case , when they were "convicted" the brother was jailed and spent 1.5 years in prison. It was widely speculated that this was Kremlin's message that they will go after your family to gently caress you up in addition to make sure Alekei N has a bogus conviction so that he can't run for office after getting about 25% in the Moscow mayoral elections in 2013.

And after all this Borrell goes to Moscow to suck off Lavrov and attempt some kind of reset, what the gently caress

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Borrell got hosed over hard in Russia, but the EU diplomacy is having none of it. They’ve been making some aggresive statements through Borrell today. I can only assume they’re getting a boost from Joe.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
The Moscow protests are no longer a thing. It’s too cold to remain outside for any serious length of time. I hope the poo poo gets real again in spring.

The EU and US diplomatic response is truly pathetic. Vlad can do whatever and get away with it.

I joined a real life political organisation. It’s called Civil Society (abbreviated GrOb).

The bad: it appears to be organised by Eastern European libertarians.

The good: it’s progressive? They have an LGBT and a feminist sub-faction.

The bad: the feminist faction is run by a man and they post TERF stuff translated from some UK blog.

The terrible: the first thing I see when I join the private GrOb chat room was a guy named Ludwig von Mises preaching that people who don’t believe in hating homos don’t believe in anything at all if you think about it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Jesus friend, that sounds frustrating. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be in your shoes over there, I hope you all get real change and that it sticks.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

To be fair, we’re in terra incognita here. Just because the protests haven’t resulted in immediate change, doesn’t mean they’re not achieving something. Heck, if anything, 90% of the time sudden revolutions start of well and then descend into a clusterfuck. Maybe it needs to take time.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Necronormiecon posted:

I joined a real life political organisation. It’s called Civil Society (abbreviated GrOb).

The bad: it appears to be organised by Eastern European libertarians.

The good: it’s progressive? They have an LGBT and a feminist sub-faction.

The bad: the feminist faction is run by a man and they post TERF stuff translated from some UK blog.

The terrible: the first thing I see when I join the private GrOb chat room was a guy named Ludwig von Mises preaching that people who don’t believe in hating homos don’t believe in anything at all if you think about it.

Dude run run run away
Svetov is a pedo parroting american alt-right and that whole place (LPR) is a loving snake pit that is gonna split and tear itself apart thousand more times loving up any ordinary member in favor of the fuhrer https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dFYUw5gLoGh0CZHJLeZLn7xmcav8463TWvSdTamj4C4/edit?ref=tjournal.ru (not a fan of Pozharsky either but of their former duo he is somewhat smart)

And yeah their feminist faction is almost exclusively "radfems" who mostly pick fights with other activists not affiliated with Civil Society

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 11, 2021

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

fatherboxx posted:

Dude run run run away

What Russian org should I join? I’m a lib. All my anglophone friends are anarchists or progressive libs. When you are protesting on the street it’s good to be a part of an established collective. Necessary even.

Call me naive, but I was hoping the acceptance of chuddery is a ~tactical ploy~ on behalf of GrOb leadership. The kind of cynical politics one has to resort to in a nation so throughouly contaminated by right-wing idpol as Russia.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

To be fair, we’re in terra incognita here. Just because the protests haven’t resulted in immediate change, doesn’t mean they’re not achieving something. Heck, if anything, 90% of the time sudden revolutions start of well and then descend into a clusterfuck. Maybe it needs to take time.

That's my takeaway from the Belarusian protests. Chatham House's research shows that even among people who support protests, the majority don't particularly trust opposition political figures. More people trust them than Lukashenko, obviously, but it's clear there is a demand for a clear vision (or a variety to choose from) for Belarus without Lukashenko. It's easy to say that protests accomplished nothing, but Lukashenko wouldn't even be promising a constitutional referendum in 2022 today, if it weren't for them. The Overton window of opinions re stability versus change has moved towards the latter. Despite Lukashenko's denial, literally all his actions right now are affected by the protests in one way or another. It is important not to let that positive potential go to waste, though, and continue to apply pressure no matter what, even if it's going to take another year, even without flashy hundred-thousand strong marches.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I absolutely love reading the comment sections on articles about the FSB poisonings here in Germany. When office hours start in Russia, every single article on that subject gets a massive flood of comments in broken German about "where from you hard verified proofs? The hyprocticia from west as always!" Or "the belling cat pet of MI6. you investigate who pays" but then every single reply is calling them out as russian trolls and tells them to gently caress off and get a real job. I didn't think I would ever be proud of people posting in news comment section but here we are. Strange times.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Protests are for a more democratic system, not the particular people leading it. That would be decided through elections, watched by a free media and judged by independent courts. I would love to see Batka as president with all the normal checks and balances in place and media and prosecutors on his heels.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GABA ghoul posted:

I absolutely love reading the comment sections on articles about the FSB poisonings here in Germany. When office hours start in Russia, every single article on that subject gets a massive flood of comments in broken German about "where from you hard verified proofs? The hyprocticia from west as always!" Or "the belling cat pet of MI6. you investigate who pays" but then every single reply is calling them out as russian trolls and tells them to gently caress off and get a real job. I didn't think I would ever be proud of people posting in news comment section but here we are. Strange times.

A decade ago you'd have been seen as a conspiracy nut or Russophobe

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
imagine being paid minimum wage just to poo poo on Western Media comments section.
now imagine that this is unironically our governmental stance on dealing with being called out

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Erulisse posted:

imagine being paid minimum wage just to poo poo on Western Media comments section.
now imagine that this is unironically our governmental stance on dealing with being called out

From what I remember, commenting on western sites(in a foreign language!) paid double compared to posting on some siberian bumfuck local newspapers commenting section.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

the heat goes wrong posted:

From what I remember, commenting on western sites(in a foreign language!) paid double compared to posting on some siberian bumfuck local newspapers commenting section.

Sad you can't include expensive propaganda shitposts in exports numbers or the Russian economy would be booming right now

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nenonen posted:

Protests are for a more democratic system, not the particular people leading it. That would be decided through elections, watched by a free media and judged by independent courts. I would love to see Batka as president with all the normal checks and balances in place and media and prosecutors on his heels.

That was him in the first 2 years. Somehow it resulted in the next 24 years.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I'm always ashamed to tell people that I'm russian. I'm legit ashamed, honestly.
Because only in this country government can be preparing terrorist acts on their own people to shut them up.

https://tass.ru/proisshestviya/10677377

Some gently caress-knows what terrorist org is preparing to bomb a few mass gatherings this summer in russia.
Only "mass gatherings this summer in russia" I can think of are the already announced protests.
And oh yes how good and kind of them to tell ministry of defence that they will be blowing these up.

I was tempted to joke around this as usual, BUT loving GOD PUTIN gently caress OFF STOP BLOWING PEOPLE UP WHEN YOUR RATING FALLS

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Erulisse posted:

I'm always ashamed to tell people that I'm russian. I'm legit ashamed, honestly.

Kind of an empty platitude, but I think you shouldn't be. You're not a Putin mafioso.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Erulisse posted:

Because only in this country government can be preparing terrorist acts on their own people to shut them up.

I don't think you should be a self-hating Russian any more than I condone self-hating Americans. Both of our societies are engaged in internal struggles to achieve freedom, equality, peace, and tolerance. We have had and continue to have leaders who do evil things, but their evil doesn't taint you, personally, as long as you aren't embracing the fascism.

There are things I can genuinely be proud of, as an American. I think there are things that you can genuinely be proud of as a Russian as well.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The summit of Belarusians that was happening last 2 days, which was meant to re-legitimize Lukashenko and show popular support actually cheered me up. It showed that we struck true. He was raging and raving, when his regimented time was 1.5 hrs, he spoke for 3+. Second day was especially good when he didn't just read pre-written speeches but speak on his own, a lot of it was barely comprehensible gibberish. It was kind of like a theater of one actor, there was a lot of emotion, hate, hurt, whatever you call it when a person feels betrayed, mutually exclusive statements. Praises to Russia and swears of eternal devotion interspersed with oaths to defend sovereignty to the last drop of blood. It is pretty funny to read RU news pieces about it because they try to process what he sad and deliver in readable form but just more or less baffled. BY independent news know better and just deliver best quotes. Honestly I would be more demoralized if the proceedings were calm, measured, everyone would deliver their part of dealing with the revolutionary menace. Instead ot was kind of like a concert when the lead throws a tantrum instead of singing best hits.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Apart from the hilarity, this time Lukashenko actually promised something concrete about constitutional reforms. He can deny it all he wants, but he would have never done it without the protests. Of course, he's prone to breaking his own promises, but it's clear that he's under a lot of pressure.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The water situation in Crimea was always bad because corrupt politicians would cut off the population to increase the water pressure at their resorts/hotels.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Love my extremely normal country and its extremely honest leadership with ~secret~ offsprings like its 1612

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1361939143379533827

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

fatherboxx posted:

Love my extremely normal country and its extremely honest leadership with ~secret~ offsprings like its 1612
I am more shocked that it went unknown for so long.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

To be fair she said nothing about illuminati creating COVID and instead blamed the “golden billion” which is a Russian euphemism for “western white people.”

E: nevermind, she thinks “golden billion” means illuminati

Necronormiecon fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 17, 2021

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

But how can Putin afford all these alimony payments with his meager public servant salary? Is this why he only own a single small apartment and drives an old Lada?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

GABA ghoul posted:

But how can Putin afford all these alimony payments with his meager public servant salary? Is this why he only own a single small apartment and drives an old Lada?

He has to crash at his friends palaces, the poor guy

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Continuity NIP posted:

Lol

What's happening with the Russian protests now? Have they just died out? Or suppressed effectively?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Continuity NIP posted:

What I find fascinating about this set up is the ammount of trust he puts into his friends. These are nit the most trustworthy people and I don’t understand why he thinks they’ll continue to front his cash and houses the moment something goes to poo poo. Hell, they basically can turn on him any moment with that sort of kompromat.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Budzilla posted:

Lol

What's happening with the Russian protests now? Have they just died out? Or suppressed effectively?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Ah, yes weather, the old savior of the Russian status quo

I know hitler and napoloen weren't beaten by weather

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

That's like Texas weather, man.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Talking about aforementioned particular austrian painter-turned-fuhrer.
Soloviev (one of the smarter and very evil putin's mouthpieces) practically pardoned adolf, praising Hitler! for courage!! and not evading military service (this is how he loving ended up in germany, lmao) and other 'good things' (missing quite a few historic points) while comparing him to Navalny, calling Alexei a "codpiece fuhrer" (poisoned panties reference). Funny poo poo, the whole tirade fits putin as the codpiece fuhrer much better. But ofc no one will ever question Soloviev, meanwhile a small time blogger is in prison for a post about how bad Nazis are. Because it had a picture of parade with swastika flag. The flag was burned or torn, i don't recall now but it was obvious that it was a historically accurate post. Nevertheless...
All this while Navalny is being trialed for defamation of a WW2 veteran, who starred for a second in some propaganda video that Navalny criticized heavily. The whole trial is such a circus that it's impossible to follow it without facepalming every moment the prosecutor speaks. At least Alexei is having as much fun as he can in this situation, debacling every point of charges even without legal base, just by logic.
They are trying so hard, god it's all such a shitshow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.klix.ba/magazin/muzika/preminuo-djordje-balasevic/210219156 :rip:

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 19, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I honestly don't think there will be much russian protest even in spring. They aren't just there yet. Putin didn't yet piss off everyone enough.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Want to see perversion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx7WlM6bVuQ

Here is metallica playing a song by Viktor Tsoy. And there are russians recording it on thier iphones, the entire stadium is more or less privileged people enjoying a rebellion song. I once spoke to a Siberian girl who explained to me that she had to gift her car to her boss because she "screwed up" and boss also happens to be a local governor. This was utter bullshit that she somehow accumulated a "debt" to him WHILE loving WORKING FOR HIM. She thought it was normal. There is Kremlin who does all sort of poo poo and there is local government who does all they want with center's permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Well, looks like he's getting there (if these polls can be believed):

This is from the Estonian special services report on the geopolitical situation in 2021 so they give some weight to it: https://valisluureamet.ee/pdf/raport/2021-ENG.pdf

There's a good chance that grandpa will go for another "small, victorious war" to boost his ratings, since for some reason using the huge currency reserves to help people hit by the covid epidemic or addressing the increasing poverty is not something the state is willing to consider. But they have to do something for the coming parliamentary elections, so more repressions at the least.

quote:

They didn't want to tire people out by gathering them into big marches every weekend to their city centers especially during the cold, so on Valentine's day they asked people to gather into their neighborhoods with flashlights to show support to Navalny. Apparently this is something they've copied from the Belarus protests, which is an interesting approach to build personal networks among like-minded people

By the way, is there anyone from Montenegro here? I'd like to know how the decision to drop the attempted coup case was explained and received by the nation

Somaen fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 20, 2021