Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TLJ is the loving bastion for "The media i consume is activism" and for that alone it deserves so much worse than anything it's ever gotten. I don't think I've even seen Harry Potter brain get this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh word?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nah man it's cool just japing just keep funnelling that money into the mouth of the hell corporation they love you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

It's not just unsalvageably bad, it's a loving cowardly and pathetic movie. Cutting down on Rose Tico's role from what had originally been written is nothing more than a capitulation to racist nazi shitfucks.

Rise of Skywalker is the only Star War that I left the theatre feeling absolutely disgusted with what I saw. The only reason I didn't just walk out was because I was there with a couple of friends, to be honest.

Honestly, the only way that movie can be salvaged in the edit at this point is if it's 3 hours of nothing but people of colour and all lines of dialogue dubbed over with "kill yourselves nazi crybaby fuckfaces" over and over again. At the very least, it'll be an improvement on the utter tripe that we got.

gently caress that loving movie and gently caress JJ Abrams, the nazi-enabling gently caress.

Same. I was ready to walk out of it within the first 20 minutes, but I was seeing it with someone else and stuck it up. Apparently there's a subset of the same lovely nerds who don't know what they want and just keep screaming that gave us Rise of Skywalker in the first place who are now convinced that there's a Snyder Cut of The Rise of Skywalker that's like three and half hours long and is the ultimate key to everything that will make the Sequel Trilogy work and sooth rugburn that is The Last Jedi inside their ragebrains if only Disney had the balls to make release it like Warner Bros. did with Justice League.

I hate Star Wars and people who like Star Wars and people who hate Star Wars.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

I just gotta say this right here from the beginning is an unsalvageably bad idea for a continuous story of big movies.

One of the stories that sticks out was how Johnson had to have JJ panic remake the ending shot of Force Awakens. The Luke reveal was originally going to have him meditating and twirling rocks around and Johnson had to jump in to point out that he was writing Luke as a disgruntled Jedi who'd given up the force. I don't know how you're supposed to really make a trilogy when the visions are that far apart. It was an interesting idea, but not a good one.

Also the funnier thing where they were so sure that Solo was going to be a big hit, and that they'd sell so many pairs of Han's iconic dice. that they bothered everyone to make sure to include them in pivotal shots.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nah man it's cool just japing just keep funnelling that money into the mouth of the hell corporation they love you.

is that what is going on here?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I mean I get not wanting to give disney anymore money in any context but harry potter wormbrains are way more common and insidious than star wars fans whinging about space wizards in my experience.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is why I find it hard to get out of bed in the morning. Why should I do anything if it's just going to benefit a corporation?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BFC posted:

I mean I get not wanting to give disney anymore money in any context but harry potter wormbrains are way more common and insidious than star wars fans whinging about space wizards in my experience.

I might be a dummy but was there ever a huge merchandising block of Death Eater costumes and stuff like there was for Stormtroopers?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

There was a very vocal contingent of the consumption as activism crowd even on this forum, who for a month or so after TLJs release were pretty gung ho on the idea that if you had any criticism of Holdos action whatsoever you were a horrible monster no matter what they were.

This faction died off and shut up pretty quick after the hype period died and people had time to both do rewatches and cool down.

Also the nazi contingent moved on and thus the hackles up factor was removed.

Holdo as written would be another nicholson AFGM in continued time of military service and is a trash character protected by the script.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I might be a dummy but was there ever a huge merchandising block of Death Eater costumes and stuff like there was for Stormtroopers?

The very idea of wizards being inherently superior to normal human beings without magical powers which were tied directly to bloodlines which in turn bestowed unfathomable wealth, power, prestige, privilege and opportunity upon an incredibly select few and that this was portrayed as a good and normal thing in the series' universe was much more insidious than selling toys of plastic space fascist grunt troopers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t give a poo poo but my problem was I couldn’t enjoy the drat movie even irl without someone yelling at me about SJW or whatever the gently caress that it broke my brain and I don’t have any arguments left.

Hate it, fine whatever. We won’t see eye to eye. Not a huge loss.

But holy moly please don’t ever support Gina or hate women for existing. (Not than anyone here is, but since I started this derail it was really about that and RJ’s trilogy making them mad over anyone else)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

is that what is going on here?

I mean, what else is it? The only two positions I ever see are "This thing is terrible because <star wars nerd reasons/wimmenz/ess jay dubs>" or "This thing is amazing because it pisses off those guys". It's just like everything is a big circle of validation through consumption. Or I guess validation through whatever owns the libs/sjws/nerds/whatever? idk but it's such a mess that it all ends up funneled back to the same literal monsters in the end that it's hard to take joy in it because guuuhhhhhh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wasn’t even talking about the last Jedi. I was talking about the RJ trilogy.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I like RJ and wish him luck with having more creative control over his trilogy but I only care about his non-disney backed movies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am way more excited about Knives Out 2 than any Star Wars.

Benoit Blanc is a treasure of a character

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I hope he has a completely different accent and no one notices

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I can't believe this thread is so miserable it even managed to take the fun out of schadenfreude. Christ. Giant asteroid now, please.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

i like star wars

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

i like star wars

BEGONE, SATAN!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe this thread is so miserable it even managed to take the fun out of schadenfreude. Christ. Giant asteroid now, please.

Nah I don’t wanna die because people are cranky on the internet.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

i also like one piece :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

TLJ is the loving bastion for "The media i consume is activism" and for that alone it deserves so much worse than anything it's ever gotten. I don't think I've even seen Harry Potter brain get this bad.

Nah, my point was more that for the marketing angles they want to appeal to, it was a better attempt than what got farted out in Rise of Skywalker rather than calling it earnest activism.

nine-gear crow posted:

Apparently there's a subset of the same lovely nerds who don't know what they want and just keep screaming that gave us Rise of Skywalker in the first place who are now convinced that there's a Snyder Cut of The Rise of Skywalker that's like three and half hours long and is the ultimate key to everything that will make the Sequel Trilogy work and sooth rugburn that is The Last Jedi inside their ragebrains if only Disney had the balls to make release it like Warner Bros. did with Justice League.

This is the first I've heard of this :lol:. It's not even like the movie's just poorly put together from good parts, it's clearly the movie JJ Abrahms wanted to make start-to-finish. And that's what just damns it even worse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They think that George Lucas has recut the film on his own because the evil Kathleen Kennedy kept ruining his vision.

And Disney won’t release it. Or something.

Also they apparently hate Sasha Banks for owning Boba Fett that one time too. Or maybe it’s just that circle. Idk. gently caress em all tbh.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

I have not seen or read one piece, dunno if i should.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

StealthArcher posted:

You should. It's the best

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also there is a Snyder Cut of The Rise of Skywalker out there in the ether, it's called Duel of the Fates and it's and equally large cartwheeling thermobaric rain of train wrecks, just in the opposite direction.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

BEGONE, SATAN!

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

I know it's a big ask but it is very good and you should give it a punt if you're ever bored.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BFC posted:

I know it's a big ask but it is very good and you should give it a punt if you're ever bored.

I am terrified to imagine what level of boredom you'd have to attain to start chipping away at that behemoth.

That said, I have no strong one piece opinions one way or the other, besides being extremely turned off by the art style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

Also there is a Snyder Cut of The Rise of Skywalker out there in the ether, it's called Duel of the Fates and it's and equally large cartwheeling thermobaric rain of train wrecks, just in the opposite direction.

I don’t know about that. It seemed pretty good besides Poe and Rey. Finn’s story arc there rules. He becomes a revolutionary who leads an army of ex stormtroopers to take down other storm troopers on coruscant. There’s some dumb poo poo but it makes up for it for having really awesome poo poo like Rey having a double bladed saber, her blind battle with Kylo and rose actually does something.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I am terrified to imagine what level of boredom you'd have to attain to start chipping away at that behemoth.
it's just like reading a really big book piece meal. Only the book is 63 feet thick.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know about that. It seemed pretty good besides Poe and Rey. Finn’s story arc there rules. He becomes a revolutionary who leads an army of ex stormtroopers to take down other storm troopers on coruscant. There’s some dumb poo poo but it makes up for it for having really awesome poo poo like Rey having a double bladed saber, her blind battle with Kylo and rose actually does something.

If nothing else it sounded like it could have been an actual movie instead of a jumbled reactionary mess.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
RoS is so...spiteful towards TLJ that it destroys its own pacing trying to "rewrite" part 8, the first half of that movie feels like a TV episode, and not as a homage to serials or whatever. TFA is a bit boring and a retread of Episode IV, but at least it's competent, y'know?

TLJ isn't perfect, it's pretty flawed actually, but considering what came afterwards I get the feeling RJ was hamstrung by executive meddling,

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RoS is half spiting Johnson and TLJ and followed by half being "Palpatine survived DS2 and rallied remaining loyalists to a distamt planet to go on a far rim conquering spree coming back decades later to shock doctrine the new Republic." rewritten to "oh god time travel is gonna kill sales and we need eugenics without palpatine directly loving."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TLJ and RoS are both terrible and I can't exactly claim TFA was great, either. I'm not going to sit and ponder the many ways these movies failed, I just can't believe they made Star Wars sequels with no plan from the beginning or any kind of overall plot outline at all. TLJ tried to do something different but I can't praise it for steering away from one cliff and off of another.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I recently saw Looper and was surprised at how good it was. I think I’ll try Knives Out soon.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
knives out is fantastic and i'm kind of okay with it probably being the last movie i'll get to see in theaters in my lifetime

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah my last theater movie was Rise of Skywalker and that’s a regret I’ll carry for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want Dune to come out so I can watch it and enjoy it even as it flops thanks to the pandemic and people who have no clue what kind of films Villeneuve makes.