Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Seedge posted:

New episode: So... were we supposed to recognise the aerospace person? Because I sure didn't.

They're for sure Skrulls. Not only were they a bunch of randos after getting hyped for weeks but the main one said something about "owing" Maria and Monica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

So what's everyone's updated Evan Peters theories?

X-Men Quicksilver but controlled by Agatha, which explains why he's been such a nosey dick the whole time.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
what was the talking when Monica was going into the hex? Was that audio from captain marvel? I couldn’t make it out

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019
From the latest episode:
managed to get a screen grab from the Book. Anyone know a book with what looks like two goat heads?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Been watching wandavision as a byproduct of paying for the mandalorian season 2 and I KILLED SPARKY TOO! is the first thing i’ve legitimately liked in the mcu. Is Agatha a character in the comics or is she an original character do not steal?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

teacup posted:

what was the talking when Monica was going into the hex? Was that audio from captain marvel? I couldn’t make it out

Yeah. Sounded like her mom, Carol and Fury.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Holy poo poo Agatha All Along is one of the finest moments in all of the MCU.

Kathryn Hahn is just having the absolute time of her life mugging for the camera and it's loving incredible.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 19, 2021

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Been watching wandavision as a byproduct of paying for the mandalorian season 2 and I KILLED SPARKY TOO! is the first thing i’ve legitimately liked in the mcu. Is Agatha a character in the comics or is she an original character do not steal?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Agatha_Harkness_(Earth-616)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

BurritoJustice posted:

Very unfortunately not. Would love to see the anti-AOS squad meltdown if that were the case
I think it probably is the Darkhold. There could be any number of reasons why it doesn't look like it does in AoS, up to and including them just not caring enough about AoS :v:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Something is definitely up with the mailman. He had that weird exchange with Agatha in the 60s, that comment about Wanda fixing everything in the 80s and then he gave a weird look when Monica confronted Wanda.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Disappointed that there is actually an evil mastermind secretly controlling the situation but I guess it's not like you couldn't see it coming. I'd much rather watch a superhero having a nervous breakdown than have to her dealing with some cackling villain.

Oh well, at least Kathryn Hahn looks like she's having fun with it

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 19, 2021

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Disappointed that there is actually an evil mastermind secretly controlling the situation but I guess it's not like you couldn't see it coming. I'd much rather watch a superhero having a nervous breakdown than have to her dealing with some cackling villain.

Oh well, at least Kathryn Hahn looks like she's having fun with it

The two might not be mutually exclusive!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Agatha's plan is taking advantage of the fact that Wanda is having a grief-stricken breakdown.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SirSamVimes posted:

Agatha's plan is taking advantage of the fact that Wanda is having a grief-stricken breakdown.

It pretty much has to be, yeah, else there's no meaning to Agatha using "Pietro" to try and find out how Wanda started all this. Agatha pretty much has to be a pawn taking advantage of something or that line of inquiry is pointless.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Dead on Arrival posted:

What that the Darkhold, or just a random spellbook? I remember it was on AoS, but I don't remember what happened to it.

unfortunately we'd know if it was the Darkhold if it had "DARKHOLD" on the cover in big metal letters :pseudo:. Robbie took ot with him to Hell, but it popped up again in Hulu's Runaways

Eau de MacGowan posted:

in the comics she was the Fantastic Four's babysitter (because their son was until recently a virtual god) and became Wanda's teacher

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 19, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

So what's everyone's updated Evan Peters theories?

e: accidentally said Peter Evans who is not an actor and is in fact a celebrity chef and part time Nazi from Australia

theory

For whatever reason Agatha can't bring people back from the dead so she did the next best thing and borrowed an alternate universe version hoping Wanda wouldnt notice too much.

If thats a limit to her powers it would fit with why Pietro was so nosey about how Wanda apparantly can bring people back from the dead.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 19, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

massive spider posted:

theory

For whatever reason Agatha can't bring people back from the dead so she did the next best thing and borrowed an alternate universe version hoping Wanda wouldnt notice too much.

If thats a limit to her powers it would fit with why Pietro was so nosey about how Wanda apparantly can bring people back from the dead.

If that's true then Agatha may be looking to resurrect Ralph, seeing as how she keeps mentioning him but he's never around. She may want to resurrect her kids too, given the "FOR THE CHILDREN" chant in episode two. So she may be going through her own grief breakdown, the same as Wanda.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

JoylessJester posted:

The two might not be mutually exclusive!

Yeah, but I can relate to someone having a grief-driven mental health crisis, I can't really relate to someone being manipulated by a magical supervillain

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, but I can relate to someone having a grief-driven mental health crisis, I can't really relate to someone being manipulated by a magical supervillain

Making it all Wanda means making the person having a grief-driven mental health crisis the villain.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm guessing Agatha will lead to the "Oh your children aren't real, I created them" House of M mind snap moment for the series

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Wow check your privilege

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Making it all Wanda means making the person having a grief-driven mental health crisis the villain.

That depends on how you tell the story.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Snooper's gonna snoop

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That ending was absolutely incredible and oh my God "And I killed Sparky too! :haw:" followed by that cackle :vince:

The kid (Tommy?) saying,"You're quiet on the inside" was also deeply unsettling.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I remember doing an essay once on how a surefire way to get a character to hit as "properly evil" and remove a degree of ambiguity is seemingly needless violence to animals. It also helps stop people from associating/empathizing with a villain even if they are "evil" because people tend to have a different viceral reaction to violence against animals (particularly domesticated) versus violence against humans. I think I remember calling it "kicking the dog"

I feel that might fit?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Deeply disappointed with this direction. I guess I’ll watch the finale but I can’t help but feel this show wasted its potential.

Reveal was fun though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I'm assuming "Pietro" was really just Ralph playing a role at Agatha's direction.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

Deeply disappointed with this direction. I guess I’ll watch the finale but I can’t help but feel this show wasted its potential.

Reveal was fun though.

What's disappointing about this?

So...during the advertisement this week Was the nexus symbol the bifrost symbol?
Also, I love the transition from Modern Family to modern horror with the lighting and letterboxing. They certainly get ambiance down.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m open to being wrong about Agnes, but, honestly, I’m still not 100% convinced. It seems like such a jarring tonal and thematic left-turn to have there suddenly be a campy, mugging villain to the story. It kind of short-circuits the heart of the show. I think Agnes’ little ditty might be Wanda latching onto forcing Agnes into the villain role because that’s an easy answer and absolves her of any blame? Billy saying Agnes is “quiet inside” kind of makes me wonder if Agnes even exists at all, and isn’t somehow, like, a tangible expression of Wanda’s subconscious or something.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's unfortunately likely that blame is pushed onto Agatha and Hayward, and the latter is particularly disappointing. But there is only so far that the MCU is willing to break from the mould and I think they're just lampshading it really hard with the musical number.

Wanda is definitely choosing to keep the illusion up and is therefore still complicit however

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I’m open to being wrong about Agnes, but, honestly, I’m still not 100% convinced. It seems like such a jarring tonal and thematic left-turn to have there suddenly be a campy, mugging villain to the story. It kind of short-circuits the heart of the show. I think Agnes’ little ditty might be Wanda latching onto forcing Agnes into the villain role because that’s an easy answer and absolves her of any blame? Billy saying Agnes is “quiet inside” kind of makes me wonder if Agnes even exists at all, and isn’t somehow, like, a tangible expression of Wanda’s subconscious or something.

The first thing that jumps to mind is that Wanda doesn't know that Vision talked to Agatha and Herb in the 70s or that he talked to her in the car. Plus, they explicitly show Agatha in the director's seat. She's the one who's been editing the version that Darcy was watching. It seems like she's going to be the Kristof to Wanda's Truman but that doesn't mean Wanda is absolved. She's expanded the Hex so she presumably is the one controlling it, which means she's the one holding everyone hostage.

BurritoJustice posted:

I think it's unfortunately likely that blame is pushed onto Agatha and Hayward, and the latter is particularly disappointing. But there is only so far that the MCU is willing to break from the mould and I think they're just lampshading it really hard with the musical number.

Wanda is definitely choosing to keep the illusion up and is therefore still complicit however

It seems more like that Agatha and maybe Mephisto or Nightmare or whoever are Wanda's villain but Hayward is Monica's. It's not MonicaVision but it does feel like they're Black Panther-in-Civil War-ing her here.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 19, 2021

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
So the takeaway about Pietro is that he wasn't from an alternative universe or whatever but they just cast Evan Peters as some random mind controlled guy who got speed powers to gently caress with us?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mooseontheloose posted:

What's disappointing about this?

So...during the advertisement this week Was the nexus symbol the bifrost symbol?
Also, I love the transition from Modern Family to modern horror with the lighting and letterboxing. They certainly get ambiance down.

I've always viewed the theorizing about a chessmaster controlling everything from the background to be more about absolving Wanda of culpability than about thematic consistency. Having it be "Agnes all along" lets both the show and the broader franchise argue that Wanda was not responsible for the worst aspects of Westview, avoiding uncomfortable questions that might make audiences question her inclusion as a hero in the broader franchise.

WandaVision's need to fit inside the MCU (both in terms of the world and the studios plans for it) have always been the weakest parts of it. It isn't surprising that the writers went this route but I cannot help but feel there was a more elegant, complex way to explain the Maximoff Anomaly in a way that didn't undermine the show's central meditation on grief.

E: I kind of expected the show to go this direction with how much it has coddled the main character. It's hard to go more than five minutes without some character reminding the audience that Wanda really loves Vision or what a good person she is. The only people who dislike Wanda or question her motives are clearly villainous psychopaths.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 19, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Agatha cackling with a mimosa in the front yard while hexing "Pietro" is iconic

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Bedshaped posted:

So the takeaway about Pietro is that he wasn't from an alternative universe or whatever but they just cast Evan Peters as some random mind controlled guy who got speed powers to gently caress with us?

Yeah, just an easter egg.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah, just an easter egg.

If that was the case, they wouldn't put him in the shows first post-credits scene.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's literally the Nexus. It's a gateway to alternate realities

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Infinitum posted:

It's literally the Nexus. It's a gateway to alternate realities

So...Man-Thing?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Probably rebranded to suit MCU needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Did anyone catch everything that was said to Monica when she was going through the wall? I got the last part from Captain Marvel saying how strong she was, but the rest was hard to make out.

My guess is her hearing Carol say how strong she was allowed her to somehow will herself to have powers like Captain Marvel while the wall of reality was altering her. She somehow focused what it was doing and gave it a direction to alter her. Thats right when her eyes changed color and she pulled it all together.