Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Once you get past the Joker terminally online edgelord bullshit, the concern wasn’t necessarily out of left field - the movie is (charitably) a pastiche or (honestly) a ripoff of Taxi Driver, which did play some role in the attempted assassination of Reagan.

It was totally overblown, but not surprising that people might make the association.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Joker owns

the nerdy incels.

Not so much

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Joker will age badly because some day someone will realize how disgusting it is to portray mentally ill people as ticking timebombs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Alhazred posted:

Joker will age badly because some day someone will realize how disgusting it is to portray mentally ill people as ticking timebombs.

ah didn't think about this

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bobjr posted:

At one point they did mention they didn't want it to be Deadliest Weapon instead of Deadliest Warrior, so whatever their combat simulator program was, they started introducing variables like "loyalty" and "loves the thrill of battle".
They also had an episode about the bloodthirsty maniac Napoleon versus patriotic good guy Washington.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Alhazred posted:

They also had an episode about the bloodthirsty maniac Napoleon versus patriotic good guy Washington.

Surly it should have been Wellington vs Napoleon .

If it's to be Napoleon vs Washington, Napoleon won right?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Oh, I remember that one. The tests were also thoroughly biased in order to get Washington the win, because of course they were. :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

letthereberock posted:

A Knights Tale is an intentionally silly movie.

Is it? The only times the movie is actually funny is when Ledger's wacky sidekicks is involved and not when Ledger is going to the prom to invent a new dance or whatever.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe we find out Dalmatians murdered her parents?

Or she is actually someone who is really disgusted by stupid "breed standards" and how pure bred dogs of pretty much any breed are inbred abominations that shouldn't exist, so she decides to start by removing Dalmatians from the gene pool and hey, might as well get a sweet coat out of the deal?

Wow more like puppy prejudice

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Is it? The only times the movie is actually funny is when Ledger's wacky sidekicks is involved and not when Ledger is going to the prom to invent a new dance or whatever.

Maybe “silly” wasn’t the right word, but it was definitely deliberately anachronistic. I was just contrasting it to films that seem to be trying to authentically portray a specific time period but end up using tropes that make no sense for that period.

Then again, Knights Tale is a movie I saw once almost 20 years ago and though I remember liking it at the time I barely remember anything about it beyond the opening We Will Rock you scene which owns.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

Am the only person who legitimately liked Joker?

The movie that made a billion dollars and was hugely successful by every other metric as well?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Perestroika posted:

Oh, I remember that one. The tests were also thoroughly biased in order to get Washington the win, because of course they were. :allears:

They’ve done that with almost every American contestant I think, except maybe the KGB vs. Green Beret.

There was one that was North Korean Soldiers vs Navy Seals or another military branch that honestly felt like an episode of “we should invade them because we’ll kick their rear end in seconds”

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alaois posted:

the best thing about the joker was all the people who were absolutely, dead-on convinced that the movie was going to cause a rash of movie theater spree shootings

tbh it was pretty progressive for them to finally think this for a movie aimed at white people.

Straight Outta Compton's premire had tons of theaters hire police as extra security and was the subject of news stories expecting a bunch of gang violence and then shocked when it didn't happen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sounds like having all the police prevented the gang violence. Working as intended.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lately I've been remembering how popular this shirt was in the mid-2000s among certain circles and I just laugh and laugh

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

lately I've been remembering how popular this shirt was in the mid-2000s among certain circles and I just laugh and laugh

That's from the webcomic PvP. Despite them having retired it in 2010, for some reason it's still in their banner:

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Feb 19, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

there was a bunch of poo poo about the dude who shot up the theater in Aurora being a Joker fanboy and how the Joker movie is going to embolden incels and drive them to shoot up more theaters to appease their idol or some poo poo

Didn't he also dress up as the joker for the shooting? I guess if that particular guy was still at large it would be reasonable to think he might shoot up a Joker screening :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Didn't he also dress up as the joker for the shooting? I guess if that particular guy was still at large it would be reasonable to think he might shoot up a Joker screening :v:

He dyed his hair red, which seems like screwing up the most basic part of dressing like the Joker. He also had like an Eraserhead cut, which also speaks to his bad judgment along with the choice to shoot a bunch of people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think he just had dyed hair and somehow that morphed into him having been dressed like the Joker.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He dyed his hair red, which seems like screwing up the most basic part of dressing like the Joker. He also had like an Eraserhead cut, which also speaks to his bad judgment along with the choice to shoot a bunch of people.

You best not be knocking Eraserhead :argh:

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'
Anne Robinson, best known in the US for NBC’s The Weakest Link, has recently signed a contract with Channel 4 to present Countdown, the UK’s longest-running gameshow.

Some people are looking into her history on the Weakest Link and discovering that her put-downs weren’t as pithy or lighthearted as people remember. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiApNRvZbGI

I mean, I’m aware that Anne was playing a ghastly character and impelling the contestants to toughen up and bite back, but that’s a very awkward line of questioning for a daytime TV quiz.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

"If Washington had had a Dodge Charger, as seen in this recent advertisement, our system predicts he would have driven it right over the Corsican Ogre and done donuts on his body"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sii_BR-Y6FI

The fight choreography has not aged well.

This is probably one of the better ones too

bobjr has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Feb 19, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

knife_of_justice posted:

Anne Robinson, best known in the US for NBC’s The Weakest Link, has recently signed a contract with Channel 4 to present Countdown, the UK’s longest-running gameshow.

Some people are looking into her history on the Weakest Link and discovering that her put-downs weren’t as pithy or lighthearted as people remember. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiApNRvZbGI

I mean, I’m aware that Anne was playing a ghastly character and impelling the contestants to toughen up and bite back, but that’s a very awkward line of questioning for a daytime TV quiz.

People loving loved watching her mock and debase the people on that show when it aired. It wasnt sold as pithy or light hearted it was sold as idiots making mistakes and getting torn apart for it.

There's probably like 6 levels of decision makers above her that explicitly supported and encouraged what she was doing or it would've never made it to air, so giving her poo poo for it isn't really fair.

Frankie Boyle had a similar dynamic on Mock the Week. He said some extremely off color stuff, and was the target of many of the complaints, but tons of people at the network, form censors, lawyers, producers, execs on up were all fine with airing what he said for the purposes of making money. It's hard to really to place sole blame on the person who was hired and encouraged to be "outrageous" by the people signing their paychecks.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Feb 19, 2021

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

pentyne posted:

There's probably like 6 levels of decision makers above her that explicitly supported and encouraged what she was doing or it would've never made it to air, so giving her poo poo for it isn't really fair.

Why not? She chose to do this.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

pentyne posted:

People loving loved watching her mock and debase the people on that show when it aired. It wasnt sold as pithy or light hearted it was sold as idiots making mistakes and getting torn apart for it.

Frankie Boyle had a similar dynamic on Mock the Week. He said some extremely off color stuff, and was the target of many of the complaints, but tons of people at the network, form censors, lawyers, producers, execs on up were all fine with airing what he said for the purposes of making money. It's hard to really to place sole blame on the person who was hired and encouraged to be "outrageous" by the people signing their paychecks.

It's plenty fair to give her poo poo for it. It's just maybe not comprehensive to give ONLY her poo poo for it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

knife_of_justice posted:

Jesus loving christ. I remember her being about Judge Judy levels of mean/snippy, but the response to "I'm a single mom to three great boys" should be some version of "That's nice," or if you want to go meaner, "Sucks to be you." Not "So you're on benefits, huh? Are you a lesbian?"

The US host was much nicer which made it less fun to watch, but at least he didn't grill a woman on her sexual past (...that I can remember).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

indiscriminately posted:

Why not? She chose to do this.

A personality playing a role is different from someone actually being a piece of poo poo in real life. If she was saying those things outside of her job as "be a mean bitch to these people" then it's a different story.

We don't cancel actors who portray neo-nazis and white supremacists.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

hyperhazard posted:

The US host was much nicer which made it less fun to watch, but at least he didn't grill a woman on her sexual past (...that I can remember).

That was a Family Feud host.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

bobjr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sii_BR-Y6FI

The fight choreography has not aged well.

This is probably one of the better ones too

That one had the javelin test with a guy so beefy he probably could’ve thrown a plain broom handle clean through a side of beef, let alone a spear. That was the one redeeming feature of the show, really - watching stuff go slice or splat.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

pentyne posted:

A personality playing a role is different from someone actually being a piece of poo poo in real life. If she was saying those things outside of her job as "be a mean bitch to these people" then it's a different story.

These other people aren't actors. Maybe a better analogue is an offensive insult comic like Andrew Dice Clay.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

pentyne posted:

I'd argue it's a little different when you're playing yourself as a character. Paris Hilton is still known as a ditzy entitled bitch even after a bunch of evidence came out about her abuse as a teenager. Gordon Ramsay seems to be a decent guy and he's done a few shows where he isn't a full time rear end, but he's still best known for being an angry jerk.

No idea what Anne Robinson is like is real life. She could be a lovely person.

indiscriminately posted:

These other people aren't actors. Maybe a better analogue is an offensive insult comic like Andrew Dice Clay.

I think it's more like the difference between Sacha Baron Cohen vs Simon Cowell. Cohen plays rear end in a top hat characters, Cowell plays an rear end in a top hat persona.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
We had someone in the UK recently in court for something adjacent to this? I don’t remember who, but I think it was to do with her tax situation, and although her job was talking about current affairs and interviewing people, she classified herself as an entertainer rather than a journalist.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Torquemada posted:

We had someone in the UK recently in court for something adjacent to this? I don’t remember who, but I think it was to do with her tax situation, and although her job was talking about current affairs and interviewing people, she classified herself as an entertainer rather than a journalist.

Lorraine Kelly maybe? It's something like she's not herself, she's playing a persona who just happens to also be called Lorraine Kelly or some poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Alex Jones defense

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

I'd argue it's a little different when you're playing yourself as a character. Paris Hilton is still known as a ditzy entitled bitch even after a bunch of evidence came out about her abuse as a teenager. Gordon Ramsay seems to be a decent guy and he's done a few shows where he isn't a full time rear end, but he's still best known for being an angry jerk.

No idea what Anne Robinson is like is real life. She could be a lovely person.

I think it's more like the difference between Sacha Baron Cohen vs Simon Cowell. Cohen plays rear end in a top hat characters, Cowell plays an rear end in a top hat persona.

I guess the way I measure this stuff is by asking what effect it had on one's society, in retrospect. If you've done damage to your society for a paycheque then once that's realized you probably should step away and live outside the public sphere, as the vast majority of people do. I remember this show, it was mean-spirited, it was a (minor) force to normalize unkindness. In this clip the host is reinforcing a harmful welfare queen stereotype and shaming a single mother. It looks bad in retrospect and it was bad at the time too, even though that wouldn't have been clear to me then. Anne Robinson shouldn't be cast out of society but it's probably best she not be a public face again, in my opinion.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

hyperhazard posted:

Gordon Ramsay seems to be a decent guy and he's done a few shows where he isn't a full time rear end, but he's still best known for being an angry jerk.

After having avoided Hell's Kitchen for all the years it's been on, I suddenly got hooked on it this season, so my husband and I have ben watching through older seasons in between the current episodes. We started with season 4 and man, was 2008 a different time. There's an undercurrent of meanness and sexism both in Ramsay's comments and among the contestants themselves* that just doesn't seem to be there in the current season. There was just that like decade and a half of time in the US after 9/11 and right up until we were like "Oh poo poo Trump is happening" where this kind of meanness *was* the punchline, and it was everywhere- movies, reality TV, traditionally scripted TV, etc, etc. People seemed to really be on board with the phenomenon since we figured we were living in a post-sexist, post-racist world.

Of course that last part is just speculation on my part but I really do genuinely appreciate the trend in media in the past few years to swing back toward situational humor or like, jerks being served their comeuppance rather than "haha laugh at the fat guy, it's funny because even though he's a man, he has breasts. haha, laugh at the lesbian, it's funny because even though she's a woman, she isn't sexually attracted to men."

*I know a lot of this is both scripting and editing to make people look meaner/dumber/worse than they actually were but like, switching from the current season back to the old season was like plunging into a cold pool, and then switching back each week feels absurdly heartwarming considering the appeal of the show is still "professional cooks loving poo poo up under stress."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

I feel that someone calmly and rationally deciding to treat people like poo poo because its profitable is just as bad, possibly worse, than someone who unthinkingly treats people like poo poo because they're an rear end in a top hat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

sweeperbravo posted:

After having avoided Hell's Kitchen for all the years it's been on, I suddenly got hooked on it this season, so my husband and I have ben watching through older seasons in between the current episodes. We started with season 4 and man, was 2008 a different time. There's an undercurrent of meanness and sexism both in Ramsay's comments and among the contestants themselves* that just doesn't seem to be there in the current season. There was just that like decade and a half of time in the US after 9/11 and right up until we were like "Oh poo poo Trump is happening" where this kind of meanness *was* the punchline, and it was everywhere- movies, reality TV, traditionally scripted TV, etc, etc. People seemed to really be on board with the phenomenon since we figured we were living in a post-sexist, post-racist world.

Of course that last part is just speculation on my part but I really do genuinely appreciate the trend in media in the past few years to swing back toward situational humor or like, jerks being served their comeuppance rather than "haha laugh at the fat guy, it's funny because even though he's a man, he has breasts. haha, laugh at the lesbian, it's funny because even though she's a woman, she isn't sexually attracted to men."

*I know a lot of this is both scripting and editing to make people look meaner/dumber/worse than they actually were but like, switching from the current season back to the old season was like plunging into a cold pool, and then switching back each week feels absurdly heartwarming considering the appeal of the show is still "professional cooks loving poo poo up under stress."

Season 1 was the worst for that because the finalists only got there through being petty backstabbers, neither of them deserved their own restaurant. The nadir of that season actually made me respect Gordon more because it showed how thoughtful he was.

Basically season 1 has this really nice single mother who was very likeable overall, and because of her many children she was very good at making food stretch, so one of the challenges late into the show that required that she dominated because everyone else tried to be fancy and she kept it simple and just had the best item as a result. Then she won a prize that got the other contestants really jealous, so they literally conspired to deliberately gently caress her over and stop communicating with her when she was in the Garnish station, intentionally sabotaging her because you can't DO garnish without communication. Of course she was the worst performing person that night and was called forward for elimination - however Gordon asked her a very important question - "Did you feel you had enough support in that kitchen tonight?" If she had answered no, and thrown her teammates under the bus she probably would have lasted, but she *didn't*. Gordon asked her at least twice, because it's very obvious that he noticed their sabotage, and he was giving her a chance to save herself, but she didn't, she refused to stoop to their level. As a result, while she left the show, she did get given a nice consolation prize (can't remember exactly what, may have been a scholarship to a culinary school) so that her career in dining wouldn't just stop there. Because of that bullshit every other episode I was like "You don't deserve to be here, you are a petty piece of poo poo who can't be trusted to manage their own emotions, let alone a michelin-star restaurant."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
iirc it's an act and the insults are scripted or pre-prepared (I think there are even bloopers out there?). There were also breaks between rounds where she'd chat with the contestants more cordially.
It still hasn't aged well but they aren't at least "real" insults.