Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that always makes me curious, is shepard basically a terminator in 2-3? like organic with a cyperskeleton?

sorta? i dont think Shepard's entire skeleton was replaced, but they are like 60% cybernetics now, no? it is a convenient way to handwave away all the overthetop badass stuff they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
A couple of your mid ME2 combat upgrades are just casual unbreakable bones and bulletproof skin modifications

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah a close read of all the upgrades reveals that Shepard has become some kind of loving Terminator, which is why in one of the best moments of the series early in ME3 you ambush some Cerberus mooks and one of them goes "holy poo poo it's SHEPARD"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's that time in 2 where Shepard downs the krogan equivalent to everclear/speed boat varnish stripper and just passes out instead of instantly dying like any other human.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Argh i really regret spending millions of dollars turning someone into an unstoppable living weapon, i cannot believe that backfired on me - tim

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Argh i really regret spending millions of dollars turning someone into an unstoppable living weapon, i cannot believe that backfired on me - tim

let me resurrect a hero -- a bloody icon! -- who can convince anybody of anything and give her a cruiser and access to some of my best operatives

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The flavor text for the Widowmaker sniper rifle you get on the Collector ship mentions that its an anti-material rifle and firing it without the proper bracing will dislocate your shoulder. Shepard proceeds to casually fire however they drat well please, so yeah, they've had some upgrades.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

*billions

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I can surely control the reapers after this

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well I couldn't stop myself and now instead of waiting until May for the Legendary Edition I started up a full trilogy playthrough on my xbone. Took Wrex with me to see Fist and we're gonna be best space buds again :rms:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Sydin posted:

2. Ditch mineral scanning and crafting, again nobody cares and it just wastes time. You either pick up upgrades or weapons during missions or buy them from hubs, and once you have it you just have it. No crafting blueprints or making sure you have 25000000 palladium or inventory juggling, you just get the thing. Hide stuff off the beaten path in missions to encourage exploration.
Mining can go but there should be some reason to fly around in your spaceship and “explore” the galaxy, and the flavor text around the planets was a nice touch that made the game feel bigger

Plus the flying around music and scanning sfx were chill

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

let me resurrect a hero -- a bloody icon! -- who can convince anybody of anything and give her a cruiser and access to some of my best operatives

Normandy SR-2 is still classed as a frigate.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Doctor Nutt posted:

Well I couldn't stop myself and now instead of waiting until May for the Legendary Edition I started up a full trilogy playthrough on my xbone. Took Wrex with me to see Fist and we're gonna be best space buds again :rms:

Oh man its not out til May? I was in the mood for getting sick nasty with garrus, havent replayed 2 or 3 since release but i think i can finally forgive the biohat ending after ten years.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like how proud of everyone from 1 Wrex is in 2 and 3.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Oh man its not out til May? I was in the mood for getting sick nasty with garrus, havent replayed 2 or 3 since release but i think i can finally forgive the biohat ending after ten years.

The only consolation is that it's my birthday month so I get Mass Effect for my birthday. :toot:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All those billions of dollars and they still couldn't make the Normandy actually turn invisible.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

bobjr posted:

I do like how proud of everyone from 1 Wrex is in 2 and 3.

“Takes me back to the old days. Us against the unknown, killing it with huge guns. Good times.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

All those billions of dollars and they still couldn't make the Normandy actually turn invisible.

I love how ME1 tries to play all hard sci-fi and is like "real space battles aren't close range pew pew poo poo, they take place over vast distances and the Normandy would never be close enough to an enemy ship to actually be seen by it so the stealth system is perfect!" and then the very end of the game is a big close range pew pew battle with Sovereign, as is every other battle in the game from that point onward.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
2 and 3 are mostly garbage. The majority of the story is really stupid. They should have ended the plot line of the reapers after 1. The man villains were billions of years away without the tools to get back to the galaxy. They should have gone into being a specter more, gone into Cerberus impact to humanity/xeno relations.

EA simply isn’t a creative company, they don’t create imaginative games. All of the magic of the first mass effect was sucked out when BioWare was bought by EA. It’s immediately obvious when you start the game in 2.

EA is satan and any new titles they make using mass effect will surely suck rear end.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:eyepop:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

beautiful

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

2 and 3 are mostly garbage. The majority of the story is really stupid. They should have ended the plot line of the reapers after 1. The man villains were billions of years away without the tools to get back to the galaxy. They should have gone into being a specter more, gone into Cerberus impact to humanity/xeno relations.

EA simply isn’t a creative company, they don’t create imaginative games. All of the magic of the first mass effect was sucked out when BioWare was bought by EA. It’s immediately obvious when you start the game in 2.

EA is satan and any new titles they make using mass effect will surely suck rear end.

Yes but have you considered that the first game was paid for by M$ and thus the series has never actually had any artistic credibility whatsoever?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how ME1 tries to play all hard sci-fi and is like "real space battles aren't close range pew pew poo poo, they take place over vast distances and the Normandy would never be close enough to an enemy ship to actually be seen by it so the stealth system is perfect!" and then the very end of the game is a big close range pew pew battle with Sovereign, as is every other battle in the game from that point onward.

It's kind of the one of the funnier things about ME1. Biotics and omni-tools were a victim of the same kinda thinking. In ME1, the omni-tool is just this tricorder equivalent with some fancy little tools to help people out doing repairs. Then, in ME2, it can shoot fireballs and freeze people and, in ME3, even become a loving laser sword. In ME1, biotics are basically pretty limited - you can push things, you can pull other things. Fancy telekinetics. Then it basically becomes Space Magic over the next two games, all lasers and explosions and teleporting.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Shamus, is that you?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Pouring billions of dollars of superscience into a project only to have it turn around and kill everyone involved is the Cerberus MO, they couldn't just mess with tradition! God the sheer scope of how ridiculous Cerberus is just hurts to think about. What if, we take a homicidal AI that'll likely kill us all and fuse it with another homicidal AI that's way more technically advanced that wants to kill us all and that can indoctrinate people with exposure, AND THEN give it control over a stealth ship that can go anywhere in the galaxy. And then fuse it with even MORE Reaper tech. And then put it in an body based off of Reaper tech. All of which turns out way better than any of their other projects.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shepard. A Cerberus cell was tasked with running experiments to see if it were possible to control the rachni. Unfortunately, they got loose, *takes drag from cigarette* and started killing all our guys.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Shepard. A Cerberus cell was tasked with testing the efficacy of wearing blenders as gloves. They all died. *takes drag from cigarette* That's it. I just thought you should know.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Shepard. Two weeks ago, a Cerberus cell was tasked with determining how Thresher Maws reacted to the presence of other lifeforms. Unfortunately, it appears that the experiment has exceeded our expectations *takes drag from cigarette* and we've lost contact with the entire team.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Folks, I need to let you in on a little secret I figured out playing Mass Effect today: Mass Effect is still pretty lit

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also, maybe this makes me a sicko or something but drat I love the planet surveryin' in the first game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Horizon Burning posted:

Shepard. Two weeks ago, a Cerberus cell was tasked with determining how Thresher Maws reacted to the presence of other lifeforms. Unfortunately, it appears that the experiment has exceeded our expectations *takes drag from cigarette* and we've lost contact with the entire team.

Funky Valentine posted:

Shepard. A Cerberus cell was tasked with running experiments to see if it were possible to control the rachni. Unfortunately, they got loose, *takes drag from cigarette* and started killing all our guys.

Sally posted:

Shepard. A Cerberus cell was tasked with testing the efficacy of wearing blenders as gloves. They all died. *takes drag from cigarette* That's it. I just thought you should know.

Incidentally, searching for that comic was how I realized that Three Panel Soul has been going since 2006, which is a big ol' oof if you know what I mean.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

1stGear posted:

Incidentally, searching for that comic was how I realized that Three Panel Soul has been going since 2006, which is a big ol' oof if you know what I mean.

The best thing to come out of the Mass Effect franchise was all of the comics making fun of it. Inc and especially the comics from the ME3 thread here on SA.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sally posted:

sorta? i dont think Shepard's entire skeleton was replaced, but they are like 60% cybernetics now, no? it is a convenient way to handwave away all the overthetop badass stuff they do

"When they brought you in here, you were little more than meat and tubes. You were as dead as dead can be." - A thing Jacob tells you within the first 15 minutes of Mass Effect 2.

And then they make it seem like it's a huge revelation that Shepard was partially rebuilt with reaper tech in ME3 like um yeah duh.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

My favorite bit is some codex entry in ME1 talking about how when you’re attacking a fleet around a planet positioning is extremely important because some shots will inevitably miss and then you can kiss goodbye to whatever you wanted to have on the planet behind the fleet. And then... (3:39) https://youtu.be/tLlAObjR-gs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only reason Shepard doesn't break their neck and skull headbutting Uvenk is that they're half made of steel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

My favorite bit is some codex entry in ME1 talking about how when you’re attacking a fleet around a planet positioning is extremely important because some shots will inevitably miss and then you can kiss goodbye to whatever you wanted to have on the planet behind the fleet. And then... (3:39) https://youtu.be/tLlAObjR-gs

To wit,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

1stGear posted:

funny but...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pattonesque posted:

yeah a close read of all the upgrades reveals that Shepard has become some kind of loving Terminator, which is why in one of the best moments of the series early in ME3 you ambush some Cerberus mooks and one of them goes "holy poo poo it's SHEPARD"

I always liked the symmetry with Saren - by the time you're about to go through the O4 relay, you're basically a rogue Spectre chock full of cybernetic implants of dubious origin, ignoring the council to do what you think is best for the greater good, and allied with the Geth. And later you gain Krogan support by ensuring a cure for the genophage.

You follow in his footsteps 90% of the way.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Control ending players: sure, every other idea TIM has ever had has been terrible, but I'm sure this time will be different!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Despite the name, Control has absolutely nothing in common with what TIM was trying to do

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TIM wanted to dominate the Reapers, the Control ending is effectively Shepard becoming the Reaper AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Does anyone have the blue ending comic where reapershep is drinking a space margarita while Harbinger is rebuilding a mass relay?