Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

we all thought watson would die the second he took the field

Residual fears after seeing what happened to RG3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No it took 3 games and an all time lockeroom meltdown for people to realize that something was horribly wrong.

What was the meltdown?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SKULL.GIF posted:

What was the meltdown?

He had just played the single worst game I have ever seen from any quarterback (before or since), and completed melted down at a reporter in the locker room.

Junior Seau had to come in and grab him and yank him away from the cameras.

The team then suspended him for conduct detrimental and he made some half-assed apology that he wrote on a card then tossed the card in full view of the cameras.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

He was 1 of 15 for 4 yards and 2 INTs that game

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

nah posted:

He was 1 of 15 for 4 yards and 2 INTs that game

Two fumbles also

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

He had actually won his first two starts and played well. But then that game three happened and it completely broke him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

we all thought watson would die the second he took the field

I didn’t think he’d die, I was just stupid and bought into the throwing velocity thing and assumed and would get picked apart by NFL quality dbs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I didn’t think he’d die, I was just stupid and bought into the throwing velocity thing and assumed and would get picked apart by NFL quality dbs.

Same

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

to this day i don't understand how vince wasn't an NFL superstar, he was the best college football player i have ever seen

He was a nfl superstar

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Remember when some people thought that Tim Tebow would be a good NFL QB?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

did anyone think that other than josh mcdaniels

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

did anyone think that other than josh mcdaniels

Skip Bayless probably.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, was he capable of reading an NFL defense? Did he have to do anything like that at Texas or could he just dominate every game through sheer talent and force of will against players who were children compared to him?

His wonderlic thing is a gag for a reason.

You seem like you're really good at hindsight but what about foresight?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Doltos posted:

You seem like you're really good at hindsight but what about foresight?

Mac Jones is not an NFL level QB.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mac Jones is not an NFL level QB.

My prediction is that Mac Jones is the guy the commentators spend all of Day 2 talking about being surprised he's still on the board. This year's Jake Fromm.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My hot take is that whichever team selects the most OL in this class will win the draft.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

R.D. Mangles posted:

to this day i don't understand how vince wasn't an NFL superstar, he was the best college football player i have ever seen

He would have been a superstar in today's era. If Lamar Jackson can be MVP, only braindead coaching could have stopped Vince Young.

Yes I am a Texas Longhorns fan, why do you ask?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Tom Sellout posted:

He would have been a superstar in today's era. If Lamar Jackson can be MVP, only braindead coaching could have stopped Vince Young.

Yes I am a Texas Longhorns fan, why do you ask?

well who was his coach, no doubt some renowned leader of men

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

R.D. Mangles posted:

There was some nfl films doc a while back about Young/Leinert where they both openly admitted they didn’t put as much time and effort into the pros as they could have

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

5k a week at cheescake factory, 600$ shots of cognac, this picture

Kull the Conqueror posted:

There was some nfl films doc a while back about Young/Leinert where they both openly admitted they didn’t put as much time and effort into the pros as they could have

Which one of these guys is not hitting the gym

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Vince was on the cover of Madden before he started a single game in the NFL. He was doomed from the start.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Vince was on the Madden cover after winning Rookie of the Year and making the Pro Bowl in 2006.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Hook em horns

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Josh Allen thing also begs the question of “has their ever been a worse college QB that turned out to be a good pro”?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I think Allen needs a few more years before we can safely say he doesn't suck. Rushing to judgement after one good season is how everyone goes drat what happened to Wentz

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Nodoze posted:

I think Allen needs a few more years before we can safely say he doesn't suck. Rushing to judgement after one good season is how everyone goes drat what happened to Wentz

This is where I am with Herbert too.

No one can take away his rookie year tho

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Vince was on the cover of Madden before he started a single game in the NFL. He was doomed from the start.

I have that madden on my computer so I can play as either Rex or Orton depending on the mood.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

Josh Allen is the answer but I'll also put forward Mark Sanchez. I was really wrong about Watson and Rosen. I also refuse to be wrong about Kyler Murray and say he's a bad checkdown QB.

I think I hated Herbert more than Allen--I'd have to look at last year's thread to really determine it. I remember thinking that the scary thing about Herbert was that he was showing Allen-type error (missing guys by 10 yards deep, even on a slant) without the excuse that he's throwing to future UPS drivers like Allen was. Allen was even more tools-y, but it really can't be understated how insanely different he looks now compared to at entry. Whoever is working with him helped him fix his wrist enough to spin the ball and avoid the weird gyro motion he used to get on deep balls, and he's much better about setting his feet. Herbert's feet got better too, particularly with how he's stepping into things and timing his release in conjunction with them. It's all just further proof that you absolutely can change form if guys work on it long enough, provided they have the minimum competency to work on the change.

Sanchez though...Sanchez feels like a 2003 top QB prospect where none of us realized how far the game had gotten away from that. Really every USC QB between Palmer and Darnold was the same dude who ran the west coast offense/proto-Kiffin spread to varying ability levels, usually based on processing speed (high: Leinart, low:Wittek) or tools (high: Sanchez, low: Leinart).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Josh Allen thing also begs the question of “has their ever been a worse college QB that turned out to be a good pro”?
Kurt Warner was trash at pretty much all competitive levels until he got to the Rams at 27. He's in the Hall.
Matt Ryan wasn't a particularly good college QB and was barely recruited out of high school. He went 3rd overall.
Matt Cassell never started a game in college.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Kurt Warner was trash at pretty much all competitive levels until he got to the Rams at 27. He's in the Hall.
Matt Ryan wasn't a particularly good college QB and was barely recruited out of high school. He went 3rd overall.

Matt Ryan wasn’t like a college legend or anything but he was really good at BC, especially his last year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bart Starr threw for 1 touchdown and 9 interceptions his senior year at Alabama. It was the one-platoon days, but everybody thought so highly of him the Packers didn't get him until the 17th round.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Matt Ryan wasn’t like a college legend or anything but he was really good at BC, especially his last year.

Ryan was being really hyped that year as a prospect, and as a potential Falcons pick. I remember him and Brian Kevin Challenger pulling off an upset that year and knowing in the moment that he was going to be good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

If only he had kept that streak going.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I remember him being the only actual 1st round QB prospect in a year when the Falcons desperately wanted to erase Michael Vick. Flacco in the late-1st was seen as a huge reach. He was "pro-ready" because of his system but had a weak arm and a ton of interceptions.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ryan was completely overhyped and made me hate him. Leinart and Young were college superstar legends that both went to the NFL and didn't try at all. Young was definitely talented and didn't try at all then flamed out. Leinart always sucked rear end and was a nascent Mark Sanchez.

Looking back on QBs of the last 20 years I don't think any were particularly overhyped on the same level as Matt Ryan besides Sanchez, Leinart, Quinn, and Manziel. The egregiously overhyped guys like Geno Smith, Jimmy Clausen, Christian Hackenberg, Connor Cook, Matt Barkley, Brock Osweiler, Pat White, and Brian Brohm appropriately fell out of the first round despite non stop dick sucking from pundits and college announcers. Sure there were reach picks like Locker, Gabbert, Weeden, Ponder, etc but some of those guys weren't hyped up that much or earned their hype status but flamed out in the NFL anyway. Point is pundits will just latch on to a guy who isn't a premier #1 pick and spank the gently caress out of those page clicks. It gets really annoying, especially when Matt Ryan turns out to be a baller.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Vince was on the Madden cover after winning Rookie of the Year and making the Pro Bowl in 2006.

Oh crap I completely forgot what year he was on the cover.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

How were EJ Manuel and JP Losman 1st rounders

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

a neat cape posted:

Ponder, Manuel, Losman, Freeman, Weeden, Locker, Lynch, Kizer, Trubisky, Kolb, Beck, Henne, and Jason Campbell were all top 50 picks that deserved to be there and some teams (bears) panicked and reached.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Even Jimbo Fisher said not to draft EJ Manuel before like the 3rd round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The 2001 draft class of quarterbacks is certainly interesting in retrospect.

Only one QB drafted in the first round (Vick). Brees was the first pick of the 2nd round and every UGA fan laughed their rear end off when the Cowboys picked Quincy Carter because of all the massive red flags about everything with him. Carter turned out to be not the worst QB taken, a testament to just how bad this class was.