Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Thomas the Tank Engine IS fascist tho

Victory Position posted:

lol at Varoufakis being completely responsible for TF2's hat and key economy

His wife is also the subject of Pulp's Common People

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Grevling posted:

I also remember 2019.

:thejoke:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

a Loving Dog posted:

I’m old enough to remember a few years ago when people on the “left” were screeching at Liz (I even saw her called fash lmao) for being personally against abortion while also saying it should still remain legal lol

I don't know the specifics, but I could see that. Like, what does "personally" against abortion mean? If some right-wing politician or talking head says they're "personally (read, publicly) against homosexuality, but don't think it should be illegal" that's still a really bad thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

thotsky posted:

I don't know the specifics, but I could see that. Like, what does "personally" against abortion mean? If some right-wing politician or talking head says they're "personally (read, publicly) against homosexuality, but don't think it should be illegal" that's still a really bad thing.

liz bruenig isn’t going to tweet this, you moron

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Don't trust anybody that attend the same social gatherings as klein and yglesias

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is very old-fashioned to try to engage with the world as anything but a discrete enumerable sequence of things, each of which is either fully bad or fully good.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

thotsky posted:

big brain hours

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Phone posted:

liz bruenig isn’t going to tweet this, you moron

her account, her choice

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

thotsky posted:

I think she's said she would never have an abortion, but she also wouldn't interfere with other people who wanted their own abortions. So it's like not having gay sex but not caring about other people having gay sex.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thotsky posted:

presumably it means they would never want to get an abortion themselves, but would side with pro-choice people as a political issue

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thotsky posted:

aborting a fetus is a lot like having gay sex

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

scary ghost dog posted:

aborting a fetus is a lot like having gay sex

It's cool?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i am against cheating on spouses, but i don't think it should be illegal

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Homeless Friend posted:

maybe she received a divine revelation that it would help her make podcast $$$$$

I doubt she's making any money off it heh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like, one can attribute a certain morality to an action while saying that they shouldn't be universalised, or by reflecting that there's no way to make it work politically. religious people believe in souls and poo poo, so they're often deeply skeptical of abortion. so long as this remains a matter of religious morality it's not a problem, but once they start trying to order society by those rules it becomes a big deal.

incidentally, this is why moralism as a political motive is deeply problematic in general

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

incidentally, this is why moralism as a political motive is deeply problematic in general

aren't moral considerations what moves us to want better conditions for everyone

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Newest chapo is an absolute banger, even if it is a bit bleak. Though raging at how bleak everything is when they're at their best.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

My favorite tidbit about this was years before this Jia had written a long form article or book that discussed her parents crimes and how they were bad and wrong.

wasn't instead about how her parents, contrary to a case in court, were not in fact slavers? because labor trafficking is very different from what her parents did, including pressuring people from finding better jobs through fear of deportation

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Feb 19, 2021

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

this week's Trash Future was really good, discussing the terrible nature of Terf Island while also having some great jokes in it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

also I didn't realize Liz Bruenig and Libby Watson were different people

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zegermans posted:

also I didn't realize Liz Bruenig and Libby Watson were different people

One time, either Adam or Stav mentioned Libby had been at one of their shows, and Nick almost murdered them. Something along the lines of "she's nice, and it's not good for people to be associated with us".

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Doctor Jeep posted:

aren't moral considerations what moves us to want better conditions for everyone

they can do that, but they mostly end up reinforcing deeply conservative attitudes and misunderstood politics

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Libertariansism by way of anti-woke dirtbag leftism is no way to go, I think. The left should retain the moral dimension of our ideology, not only because it guides and legitimizes the endeavor, but because it pisses of liberals like nothing else.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thotsky posted:

Libertariansism by way of anti-woke dirtbag leftism is no way to go, I think. The left should retain the moral dimension of our ideology, not only because it guides and legitimizes the endeavor, but because it pisses of liberals like nothing else.

what, the choice isn't between moralism and libertarianism, it's between moralism and force

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't think anyone was suggesting forced abortions or anything, so you've lost me.

I am more commenting on whether there should be a moral core to our politics or not. In my view, Libertariansism would be my example of a prominent ideology that tries to do away with moral concerns in their politics. I disagree with that approach.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

thotsky posted:

I don't think anyone was suggesting forced abortions or anything, so you've lost me.

I am more commenting on whether there should be a moral core to our politics or not. In my view, Libertariansism would be my example of a prominent ideology that tries to do away with moral concerns in their politics. I disagree with that approach.

At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a Loving Dog posted:

I’m old enough to remember a few years ago when people on the “left” were screeching at Liz (I even saw her called fash lmao) for being personally against abortion while also saying it should still remain legal lol

I think the taintrunner disciples out there have realized we were making fun of them and not agreeing by now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Moralism is much like 'radical' in that it's a subjective position. How do you people claim to be politically aware and not know that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thotsky posted:

I will begin by saying that I agree that there should be a moral core to our politics.

I will also say that I think some people are wary of that position because of the idea that anyone and everyone can rationalize their own actions as being for the good.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

It's empathy for me personally, I don't need a formalized rule system to tell me how to feel about others.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
my moral core is saying the words latinx, cishet, strasserite, tankie, red brown alliance, and fash pipeline 100,000 times per day on Twitter

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my local whitebread npr station started using the word latinx in a bumper every 15 minutes and it's driving me nuts

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

thotsky posted:

are you trying to get your posts on twitter again

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
it's easy to muster a powerful response to moral stimuli; but for them to retain their effect requires the development of a consciousness in which there is a new priority of values.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is the red scare ep with adam curtis available for free anywhere; i really don't want to pay for that poo poo for one interview

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Generic Monk posted:

is the red scare ep with adam curtis available for free anywhere; i really don't want to pay for that poo poo for one interview

They routinely get posted on the subreddit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Generic Monk posted:

use podcastaddict.com it had all the pirated feeds

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Mr Hootington posted:

My favorite tidbit about this was years before this Jia had written a long form article or book that discussed her parents crimes and how they were bad and wrong.

presumably she wrote that before that one guy wrote about his family's slave Lola and Woke Slave Discourse became a thing you could do and not only not get laughed at, but it'd be racist for anyone to call out

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
Just for the record, people weren't mad at Liz for saying she was personally against abortion because she's Catholic they were mad that she spoke praise of Crisis Pregnancy Centers and appeared in some "make pro-life cool for millenials" video and some other stuff. Which far as I know she hasn't done for awhile but it's not just women being bitches to her or whatever the line that gets repeated is. Engaging in anti-choice propaganda isn't just having a private belief.

Generic Monk posted:

red scare patreon episodes are uploaded here https://www.reddit.com/r/blackScare/

Paffgen has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Generic Monk posted:

Someone compiled a list of the patreon rss feeds.

https://www.chapo.chat/post/57455