Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Thundarr posted:

If you use them in this order, don't the Whistle and a Tingle buffs get applied to J-Kick instead of Triple Trident?

Boosts are only consumed by proper spells. Most (all?) Blue instant casts are classified as abilities. The Bristle in that list, for instance, is getting consumed by Matra Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

W.T. Fits posted:

This is the general purpose opener.

Something that just occurred to me: Do these sorts of openers assume any Spell Speed? I haven't checked the Balance since 5.45, but I vaguely remembered a lack of need for SpS previously, so currently my gear is set up with exactly 0 (the right combination of Mirage and Scaevean to ensure that none of the pieces have it).

[Edit] Checked the Balance (and nearly thought I wouldn't find anything useful since their BLU channel is just one long ongoing chat), and it seems that while there is a no-SpS option, it's only marginally better and leaves you more at the mercy of your ping for stuff like your opener.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 19, 2021

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Erm... no, not really. It's been mentioned before, but Hydaelyn's situation is a very unique and different one to many others. Spoier tagging the explanation, because I know there's at least one person in this thread who hasn't finished Shadowbribgers yet.

Hydaelyn is weird for how SIMPLE she is; she has one reason to exist, and it's to beat Zodiark's face in. That's such a narrow cause to exist that we'll see something we've never seen before: what happens when a primal is just... done? Every other primal had grand aims and intentions, usually relating to world supremacy or supreme destruction (or they're Bismarck, who apparently didn't have a game plan other than 'eat rocks'), that can either never possibly be completed or feasibly never attained. Hydaelyn is the only one that can actually get her win condition.

What does she do THEN!? We literally do not have an answer for that, we don't have context we can deduce from. So we have to accept the possibility that maybe, just maybe, we won't get to beat her up.

Personally, I doubt we actually will fight her afterwards, for one very simple reason: we will have already beaten up a giant purple rock at that point. Quite recently, too. Gameplay-wise, is there much to gain from then beating up a giant blue rock? Is there anything that adds that isn't satiating a bloodlust for a godly figure simply because it's there? Because we've also talked before about how that's not actually the game's ideals, we don't kill all gods simply because gods are there. We are not Kratos. (EDIT: somebody is about to post that one dialog line from Stormblood that is, let's be real, SUPER out of character for what little character the WoL has)

I forget, did the other ancient faction sacrifice themselves to summon Hydaelin? If she just dissipates cause her mission is complete, what happens to all that sacrificial spiritual aether? What happens to the lifestream if there's a dam break style flood of aether into it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I've always just taken for granted that it was probably a Kamen Rider reference. :shrug:

I've always assumed it was something tokusatsu, although I gravitated to something in the Super Sentai series just because of the combining robot factor. I only started wondering more specifically today, when I saw my friend practicing their Moon Flute window (including J-Kick) while I was also watching a stream of Blast Corps that just got to J-Bomb pulling very nearly the same moves.

hazardousmouse posted:

I forget, did the other ancient faction sacrifice themselves to summon Hydaelin? If she just dissipates cause her mission is complete, what happens to all that sacrificial spiritual aether? What happens to the lifestream if there's a dam break style flood of aether into it?

They do confirm that the Hydaelyn faction sacrificed themselves to summon Hydaelyn, because they specifically objected to the alternative--sacrificing the newly sprouting, non-Ancient, mortal lives. We don't know how big that faction was, but we can have a rough estimate of 'pretty big' based on the fact they summoned Hydaelyn.

But what would happen when that gets dispersed, in any way at all? We've got NO idea. It's never necessarily been painted as a problem before, but it also never came up to that severity before. It might be nothing, it might even be a good thing. ...or it could make previous Calamities look like a kitchen fire.

But Hydaelyn won't have to be the one to kick that off, anyway. Because Zodiark's gonna do it first.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Waffleman_ posted:

It felt like a lot of the time, they were dropping health way faster than they should have. I don't think I noticed them doing any AOEs, but keeping them on didn't seem an issue.

E: I just want my friggin oGCDs, man. MP sucks

Cast times suck too, especially for those "oh crap the tank's health is really dropping quick :supaburn:" moments. I don't like burning Swiftcast just to drop a heal on someone, and even if I did, it's considerably slower than a true healing oGCD. Don't worry, you're almost to Lustrate!

Essential Dignity is really making leveling AST a lot more fun. I healed my first Stone Vigil and the tank was off to the races pulling big, but just Aspected Benefic and ED were enough 90% of the time. There was one death because a DPS stood in the last boss's frost breath, nothing I can do there.

I think I'm already developing the grumpy healer attitude, too. It's clear which mechanics are my responsibility to heal through, and I just need to select the right tool to manage them. But now when I see someone take avoidable damage, I harumph as I toss them a regen and think of the Malefic that could have been.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Copycat Zero posted:

Cool, thanks.

I don't, simply because I still haven't managed to get my hands on a Lost Manawall, meaning there's no way for me to win (according to that map posted the other day, it's from star mobs in the first area? that would be why, I guess). So, of course, last time I'm in Bozja, I get into a Metal Wolf Chaos where there's barely any other people in it and I somehow do it without getting hit by anything, and I think I might have been the only one...

You can buy the frags that give lost mana wall from the cluster vendor. 5 for only 1 cluster.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
hydelin speculation (shb onwards) i suspect we will fight only one giant crystal and it will be hydelin and zodiark merged, someone - maybe zenos? will become the "heart" of one of the two crystals and then immediately consume the other giving us some kind of perfected version of the two primals. its convenient because then we have one crystal fight, it allows hydelin to go out trying to stop the merge, further rams home the point of light and dark being two sides of the same aether, fits well with both the imagery amano drew of the two connected, fits well with imagery of anima (which is suspiciously similar to the amano drawing), fits well with what we've seen of resonants "driving" primals, also raises the stakes appropriately for a final boss which could be the concept of a primal itself, annnd it makes sense that it would happen now because everyone who cares about restoring zodiark is dead, so why not mutate him?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im almost level 70 on dancer and Im about to restart stormblood post-patch stuff, whats the easiest way to gear up enough to that level? Allagan tomestones like usual? And if so, which ones?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Get poetics and buy Scaeven gear from Rhalgar's Reach.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Im almost level 70 on dancer and Im about to restart stormblood post-patch stuff, whats the easiest way to gear up enough to that level? Allagan tomestones like usual? And if so, which ones?

Tomestones are the best, but getting them can take some time.

You can buy older tomestone sets for Centurio Seals very cheaply (do the weekly b ranks in HW and SB for a quick 200 seals) for worse but easy to fill any gaps in the meantime. The catch up crafted gear at level 71 or 73 is also good if you have access to a crafter friend and ShB mats, but I’m guessing this is your highest level / progressed character.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

hydelin speculation (shb onwards) i suspect we will fight only one giant crystal and it will be hydelin and zodiark merged, someone - maybe zenos? will become the "heart" of one of the two crystals and then immediately consume the other giving us some kind of perfected version of the two primals. its convenient because then we have one crystal fight, it allows hydelin to go out trying to stop the merge, further rams home the point of light and dark being two sides of the same aether, fits well with both the imagery amano drew of the two connected, fits well with imagery of anima (which is suspiciously similar to the amano drawing), fits well with what we've seen of resonants "driving" primals, also raises the stakes appropriately for a final boss which could be the concept of a primal itself, annnd it makes sense that it would happen now because everyone who cares about restoring zodiark is dead, so why not mutate him?

yeah what they said

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

On my AST I like when poo poo goes sideways. Essential Dignity is SUCH a powerful spell. You can keep a tank up with benefic spam if you need to, AND have ED up to save a DPS. Lightspeed is also useful, for when swiftcast is on cooldown and a tank is losing health rapidly.

at high levels, Celestial Opposition is one of my favorite abilities. A decent AoE regen oGCD is just so useful. you can just combine it with Aspected Benefic to keep a tank healthy and go back to DPSing AND you can combine it with an Aspected Helios to quickly heal up a group after a big raidwide hit. Its my favorite button for AST right now, its only a shame you get it so late.

I had an Amaurot run that had some extremely low DPS, and between Collective Unconcious and the PLD tank's guardian thingy and a some regen effects, it turns out that the last boss's Apokalypsis is actually survivable!

Also, what is up with the scaling on Malikah's Well? I'm 495 on AST and the tank was ilvl 500, and when he picked up just 2 packs of mobs, I was spamming Benefic 2 with Synastry to keep him up. He was using cooldowns as well and still losing half his health in a couple seconds.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A Moose posted:

Also, what is up with the scaling on Malikah's Well? I'm 495 on AST and the tank was ilvl 500, and when he picked up just 2 packs of mobs, I was spamming Benefic 2 with Synastry to keep him up. He was using cooldowns as well and still losing half his health in a couple seconds.

Some of the Malikah's pulls are pretty beefy, but aside from the hell pull after the first boss, shouldn't be that bad. Maybe he was getting clipped by some aoes, or had broken equipment.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's kinda stupid that with the way gear scaling works in this game the 'Expert' Roulette is braindead easy content and the pulls that will actually put some hair on your chest are all in leveling dungeons

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It’s also stupid that I haven’t done an ShB dungeon since 2019 because they never show up in roulette :(

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There really should be a "current expansion roulette"

or add the current expansion to 50/60/70 etc

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Badger of Basra posted:

It’s also stupid that I haven’t done an ShB dungeon since 2019 because they never show up in roulette :(

Same. I get HW and SB dungeons on occasion but never ShB. All I can figure is that people are mostly leveling in Bozjan these days from 70-80 since it gives such good experience (as well as relic stuff, coins, etc.).

Edit: I also wish that if you queue with a full premade of people level 50+ it would always put you into a higher level of dungeon. It's so annoying when you have a range of 50s-70s and you get Satasha for some reason.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

multijoe posted:

It's kinda stupid that with the way gear scaling works in this game the 'Expert' Roulette is braindead easy content and the pulls that will actually put some hair on your chest are all in leveling dungeons

Doesn't help that all the 5.x dungeons are a step backwards. Which is really confusing since the 5.0 dungeons are the best they've ever been. But so much forced downtime, forced single pulls, and bosses that are spiteful to uptime in the new experts.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

It's currently stuck in the side quest lane but the existence of the g-warrior seems like too much to ignore wrt piloting primals when everyone agrees Zenos is going to attempt something along those lines. The WoL now also has a way to do that safely, since the Ultima warrior was the Ultima prototype that focused on absorbing and using primals (rather than on creating very big explosions).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A Moose posted:

or add the current expansion to 50/60/70 etc

Please yoship

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

derra posted:

You can buy the frags that give lost mana wall from the cluster vendor. 5 for only 1 cluster.

Ah, okay. I keep tunnel-visioning on the mount and stuff when it comes to clusters, so I never think about the frags being available too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rosalind posted:

Same. I get HW and SB dungeons on occasion but never ShB. All I can figure is that people are mostly leveling in Bozjan these days from 70-80 since it gives such good experience (as well as relic stuff, coins, etc.).

Trusts might also be a factor. You still run into HW and SB dungeons in the leveling roulette because people need to run them for the main story, and you need other people for that. But Trusts let you run the 71-79 dungeons at your own pace and your own convenience, so you no longer need to rely on the duty roulette to supply you with three extra bodies just to progress the story. DPS players can proceed through without the momentum being killed by a long queue, and healers and tanks who have anxiety about their roles can play with an AI party that will keep pace with them without the pressure of going into a new dungeon blind.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

A Moose posted:

This basically already exists, it's called 80 Roulette.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Trusts might also be a factor. You still run into HW and SB dungeons in the leveling roulette because people need to run them for the main story, and you need other people for that. But Trusts let you run the 71-79 dungeons at your own pace and your own convenience, so you no longer need to rely on the duty roulette to supply you with three extra bodies just to progress the story. DPS players can proceed through without the momentum being killed by a long queue, and healers and tanks who have anxiety about their roles can play with an AI party that will keep pace with them without the pressure of going into a new dungeon blind.

plus if you're doing the MSQ dungeons as you level and you do trusts you can keep all the loot for yourself as upgrades

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Valhawk posted:

This basically already exists, it's called 80 Roulette.

you can't get Holminster Switch, Dohn Mheg, Quitana Ravel, Malikha's Well, or Mt. Gulg in that one though, and that's a shame because those are actually really good!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I've played each of the pre-80 dungeons precisely once, with the Trust NPCs. It's a shame.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Moose posted:

you can't get Holminster Switch, Dohn Mheg, Quitana Ravel, Malikha's Well, or Mt. Gulg in that one though, and that's a shame because those are actually really good!

And w/o them the 80 roulette is kinda repetitive, IMHO.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They should have two dungeon roulettes: Expert (all 80 dungeons). Levelling (everything 79 and lower, including the poo poo that's in 5/6/7 right now.) This fixes the issue of keeping the MSQ final dungeon in rotation, as well as bringing more people into the 5/6/7 optional and story dungeons, which are generally ghost towns.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

tbh Id be fine if I could just opt out of sub-50 leveling dungeons if everyone else had the same setting flipped. I havent gone through the ShB stuff but the HW and SB dungeons were all great and, more importantly, not copperbell mines again

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

W.T. Fits posted:

Do people still have healer/tankxiety after 70 levels of MSQ dungeons?
I could see it if they just picked up GNB or leveled SMN and swapped to SCH I guess.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

Not yet. That said, the current breakdown for mounts on the online store is as follows:

Single character one-seater mounts are $12 USD.
Most account-wide one-seater mounts are $24 USD, the sole exception being the SDS Fenrir motorcycle.
Both account-wide two-seater mounts and the SDS Fenrir are $29.99; presumably, the Fenrir costs as much as the two-seater mounts due to having an actual gameplay benefit (max ground riding speed in all zones regardless of story progress/riding map acquisition).
The account-wide four-seater Chocobo Carriage is $35.99.

I'd imagine the Lunar Whale is probably going to be priced at least $40 USD at minimum. My own personal guess is that it'll be around $48 USD.

Edit: And as long as I'm making baseless predictions, I'm calling it now that the Endwalker Collector's Edition bonus minion is going to be Wind-up Paladin Cecil.

this whale is gonna be the thing that finally breaks me

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I could see it if they just picked up GNB or leveled SMN and swapped to SCH I guess.

Yeah. I know plenty of people who stress out tanking or healing dungeons in public groups, even by 80.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really would like to see a broader and more challenging endgame dungeon configuration of some kind, the lack of variety in EXDR and the lack of challenge really has made it a drag in Shadowbringers. Something like WoW's Mythic+ system that pulls from the whole current expansion and spcies things up with extra modifiers would be ideal but I'd take anything that makes it any less a rote tax on your time and nothing more

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I have healer anxiety when I tank, ie I get anxious when the healers hotbar only has cure II and a macro to complain about wiping

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

I did LDR once per day as a tank for pretty much all of 5.3 for the relic step and got ShB or SB dungeons most days. And Mentor Roulette gives me Qitana or Malikah like 30% of the time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
While I generally loudly support difficult 4 player content, mythic's random modifiers kinda sound like trash for this game.

Shadowbringer's 80 dungeons are disappointingly easy though. Not like they've ever been hard, but you'd occasionally get stuff like the burn that tripped people up. Meanwhile stuff in the latest dungeon dies before before your CDs expire, and half the boss fights are downtime.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
What in the world are the classes all of you are leveling to never get ShB dungeons in roulette?

I get that poo poo in at least half of the times I even run leveling in an average week. I’ve done Dohn Mheg and Malikia’s Well far more times than I can count. The others are about even

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I get ShB dungeons all the time in leveling roulette, I dunno what you guys are talking about. Especially Holminster, weirdly, which is annoying because it feels like the slowest of that set. It seems like they really wanted to get across how tough and dangerous the soul eaters are, so it's tuned to be a bit harder than most first dungeons of an expansion.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Meridian posted:

Is it particularly annoying to keep up with gear/levels for two different roles? I like the idea of being able to switch things up to fill when doing content with other people, but if it's a pain in the rear end I'll need to think a bit about what job I want to main starting out.

It takes a very long time to outfit a job with top-of-the-line gear especially if you aren't savage raiding, let alone two jobs with different gear sets. Comparatively though getting to the point of plenty "good enough" is pretty easy and painless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Badger of Basra posted:

You just have bad luck. I get Holminster Switch and Qitana Ravel regularly.