Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Sounds like apple is looking to see if it's worth making its own game store

I mean they could be doing that under cover of this but the stuff they want reads like an attempt to be able to shut down Epic's arguments about monopolistic practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Orv posted:

I mean they could be doing that under cover of this but the stuff they want reads like an attempt to be able to shut down Epic's arguments about monopolistic practices.

It’s this.

They already have a store they ain’t gonna open a dedicated games store.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Irritated Goat posted:

New JRPG bundle looks good. If it sticks around long enough, I might be able to grab like half of the whole thing. My poor backlog.

What JRPG bundle is this?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Sounds like apple is looking to see if it's worth making its own game store

I really doubt it, Apple gives zero fucks about gaming on the Mac

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Rage 2 free on Epic store this week. Never played it, but now I could, if I wanted to!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

TOOT BOOT posted:

I really doubt it, Apple gives zero fucks about gaming on the Mac

With the Mac becoming more mobile-like and easier cross-platform from mobile, Apple is 100% interested in furthering their interests in software sales. Apple is all about revenue streams, they will take anything they can get.

e - also Apple would love to figure out exactly how much they can monopolize software distribution on the Mac platform and maximize their revenue from it. Valve's numbers would give them more insight into that. It's definitely their primary goal here, not the actual Epic lawsuit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apple already has their own game store, the Mac rendition of the App Store. I don't think it's been taken particularly seriously by the PC gaming crowd for a very long time, although apparently on the M1 machines you can now run iOS games. With a mouse to imitate using touch controls with a single finger. Which sounds great.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Takes No Damage posted:

Rage 2 free on Epic store this week. Never played it, but now I could, if I wanted to!

The shooting is pretty fun if you can make it past the first hour or so. It's not terrible just look up a guide for the powers and guns they aren't story gated, don't buy the dlc, and drop it whenever you get tired of it because the story is stupid and not worth finishing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I had fun force-pushing people around in RAGE 2, I think I tried it on gamepass or something but for $Free you can certainly find some fun in there to have.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

K8.0 posted:

With the Mac becoming more mobile-like and easier cross-platform from mobile, Apple is 100% interested in furthering their interests in software sales. Apple is all about revenue streams, they will take anything they can get.

e - also Apple would love to figure out exactly how much they can monopolize software distribution on the Mac platform and maximize their revenue from it. Valve's numbers would give them more insight into that. It's definitely their primary goal here, not the actual Epic lawsuit.

Historically they haven't even done bare minimum things that would help people porting games like shipping recent video drivers.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

GrandpaPants posted:

What JRPG bundle is this?

I think they're refering to this bundle on Fanatical.

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Apple, for as much of a nightmare as they are like any gigantic tech company, is typically about revenue streams that pay off. A Mac gaming client would not.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Sorry for posting this here again but I'm getting nowhere.

My Amazon Luna controller, as I previously said, it is losing it's mind.

Right now, my computer doesn't recognize that it has LT/RT triggers. Steam is not recognizing any input from them. I've tried installing, and uninstalling the drivers, setting the controller to factory default. Only thing I can figure is it's some setting in Windows. Even under the Microsoft Godawful interface it doesn't recognize the triggers. I honestly don't know what has happened, controller worked great, the guide would bring up Steam, then it brought up Xbox's GUI, now it won't at all.

It's been a great controller which is really why I want to try to fix it, although it feels like something Windows related.

Edit: Well holy crap, even a regular Xbox controller, it will recognize, but then I'm getting double inputs. For example: Bloodstained, tapping X button, has Miriam both attack and bring up the shortcut (LT) option at the same time. Totally separate controller. Gotta be a Windows thing, they really borked this.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 19, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Does it work correctly with other systems? I mean, unless you've already tested that, it's entire possible that the trigger buttons are just broken.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Cardiovorax posted:

Does it work correctly with other systems? I mean, unless you've already tested that, it's entire possible that the trigger buttons are just broken.

Sorry, I edited my post, but yeah, even testing with my standard Xbox One controller that has always worked on my Xbox, and the Luna itself working. I have gone through double inputs, to now, no triggers recognizing, and the Xbox controller, while recognizing the triggers, thinks I'm hitting X+LT at the same time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Orv posted:

Apple, for as much of a nightmare as they are like any gigantic tech company, is typically about revenue streams that pay off. A Mac gaming client would not.

Why's it have to be just gaming? Why not take Epic's rebellion against their IOS lockdown as an opportunity to build the same sort of lockdown on Mac? Valve runs the biggest digital store for non-mobile devices, there's a lot of valuable data to be extracted there.

The big play for Apple here isn't to get PC/console ports, it's to do whatever it takes to encourage iOS users to also be Mac users. How many people do you know who own an iPhone because that's all they know and it's simple? By creating a good digital ecosystem with good hooks coming from iOS, Apple could revitalize the Mac brand.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 19, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Why's it have to be just gaming? Why not take Epic's rebellion against their IOS lockdown as an opportunity to build the same sort of lockdown on Mac? Valve runs the biggest digital store for non-mobile devices, there's a lot of valuable data to be extracted there.

The big play for Apple here isn't to get PC/console ports, it's to do whatever it takes to encourage iOS users to also be Mac users. How many people do you know who own an iPhone because that's all they know and it's simple? By creating a good digital ecosystem with good hooks coming from iOS, Apple could revitalize the Mac brand.

I can't imagine the juice would be worth the squeeze? If they lock down Macs in some way on the software end then everyone just stops buying Macs if it becomes a meaningful chore to do media or design stuff on them. :shrug:

E: Per your edit the reason everyone uses an iPhone is because it's simple and everyone has a phone all the time even if it's not an iPhone. There's no necessary path or reason to go from iPhone to Mac for the vast majority of people or Apple would have done something like that years ago. Pocket computing is Apple's whole deal now and Mac's have been, purposefully or not, relegated into a weird media/design space as a niche product. Why chase the probably very bad turnover on people who would make the jump when you can just keep increasing your pocket computing share and spread from more phones, iWatch, etc.

Ultimately you're reading way too into Apple's filings here for Valve's info. Valve's response "We don't keep that kind of info why on earth would we" is more telling than anything.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 19, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some Wreckfest on Gamepass and that game is cool and surprisingly well optimized (I figured it'd run like crap with all the car parts flying around) but it feels like after a half hour and a couple derby's I've seen all there is to see. There's a campaign mode and I guess you can upgrade your car and stuff but the racing aspect of the game doesn't really interest me much. It's pretty much perfect for a gamepass title!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Orv posted:

Ultimately you're reading way too into Apple's filings here for Valve's info. Valve's response "We don't keep that kind of info why on earth would we" is more telling than anything.

Yeah this. Like not keeping those sort of metrics is really interesting.

You’d think they’d want to know that stuff.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I didn’t read it as Valve not tracking stuff, but that the tracking data is shared in ownership with the publishers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

I didn’t read it as Valve not tracking stuff, but that the tracking data is shared in ownership with the publishers.

They don't keep stuff pursuant to part of the request, the other problem was that they would be exposing other peoples info, yes.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I can't claim to know how big tech lawsuits work, but I can't imagine Apple will have much success strongarming a third-party with no standing in the lawsuit into coughing up sensitive or valuable sales data

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unless I've missed something it's basically entirely up to the judge whether or not Apple gets what it wants (if Valve can even provide what it wants.) Since this case is like 85% uncharted waters, could be pretty spicy but probably will not be.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The document makes it pretty clear Valve could compile the information if they wanted to (not that I think they necessarily should) they just don't as part of the ordinary course of business

but Apple claims that Valve told them they have the information they're just being difficult about giving it to Apple(understandable):

Apple posted:

Valve’s assertion that multiple databases are needed to extract the information Apple requests is a
distraction. Valve has admitted to Apple’s counsel that the information requested exists in the
normal course of business, but Valve simply refuses to produce it in any of the formats Apple
suggested, yet also refuses to provide any information whatsoever as to the form in which the
information exists and is readily accessible.

there is a little more explanation as well from Valve but it's still a little hmm:

Valve posted:

Apple argues it is fair to make Valve do all this work and incur this disruption because
Samsung—a public company that competes in the mobile app market—produced something
similar. Public companies like Samsung must keep detailed financial and operational
information. Valve is a privately held company with no outside shareholders or lenders, and not
subject to public regulatory reporting and auditing requirements. Valve does not in the ordinary
course of business keep the information Apple seeks for a simple reason: Valve doesn’t need it.

It's hard to tell if Valve is intentionally making it sound more difficult than it is or if Apple is underselling it (both they're lawyers) so I'd say it's probably not trivial but also not impossible.

No idea which way a judge may rule but apparently Apple got an order for similar information from Samsung.

I guess the short version is I wouldn't read too much into any of this because it's an adversarial process and stretching the truth is encouraged. Apple is probably taking liberties but I do think the information they are looking for furthers their arguments and isn't them trying to establish a game storefront.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 19, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Crucially, I think, Samsung was the other party in court with them when they got that ruling - they weren't being asked to provide that information as a third-party for industry background.

It looks like Valve's attorneys once said "yeah we collect sales information" to an Apple attorney and Apple took that to mean they actually do things with that information after collecting it instead of simply throwing it in a big pile of excel spreadsheets that is nobody's job to look at, and Valve's response is basically "you have to give us a good reason to spend our money on your legal problems".

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Give us all your title and sales data for the last 10 years as an opening move is certainly a request though :lol:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

K8.0 posted:

I'm certainly no legal expert, but I can't imagine a judge would be happy to find out Apple was using the court to steal confidential business information from a competitor. I might be wrong though.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

welp this looks good as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRP62MGOrUo

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Considering how much they hosed up the Warcraft III remake, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its gonna be really cool and good when they kill the original version to get you to buy the new one

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

yeah im gonna go ahead and assume thats not gonna happen again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think it looks fun and good :shrug:

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Diablo II was already resurrected via that Grim Dawn mod.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah good, a chance to replay the worst Diablo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You have quite a treasure there in that Horadric Cube.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Diablo 2 needs more than just a graphics overhaul. But knowing Blizzard, they're gonna keep every bug and lovely design decisions exactly as it was, because that's their MO.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Considering how much they hosed up the Warcraft III remake, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Different team, Diablo 2make is being done by Vicarious Visions who you may know from the extremely good THPS1+2 and Crash trilogy remakes

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Diablo 2 needs more than just a graphics overhaul. But knowing Blizzard, they're gonna keep every bug and lovely design decisions exactly as it was, because that's their MO.

No it does not.

Well, I mean sure bug fixes are fine but people are going to lose their loving minds if they start changing anything gameplay wise

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it won't just be a graphics overhaul, they'll also code it so you can't use 'tw' in lobby names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Flimf posted:

No it does not.

Well, I mean sure bug fixes are fine but people are going to lose their loving minds if they start changing anything gameplay wise

People are loving morons and they shouldn't listen to them. If they want to play Diablo 2, it's *right there*. Listening to people is what got them to make Starcraft 2 the way they did and that trainwreck set an entire genre back a decade.