Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Ugly John posted:

Thinking more about it, Billy's line would fit in with any of the theories, really: (1) if Agatha 'isn't real', then she's 'quiet' because the only part of her that exists is Wanda's influence, (2) if she's the Big Bad then either she's blocking him or she's just quiet because she's the only one not screaming inside. She's the only one not trapped.

Not sure I should spoil speculation but just in case Agatha wasn't normally a big bad in the comics but there is someone who would both fit the aesthetic of the basement and someone who would get off on making people freak out: Nightmare. He's also a Doc Strange villain so there is that. Him taking advantage of a mentally unstable Wanda to increase the reach of his realm is very much his normal comic MO. Him using the "Agatha" disguise and pretending to be puppet mastering it all is also ripped from many of his comic appearances. Wanda is the real power behind all of this but Nightmare loving around with her mind would be a clean way to bring her to the "No....More mutants" moment and lead into Doc Strange movie. I realise I am probably the only person that has read Doc Strange comics but "Rise of the Midnight Sons" hooked single digit me like nothing else... except maybe 40k. Lastly that was definitely the Darkhold which, years ago at least, can appear slightly different at various times, depending on whatever will entice the potential reader to take a gander.

Also glad to see other Photon/Spectrum/Monica comic fans out there.

Thank goons for pointing out the Modern Family ref as I have never seen that show. I figured it was Arrested Development at first.I know, I know but I have also succeeded in never watching the US Office or Scrubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Has anyone pointed out the significance of the name Seņor Scratchy yet?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah that's something I noticed.

Almost all of Agatha's actions were based around waking Vision up and potentially breaking the sitcom illusion, which would seem to be at odds with the idea that Agatha is actually behind what's going on in Westview; I'm pretty sure that Wanda is ultimately the one who kidnapped a town and Agatha is just trying to incidentally steer things towards her own goals.

I think I posted a version of this last week, but my current theory is that at some point prior to the Hex, Wanda encountered Agatha and discovered some villainous plan of hers. The Hex was at least in part an attempt by Wanda to do something heroic and stop Agatha, but it backfired in some fashion (because of Wanda's grief, because their powers interfered with each other, because Wanda isn't in control of her powers in their augmented state), and ended up trapping not just Agatha but the entire town in the altered reality.

This would explain why Agatha might be trying to undermine the illusion, since she's a prisoner of the Hex as well.

though I can also think of some things that don't quite square with this theory, like the lyrics of last episode's theme song, which seem to be all about encouraging Wanda to maintain the illusion, so really idk

also, I noticed that Allan Heinberg and Jim Cheung's names were added to the "Special Thanks" credits, so I guess their omission last week was just an oversight

Phylodox posted:

Agatha is definitely holding the rabbit like a witch's familiar at the end of the episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has some plot significance

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 19, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Phylodox posted:

:lol: if it happens that Seņor Scratchy is Wolverine that got hexed by Agatha. It would be so loving ridiculous and I would love it!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Necrothatcher posted:

Disappointed that there is actually an evil mastermind secretly controlling the situation but I guess it's not like you couldn't see it coming. I'd much rather watch a superhero having a nervous breakdown than have to her dealing with some cackling villain.

Oh well, at least Kathryn Hahn looks like she's having fun with it

Hard agree :hf:

I'm still on board for this show, but it would have been really brave to stick with Wanda being a good person doing terrible things for the sake of being able to live an 'ideal' life with her recently deceased husband. Huge let down to take that away and go "naw, hero's can do no bad unless there's a secret witch in the basement manipulating them!"

But bless Kathryn Hahn.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol: if it happens that Seņor Scratchy is Wolverine that got hexed by Agatha. It would be so loving ridiculous and I would love it!

I was referring to Old Scratch, which I think is a bit more likely, given this episode.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I’m pretty sure Wanda still is a good person doing bad things out of grief and pain. Agatha clearly arrived after the Hex and has been trying to guide/manipulate Wanda into doing a specific action, that is not suggestive to me of someone who is at all responsible for the initial bad situation, but simply using it for their own purposes. Which is a thing people do to grief-stricken people sometimes, take them and guide them like a tool to a purpose. In this case it seems Agatha was focused on reanimating of the dead, hence The Dog and all the stuff with Vision.

I sincerely think the show isn’t trying to make this not a thing Wanda did, Wanda even outright says I made the alternate reality I created bigger, and nothing Agatha does is to expand or control the Hex itself, merely direct it and Wanda’s powers.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I was referring to Old Scratch, which I think is a bit more likely, given this episode.

Agatha's son in the comics is a wizard named Nicholas Scratch.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
so did they switch the decade theming with the last episode? it seems like the last one, instead of being 90s was late 90s/early 2000s, and this one is late 2000s/early 2010s

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’m pretty sure Wanda still is a good person doing bad things out of grief and pain. Agatha clearly arrived after the Hex and has been trying to guide/manipulate Wanda into doing a specific action, that is not suggestive to me of someone who is at all responsible for the initial bad situation, but simply using it for their own purposes. Which is a thing people do to grief-stricken people sometimes, take them and guide them like a tool to a purpose. In this case it seems Agatha was focused on reanimating of the dead, hence The Dog and all the stuff with Vision.

I sincerely think the show isn’t trying to make this not a thing Wanda did, Wanda even outright says I made the alternate reality I created bigger, and nothing Agatha does is to expand or control the Hex itself, merely direct it and Wanda’s powers.

Yeah, the feeling I get is that Wanda started the Hex out of grief but Agatha's been trying to manipulate her from inside it for at least most of the time, seemingly with the end goal like figuring out out to raise the dead or something similar. That said, it's possible that Agatha was responsible for putting the "steal Vision's body and turn a whole town into a new sitcom-idyllic reality" idea in Wanda's head, but it's absolutely been Wanda starting/maintaining/growing the Hex this whole time. Agatha's powers seem focused on suggestion/manipulation more than outright reality-bending. Like, it's probably less outright puppet-control between Agatha and Wanda, and more suggestive "Aren't you celebrating your anniversary? Don't you want kids?" etc., while also obviously playing the other side with planting weirdness directly in Vision's view presumably to get him to question his reality.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

live with fruit posted:

The rabbit could be Ralph then

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

live with fruit posted:

Of course she does, which is a reference in itself. Kind of a double reference, but both references are to the same thing, so really only one reference what they done twice.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jihad Joe posted:

Ralph's clearly the fly on the curtain.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Phylodox posted:

According to Heavy Spoilers, there was a character named Nick Scratch that she worked with/aided Agatha. I think there's still a chance for a Mephisto/Nightmare reveal.

Also, In the intro to Wandavision, in cut and paste lettering, "I know what you did, Wanda". Who knew? Agatha or something bigger?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

xeria posted:

Yeah, the feeling I get is that Wanda started the Hex out of grief but Agatha's been trying to manipulate her from inside it for at least most of the time, seemingly with the end goal like figuring out out to raise the dead or something similar. That said, it's possible that Agatha was responsible for putting the "steal Vision's body and turn a whole town into a new sitcom-idyllic reality" idea in Wanda's head, but it's absolutely been Wanda starting/maintaining/growing the Hex this whole time. Agatha's powers seem focused on suggestion/manipulation more than outright reality-bending. Like, it's probably less outright puppet-control between Agatha and Wanda, and more suggestive "Aren't you celebrating your anniversary? Don't you want kids?" etc., while also obviously playing the other side with planting weirdness directly in Vision's view presumably to get him to question his reality.

Thinking about it she might be trying to get Vision to die again so she can specifically see Wanda bring him back to life. It would explain her showing him a bunch of weirdness and guiding him to investigate if she’s either trying to get him to leave and die, or fight Wanda and die. Either way Wanda then revives Vision and Agatha gets to see how it works. But now Vision is gone and the Hex expanded and she’s deciding to go for the direct control approach having ingratiated herself as Wanda’s friend enough to do so.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Jihad Joe posted:

I'm still waiting for them to reveal who that character is, or even if it's real.

Phylodox posted:

You know It was a dumb joke, but that too.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

That was transcendent.

Does the mailman's company logo being "Presto" mean anything?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

You know It was a dumb joke, but that too.

I honestly didn't know it was a joke, people have been suggesting all kinds of crazy things in this thread.

Phylodox posted:

It’s Luke Skywalker.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nerdietalk posted:

That was transcendent.

Does the mailman's company logo being "Presto" mean anything?

It's a common thing for magicians to say? He's basically a UPS guy, but they probably can't use UPS symbols. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing it's just a generic logo they could use to show he's a package delivery guy.

As for the opening credits, I thought I was the only one who caught the "I know what you did Wanda" thing. That was creepy. But did anyone else get Happy Endings vibes from the opening credits? I didn't watch Modern Family so maybe they had the same style.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Lord_Magmar posted:

Thinking about it she might be trying to get Vision to die again so she can specifically see Wanda bring him back to life. It would explain her showing him a bunch of weirdness and guiding him to investigate if she’s either trying to get him to leave and die, or fight Wanda and die. Either way Wanda then revives Vision and Agatha gets to see how it works. But now Vision is gone and the Hex expanded and she’s deciding to go for the direct control approach having ingratiated herself as Wanda’s friend enough to do so.

That could be, but then Billy spoils the game because he could sense Vision dying outside the Hex, and Agatha apparently can't actually do her manipulation/control on kids, so her moves this week might be toward taking them out of the picture entirely so she can speed up toward her own endgame with Wanda.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Note about the mailman: the Presto logo is a rabbit running.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

seaborgium posted:

As for the opening credits, I thought I was the only one who caught the "I know what you did Wanda" thing. That was creepy. But did anyone else get Happy Endings vibes from the opening credits? I didn't watch Modern Family so maybe they had the same style.

Yeah, it definitely seemed to be invoking something like Happy Endings way more than Modern Family's - the latter is a series of zooming in on family photos. Also stood out that the intro was focused entirely on Wanda and just tacked on Vision at the end.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

seaborgium posted:

It's a common thing for magicians to say? He's basically a UPS guy, but they probably can't use UPS symbols. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing it's just a generic logo they could use to show he's a package delivery guy.

The opening song seemed to be a take off of the Office theme, the font at the end felt like Modern Family, the rest of the intro didn't. I haven't seen Happy Endings, so I have no frame of reference to compare it's intro to this episodes.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
okay Wikipedia says my intuition was right. this episode is late 2000s, last one was early 2000s, and the one before that was 80s. so they just skipped the 90s

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

okay Wikipedia says my intuition was right. this episode is late 2000s, last one was early 2000s, and the one before that was 80s. so they just skipped the 90s

They mixed Alf (last season was in 1990) with Malcom.

Phylodox posted:

I honestly didn't know it was a joke, people have been suggesting all kinds of crazy things in this thread.

Phylodox posted:

It’s Luke Skywalker.

And thus the circle will be complete and all Disney franchises will be one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

No, the montage format and music gave me heavy The Office vibes. But I haven't seen Modern Family and I don't remember Happy Endings' credits.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean the dominant family sitcom of the 90s was The Simpsons, so I assume they didn't want to make an episode where everything looks like absolute poo poo like The Simpsons does now.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Its Chocolate posted:

Most of the well-known family sitcoms that aired in the 90s also overlapped with the 80s - Full House, Family Matters, Roseanne, Cosby, etc. Kinda felt like their intention was to cover both 80s and (early-to-mid) 90s with that single episode.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
what are skrulls

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I got a real Cousin Cody from Step By Step vibe from Uncle Pietro, so that's some 90's right there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Its Chocolate posted:

what are skrulls

Shapeshifting aliens.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Vision said corporal when he meant corporeal
Show ruined.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
I'm wondering who the big actor cameo is now. I don't think it's (just) Benedict Cumberbatch because Paul Bettany mentions wanting to have worked with him for a long time. well maybe it is since they're both British but that would be disappointing

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It was absolutely a Happy Endings homage, complete with the second half of the title coming in at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTdYF2lYKlk

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Its Chocolate posted:

I'm wondering who the big actor cameo is now. I don't think it's (just) Benedict Cumberbatch because Paul Bettany mentions wanting to have worked with him for a long time. well maybe it is since they're both British but that would be disappointing

Going to laugh if its __Coulson__

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ohtsam posted:

Going to laugh if its __Coulson__

Honestly now that the line between tv and movies has become that much more blurred and pointless, I'd love to him properly reintroduced to the MCU. Will anyone on Wandavision know who he is though?

I would be happy with Ben Mendelssohn showing up though, as someone who has primarily seen him pop up as villainous or scumbag characters, I've really enjoyed his turn as a face in the MCU.

Also are all speculations in tviv typically spoiled or are people just extra sensitive because it's marvel/mystery box tv? I though spoilering speculation used to be against the rules in tviv.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Its Chocolate posted:

Bettany and Cumberbatch have worked together before. He also said it's someone he's been wanting to work with his whole life, which seems to imply that it's an older actor.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

seaborgium posted:

But did anyone else get Happy Endings vibes from the opening credits? I didn't watch Modern Family so maybe they had the same style.

Yeah, the opening was pure The Office-inspired music mixed with the Happy Endings opening. I was definitely not expecting Happy Endings, but was pleasantly surprised. The new Tina Fey show Mr. Mayor has also cribbed the Happy Endings opening sequence.

TealShark fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

live with fruit posted:

Bettany and Cumberbatch have worked together before. He also said it's someone he's been wanting to work with his whole life, which seems to imply that it's an older actor.

Patrick Stewart and/or Ian McKellen.