Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Probably wouldn't look as cool as I hope but I really want to see a tree house town meet lumberjack dominoes and see what's left standing.

Posting a screenshot of an outpost / harbor I've been working on to make up for my shameful snipe. Finally getting the hang of building out into the water and made a fancy boathouse around our longship but now that it went to sea it won't fit back in without the perfect wind and tide combination which hasn't happened yet so now the boat lives lives on a regular old dock instead.

Is there a way to disable the HUD or point the camera in a Viking-less direction for better game photography?

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
The real enemy in this game is tree physics.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Is there a way to disable the HUD
Ctrl-F3

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

or point the camera in a Viking-less direction for better game photography?

afaik not without cheating: F5, put in "imacheater" and then "freefly" apparently? Just from some list of console commands.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I'm considering dropping 15 bucks on a month of server hosting for me and my friends as kinda just a fun thing to do. I know this is inefficient when I could just run a dedicated server myself but I also am not really savvy about that sort of thing and would rather hand over a few bucks and not have to think about it.

Does anyone know how individual worlds work with the premium server hosts? Do you make a world and upload the file on a web interface, and that becomes the world the server is hosting? Or do those services generally generate a world themselves and that world is the only one that can be on the server?

Also, any recommendations on premium hosting? I had an Ark server a few years ago through Nitrado and it worked...fine but also their website felt really sketchy at the time like I was relying on my credit card's fraud protections or something.

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 19, 2021

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Abisteen posted:

I'm considering dropping 15 bucks on a month of server hosting for me and my friends as kinda just a fun thing to do. I know this is inefficient when I could just run a dedicated server myself but I also am not really savvy about that sort of thing and would rather hand over a few bucks and not have to think about it.

Does anyone know how individual worlds work with the premium server hosts? Do you make a world and upload the file on a web interface, and that becomes the world the server is hosting? Or do those services generally generate a world themselves and that world is the only one that can be on the server?

Also, any recommendations on premium hosting? I had an Ark server a few years ago through Nitrado and it worked...fine but also their website felt really sketchy at the time like I was relying on my credit card's fraud protections or something.

Nodecraft is good and they're doing a "50% off your first month" sale.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Necrosaro posted:

The real enemy in this game is tree physics.

https://i.imgur.com/mFTcwqn.mp4

Edit: Is there a trick to snapping stuff "under" stuff? For instance, putting pillars/beams under piers or stilts under low houses? It's the only thing I havent figured out a reliable method for other than pixel-crawling until I find a particular spot.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 19, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The very fist tree I cut down went physics crazy, the bottom kicked oit instead of the tree falling over and it gunned me before I even knew what happened. I've been playing nonstop ever since.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fishstick posted:

Edit: Is there a trick to snapping stuff "under" stuff? For instance, putting pillars/beams under piers or stilts under low houses? It's the only thing I havent figured out a reliable method for other than pixel-crawling until I find a particular spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJlOiNsmQI

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I noticed that while I couldn't damage a giant oak tree, falling trees sure could. So I basically sent a barrage of trees down onto it until it fell. Then I realize I could push the log up a hill, so queue a half hour of my rolling the giant oak log up a hill and then letting it go to crash into trees that would fall over and damage it. Finally got the wood from it and was saddened to learn all I could make from it was new furniture.

Also, I cleared out my first crypt last night. Found a bunch of bones and cubes and gems. Another couple and I'll probably look into finding a seed with an easily accessible merchant.

All in all I'm incredibly stoked to see what this game will bring in the future. There are a few planned updates but given their sales and the hype, I wonder if they'll plan more, or do expansions

It reminds me of Conan Exiles, but somehow better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Also, I cleared out my first crypt last night. Found a bunch of bones and cubes and gems. Another couple and I'll probably look into finding a seed with an easily accessible merchant.

If you are that early in your game, I'd say spend at least a bit of time making the Karve (2nd boat) and sailing around your starting island to look for him, most of the time I've heard people find him somewhere on the islands next to it (I did in my own and our MP server)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

TeaJay posted:

If you are that early in your game, I'd say spend at least a bit of time making the Karve (2nd boat) and sailing around your starting island to look for him, most of the time I've heard people find him somewhere on the islands next to it (I did in my own and our MP server)

Anyone else finding him near the start? I'm just going where the wind takes me. We've reached the edge already.

If he's not a 2km distance reveal, do I need to get out at every Black Forest and run through it or will the shore be close enough?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd just use a seed to shop, honestly. My friends spent six hours looking, we still haven't found him on our two week old server with us scattering across the world.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone else finding him near the start? I'm just going where the wind takes me. We've reached the edge already.

If he's not a 2km distance reveal, do I need to get out at every Black Forest and run through it or will the shore be close enough?

I used that 42069lolxd seed and the merchant wasn't where the map I found pointed to (south) but instead east. It was a relatively short run from a shoreline after a little boating over to fight the elder. I dunno why it wasn't where I expected it to be though, maybe I needed a caps or something?

Is there a gear recommendation for swamps? I floated around until I found one and the leeches weren't bad but the draugr were pretty tough, and their arrows hurt like hell. I saw the green torch spot, and I think two crypts near it, but I dunno if I need to upgrade my junk or what before trying to get into the crypts. It's just bronze armor/shield with bronze sword/spear/mace at level one. Maybe I need to bother finding bees and making potions or something?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Most of my little compound is humble, but I like my shelving. I'm about to do a rebuild/expansion with stone, so hopefully, I can bring the rest up to par.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Synnr posted:

I used that 42069lolxd seed and the merchant wasn't where the map I found pointed to (south) but instead east. It was a relatively short run from a shoreline after a little boating over to fight the elder. I dunno why it wasn't where I expected it to be though, maybe I needed a caps or something?

Is there a gear recommendation for swamps? I floated around until I found one and the leeches weren't bad but the draugr were pretty tough, and their arrows hurt like hell. I saw the green torch spot, and I think two crypts near it, but I dunno if I need to upgrade my junk or what before trying to get into the crypts. It's just bronze armor/shield with bronze sword/spear/mace at level one. Maybe I need to bother finding bees and making potions or something?

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lfebk8/trader_seed_and_map/

This one?

You can upgrade your bronze, if they're hurting too much. But I found that just grabbing level 1 Iron stuff after a couple of painful attempts was enough to make the swamps a non issue

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Synnr posted:

I did my first crypt runs wearing level 2 troll armor, level 3 bronze mace, sword and shield. You should probably take the time to make poison resistance because otherwise you will need to bow down every slime and it's just all around going to be a slog. 6 poison resistance potions was enough to raid 3 crypts before running out, but at that point my boat and personal inventories were full.

I had heard that the mace was better against draugr but I'm really only seeing a boost against the slimes. Personally I prefer the fast attack of the sword over the knock back from the mace.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Making my own dedicated Valheim server was surprisingly easy. All I had to do was install Ubuntu on a VM & follow instructions here: https://linuxgsm.com/lgsm/vhserver/

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh, I guess I wasn't doing a crypt, I was doing a barrow? Whatever is in the Black Forest.

I normally really dislike drop loot on death, corpse run type games, but for some reason I'm enjoying this and it's somewhat exhilarating.

That said, I haven't had an attack on my base yet, but I do wish I could toggle raids or invasions or whatever off. At least until I take the time to make a proper base with walls and such.

Though if I do wond up doing lots of flattening/building/etc land I will mostly likely console in stone, because eff spending (and mining) thousands of stone to do it.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

dogstile posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lfebk8/trader_seed_and_map/

This one?

You can upgrade your bronze, if they're hurting too much. But I found that just grabbing level 1 Iron stuff after a couple of painful attempts was enough to make the swamps a non issue

Yeah that one. I have no idea why, I seem to have written it correctly. At least I found the guy.

CRAYON posted:

I did my first crypt runs wearing level 2 troll armor, level 3 bronze mace, sword and shield. You should probably take the time to make poison resistance because otherwise you will need to bow down every slime and it's just all around going to be a slog. 6 poison resistance potions was enough to raid 3 crypts before running out, but at that point my boat and personal inventories were full.

I had heard that the mace was better against draugr but I'm really only seeing a boost against the slimes. Personally I prefer the fast attack of the sword over the knock back from the mace.

Well I can make poison pots, it'll just take a bit. I didn't REALLY want to upgrade stuff needs copper was getting tedious but I suppose I can just drop a portal and forge stuff somewhere after finding another collection of ores. Maybe I'll plop a portal over by the swamp and try a suicidal run to see how tough it gets or if I can cheese my way around.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I think I was pretty lucky with where my trader was. You can basically see on the map where I noticed the tag and turned left.

Also, I almost want to kill Moder again for her trophy, but she's such a pain to summon solo. Decisions, decisions...

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Making my own dedicated Valheim server was surprisingly easy. All I had to do was install Ubuntu on a VM & follow instructions here: https://linuxgsm.com/lgsm/vhserver/

I also just made a dedicated server for a group of friends, and the most difficult stuff was working through the port forwarding on my unusual network configuration. Used SteamCMD on a fresh Win10 system and it was a breeze.

I realized I didn't have a power supply for my old i7 920 system, but had a newer system with an i3 7100 that's actually not too shabby! We get a little bit of lag when chopping down trees but it's manageable. Hoping to get all 5 of us in the server at the same time this weekend to see how bad it gets.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Abisteen posted:

If you’re willing to a bit more tinkering you can get a Google VPS (a virtual machine) going for free for 90 days and more credit than you could realistically use. Doesn’t auto charge you either. You could be up and running in about 15 minutes and have full access to your files and so forth. Nothing against the services that just just the server for you, but they’re doing the same thing and charging you for the trouble.

Shoot me a PM of you have any questions and I can help walk you through.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any ideas why wall sconces sometimes randomly go out? They all have same amount of fuel, some locations on the walls just can't keep a sconce burning.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Broken Cog posted:

I think I was pretty lucky with where my trader was. You can basically see on the map where I noticed the tag and turned left.

Also, I almost want to kill Moder again for her trophy, but she's such a pain to summon solo. Decisions, decisions...

This is exactly what I needed, thanks. I strafed three islands last night and still haven't found him. Guess I'm heading to the southeast corner tonight :sigh:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TeaJay posted:

Any ideas why wall sconces sometimes randomly go out? They all have same amount of fuel, some locations on the walls just can't keep a sconce burning.

maybe smoke buildup, like with fires?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Daedalus1134 posted:

Slowly building my Elven Village/Channelwood after seeing a particularly angled tree over a river. Trees count as solid ground, so as long as the trees are close enough together to link up you could essentially build forever.

Getting some serious Kelethin vibes from this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
One day a random troll attack is going to make you very, very sad :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I uhhh I really should have done more work today but they just extended our lockdown by 9 weeks so....

I tried to set down the stone paths and they were ugly as hell so instead I set about paving areas properly, this is a lot of stone that I dug out in my portal quarry.

Here's the bridge I wanted to build since I moved here, it leads back towards my tiny farmhouse I built on first night. The house with the chimney is an old abandoned one I fixed up. Also that little raft was a godsend, I dunno how else to make bridges, even if I can't sail under it.

And finally for today the side of my new house (with some of the stumps from the metric gently caress tonne of trees I needed to plant) and my smithy area which is closed off in case of fires

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cleaning up stumps is an annoying chore but you gotta do it. :v:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I get totally trigged by my servermates leaving stumps around

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Most of my little compound is humble, but I like my shelving. I'm about to do a rebuild/expansion with stone, so hopefully, I can bring the rest up to par.

Why do people use the small chests instead of the large ones for this?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

In my case, my storage system was built with small chests because that's all I had access to when I built it. I imagine I will eventually rebuild it with the iron chests but it's a low priority.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Some of us like to build with (fantasy) realism and aesthetics in mind, not some gamey trick, thank you! :colbert:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

dialhforhero posted:

Some of us like to build with (fantasy) realism and aesthetics in mind, not some gamey trick, thank you! :colbert:

Shelves?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Can anyone confirm if sconces burn resin more efficiently than regular torch stands? I haven't been able to do a good side by side experiment but it certainly seems like it takes longer to consume a resin in addition to being able to store 6 at a time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok forget my comment about birds earlier, the best way to get feathers seems to be Black Forest burial mounds and crypts. I got 40 from 2 while looking for Surtling cores.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Scoss posted:

Can anyone confirm if sconces burn resin more efficiently than regular torch stands? I haven't been able to do a good side by side experiment but it certainly seems like it takes longer to consume a resin in addition to being able to store 6 at a time.

I can't be sure but anecodotally it sure seems like it. Ive refilled torch stands more than the few sconces I have.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

:stare:
I started playing last night at about 6, blinked, and it was 11.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

:stare:
I started playing last night at about 6, blinked, and it was 11.

Yeah I got a feeling my weekend is about to evaporate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I killed the second boss. What now? I found a swamp but it's very far away. Should I try to build a forward base there, or will it be too hostile? How do I keep it from getting destroyed basically.