Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

D-Pad posted:

If you don't live in an apartment this should be your push to get a generator.

I will second this. The guy I bought my house from had a generator and hook up to the main for it installed (it has set 20 years without being touched and luckily I had it looked at this fall by a small engine guy when I was getting the lawnmower tuned). It kept the heat running and we were also able to get some wifi and Netflix running. After 30+ hours without power, I will have this added to any house I move to in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Ted’s only a simple country lawyer U.S. Senator, what could he have possibly done to help

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1362816534582853642

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

smoobles posted:

Anyone else struggling with the mental whiplash of going from survival mode, back to white collar dumb internet job? Power is back but I feel like I just woke up from the worst nightmare and can't focus on anything, except being angry at Ted Cruz and the state government. Maybe we all got mild ptsd or something lmao

Even when the power is on, it doesn't feel real. There's a part of me that's waiting for it to turn back off the entire time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What the gently caress are they pretending to pull, what federal rules are standing in the way of them getting back into working order aside from "don't loving break down in the first place you goddamn idiots"

Blotto_Otter posted:

Ted’s only a simple country lawyer U.S. Senator, what could he have possibly done to help

If only he was as powerful and influential as a jobless man like Beto O'Rourke.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, I get the posters point there, but I actually prefer Cruz loving off to Cornyn getting praised by a literal cartel for helping them in a time of crisis to avoid laws protecting consumers and their workers.

Gromble
Aug 4, 2007
pop
Slippery Tilde
It was this DOE order: https://www.energy.gov/oe/downloads/federal-power-act-section-202c-ercot-february-2021. It temporarily suspended potential permitting issues (mostly emissions limits, as far as I can tell) to allow all power plants to generate as much power as possible during the emergency. Not sure what Cornyn's involvement would be though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

After all this I have decided to exercise my power as a consumer in the ultra-libertatian Texas power market.

The plants generating electricity for me didn't do a good job, and my electric delivery company hasn't done a good job repairing our infrastructure. I will vote with my wallet.

How do I switch to a different plant and delivery company? Surely in this freedom-covered capitalist wonderland my choice as a consumer is the invisible hand that guides the market.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
For electricity? I don't think you can. All you can pick is which futures/gambling middleman-whatever you get to send money to.

Maybe you can take them at their word and believe them when they say plan XYZ only uses [type] power, but I have no idea if those are legally binding statements, etc.

I did take CenterPoint off of auto-pay in case they try to gently caress me with a zillion dollar gas bill because they all decided rules are for losers.

e: oh :thejoke: ughh... My funny bones must have not thawed yet.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 19, 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
:thejoke:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Wait so in this market, which I was assured is the most free in the nation, I am forced to give my money to a single seller who is not chosen by me? There is no actual invisible hand guiding this market, since demand forces are strong and inelastic?

Hmm. Well that can't be all bad. Surely since there is no competition and all market participants are chosen by outside forces that have nothing to do with the consumer this is all government-run? Or at least regulated and overseen by the government?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Manager Hoyden posted:

After all this I have decided to exercise my power as a consumer in the ultra-libertatian Texas power market.

The plants generating electricity for me didn't do a good job, and my electric delivery company hasn't done a good job repairing our infrastructure. I will vote with my wallet.

How do I switch to a different plant and delivery company? Surely in this freedom-covered capitalist wonderland my choice as a consumer is the invisible hand that guides the market.

There are a couple solar/green only companies. I wish I could recommend one, but my power goes out at least once a month because of nearby construction so I can’t recommend my provider, chariot.

You can use Ogre Energy to find you the “cheapest” electric provider. It’s a subscription service, but there’s not much stopping you from canceling once they’ve found you the cheapest option.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

LLSix posted:

There are a couple solar/green only companies. I wish I could recommend one, but my power goes out at least once a month because of nearby construction so I can’t recommend my provider, chariot.

You can use Ogre Energy to find you the “cheapest” electric provider. It’s a subscription service, but there’s not much stopping you from canceling once they’ve found you the cheapest option.

No no, I don't mean which retailer/speculator "sells" me whatever energy credits they bought on a pretend market, I mean the people who actually generate the electricity and the people who service the infrastructure. I want to choose different ones, as a consumer in a free market.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
How long are you planning on doing this bit so I'll know when to tune back into the thread?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dameius posted:

How long are you planning on doing this bit so I'll know when to tune back into the thread?

At least another few days friend

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
M'kay have fun.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Seriously though, I really would change my electricity delivery company if I could. Oncor sucks and really has no motivation to get any better. How are these companies chosen to service these different regions?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dameius posted:

M'kay have fun.

bye weirdo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gromble posted:

It was this DOE order: https://www.energy.gov/oe/downloads/federal-power-act-section-202c-ercot-february-2021. It temporarily suspended potential permitting issues (mostly emissions limits, as far as I can tell) to allow all power plants to generate as much power as possible during the emergency. Not sure what Cornyn's involvement would be though.

to be fair as much as a glory hog Cornyn's pathetic rear end is the DoE probably did call texas lawmakers and all to ask what the specific issue is and how best to target it and all so while I doubt Cornyn literally kicked the door into the DoE and shouted "YOU MUST SUSPEND PERMITS OR WE'LL DIE" he probably did say 'yea grid's hosed, whatever you can do to let our plants start spinning turbines as fast as possible would help'.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Senator Cornyn, my name is Lizzie and I'm eight years old. Please sir, my family has been without power and water for days in freezing temperatures and we need relief. Could you use your influence on the state legislature to alleviate our situation by letting us buy new vehicles directly from the manufacturer?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The past 24-32 hours is the first time I've had consistent power since Monday. Water never went out, but the internet went down in the Valley (at least for Spectrum) for several days. McAllen isn't under a boil water notice, but the neighboring municipalities are, which makes me think that either McAllen got very lucky (doubtful) or they're not being upfront about fully testing the water (more likely). A few friends up in Nac said that they have no water, period. HEB is picked clean of essentials and Sprout's isn't too far behind (although they did have fresh produce and a cases of water). Gas is out in most stations. I'd say that it's a good two weeks of survival mode here until the supply chain starts to kick in again. Strangely, I'm really dipping into my pandemic supply (powdered milk, 50lb bag of flour, etc.) for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

This is beyond hosed up. First a deadly pandemic, then Hurricane Hannah, then our Civil War Lite, now a rapetastic blizzard whose consequences were totally preventable. For actual property damage, I'd say Hurricane Hannah was more impactful for me, but this one will be a slow burn (thaw?) as the full extent of the infrastructural damage comes to light in the coming months.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I got my water back at 3:15 and it cut off again 20 minutes later. Thanks SAWS for a taste of normalcy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/taygoldenstein/status/1362879627912499202

Looking up at the sky shading my eyes as it is blotted out ala the first act of Independence Day but instead of aliens it's OH WORD?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Also, hot take regarding the whole Flyin' Ted thing: isn't the real cause that those loving kids have the biggest case of affluenza since that guy in Dallas slaughtered like 6 people with his pickup?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lost water at 10am today, still haven't gotten it back since!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

IT BURNS posted:

Also, hot take regarding the whole Flyin' Ted thing: isn't the real cause that those loving kids have the biggest case of affluenza since that guy in Dallas slaughtered like 6 people with his pickup?

flyin' ted is good, i like that

also if you saw the group chat messages published in wapo, the whole thing was heidi's idea

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
So thankfully you don't have to do work searches for unemployment this week or next week I was really worried they were going to pull some bullshit and try to not pay people.

Also check your energy bills if your power was off I wouldn't put it pass them to try and charge you for power they weren't giving

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

IT BURNS posted:

I'm pretty sure flyin' Ted has blamed everyone in his family but himself at this point.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

SirKibbles posted:

Also check your energy bills if your power was off I wouldn't put it pass them to try and charge you for power they weren't giving

Apparently people are getting hit with multiple thousand dollar bills because wholesale energy prices went through the roof during the crisis.

The electric company's solution? Change providers :capitalism:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

The past 24-32 hours is the first time I've had consistent power since Monday. Water never went out, but the internet went down in the Valley (at least for Spectrum) for several days. McAllen isn't under a boil water notice, but the neighboring municipalities are, which makes me think that either McAllen got very lucky (doubtful) or they're not being upfront about fully testing the water (more likely). A few friends up in Nac said that they have no water, period. HEB is picked clean of essentials and Sprout's isn't too far behind (although they did have fresh produce and a cases of water). Gas is out in most stations. I'd say that it's a good two weeks of survival mode here until the supply chain starts to kick in again. Strangely, I'm really dipping into my pandemic supply (powdered milk, 50lb bag of flour, etc.) for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

This is beyond hosed up. First a deadly pandemic, then Hurricane Hannah, then our Civil War Lite, now a rapetastic blizzard whose consequences were totally preventable. For actual property damage, I'd say Hurricane Hannah was more impactful for me, but this one will be a slow burn (thaw?) as the full extent of the infrastructural damage comes to light in the coming months.

I was lucky in only having power go out for about 12 hours for this week, I can say Spectrum never really died when my power was on, central McAllen here, even during the worst parts of the weather down here. Which is surprising since Spectrum's infrastructure loving suuuuucks. Gas stations have been getting resupplied since late night Wednesday, and most rural out of the way stations never really went empty thankfully. I'm not even going to THINK about grocery shopping until like Sunday at the earliest though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Went to HEB today, I'm still on a boil water notice, but luckily they still had packs of water bottles. Prepackaged lunch meat and cheese was completely wiped out, bread was almost completely gone save for the expensive potato bread, the meat department was like 90% empty, but there was plenty of beyond meat. We had gotten Indian food at the end of last week, and unfortunately have to toss those leftovers :(

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/jarjarfan69/status/1362745205795872768?s=21

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jerry Jones deserves an intensely negative ending to his story.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CPS Energy doesn’t have specific numbers but the spot price for fuel got so high they’re taking about having to spread it out over 10 to 15 years or do a bond to cover it.

I think the news said they blew through all their cash and had to tap credit to pay for fuel. This poo poo is hosed. Hope they figure something out with the providers.

https://twitter.com/cpsenergy/status/1362940962280935428?s=21

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1362989479154212869

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't really get why the stores got cleaned out of food. Do people need to eat more when the power or water is out? I'm sure people lost a lot of refrigerated food that went bad, but still...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Same.

Number_6 posted:

I don't really get why the stores got cleaned out of food. Do people need to eat more when the power or water is out? I'm sure people lost a lot of refrigerated food that went bad, but still...

Just In Time Logistics, and stores/shoppers have been down for at least a week by now.

e: also that vvvv

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 20, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Here it was a combination of people buying extra groceries prior to the storms, then the power outages leading to the grocers trashing their perishable stock. Both grocery stores nearest to me trashed everything, four days of no power.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
My local store gets its trucks on Tuesdays too so they were already near the end of their stock before the storm hit. Even just one interrupted delivery can shut things down quick.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's because of uncertainty. You don't know if you'll be able to get to stores next week, so you stock up for safety. There are situations where a crisis can leave you unable to get anything for weeks. Or leave the store unable to get more stock. Some people might even not have a week's food on hand regularly for whatever reason and aren't prepared.

But I think for the most part, aside from bottled water being essential if your water supply goes bad or you need to turn off your water because your pipes burst, I think a lot of people are doing a lot of guessing about what they might need because they haven't actually lived through a crisis where all the food's just gone or they're stranded in their own homes for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/19/texas-heb-lost-power/