Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Baconroll posted:

From the BBC - Covid: Man offered vaccine after error lists him as 6.2cm tall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-56111209

A man in his 30s with no underlying health conditions was offered a Covid vaccine after an NHS error mistakenly listed him as just 6.2cm in height.

Liam Thorp was told he qualified for the jab because his measurements gave him a body mass index of 28,000.

Liam "Degenerate Matter Man" Thorp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nice try

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1362794351416537096?s=21

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Denying people a second dose is turbo hosed no matter how they got it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I guess its good that they want to get it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found out my county in PA is scheduling people who registered the day before I registered for vaccines now, hopefully I'm coming up soon. Unfortunately 30,000 people signed up for a vaccine the day before I did which is the biggest group by far but still, it's nice to see I wasn't passed or anything.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Had my second Pfizer yesterday at 8am, got sick about 24 hours after. I have an autoimmune disease and take immunosuppressants so I have no idea if any of this applies to anyone else, but I've currently got - arm much more sore than after the first shot, chills, exhaustion, diarrhea, severe stomach cramps. Just told all of my clients for today that I was cancelling and am gathering energy to go back to my room and take a shower.

Super happy I got the vaccine and that it seems to be doing something at least.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

explosivo posted:

I found out my county in PA is scheduling people who registered the day before I registered for vaccines now, hopefully I'm coming up soon. Unfortunately 30,000 people signed up for a vaccine the day before I did which is the biggest group by far but still, it's nice to see I wasn't passed or anything.

Is this a thing a person can do in California? I found a county-level notification list and signed up for that, but is there something else I should be doing to get my spot in line?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Steely Dad posted:

Is this a thing a person can do in California? I found a county-level notification list and signed up for that, but is there something else I should be doing to get my spot in line?

That sounds like the same thing I did. Mine has a web portal that basically talks about what stage we're in with some vaccine info and has a google form link to sign up for one through the county. Then there's like a little spreadsheet list that shows how many people signed up on each day in January so I can loosely surmise where I am in line.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Steely Dad posted:

The state site is https://myturn.ca.gov/, which might give you an idea. Otherwise, it really depends on the county.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xcheopis posted:

The state site is https://myturn.ca.gov/, which might give you an idea. Otherwise, it really depends on the county.

Yeah that just redirects me to the county which sucks because the county my dad is in gets like almost no doses per week so he won’t be getting his jab for god knows how long.

I know that LA county is also having issues getting doses.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

Had my second Pfizer yesterday at 8am, got sick about 24 hours after. I have an autoimmune disease and take immunosuppressants so I have no idea if any of this applies to anyone else, but I've currently got - arm much more sore than after the first shot, chills, exhaustion, diarrhea, severe stomach cramps. Just told all of my clients for today that I was cancelling and am gathering energy to go back to my room and take a shower.

Super happy I got the vaccine and that it seems to be doing something at least.

I'm on xeljanz and methotrexate and the only issues I had with the second shot were deep arm pain and a day of "malaise" so bad that it took a powerful act of will to get out of bed and walk across the room to get my morning coffee.
Then I slept heavily that night and woke up with just arm pain.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Got my first Pfizer jab yesterday even though I was still testing positive for covid as of last week. Guess what it still makes me feel like poo poo !

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

With this Pfizer news about dose #1 granting 85% immunity, I've decided to get an antibodies test at the 14-day mark next Tues, out of curiosity (got a clinic that does them free w/ my insurance). Will obv still get shot 2 regardless, but I'll let the thread know in case anyone's curious about one humble anecdote on the single shot.

My fascination w/ my own immune system supercedes my fear of getting stabbed in the finger for a test.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Our national health care agency just released an update saying that with the current flow of vaccines we will hit the herd immunity in mid-2022.

I am really starting to think using my business visa to go to Russia and get a jab of the Sputnik; are there any actual non-Russian sources on how it works?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Der Kyhe posted:

Our national health care agency just released an update saying that with the current flow of vaccines we will hit the herd immunity in mid-2022.

Jesus that's insane, where do you live?

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Dumb question but someone please remind me of the “wear order” of a KN95 + a surgical or cloth mask if you want to double mask.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im gonna get vaccinated but GOD gently caress do i hate its in 2 doses
i have a needle phobia and while i can just about tolerate it if its a once-every-year thing like the flu jab or whatever, two is loving pushing it

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

smoobles posted:

loving A, in Finland. Our national health administration is having a political slapfight on getting the "other" vaccinations that aren't Pfizer actually approved and used because of EU bureaucracy, while we are also one of the only EU countries the Russians would be willing to provide Sputnik on "we get along enough"-basis.

EDIT: not as in "We will send you vials" but as in "if you have a visa to Russia visit us, go to a private clinic and you will get one because you are eligible to get one"

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 19, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cretin90 posted:

Dumb question but someone please remind me of the “wear order” of a KN95 + a surgical or cloth mask if you want to double mask.

KN95 goes against your skin. Surgical/cloth mask should only be necessary if the filter mask has a vent that lets your breath out unfiltered.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

More importantly what's the bottleneck there? Is it obtaining the doses, getting enough staff to jab people, or getting people to places to be jabbed? I mean barring an absolute catastrophe when we transition to second doses (not, by any means, unlikely) the UK is on-track to have it done before flu season kicks off, and I refuse to believe, given... just about loving everything that's happened in the last year, that we're *that* far ahead of the curve.

e:

Der Kyhe posted:

loving A, in Finland. Our national health administration is having a political slapfight on getting the "other" vaccinations that aren't Pfizer actually approved and used because of EU bureaucracy, while we are also one of the only EU countries the Russians would be willing to provide Sputnik on "we get along enough"-basis.

Ah okay, plus also a more spread-out population which - as I understand from My Summer Car - is often drunkenly wandering through forests after crashing their car trying to get a packet of sausages open, so harder to find and jab.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 19, 2021

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

withak posted:

KN95 goes against your skin. Surgical/cloth mask should only be necessary if the filter mask has a vent that lets your breath out unfiltered.

Newer advice is to wear two masks even without a vent.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

hbag posted:

i have a needle phobia and while i can just about tolerate it if its a once-every-year thing like the flu jab or whatever, two is loving pushing it

My needle phobia only got worse following cancer treatment but I honestly didn't feel my last two flu shots at all. Flu vaccine is pre-packaged as a single dose here, though. Goodness knows what syringes will be used for drawing up doses from multi-dose vials

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

More importantly what's the bottleneck there? Is it obtaining the doses, getting enough staff to jab people, or getting people to places to be jabbed? I mean barring an absolute catastrophe when we transition to second doses (not, by any means, unlikely) the UK is on-track to have it done before flu season kicks off, and I refuse to believe, given... just about loving everything that's happened in the last year, that we're *that* far ahead of the curve.

e:

Ah okay, plus also a more spread-out population which - as I understand from My Summer Car - is often drunkenly wandering through forests after crashing their car trying to get a packet of sausages open, so harder to find and jab.

This, and because the Russians for whatever reason seem to like us. We were part of the same country some hundred years ago, and barring the wars in the 20's. Or 30's ...and next time in the 40's with Nazis. Well let's say all sorts of crazy poo poo happened but still, we are still their cousins. Probably with the same amount of insanity and alcohol, maybe a tad bit less of meth and crocodile.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It’s cause the UK gets tons of vaccines from the EU, in addition to its own products.

The EU doesn’t get anything from elsewhere, and also supplies other countries. Such as the UK.

So yeah, you are doing very well.

Edit: if you ask why, it’s because we are dumb as poo poo. Every other Western country immediately ensured 100% of its own vaccine production would stay in its own borders. Every single one.

We somehow thought... this would not happen?
I dunno.
So now we have basically no vaccines for ourselves, having sent the large majority of doses to other countries.

Next election everyone gonna vote far right and that’s that I guess.

Also, some pharmaceutical investors made a lot of money

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 19, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

hbag posted:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Needle Phobia Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Look Away From The Shot Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Der Kyhe posted:

I am really starting to think using my business visa to go to Russia and get a jab of the Sputnik; are there any actual non-Russian sources on how it works?

Based off the current rates of delivery and injections Canada will hit herd immunity in 2028.

I wish I was joking.

But at least my awesome 90 year old grandma got her first shot today! :unsmith:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Haramstufe Rot posted:

It’s cause the UK gets tons of vaccines from the EU, in addition to its own products.

The EU doesn’t get anything from elsewhere, and also supplies other countries. Such as the UK.

So yeah, you are doing very well.

Edit: if you ask why, it’s because we are dumb as poo poo. Every other Western country immediately ensured 100% of its own vaccine production would stay in its own borders. Every single one.

We somehow thought... this would not happen?
I dunno.
So now we have basically no vaccines for ourselves, having sent the large majority of doses to other countries.

Next election everyone gonna vote far right and that’s that I guess.

Also, some pharmaceutical investors made a lot of money

...And our country is being stupid wankers with the approval process and our own national vaccine is 2 years into development because they wanted to go with the "1-time mouth spray". Seriously. So yes this is the reason.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Based off the current rates of delivery and injections Canada will hit herd immunity in 2028.

I wish I was joking.

Canada also has ZERO doses manufactured in Canada because we outsourced the vaccine production years ago :iia:

But at least my awesome 90 year old grandma got her first shot today! (2 months behind the rest of the developed world and weeks after she was promised but oh well) :unsmith:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
quote is not edit

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

stab posted:

I wish I was joking.

But at least my awesome 90 year old grandma got her first shot today! :unsmith:

I mean sure but that's inherently misleading since the amount of vaccines we're supposed to get will increase dramatically and already has started to increase.

Edit: glad to hear about your grandma, hopefully my 86 year old grandma gets her turn soon.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

I mean sure but that's inherently misleading since the amount of vaccines we're supposed to get will increase dramatically and already has started to increase.

Edit: glad to hear about your grandma, hopefully my 86 year old grandma gets her turn soon.

You trust our federal and provincial governments to be able to handle a mass vaccination of this magnitude?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steely Dad posted:

Newer advice is to wear two masks even without a vent.

”Do not combine a KN95 mask with any other mask.”

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

stab posted:

I wish I was joking.

Canada also has ZERO doses manufactured in Canada because we outsourced the vaccine production years ago :iia:

But at least my awesome 90 year old grandma got her first shot today! (2 months behind the rest of the developed world and weeks after she was promised but oh well) :unsmith:

The US has ordered more vaccines than we need. I have to assume Canada and Mexico will be the first countries we reach out to with the extra doses.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

...And our country is being stupid wankers with the approval process and our own national vaccine is 2 years into development because they wanted to go with the "1-time mouth spray". Seriously. So yes this is the reason.

We also did the thing where for any amount of money given to a German company for vaccines that exist, an equal amount of money must go to a French company. That said French company never made a vaccine is a minor detail that doesn’t matter.

So when the company with the best vaccine in the world came to us to offer just about enough doses to vaccinate most of the EU, we went and said: yeah no, we take half. Also deliver abroad first lol.

We are literal idiots. There’s no excuse.

That’s okay though because in autumn there’s super elections in Germany and we are gonna vote for Adolf Hitler 2.0

Edit: it’s actually not so cool just to be clear

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 19, 2021

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Weird. Google is full of results from reputable people saying that double masking is a good idea. I don’t pretend to have any authority on the issue, just repeating what I’ve read.

Got it, they’re recommending against it for KN95s, but they do recommend it for the disposable + cloth combo.

They also recommend against KN95s if you have a beard, but like... is that worse than wearing another type of mask if you have a beard?

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 19, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hmm, i've been layering a cloth gaiter over my KN95 when I was going into work. I guess this does kind of smoosh the mask in closer to my nose/mouth which maybe is the issue? I wish it said why they say this.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

pro starcraft loser posted:

The US has ordered more vaccines than we need. I have to assume Canada and Mexico will be the first countries we reach out to with the extra doses.

Canada has ordered enough to literally vaccinate every canadian 5 times.

Just nobody is sending them, and Health Canada is dragging their asses (rightfully) on vaccine approval (only moderna and pfizer are okayed here)

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Steely Dad posted:

They also recommend against KN95s if you have a beard, but like... is that worse than wearing another type of mask if you have a beard?

You're wasting the KN95 if you can't get a good seal against the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Was on base today. Fort Gordon has signs everywhere pointing you to vaccine tents but I honestly have no idea where or how people signed up. I sure as hell haven't been told anything other than to just show up on the 31st of March at the hospital.

Any vaccine is better than no vaccine but the idea that we may never go back to normal is literally something I can't deal with.