Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Ammonium chloride is the best ice cream flavor similar to how cold is best weather. -10 is enough tho, -20 like yesterday is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Giving people Salmiakk is hilarious, I actually think it's pretty good after eating it so much

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Gaius Marius posted:

Giving people Salmiakk is hilarious, I actually think it's pretty good after eating it so much

When I was a child some foreign exchange students who were staying at my house gave me some salmaikk liquorice and told me it was chocolate and sugar, which I foolishly believed. It was disgusting and it turned me off liquorice.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

salmiakki fisherman's friend is the only good candy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

independence day resurgence wouldve been good if it had had will smith again and explored his aging

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

It's not the only good candy but holy poo poo is it good. You'll forget you ever had a cold in your whole life with one lozenge. They're refreshing in a really awful way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fizzymercy posted:

It's not the only good candy but holy poo poo is it good. You'll forget you ever had a cold in your whole life with one lozenge. They're refreshing in a really awful way.

the snot particles are going all like "oh poo poo" when you eat a salmiakki fisherman's friend a second before theyre obliterated

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

independence day resurgence wouldve been good if it had had will smith again and explored his aging

Yeah, but then it would have had Jaden Smith in it and would have sucked. The whole reason they cut Will Smith from the sequel is because he insisted on having his kid in it too.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but then it would have had Jaden Smith in it and would have sucked.

Nah it would have been awesome. Jaden would have turned full face to the camera and said something like "do you think we are an alien to the other alien on their independence day?"

Will Smith would threaten to walk if it were cut. This would happen several times throughout the movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Seeing peoples' reactions to stuff like the Mars rover landing is just depressing and makes me feel like our education system has failed everyone. I see comments like "why do this when we still need stimulus checks" (or the "do you really believe this happened? It's all CGI" crowd) without any understanding of how much the project actually cost or how long it has been going on/how many people it has employed. 3 billion dollars to send a robot to another planet sounds like a lot, but when you consider it has been in development for almost a decade and made several peoples' careers, it sounds like a bargain compared to other government expenditures. And even if this money was taken from NASA, do you really think you'd see a dime of it? Even if you assume it would go 100% to the people, it wouldn't even fund half a percent of the cost of the stimulus check bills that went out.

I guess we can't get excited about cool stuff anymore, it has to be all doom and gloom. Will this rover solve any of the ongoing societal problems we are dealing with? No, but we wouldn't be where we are if we didn't pursue scientific advances just for the sake of advancing our state of knowledge, so can't we just say "that's neat" and move on instead of just making GBS threads on it?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Feb 19, 2021

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

mike and ikes, dots, and haribo cherries are all good candy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im a big tough guy and i only eat salmiakki fisherman's friend. it's the only candy for me

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

im a big tough guy and i only eat salmiakki fisherman's friend. it's the only candy for me

I'll be honest with you, I don't know what fisherman's friend is

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Badactura posted:

McCormick's Lemon and Pepper SeasoningTM

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Badactura posted:

It's like an altoid but double.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Badactura posted:

It's a beverage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a beverage.

I’m calling bullshit on the “the most popular shot in the world” claims there.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Well they said probably.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Annabel Pee posted:

Well they said probably.

“Possibly”, I could accept. “Probably” implies a non-trivial chance. :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It would be so wild if the new Mars Rover lander landed and turned on the camera and saw a dead body. And then it goes closer to get a better look and sees that the body has a gunshot wound on it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a beverage.

"many have tried without luck" is something I'd expect to see more on a tomb than on a bottle of booze, and I'd be into it if this stuff didn't contain licorice, one of the nastiest substances on planet Earth

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Wow, I want to try that stuff. I love the Fisherman's Friend lozenges. It doesn't look like it is easy to get in the US near me though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a beverage.

I like that the little fisherman on the label is like "yeah, nah".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a beverage.

This as a chaser for ice-cold light lager is the best thing ever since central heating and daylight-tinted light bulbs.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I guess I just don't see the point of Mars. It seems to be pretty dead. People even want to go there and live there in that hellscape in some lovely metal tube mars base in the future

It's like wanting to go to hell because it'd be exciting

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think the only reason nations have space programs anymore is to be able to make a reasonable claim of ownership once technology lets us mine/drill/frack in space.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Collapsing Farts posted:

I guess I just don't see the point of Mars. It seems to be pretty dead. People even want to go there and live there in that hellscape in some lovely metal tube mars base in the future

I think most of the people who say they want to live there just have seen The Martian too many times and want to be a cool "space pirate" as an escape from their current life. I certainly wouldn't want to, even though I believe there is scientific value in sending people there eventually - there's only so much rovers can do. And yeah it seems like just a bunch of rocks and dust, but we're still learning new things about it all the time. It's hard to say there's nothing to find without actually checking.

I personally don't see it happening any time soon though just because of how big of a PR risk it'd be - even if they made it there alive, the chances that they'd never come back seems pretty high...and if sending robots is such a hard sell these days, I don't see sacrificing some real lives going over well politically. If I were NASA I'd just do it quietly and only tell the public if it was successful, although that would really rile up the conspiracy theory crowd.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Collapsing Farts posted:

I think after the novelty wears off, nobody, even the World’s Biggest Internet Space Nerd, would enjoy living on Mars or would want to permanently live there. Maybe it could be a tourist attraction.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are people living in alaska and the Arctic why would mars be any different.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

silence_kit posted:

I think after the novelty wears off, nobody, even the World’s Biggest Internet Space Nerd, would enjoy living on Mars or would want to permanently live there. Maybe it could be a tourist attraction.

Unfortunately as the current understanding of physics goes, its one of the only places where we in theory can expand into, and most likely a place which we could make more habitable by creating a some sort of atmosphere. The other possibility is more or less Venus, where ironically we need to find a way to make the atmosphere to calm the gently caress down.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

There are people living in alaska and the Arctic why would mars be any different.

those places have air.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

those places have air.

Moon and Mars have air, its just under the surface and embedded into ice, which also gives us water.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I, personally, don't want to go to Mars but I think lots of other people should. Exploration and adventure and science are all super cool.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Seems like it would just be easier to bring Mars to us but w/e

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Der Kyhe posted:

Moon and Mars have air, its just under the surface and embedded into ice, which also gives us water.

Please tell me you actually understand the practical difference between being able to take a boat somewhere and get out of the boat and breathe air, and having to take a rocket to a place and then having to create the atmosphere yourself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is no difference

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If air's so real how come I can't see it?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

theres nothing to be gained

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys are seriously underestimating the evolutionary pressure that would be in affect on the martian surface. People that live in the Andes and other places with low amounts of oxygen have adapted just fine. Even the fact that human's breathe oxygen is merely a coincidence, caused by the highly oxygenated environment on earth. After a few generations living on Mars people will quickly shift from needing to breath air to being able to breathe space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Elon Musk is the father.