Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Imagine if the punishment for stealing a car is merely having to return it to the owner. I hate these weak rear end tenancy and employment dispute resolution boards where the side with all the power gets unlimited free rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

yippee cahier posted:

Imagine if the punishment for stealing a car is merely having to return it to the owner. I hate these weak rear end tenancy and employment dispute resolution boards where the side with all the power gets unlimited free rolls.

And also after stealing the car you get to write them a notice that the car actually belongs to you anyways and you have two months to give it to them.

I can't imagine ever actually disputing the actions of your landlord no matter what slimy poo poo they did, they'll just evict you some other way as soon as possible then raise the rent as much as they want later because they don't want you around anymore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

yippee cahier posted:

YOU WOULDN'T COPY A TENANCY

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rutibex posted:

oh no spraying DDT is discouraging the mosquitos! :ohdear:

yeah... it's a head scratcher

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

we just introduced a vacant property tax in toronto, to discourage empty "investment" properties. naturally, TREB busted out that exact same line about how this would discourage landlords and affect the rental market.

I know right? Can you imagine if a shitload of landlords decided to sell and the condo market bottomed out and people could afford to buy them?! Total chaos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

I know right? Can you imagine if a shitload of landlords decided to sell and the condo market bottomed out and people could afford to buy them?! Total chaos

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes…
The dead rising from the grave.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

BUT WON’T ANYONE THINK OF THE HOUSING MARKET!?!?!?! :supaburn:

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Low income landlords are gettin screwed in pei!!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

linoleum floors posted:

Low income landlords are gettin screwed in pei!!

Not hard enough

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...r-homeless.html

quote:

The City of Toronto has applied for an injunction to stop a local carpenter from erecting small, wooden shelters on city-owned land meant to shelter the homeless through the winter.

The carpenter named in the application, Khaleel Seivwright, has attracted attention during the pandemic for building small, wooden shelters for people living outside. Speaking to the Star in November, Seivwright said the shelters cost roughly $1,000 a piece to build, and are designed to keep people warm — with foam on the outside, and a vapour barrier on the inside.

But city officials have raised alarms about the structures, issuing a letter to Seivwright in November that claimed he was interfering with efforts to relocate people indoors, demanding that he “immediately cease the production, distribution, supply and installation” of the structures, and warning that he could otherwise be held responsible for the costs of removal.

Days later, a GoFundMe page for the shelter project was updated to say that Seivwright wouldn’t be dissuaded by the city warning: “The city has threatened to remove the shelters that we have been building and I want to be clear that we are going to continue to build them.”

Then, last week, a change of course. An update to the page dated Feb. 11 said no new shelters would be built, though maintenance on existing structures would continue. The city’s injunction filing is dated the next day, on Feb. 12. Efforts by the Star to contact Seivwright by telephone, email and through the lawyer listed for him on the application went unanswered by time of publication Friday.

Encampments have increasingly sprung up across Toronto during the pandemic, with hundreds still believed to be living outside. That increase has come with an uptick in encampment fires, with a more than 250 per cent increase in reported blazes from 2019 to 2020, and an increase reported by health care workers in cold-weather afflictions like frostbite among the homeless.

The Star has spoken with occupants of the wooden structures in recent months, with several noting they stayed warmer than a tent and felt safer, with a lock at the door. At a committee meeting in December, Seivwright told councillors that the structures were meant to maintain a temperature of 18 to 20 C using only body heat, even as the weather dipped below freezing.

He presented the tiny shelters as a way to reduce fire risk. On his GoFundMe page, the shelters were described as an alternative to “sleeping in a tent with a propane heater.” But the city says any makeshift structures being used in encampments pose a “significant danger.”

On Wednesday, Toronto saw its first encampment fire death this winter. Firefighters were called to a Corktown park and found a wooden structure engulfed with flames. Once the blaze was extinguished, fire crews discovered a man inside. He was declared dead on the scene.

There has been no link made between Seivwright’s shelters and the site of the fatality. Acting fire chief Jim Jessop, asked about the origin of the structure on Wednesday, said he didn’t know for sure, and that question would likely be part of a now-ongoing probe into the blaze.

He told reporters the fire service wouldn’t be inspecting any wooden structures in camps for fire safety. “Our job isn’t to make structures that don’t even comply with the building code safe,” Jessop said. But while he argued that the fatality underscored the dangers of makeshift structures, homeless advocates argue the shelters are the best option in the current situation.

“It’s the safest and most humane way people are able to survive right now,” said Kimberly Curry, executive director of the charity Seeds of Hope, noting that the pandemic had slashed the options for the homeless population like sitting in a Tim Horton’s to warm up a while.

here is an idea Toronto, maybe get these people some shelter and this man wouldn't have to build these? I am a wood worker myself, it would take at least an afternoon to build one of these shelters. How could it take longer than an afternoon for the city to find shelter for a homeless person? The city has millions of dollars and hundreds of buildings at its disposal, they are able to find shelter for homeless people immediately.

City officials crying about a homeless man dying when their wooden shack burns down is real crocodile tears. you pieces of poo poo could be housing all of those people right now, the only reason this carpenter needs to be making shelters is because your policies are leaving people to die in the cold

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Feb 20, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we could, as an absolute bare minimum, actually fund the shelter system sufficiently instead of acting shocked every single year when a bunch of homeless people turn up dead during the mid-winter cold snap, but never ever increasing the system budget to supply enough beds in the places that need them.

i say we could, provably we can't with the mayor and council we have now, but in theory it's possible

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Look if you do that people question things. They don't know their place anymore.

Peace is bad for liberal democracy.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
stop being silly, the homeless aren't people. they're vermin to be dealt with one way or the other (preferably in a way that doesn't involve me ever seeing or acknowledging them)

this is probably the opinion of at least 20% of the population, and it's disproportionately true for the sort of sociopaths that seek out positions of power and are the personification of "the cruelty is the point"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to make a big donation to that guy, gently caress the police

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The houseless aren't housed because society hates the concept of compassion over dollars.

Oh Someone else already made that point.

Uhh....

This is your daily reminder that Jason Kenney sucks

https://twitter.com/DShepYEG/status/1362935659699130371?s=20

https://twitter.com/Jantafrench/status/1362806810617339906?s=20

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Feb 20, 2021

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

the concept of a community coming together to care for the vulnerable is the foundation of governance and neo libs really do not want us to remember what government was formed for in the first place

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Where is my vaccine John Horgan? Where is it, you piece of poo poo? Also what is your favorite food and color?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Noblesse Obliged posted:

the concept of a community coming together to care for the vulnerable is the foundation of governance and neo libs really do not want us to remember what government was formed for in the first place

same goes for christianity :ssh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

same goes for christianity :ssh:

Jesus is ok in my book. Just scope out that divine serenity on his face as he whips bankers:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Where is my vaccine John Horgan? Where is it, you piece of poo poo?

:hai:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

Jesus is ok in my book. Just scope out that divine serenity on his face as he whips bankers:

see if they'd made a holiday out of that part, i'd probably have a significantly better view of christianity

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Rutibex posted:

That's exactly it. They took out all the good stuff and now it's protestant prosperity gospel- they need to remember who said "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/BCGovNews/status/1362860474925084672

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

see if they'd made a holiday out of that part, i'd probably have a significantly better view of christianity

Horse-whip a Banker day would easily replace xmas/halloween as my fav holiday

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Horse-whip a Banker day would easily replace xmas/halloween as my fav holiday

Why stop there. Even doing it just fortnightly would be settling imo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Jesus was actually racist af and it wasn't even until Paul retconned poo poo that anyone but jews were even considered worthy of redemption.

Also slaves were supposed to just accept being someone else's property and just go 'better things aren't possible'.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Did you seriously just try to cancel Jesus lmao

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Did you seriously just try to cancel Jesus lmao

we try but best we managed was a 3 day probe

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

Jesus was actually racist af and it wasn't even until Paul retconned poo poo that anyone but jews were even considered worthy of redemption.

Also slaves were supposed to just accept being someone else's property and just go 'better things aren't possible'.

Jesus went into the forums

At dawn he appeared again in C-Spam, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The teachers of the law brought in a historical figure caught in racism. They made him stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this man was caught in the act of racism. In the Law C-SPAM commands us to stone such men. Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at me.”

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Lmao

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
jesus loves the little children, but do we know if he's in the Epstein flight logs?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

quote:

Some of the landlords CBC spoke with said they're often vilified unfairly and that most follow the rules.
come on man most of them are following the rules, isn't that good enough!?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
i like the implied admitting of villainy, just that this particular example is unfair

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Booourns posted:

come on man most of them are following the rules, isn't that good enough!?

If you follow the rules then these cards would make you look great to your new tenants. So those rule followers should be in full support.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

This BCNDP government almost makes me more angry than Ford and Kenney and Co. At least with the Conservatives they are honest about loving people over to benefit massive corporations, the NDP government just dresses up their corporate handjobs in a nice hat and bowtie and pretends they're working for people.

Not really relevant to this tweet except to the extent the tweet shows how little they "get it"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Noblesse Obliged posted:

we try but best we managed was a 3 day probe

:vince:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pokeyman posted:

i like the implied admitting of villainy, just that this particular example is unfair

"we're often vilified unfairly" for a group that is constantly vilified does indeed mean that they are also often vilified fairly

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Rutibex posted:

i have zero faith in american pharmaceutical companies or america in general. making vaccines in canada is a great idea, if we make too much vaccine we can ship it to other countries that are being under served by the american companies.

we need to be making as much vaccine as possible world wide. this pandemic isnt going to be over until everyone on earth is vaccinated.

Like I said in my post, it's access to supplies that's the problem. Great example is the distribution of vaccines so far, where the US has administered over 60 million. The next highest totals are China at 40 million, India at 30'ish million and the UK at almost 18 million. Why has the US injected more people than China? Because at the outset of the pandemic, when everyone realized vaccines were going to be needed in vast quantities, the US outbid everyone else for the glass vials and other materials necessary. And because Pfizer was first with a working formulary against covid, they got all those supplies.

That's capitalism, that's the world order we live in. We don't have the time to ramp up factories to make that poo poo, even India and China are lagging behind as they immediately deliver and use brand new vials and so on.

Also, hate to break it to you, but we won't be vaccinating everyone. That's a fantasy, the 3rd world doesn't matter and the best it can do is enforce pre-vaccinated tourism or 2 week isolation.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

thehoodie posted:

This BCNDP government almost makes me more angry than Ford and Kenney and Co. At least with the Conservatives they are honest about loving people over to benefit massive corporations, the NDP government just dresses up their corporate handjobs in a nice hat and bowtie and pretends they're working for people.

Not really relevant to this tweet except to the extent the tweet shows how little they "get it"

Agreed.

poo poo like the bingo board is infuriating but it's nothing compared to the real garbage:

https://twitter.com/AmyTanMD/status/1362931144832937984?s=19

And this -- getting notifications about variant exposures *in schools* more than 3 weeks after the fact.

https://twitter.com/jordantinney/status/1363288484698484738?s=19

Remember too that masks aren't required at all in elementary schools, and kids don't have to wear masks at their desks at any school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
whole country has failed at covid. they should shut down again and actually enforce it this time, but the direct payments needed for that are something only the feds can handle.