Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This episode, I think is the revelation that the skill isn't unique to Kumoko and probably implied to be something shared by the reincarnates.

Justin_Brett posted:

I like the implication that Hugo mostly just got generic stat boosters while trying his damndest to be a game-breaker, while Kumo keeps getting completely game-changing stuff basically by accident.

Hugo thought he was playing an action game. Kumo thought she was playing an RPG. Kumo was more correct.

Of course, Monsters get to evolve and stuff as Kumo and the dragon has shown which gives them a bunch more skills as a result in exchange for not being able to get too high leveled.

Also, Sensei definitely knows about Kumo but isn't saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I always guessed the n%|=W skill was somehow indicator that she is a reincarnation, and more specifically, that she is a "PC" not a "NPC", which gives her special xp bonuses and other advantages. This would explain how fast she is leveling up, and how the other reincarnated are also well beyond the average in power.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think Kumo's big game changer skills like Pride probably have Taboo as a prerequisite. Which might be part of the reason the church cracks down on that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xelkelvos posted:

This episode, I think is the revelation that the skill isn't unique to Kumoko and probably implied to be something shared by the reincarnates.

Hugo thought he was playing an action game. Kumo thought she was playing an RPG. Kumo was more correct.

Of course, Monsters get to evolve and stuff as Kumo and the dragon has shown which gives them a bunch more skills as a result in exchange for not being able to get too high leveled.

Also, Sensei definitely knows about Kumo but isn't saying.

It doesn't seem like monsters are unable to get too high leveled, but that the evolution reset makes it harder for them to do so. Also the general lack of full sentience, at least until highish level, makes their lower levels harder.

The teacher's interestingness level certainly shot through the roof this episode though. I wonder if she just happened to be born with a unique skill that keyed her into the "meta gaming" aspects, elves just happen to know more about this poo poo than the dumbass humans, or if it was tied into the hierarchy of the class when summoned.

I wonder if other groups also got isikaied, only they're mostly demons and monsters and the high level administrators like to watch the different groups clash. The handful of the class that didn't become humans/elves subsequently messing up the game by going cross faction when they become aware.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tamba posted:

It hasn't been revealed what that skill does, but I don't think the fact that it's there was supposed to be a secret.

Its existence isn't supposed to be a secret, but the anime cuts out the part where it would have more publicly seen. Specifically, since we jump into the human story side when they are already at the academy (LN spoilers ahead), we skip the part where Schlain is appraised which in turn tells us that both he and Katia have the skill along with an absolutely absurd number of skill points.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 20, 2021

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

As a manga only reader this episode certainly spelled out some things I had been wondering about. Mainly the timing of events.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Turin Turambar posted:

I always guessed the n%|=W skill was somehow indicator that she is a reincarnation, and more specifically, that she is a "PC" not a "NPC", which gives her special xp bonuses and other advantages. This would explain how fast she is leveling up, and how the other reincarnated are also well beyond the average in power.

We would have seen this several episodes ago if it was as adapted in the LN but they skipped it. I'm pretty confident in saying it here since our prince in this episode kind of alluded to what he was doing but they didn't really go into detail. I'll spoiler it in case folks really want to skip it, but I am 99% sure it's not going to be included in the anime at this point as they've missed the chance to portray it.

The Isekai'd humans have a BOATLOAD of skill points at birth. Just an absolute shitload. Normal people start with very few at birth, but these kids start with tens or hundreds of thousands of points. Most of the Isekais were being very careful in choosing their skills after getting a feel for what they were good at and learning about what they all do, but the Prince got so jealous of our boy here he just blew ALL of his extra skill points on skills to get a huge power up. When the teacher took his skills away there she basically robbed him of everything that made him special about being an Isekai and he back to being at the skill level of a normal human.

Kumoko, as we saw, started with no extra skill points.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Nitrousoxide posted:

We would have seen this several episodes ago if it was as adapted in the LN but they skipped it. I'm pretty confident in saying it here since our prince in this episode kind of alluded to what he was doing but they didn't really go into detail. I'll spoiler it in case folks really want to skip it, but I am 99% sure it's not going to be included in the anime at this point as they've missed the chance to portray it.

The Isekai'd humans have a BOATLOAD of skill points at birth. Just an absolute shitload. Normal people start with very few at birth, but these kids start with tens or hundreds of thousands of points. Most of the Isekais were being very careful in choosing their skills after getting a feel for what they were good at and learning about what they all do, but the Prince got so jealous of our boy here he just blew ALL of his extra skill points on skills to get a huge power up. When the teacher took his skills away there she basically robbed him of everything that made him special about being an Isekai and he back to being at the skill level of a normal human.

Kumoko, as we saw, started with no extra skill points.

I feel like there is still a chance for them to reveal that in the anime based on what I gleamed from in my previous post after only reading the manga.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, hey, didn't see this thread until now. WN/LN/manga reader, so I'm hype for what's coming up.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm liking all the little things in the anime here that really foreshadow stuff to come but for someone who's just watching this the first time and hasn't read the books would totally fly over your head as irrelevant. Since the anime creators know what's coming up they can add all sorts of imagery that wasn't in the light novels.

There's a lot of fun speculation going on, and I'm loving it.

One completely wrong speculation I'm seeing elsewhere, that I love, is Oka secretly being the Demon Lord.

-They have similar ways of talking.
-They look sorta similar with the small frame and pointed ears.
- Oka is clearly pretty powerful.
- The episode after the Demon Lord is introduced, Shun reminds the audience that Oka frequently sneaks off and keeps a lot of secrets.

So their logic is that she's sneaking off to rule over demonkind, and may even be telling Shun not to take skills to stunt his growth before she shows up and takes over.

By the way, did you know? The manga does have a couple human-reincarnator scenes, but they're entirely in the collection bundles, so if you read it online, you probably haven't seen them.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 20, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That scene at the end when she got the extra skills is so good.

Real good episode except for some wonky animation during the fight between the princes.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Well, poo poo certainly happened this time.

I don't know who D is yet, but I don't think Oka is either her or the Demon Lord. From what we've seen, she does have the ability to alter PC files, so what I think she is a Moderator for whatever this "game" is.

While I haven't read the novels and the manga hasn't gotten there yet, due to hitting the wrong key over on AniChart I am aware of what's going to eventually happen to our arachnid protagonist. (Do NOT read Kumiko's character entry, and if you do, don't click on those spoiler warnings. They mean it.) That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how we get from here to there over the next 17 weeks.

Who knows, maybe D will get bored by Prince Overacting Fuckface's shenanigans and turn HIM into a spider.:allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crunchyroll just put out several dubs you got Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, German, French, and English.

Kinda want to check them all out and see how the voices stack up to Aoi Yuuki.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
From the opening sample I heard of the English dub, not that great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm really hoping d is also voiced by aoi yuuki.

mod edit: spoilering as requested.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 20, 2021

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Doodles posted:

From the opening sample I heard of the English dub, not that great.

Kumoko sounded great to me

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

If so, I look forward to how she talks about the spider self destruct button.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

You can't trick me, we won't know anything about D for over 2 decades.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gyges posted:

You can't trick me, we won't know anything about D for over 2 decades.

At the rate we're going, we'll catch up to the English translations of the light novels in Season 2 or 3. So maybe a couple of years if this is popular enough.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

At the rate we're going, we'll catch up to the English translations of the light novels in Season 2 or 3. So maybe a couple of years if this is popular enough.

I'm pretty sure that's a One Piece joke.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I feel like you guys are discussing a spoiler.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Definitely don't unspoiler kirtar's post if you're not a LN reader.

I personally would like to keep the spoiler talk to stuff the anime skipped and which has been passed up from the novels. I don't like posting stuff we've not yet gotten to since an anime only viewer has no idea if the spoiler is something the anime skipped or something they haven't gotten to yet.

But I'm not a mod so that's just how in going to post personally. No future spoilers from me.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That's not the one I was talking about.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
If you haven't seen the end credits with english subs, you might as well see it now. It's kinda nuts how many spoilers were packed into it since episode 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPNzOZCxhXs

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There's also an extended version of the ending theme, that's like 4x the length, with spoilers for future stuff, so be warned.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

I personally would like to keep the spoiler talk to stuff the anime skipped and which has been passed up from the novels. I don't like posting stuff we've not yet gotten to since an anime only viewer has no idea if the spoiler is something the anime skipped or something they haven't gotten to yet.

But I'm not a mod so that's just how in going to post personally. No future spoilers from me.
Very well. We'll go with that.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doodles posted:

I don't know who D is yet, but I don't think Oka is either her or the Demon Lord. From what we've seen, she does have the ability to alter PC files, so what I think she is a Moderator for whatever this "game" is.
She says she uses ruler functions while doing so. In theory Kumoko has these as well since Ruler of Pride specifically says it grants them (presumably the ones from the other cheat skills do as well), but skill up voice said she couldn't exercise her authority (Episode 5 near the end)

kirtar fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 20, 2021

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

kirtar posted:

She says she uses ruler functions while doing so. In theory Kumoko has these as well since Ruler of Pride specifically says it grants them (presumably the ones from the other cheat skills do as well), but skill up voice said she couldn't exercise her authority (Episode 5 near the end)

It could be that you can only do it to your subordinates, and since Oka is their teacher she counts as the superior of all the reincarnated kids.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wonder why church girl never got appraise, and has to ask others to cast it. Maybe she never had the opportunity to receive it? Or she loses her preferred upgrade path (or she received bad advice from the teacher) if she picks it up?

She was also struggling to get skill up as well in earlier episodes.

Anyways, I am looking forward to more spider girl. I love how it really embraced her chunnibyou personality wholeheartedly in this episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah it's a good idea, in general, to spoiler any plot relevant information that hasn't come up in the anime yet, even if it did already come up by this point in the novels or manga, because you never know how the anime is going to tackle that information in the future, and prematurely revealing that info might be bad for the viewers. Sometimes things just get shuffled around in adaptation.

You could always label these posts like this:
So this week's episode skipped something from the novelsinsert spoiler here

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

sb hermit posted:

I wonder why church girl never got appraise, and has to ask others to cast it. Maybe she never had the opportunity to receive it? Or she loses her preferred upgrade path (or she received bad advice from the teacher) if she picks it up?

one of the things from the LN that's been skipped over in the anime was an explanation that Appraisal is actually really rare because it's pretty much useless for like half its levels, takes forever to level up, and gives you a headache when you use it (IIRC Kumoko was mostly immune to that side effect though, and it seems to go away at higher levels). it's also considered a gross violation of privacy to use it on someone without their permission. whenever most people need to Appraise something they just use a magic item, and they're rare enough that she probably wouldn't be given one to just carry around and use whenever.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dordreff posted:

one of the things from the LN that's been skipped over in the anime was an explanation that Appraisal is actually really rare because it's pretty much useless for like half its levels, takes forever to level up, and gives you a headache when you use it (IIRC Kumoko was mostly immune to that side effect though, and it seems to go away at higher levels). it's also considered a gross violation of privacy to use it on someone without their permission. whenever most people need to Appraise something they just use a magic item, and they're rare enough that she probably wouldn't be given one to just carry around and use whenever.

it still leaves some plot holes but I'm willing to wait until we learn more

aside from that, I wish the teacher would have told EVERYONE about not picking up too many skills, and not just that little group

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

sb hermit posted:

there's more to it
Remember Hugo saying that he was bad with water magic, but good with fire? Everyone has a different affinity for skills, which changes how expensive they are to buy with skill points and how hard it is to raise their levels. Appraisal is super rare, but Shun and Kumoko are compatible with it.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

sb hermit posted:

aside from that, I wish the teacher would have told EVERYONE about not picking up too many skills, and not just that little group

I'm pretty sure Hugo would not have listened lol.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eeepies posted:

Ok, this episode finally sold me on the human side of things. It is really cool to see the teacher going 'skills are bad for you, trust me', and leaving it as that to the students, while Kumoko thinks about the skills logically and realizes the implication of the whole thing. And that one person showing exactly what happens when someone is too engrossed in the skills.

I think what really made it click for me was knowing about the earlier spoilers in regards to things being asynchronous. Makes me think that at least part of the reason for the warnings is that people have seen the kind of stuff Kumoko has, plus as someone mentioned getting super skilled brings on some very unwanted attention.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

One of the things that is a huge welcome change from the LN's is how we no longer have long monologues that repeat the same things, just in different ways, over and over again. I can't count the number of times Kumoko said something, and then the next paragraph said the same thing in a slightly different way, and then in the next paragraph said it AGAIN.

Like, I get it. You just need to say it once.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dordreff posted:

With respect to information overload headaches, I suspect part of that comes from the Heresy Resistance levels she picked up while trying out Detection since both cause them and are big info dumps. Early on Kumoko still got headaches from using Appraisal on too many things such as when she saw the big mass of mobs in episode 1 (or 2 I forget exactly which one), and the centipede swarm. I don't think we saw her use it on a whole lot of things at once between those and acquiring Detection.

That said, it might not be the whole story since the LN describes people having trouble with that even when appraising two items at a time, so obviously the NPCs need to download more RAM.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tamba posted:

there's more to it
Remember Hugo saying that he was bad with water magic, but good with fire? Everyone has a different affinity for skills, which changes how expensive they are to buy with skill points and how hard it is to raise their levels. Appraisal is super rare, but Shun and Kumoko are compatible with it.

yeah, that was the missing piece. Thanks!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Man things got interesting in a hurry here :stare:

Oka is definitely making the human side more interesting now, I'm intrigued to know what her deal is and why she has to be so secretive about it. And while a lot of the human side shenanigans are presented like boring, generic fluff, I do appreciate how they help contextualize the things that are happening to Kumoko so we aren't left entirely in the dark about the broader implications of what she's doing. For real though, if I could just get brand new never before seen skills by asking for them that'd be pretty broken!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing that's funny to me is the covers to the LN's make a lot more sense to me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Super Jay Mann posted:

Man things got interesting in a hurry here :stare:

Oka is definitely making the human side more interesting now, I'm intrigued to know what her deal is and why she has to be so secretive about it. And while a lot of the human side shenanigans are presented like boring, generic fluff, I do appreciate how they help contextualize the things that are happening to Kumoko so we aren't left entirely in the dark about the broader implications of what she's doing. For real though, if I could just get brand new never before seen skills by asking for them that'd be pretty broken!

Funny how the parts that make the human side of the story more interesting are the non-humans.