Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tbf this one owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
ive lived in michigan my entire life and no body here makes it a big deal to clean off their cars roof like its a public health hazard or something. we get tons of snow. seems like the highly online sort of thing to get pissed about.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Muscle Wizard posted:

ive lived in michigan my entire life and no body here makes it a big deal to clean off their cars roof like its a public health hazard or something. we get tons of snow. seems like the highly online sort of thing to get pissed about.

thank you brave goon for standing against the liberal cancel culture war on leaving piles of snow on your car roof

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

what next? will they ask us to roll our shopping carts into the return instead of leaving them sitting in the middle of a parking spot? twitter has gone too far this time

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i sometimes pack extra snow on top of my car before driving out

if there's no snow i stop at a gas station and dump a bag of ice cubes up there

it really triggers the libs

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1362483794339635206

consent manufacturing in progress. we actually turned off your power to help you!!

they're not wrong but

Hairy Marionette posted:

We built a system so awful that it was about to catastrophically fail.

"some power but not enough power" tends to have the outcome of "things will melt and/or catch on fire" although I guess you could argue they should have left everything on in an attempt to keep any nearby pipes from freezing

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

they're not wrong but

"some power but not enough power" tends to have the outcome of "things will melt and/or catch on fire" although I guess you could argue they should have left everything on in an attempt to keep any nearby pipes from freezing

they are not wrong if you believe that that is actually the reason the blackouts happened and that it's not a PR story to bury this one:

https://twitter.com/lacymjohnson/status/1361709976134316039

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dustcat posted:

this is how texans transport water now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dustcat posted:

rolling snow to own the libs

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

they are not wrong if you believe that that is actually the reason the blackouts happened and that it's not a PR story to bury this one:

It never fails to amaze me how reactive government is to business losing money.

:d2a:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It never fails to amaze me how reactive government is to business losing money.

:d2a:

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1362755545694932993

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"we turned the power off to save the grid. you'd be without power for months!" *stuffing money into a bag*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the power grid was going to collapse because power plants turned themselves off to save money when natural gas got expensive. you're lucky we stepped in to fix that problem though, by turning off all the power to everyone so they freeze to death in their frozen water damaged homes. you're welcome.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm sure the power companies saved millions of dollars by turning off their plants so they don't burn expensive gas and on not doing any winterization. the fact that it caused billions of dollars of damage doesn't matter because the power companies don't pay that. capitalism baby

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

they're both true, like the nerds in the building controlling the grid were like "gently caress we're running out of capacity better turn off poo poo" and also the nerds running the numbers at the massive energy companies were like "nope not profitable enough, turn off the plant" at the same time the lobbyists running the Texas Railroad Commission set the rules so that the massive energy companies get the excuse

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

they're both true, like the nerds in the building controlling the grid were like "gently caress we're running out of capacity better turn off poo poo" and also the nerds running the numbers at the massive energy companies were like "nope not profitable enough, turn off the plant" at the same time the lobbyists running the Texas Railroad Commission set the rules so that the massive energy companies get the excuse

ah yes, many fine people on both sides

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

it is absolutely true that an uncontrolled blackout is capital-B Bad for the grid, and the grid operators shedding load were doing their job to prevent a potentially catastrophic failure

it is also true that this situation could and should have been avoided and the companies seeing this as an excuse to skyrocket their prices and bragging about their profits are a stain on humanity’s rear end

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

No one in MA makes a big deal about clearing snow off the top of your car because lol how dumb do you have to be to not just know that? No one has to make a big deal or show you how because you must be a huge idiot if you don't realize things on top of your car will fly off of it when you drive. Like what the gently caress?

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

Muscle Wizard posted:

ive lived in michigan my entire life and no body here makes it a big deal to clean off their cars roof like its a public health hazard or something. we get tons of snow.

This was my experience growing up in south east MI. However, after seeing those videos I’ll be cleaning off snow in the future if I ever have the pleasure of living in a snowy place again.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

No one in MA makes a big deal about clearing snow off the top of your car because lol how dumb do you have to be to not just know that? No one has to make a big deal or show you how because you must be a huge idiot if you don't realize things on top of your car will fly off of it when you drive. Like what the gently caress?

When 90% of the cars on the roads don’t clean off the snow off their roofs you think it’s normal to not clean the snow off your roof. Regional culture, how the gently caress does it work?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

ah yes, many fine people on both sides

the slight of hand will be critical since the solution will be to give massive energy companies more money from ratepayers while the Railroad Commission makes sure this exact same thing will happen again

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
but I mean yes but the US grid will eventually collapse in one way or another probably in the next 10 years. Maybe I can get a hidden trailer with solar panels and get a well dug somewhere.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Luneshot posted:

it is absolutely true that an uncontrolled blackout is capital-B Bad for the grid, and the grid operators shedding load were doing their job to prevent a potentially catastrophic failure

it is also true that this situation could and should have been avoided and the companies seeing this as an excuse to skyrocket their prices and bragging about their profits are a stain on humanity’s rear end

as usual the truth is in the middle :smugdog:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

they were running out of capacity because they shut plants down to avoid taking losses on their natural gas bill until the government would let them octuple the prices

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

they were running out of capacity because they shut plants down to avoid taking losses on their natural gas bill until the government would let them octuple the prices

And then those plants froze and couldn't restart bc they didn't bother enclosing anything at all, even stuff you wouldn't normally have outdoors in any climate

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

listen sorry it was a different corporation controlled bureaucracy who made the call, there was absolutely nothing we could do unless you let us profit more ok?

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

SchnorkIes posted:

And then those plants froze and couldn't restart bc they didn't bother enclosing anything at all, even stuff you wouldn't normally have outdoors in any climate

Enclosures cost money.

But seriously, in a sane society the people in charge of these companies would be charged with at least negligent homicide.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

in china they'd be shot

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
woah don't be so harsh, these are rich white men you're talking about. negligent homicide is for black people who happen to be in the same car as their friend who is murdered by the police.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tezer posted:

Another solution would be to install a drain/shutoff so you can drain the area of the pipe in the exterior of the wall back to a utility space before severe weather events. Of course, I don't know your home, this might be easier said than done.

I would be a bit nervous about sticking resistance heating elements in a wall where I can't see them/monitor them. I'm super risk adverse though.

There’s a pretty large margin between the temperature required to prevent freezing and the autoignition temperature of building materials.

Don’t do something like curling the wire up and stuffing it in your newspaper‐insulated wall cavity, but when properly installed, heat wire is less hazardous than the wires already in your walls.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah it will take a very specific amount of current to reach the correct temp for whatever the wire is made out of and it only has to be warm enough to prevent freezing

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

it seems like a problem that is taken care of by not driving right up on somebodies rear end, for the most part.

The videos on this very page prove that isn't true.

Hmm. Not giving a poo poo about other people, mocking the idea of doing the bare minimum to protect others, and then saying it's their own fault anyway. What other chud opinions you got?

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Platystemon posted:

There’s a pretty large margin between the temperature required to prevent freezing and the autoignition temperature of building materials.

Don’t do something like curling the wire up and stuffing it in your newspaper‐insulated wall cavity, but when properly installed, heat wire is less hazardous than the wires already in your walls.
Otoh every pipe-heater wire or assembly I've seen says specifically not to be used on inaccessible piping, and presumably there's a reason for that warning (I've specifically been looking at only the dirt-cheap options as an oly-bar-warmer, so ymmv). Personally, I wouldn't wall it in unless it was code and the ho-insurance policy allow it (check with your agent), and you find a product designed for it, because insurance denying your house fire claim because of it is something they'd love to do.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Pryor on Fire posted:

yeah, has never happened to me in decades of mountain snow driving and nobody bothers wiping snow off around here. on the list of things to worry about or rage at others over in 2021 i think snow on cars is pretty laughable

Literally watched a pile up caused by someone not cleaning the top of their Navigator on the previously mentioned i-95 so gently caress you.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Some solutions just don't seem 'right'. Like, I think about removing drywall, wrapping a copper/pex pipe in heat cable, then reinstalling the drywall but leaving a hole for the power cord, then getting an extension cord because it the power cord doesn't quite reach the closest outlet and plugging the whole mess in.... and it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Like, maybe it's not dangerous, but it's still a 'bad' idea. Just vibes wise.

Anyways, check out this sweet picture I was sent today from an active job.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hairy Marionette posted:

Enclosures cost money.

But seriously, in a sane society the people in charge of these companies would be charged with at least negligent homicide.

my spouse and i were watching a terrible dumb movie last night and the failure point in suspension of disbelief was the final "the rich and powerful antagonist got arrested for almost (but not actually, because hero saved the day) letting a bunch of people die"

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Where the gently caress are you proles parking that you get snow on your loving car roof?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is that a serious question

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

lmao if you don't have a personal valet to fetch your maybach so you don't have to be subject to the whims of the sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hairy Marionette posted:

When 90% of the cars on the roads don’t clean off the snow off their roofs you think it’s normal to not clean the snow off your roof. Regional culture, how the gently caress does it work?

Not grasping basic observable physics isn't regional culture. What else do you think could happen to things on your car roof?