Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Humphreys posted:

Do you guys not have public safety advertisements advising on things like this as X season approaches? We get poo poo non-stop during cyclone season and same with bushfire season. All radio stations (including commercial) broadcast what to do, who to tune into and other useful information.

We're talking about Texas here - people would probably shoot at a public safety advertisement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Humphreys posted:

Do you guys not have public safety advertisements advising on things like this as X season approaches? We get poo poo non-stop during cyclone season and same with bushfire season. All radio stations (including commercial) broadcast what to do, who to tune into and other useful information.

Along with most rural fire servie stations turning their sign into a reminder to check your fire survival plan. It hasn't been needed this summer cuase where I live it's been so cold and wet the trees think it's already autumn but last summer where my town was ringed by fire for weeks on end it was real loving important cause we had our plan if the fires crept close enough that we had to bail at a moments notice including what to do with all of the important docs and things like the cat. My gf was slightly sad that we'd have to leave the fish behind to be steamed in their tank but theres no real option with that.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Are safety broadcasts are close to being relics? The last TV my parents bought didn't have any sort of built in tuner, and I didn't have anything to receive over the air broadcasts until I got a portable AM/FM radio a while back specifically for listening to local weather alerts and news. Cars still have radios, but everyone I know with a car listens to their phone instead of FM.

It doesn't seem like there's a good replacement for them, either. My phone is supposed to receive emergency alerts, but it's never once shown me one even as tornados rolled through.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
PBS runs WARN now, which blends traditional EAS alerts with connections to cell providers to in theory push geotargeted alerts. Obviously a lot more there to go wrong in getting the alert to the right person over "banner on TV station" but they're trying their best.

https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/contact-information/warn/

You can see a live map of all alerts here

https://warn.pbs.org

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Minor point of order, I’ve seen umpteen instances of where folks let their taps drip (note: drip, not run) in TX and still had their pipes freeze up; though they got some cool sink icicles though. TX and Deep South housing just isn’t built/insulated for this sort of thing. NJ deals with worse all the time but they have infrastructure built to handle it.

What I’m saying is he should have shot the pipes with his AR-15 and I hope the folks at subway let him in to get food.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Are safety broadcasts are close to being relics? The last TV my parents bought didn't have any sort of built in tuner, and I didn't have anything to receive over the air broadcasts until I got a portable AM/FM radio a while back specifically for listening to local weather alerts and news. Cars still have radios, but everyone I know with a car listens to their phone instead of FM.

It doesn't seem like there's a good replacement for them, either. My phone is supposed to receive emergency alerts, but it's never once shown me one even as tornados rolled through.

I would bet the phone alerts are reaching more people than radio/TV alerts ever did in the past.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You should always leave the taps running a bit when it gets really cold, especially if you're not home and thus not using them. I guess no-one teaches that to people in Texas? But a FYI just in case one of the five people reading this thread are in the same position!

I'm in a part of the US that's only gotten snow twice in the past 45 years. I also lived out in the sticks, not just a rural area, but the more rural area outside the already rural area.

I don't know if it was just something that was taught to previous generations, but if it even hinted at 32 degrees, my parents always advised to leave the taps dripping. They also wrapped up the pump in old blankets and/or put a heating pad on it just in case. Our pipes never froze. There were probably very few times they were really in danger, but that was not a risk my parents were going to take.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dip Viscous posted:

I get emergency alerts on my phones, especially on my personal phone. I did sign up with the county so I think I get extra that way. When the wildfires were in full swing last year it got a little freaky hearing that emergency tone from multiple cellphones in the house, staggered by which carrier they use.

I've got them for flood risks and I think curfew notices during the protests last year, too.

It probably varies a lot by state/county/carrier.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Great fun diggin the Mac IIfx out of storage, two bad SMD caps (the rest were tantalums) had popped during the last 2 years. Seems this also drained the RTC battery completely (like 0 V on it).
While I was in there I also swapped the PSU fan for something a little less deafening.

Installed a proper mount for the scsi2sd instead of stuffing it in a plastic bag, which makes it looks a lot more pro.
Ordered an RJ45 capable network card, a ROM-i-nator II just for kicks, and a 64 MB RAM kit.

Big next TODO is to find something better than the stock Toby video card, 640x480 is getting a bit cramped and most monitors don't like it (except of course for a 24" 1080p monitor, so everything is super wide). At least it has the extra VRAM to support color mode.
Will try to put a LM1881 based card right on the old graphics card to maybe make it output standardish H/VSync instead of CSync+SOG.

Got it running A/UX 3.1 from the pre-made scsi2sd image, then set up two extra virtual drives to run 7.5 + one spare. Old Unix systems are weird but at least the original Apple docs aren't terrible.

Can't really do that much right now since I don't have a network and floppy juggling is getting old, but at least I got MacX working so it can run xeyes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Wurst Poster posted:

It's nice that there is now a maintained OS for my dumpster dived G5 imac since Linux dropped support for big endian PPC. Just doesn't seem worth 80 Euros though.

In it voted 5

Also

The Wurst Poster posted:

dumpster dived G5 imac

:mods:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It sort of stinks that morphos is $80

I guess I’ll just keep trying to get macOS reinstalled.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Dip Viscous posted:

I live in a high tornado area in Canada and we got a ton of TV alerts this past summer. I think they were being pushed through the cable box though, I don't know if I would have got the same OTA.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It sort of stinks that morphos is $80

I guess I’ll just keep trying to get macOS reinstalled.

I'd still see like to see how OpenSUSE did on it. I'm not sure if other distros have a PPC port or not.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd still see like to see how OpenSUSE did on it. I'm not sure if other distros have a PPC port or not.

Bet NetBSD would work fine.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

FM radio still exists? Surely it's nothing but back to back commercials by now.

In my area, I get alerts via my phone. But it comes via some Google app on my Pixel phone. If there is any type of NWS alert, I get a popup and an audible alert when it is first issued. The alert also shows on the default weather/clock widget.

If it's supported in your area, sign up for Nixle: https://www.nixle.com/ It is a free service that sends alerts directly from local/state/fed agencies to you via text or email. My local county and city governments send all their alerts into it, so I get some pretty localized alerts.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

stevewm posted:

FM radio still exists?
:norway:

(Ok, we still have a few local stations. The rest is DAB+, though.)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Computer viking posted:

:norway:

(Ok, we still have a few local stations. The rest is DAB+, though.)

Ahh DAB.. North America went with HDRadio/Ibiquity. A digital signal that rides on the existing analog frequency as a sub-carrier.

The main digital channel is just a simulcast of the analog channel, but some stations do have 1 or more sub channels.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Apparently my cellphone will pick up FM radio if I plug in wired headphones but I've never tried it out.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Apparently my cellphone will pick up FM radio if I plug in wired headphones but I've never tried it out.

A lot of Samsung and Motorola phones do/used to do that. IIRC, the chip was pretty cheap if included with a bunch of the other radios.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Digital radio still exists? As I recall where I live it was largely just a failed experiment you could only receive on set-top boxes and TVs with the digital TV signal. I've never seen a DAB radio anywhere ever, and frankly I really don't see what benefits it has that are worth doing to the switchover compared to just staying with good old FM.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ruflux posted:

Digital radio still exists? As I recall where I live it was largely just a failed experiment you could only receive on set-top boxes and TVs with the digital TV signal. I've never seen a DAB radio anywhere ever, and frankly I really don't see what benefits it has that are worth doing to the switchover compared to just staying with good old FM.

Oh yeah, FM is basically a legacy tech being kept alive by some local radio stations for the time being here. The UK has national DAB coverage but maintains a fair few FM stations. I think there's a few other countries that are still working to replace it, too?

As for benefits - until DAB, we had like 1.5 radio stations at our cabin; with DAB you get the entire package everywhere, with more channels than almost anywhere in the country had before. The sound quality is a tradeoff - digital at mediocre bitrate is better than bad FM and worse than good FM. At least it's predictably tolerable?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

We have "HD Radio" in the US, and it's, uh, okay. Not incredibly high adoption as it seems to be limited to high-end receivers as far as I can tell.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
DAB not only still exist in Europe but it’s illegal to sell fm radios without DAB support, which lead to Samsung and others to disable radio apps in firmware to avoid fines

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

azurite posted:

We have "HD Radio" in the US, and it's, uh, okay. Not incredibly high adoption as it seems to be limited to high-end receivers as far as I can tell.

I think most new car radios support it, which can lead to the radio bouncing back and forth between fm and digital

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It was still an optional upgrade in the 2020 model-year car I bought. Which, by the way, was the worst timing imaginable.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
The UK DAB situation is particularly hilarious as in their rush to join the digital future collect all that sweet, sweet licensing money the govt. forced through the first gen MP2-only standard.

I'd rather listen to AM over this sloshy, squelchy bullshit

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

FM: a few quite similar stations
DAB: dozens of quite similar stations, except with the fidelity of telephone hold music and every now and then it sounds like your radio is being waterboarded

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

an actual frog posted:

The UK DAB situation is particularly hilarious as in their rush to join the digital future collect all that sweet, sweet licensing money the govt. forced through the first gen MP2-only standard.

I'd rather listen to AM over this sloshy, squelchy bullshit

Techmoan has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27w3quNTP84

DrChu
May 14, 2002

HD Radio sounds like garbage. Its like a low bitrate RealAudio stream added on top of the regular FM signal, yeah there's more high frequency content but it sounds swishy and grating. And the feature of having sub channels fell victim to more stations/lower quality thing satellite radio did and every station decided they need to cram in as many as possible so again, the bitrate is low and it sounds worse than regular radio or a basic Spotify/Pandora stream.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s quite insane how many FM stations there are where I live in the US compared to where I lived in the UK. I don’t even wanna look at the differences on AM.

HD Radio isn’t just ok high end stuff, I have a few clock radios that support it. Nothing else though.

I subscribed to XM, which also feels like a dying format, simply because one 10 minute journey I took a while back didn’t have a single song. Commercials the entire time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

EL BROMANCE posted:

I subscribed to XM, which also feels like a dying format, simply because one 10 minute journey I took a while back didn’t have a single song. Commercials the entire time.
You can still just get XM? Also, I only remember hearing commercials on one satellite station ever, like whatever comedy station replaced The Foxxhole a few years back before I cancelled my satellite radio subscription because I had no idea why I still had it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m just too lazy to write SiriusXM, ha. I never had either when they were separate so can’t really compare much. The Netflix is a Joke channel is good when I’m driving for a few hours, keeps me engaged.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is only one program I listened to on Sirius so now I just listen to it once it gets uploaded to YouTube like a day later :getin:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I like the smooth jazz station Watercolors on sxm :shobon:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

they should completely decriminalize pirate radio in the US. The AM/FM bands should just belong to humans now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZVhfbgCsw

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I've been living in Asia for the past decade and I completely missed that FM was on the way out lmao. That said I remember like five years ago when I went to visit some family in the US they had some satellite radio thing I'd never seen before in their car and it would abruptly cut out every time we went under a motorway bridge and take like another five seconds to come back online after coming out the other side.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"We're decades ahead of the rest of the world :smuggo:" *drives into a hole and dies*

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I remember the pirate radio station that used to air in Panama City, fl back in the mid 90s.

The call sign would play at the top of the hour:

"You're listening to pirate radio, we ain't got no loving call letters"

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
The best FM station near me is run out of the local high school. Those kids have great taste in music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of old tech that's still around: Web radio. There's something fun about diving into local radio from a second-tier town from rural Peru or whatever. radio garden is neat - and I'm sure there are more normal directories out there. (To contribute, Norway's NRK has their at https://radio.nrk.no/ . Apologies for the interface. Try P13.)