Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

quoting the last post to replace my shitpost:

Oracle posted:

Oh man, this may be very interesting to those of German heritage.

https://www.archiv.sachsen.de/archiv/bestand.jsp?oid=13.01&bestandid=21962&syg_id=

Its a site with a lot of churchbooks that aren't on ancestry yet (not sure about archion.de) and include a lot of former East German areas. Its not indexed or anything but they are there. Sadly still none of the Kreis I need from Pomerania, but maybe someone else will get lucky.

btw, if any yall have swedes, the ArkivDigital direcotry goes back to 1820 now

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh hey, clear your calendars. newspapers.com is free all weekend (if you already have an account and signed up for their spam they send a link right to you).

The one with all the actual useful stuff that's usually blocked with the poo poo-tier subscription included in 'all access' on Ancestry. Publisher Extra or whatever they call it. ALL the papers.

quote:

Free access to all papers until Monday
Exciting news! Newspapers.‌com™ is offering FREE ACCESS* to our entire collection all weekend long. So clear that schedule and discover history as it happened through newspapers.

Search free
Free access through this email only.

*Access to all papers on Newspapers.‌com™ will be free until 15 February 2021 at 11:59 p.m. MT. Free access available via the links in this email only. Registration required. After the free access period ends, you will only be able to view papers using a paid Newspapers.‌com™ Publisher Extra subscription. Terms and Conditions apply.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 12, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Oracle posted:

Oh hey, clear your calendars. newspapers.com is free all weekend (if you already have an account and signed up for their spam they send a link right to you).

The one with all the actual useful stuff that's usually blocked with the poo poo-tier subscription included in 'all access' on Ancestry. Publisher Extra or whatever they call it. ALL the papers.

Thanks for this! I logged into my account, connected it with my Ancestry account and checked the box for "Send me Newspapers.com Special Offers and Surveys" - guessing that's the right one to get the email. I'm expecting to be snowed in and Monday is a holiday for my company, now I've got something to do.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tomorrow I am the keynote speaker for the 75th Anniversary of a society one of my great grandfathers started. An interest in rocks skipped a few generations but he was a huge spiritual inspiration for me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow thats neat! I guess you don't wanna go into details, but rock on lol :dadjoke: and also break a leg :)

I work for the same employer that my great grandfather and great-great grandfather. That wasn't planned at all. My great grandfather died less than a month before I was born, and we didn't have a great relationship with my grandfather (he was kindof a dick, tbh, but but after he died we discovered more about his personal life that possibly explained why he was difficult to get along with or form attachments to). Anyway, I felt destined for one career, and only late in life did I realize that I wanted something else & I ended up where my ancestors were. In my case I wouldn't say it's genetic or anything, just coincidence, but it amuses me.

e: also thx for the headsup on newspapers, Oracle!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Wow thats neat! I guess you don't wanna go into details, but rock on lol :dadjoke: and also break a leg :)

I work for the same employer that my great grandfather and great-great grandfather. That wasn't planned at all. My great grandfather died less than a month before I was born, and we didn't have a great relationship with my grandfather (he was kindof a dick, tbh, but but after he died we discovered more about his personal life that possibly explained why he was difficult to get along with or form attachments to). Anyway, I felt destined for one career, and only late in life did I realize that I wanted something else & I ended up where my ancestors were. In my case I wouldn't say it's genetic or anything, just coincidence, but it amuses me.

e: also thx for the headsup on newspapers, Oracle!

That's great serendipity!

While I have some Scandi attention: below find a picture of my very distinguished looking great great grandfather, from Gamleby, Sweden (despite the bourgeoise appearance, he was a farm manager). I have had this picture for most of my life, he was a huge figure in my grandfather's life, but I know nothing about the medal and would dearly love to know more. Given the profile and crown I'm guessing it's of the then king (would have been late 19th century when awarded, he was brought to North America by his kids in 1908), which suggests there should be some sort of record somewhere. I've actually seen it in person--came in a nice crushed purple velvet case--but my mother has misplaced it, and the memory it is somewhere in her house. How might I go about learning more?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

That's great serendipity!

While I have some Scandi attention: below find a picture of my very distinguished looking great great grandfather, from Gamleby, Sweden (despite the bourgeoise appearance, he was a farm manager). I have had this picture for most of my life, he was a huge figure in my grandfather's life, but I know nothing about the medal and would dearly love to know more. Given the profile and crown I'm guessing it's of the then king (would have been late 19th century when awarded, he was brought to North America by his kids in 1908), which suggests there should be some sort of record somewhere. I've actually seen it in person--came in a nice crushed purple velvet case--but my mother has misplaced it, and the memory it is somewhere in her house. How might I go about learning more?

You can try to find a Facebook or Reddit group of Swedish military weeaboos and post as sharp and clear of a picture as you can manage. Also try and remember the color of the ribbon, that can be important, as well as the actual color or type of metal (bronze? Silver?)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

could it be the Carl XV medal from the 1866 agricultural exhibition?
https://www.aktiesamlaren.se/numismatik/medaljer/medaljer/kungligt.htm (about mid page, search XV and its the second)

But yeah. Serendipity is a good word.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Oracle posted:

I have an account there, just the free one right now, and I never got the email. I tried to search but I'm still locked out of the good stuff.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gravitee posted:

I have an account there, just the free one right now, and I never got the email. I tried to search but I'm still locked out of the good stuff.

Same :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

could it be the Carl XV medal from the 1866 agricultural exhibition?
https://www.aktiesamlaren.se/numismatik/medaljer/medaljer/kungligt.htm (about mid page, search XV and its the second)

But yeah. Serendipity is a good word.

By Jove, I think you've got it! Very much appreciated!

Oracle posted:

You can try to find a Facebook or Reddit group of Swedish military weeaboos and post as sharp and clear of a picture as you can manage. Also try and remember the color of the ribbon, that can be important, as well as the actual color or type of metal (bronze? Silver?)

Bronze on a blue ribbon. But the reverse engravings above trigger my memories correctly.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gravitee posted:

Let me see if the link from what I got will work for you.

Try this link

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Try this link

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Seems to be working, thanks!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

works for me too :)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What relation is my great-grandfather's first cousin to me?

I've found a lot of articles concerning my GG (who was a lieutenant-governor), and quite a few about his cousin, who was an Arctic Explorer (and his cousin's uncle, who was part of the Canadian Arctic Expedition).

Thanks again for the heads-up about newspapers.com, I've spent a lot of hours finding great stuff including this from 12/23/1920:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What relation is my great-grandfather's first cousin to me?
Good ol' cousin chart says...
first cousin 3x removed

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! I had looked at a couple other charts but that one made it click for me.

Next question: what relation is that cousin's uncle to me? I'm thinking first cousin 4x removed if I'm reading that chart correctly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I just found out that a distant cousin* applied for social security in 1969.

However, everything I can find has him living in Denmark until he died 1975. He was a doctor and did participate in some research groups and conferences in America, but I find it hard to fit in any longer stays.

Could you even get social security without being a citizen at that time?

e: according to the chart, he was my 1st cousin thrice removed :)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 17, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

I just found out that a distant cousin* applied for social security in 1969.

However, everything I can find has him living in Denmark until he died 1975. He was a doctor and did participate in some research groups and conferences in America, but I find it hard to fit in any longer stays.

Could you even get social security without being a citizen at that time?

e: according to the chart, he was my 1st cousin thrice removed :)

Was he married to an American or anything like that?

Huh. Apparently you didn't have to be a citizen or present legal alien prior to Dec. 1996.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

No, his wife was Danish as well. The closest you can get to that is him being a cousin of the two brothers I've mentioned that went to Canada in 1929. I don't know if he even knew them.

He must have been abroad for a while if he found it necessary. We've had universal healthcare since 1971, with a more limited system of public health care prior to that, that he might have been too well-off to qualify for. Anyway, I assume it didn't cover you in America then either (you take out travel insurance instead), so I guess he was just being careful (he was 73 in '69).

Thanks! :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh! Perhaps some of his professional accolades would qualify him?

Honorary Member of the American Association for the Study of Headache 1964
Member of the Research Group on Migraine and Headache of the World Federation of Neurology 1968

Stuff like that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Member of the Research Group on Migraine and Headache of the World Federation of Neurology 1968

Stuff like that.

Nah. You have to have to worked (legally, and thus paid in via taxes) for a certain amount of time in the U.S., maybe 10 years? Its probably changed since the 60s as well. Is it possible he had a paid position on a board in the U.S. somewhere? Otherwise they do mention edge cases of further distant relatives being eligible for survivor's benefits (e.g. grandchildren).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ah ok. yeah, it being board memberships or some other paid position makes sense.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Stuff like that.

If he received any sort of financial reward for these awards or grants or the like the Soc would have been necessary to file taxes on it.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Ah ok. yeah, it being board memberships or some other paid position makes sense.

Yeah that.

e;fb :negative:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thanks for confirming tho! :tipshat:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

I love the cousin chart. I get to break it out every time I try to explain any relation on my mom's side to my husband.
"So, I was talking to my cousin Jane on Facebook..."
"I don't know her. Which of your mother's sisters does she go with?"
"Well, technically, she's not my cousin. She's my half-first cousin once removed."
"What?!!"
"Let me get the chart again."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

I love the cousin chart. I get to break it out every time I try to explain any relation on my mom's side to my husband.
"So, I was talking to my cousin Jane on Facebook..."
"I don't know her. Which of your mother's sisters does she go with?"
"Well, technically, she's not my cousin. She's my half-first cousin once removed."
"What?!!"
"Let me get the chart again."

I have to break it out every time because I can't keep it all straight either haha.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Since part of my family is Faroese, we use some extra fancy words for our relations (I think they're also still used in Norwegian, but they went out of use in Denmark centuries ago):

- Fætter/kusine = first cousin (male/female), same as in Danish*, but:
- Tremænding = second cousin (neutral gender), older spelling (which I prefer) is tremenning
- Firmænding = third cousin, etc

A translation for tremenning would be something like "third-relation". I think the reason they're offset from English is because we go "vertically" instead of "laterally" — ie. counting up to the common ancestor (great grandparent) is 3 steps, instead of going one step out from 1st cousin to 2nd.

On the whole, Scandinavian relationship terms are much more specific than in English or French. See also mormor = maternal grandma (literally mom-mom), farbror** = paternal uncle, søsterdatter = sister's daughter = niece***, etc. There are also Danish halv- and grandfætter/-kusine which are kind of a mess and can mean second cousin and first cousin once removed, kinda like great cousin/uncle are misused a lot.

I suppose they also have similarly specific words in Iceland. It can be pretty important in small isolated communities!

* cousins could also in older Danish be called næstsøskende = next-siblings, and second cousins næstsøskendebarn = next-sibling-child, but my impression is that these were legal terms.

** weirdly, farbror, while literally meaning "father's brother", can be used in Sweden as "adult male friend of the family" so a single mother might introduce her boyfriend to her kids as "farbror ___" (or at least thats the impression i got from watching swedish children's tv as a kid) :pwn:

*** the ones that go "up" (parents, uncles) are more commonly used than the ones that go "down" (nieces, nephews), but all are easily understood. As a genealogist, I will readily use like mormorfarbror for mom's mom's dad's brother, idgaf

e: it would be fun to read a proper linguist paper on scandinavian relationship terms, wonder if google scholar has any

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 19, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
It’s complicated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOi2c2d3_Lk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Interesting that the systems are all named after indiginous peoples/languages. I suppose the anthropologists or linguists who categorized them considered them more "pure" as opposed to the indo-european languages. I mean, I generally expect old linguistic stuff to be like Germanic, Latin, Slavic, etc

I would have liked more examples of languages for each system. I just go "oh that makes sense" for all of them but I don't have anything to connect it to. I guess Scandinavian is a Sudanese system?

But thanks for the clip, there's a lot to google here :D

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

Interesting that the systems are all named after indiginous peoples/languages. I suppose the anthropologists or linguists who categorized them considered them more "pure" as opposed to the indo-european languages. I mean, I generally expect old linguistic stuff to be like Germanic, Latin, Slavic, etc

I would have liked more examples of languages for each system. I just go "oh that makes sense" for all of them but I don't have anything to connect it to. I guess Scandinavian is a Sudanese system?

But thanks for the clip, there's a lot to google here :D

Seems like Scandinavian is a Sudanese system. I *think* that the Sudanese system is the most common, but it's hard to tell because every article seems to use a different measure (population, societies, geographic distribution, etc.). Even though I actually think it makes a ton of sense to distinguish maternal from paternal relatives, in practice I collapse generational distinctions. Everyone's either an aunt, uncle, cousin, or grandparent in conversation. Besides, we can always break out the chart if we need to be specific. :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone going to Rootstech Connect? Its free and online this year and I've been going through the catalog and already have over a dozen talks picked out. There's a bunch of stuff people here might find interesting including talks on researching in the Phillipines and the Caribbean and DNA everything and reading script of various languages and man, just you name it, they have something on it. Its nuts how big this catalog is. You can find it here and browse and see if anything catches your fancy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh also:

MyHeritage is offering free uploads and access to their DNA tools:
For a limited time only, between February 21–28, 2021, we are waiving the unlock fee! You can now upload your DNA data and get access to all advanced DNA tools for these files - forever!
https://www.myheritage.com/dna/upload

Instructions:
https://faq.myheritage.com/en/article/how-can-i-upload-a-dna-file-to-myheritage

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Oracle posted:

Anyone going to Rootstech Connect? Its free and online this year and I've been going through the catalog and already have over a dozen talks picked out. There's a bunch of stuff people here might find interesting including talks on researching in the Phillipines and the Caribbean and DNA everything and reading script of various languages and man, just you name it, they have something on it. Its nuts how big this catalog is. You can find it here and browse and see if anything catches your fancy.

I know one of the presenters this year and if everyone is as good as she is, those talks should be terrific.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
For us mutt Americans, https://www.americanancestors.org puts on online classes too. I took one recently on writing your family history. It was $125ish. Over five weeks they went through organizing data, writing, adding images, and then publishing.

I think that's the next step for me. I'm thinking more specifically about adding to my family's story by getting context about social and political reasons things may have happened, rather than just collecting names and dates.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Oracle posted:

Oh also:

MyHeritage is offering free uploads and access to their DNA tools:
For a limited time only, between February 21–28, 2021, we are waiving the unlock fee! You can now upload your DNA data and get access to all advanced DNA tools for these files - forever!
https://www.myheritage.com/dna/upload

Instructions:
https://faq.myheritage.com/en/article/how-can-i-upload-a-dna-file-to-myheritage

Oh man, if I could get my Ancestry results in time for this I'd be all over it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Oh man, if I could get my Ancestry results in time for this I'd be all over it.

I just got my results last week. They received it Jan. 13th.

I sent it in end of December.

Course that was after the Christmas rush so maybe they’re back to normal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ooh the RootsTech deals are starting to roll out. If you've been interested in trying RootsMagic (software program that you can access ancestry/familysearch/myheritage/I forget what others with, download the actual media files from those sites and keep your backup local, updating those sites as you go) they have a great deal related to the conferences. For 20 bucks you get the software, a copy of the book on how to use it and you'll get RootsMagic 8 when it comes out (hopefully later this year).

quote:

While RootsTech Connect does have a virtual expo hall, we've been putting all of our time and efforts towards getting RootsMagic 8 ready and, unfortunately, don't have a virtual booth this year.

However, we're pleased to offer our users the same special discount that we usually give at the in-person RootsTech event. You'll get RootsMagic 7 Download and Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic 7 eBook (a $45 value) for only $20!

Plus, you will receive a free download of RootsMagic 8 when it is released (currently in Community Preview). This means that you can reserve a future copy of Version 8 at today's lower Version 7 price!

Click here for this deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ok so! RootsTech was pretty standard online stuff, but you can STILL VIEW THE VIDEOS ONLINE. You can find them here:

https://www.familysearch.org/rootstech/rtc2021/search

Some of them are thinly-disguised product ads (as one might expect from a conference) and a lot are very basic level stuff, but they do have good deep dives and if you've ever been confused by genetic genealogy there are a LOT of good videos for beginners. They also have multiple languages so if English isn't your first know that there are others available (lots of Dutch/German/other European languages, a few African languages, Asian, lots of Spanish etc).