Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Built a nice new house to replace my noob shack... my campfires are too far away, I stick one on the floor underneath my bed and it keeps dying out. Do fires get smothered by smoke? How do I help vent it outside?

Create an opening on your roof. Put some construction like some beams on top to create a raised area and then re-roof. Smoke should pour out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Asciana posted:

Create an opening on your roof. Put some construction like some beams on top to create a raised area and then re-roof. Smoke should pour out.

It has to be high enough to be the roof? I can vent my regular cooking campfires just fine, but I guess my bed is *juuust* out of reach of those. :(

I can figure out a more creative way to hide a nearby campfire.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yes, they have to be either 5 or 6 pieces away from contact with the ground or it'll collapse. This is why the 4m core wood poles are so useful, they let you get higher with fewer pieces.

The color of a piece you're snapping to will indicate what happens. If it's red, anything you add is gonna break.

To add to this, once you reach stonebuilding any wooden pieces connected to a stone piece will count as being attached to the ground itself, letting you build higher or more elaborate structures. So, depending on the height of your bridge, you could use stone pillars as the base of your core wood pole supports and then the poles would count as touching the ground, letting you place another piece or two up top without it being too unstable.

Note that stone pieces connected together still follow the usual stability rules for# of pieces away from the ground, and generally need to be supported by the ground or underlying stone structures themselves or they'll immediately collapse. It's not a way to build infinitely tall structures or use 1x1 stone blocks to build without limits, but 4x2 stone walls, stone pillars, and core wood poles together can help you make a good size bridge or 2-3 story keep and not have trouble finishing up the roof or center of a floor in an upper story.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 20, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Debug mode + infinite resources rules for making big projects. Whatever there's no way in gently caress I could have mined enough stuff to build this but had a blast making it. I wanted a place to offload my ship after iron runs and I think this will do nicely :)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Protocol7 posted:

It has to be high enough to be the roof? I can vent my regular cooking campfires just fine, but I guess my bed is *juuust* out of reach of those. :(

I can figure out a more creative way to hide a nearby campfire.

I don't want to tell you how to design your stuff but why hide the fire when you can make it a feature?

If it's not patched, place two beams down and you can place a campfire on top of it. Frame it with some half-walls and you got a nice hearth going.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I don't want to tell you how to design your stuff but why hide the fire when you can make it a feature?

If it's not patched, place two beams down and you can place a campfire on top of it. Frame it with some half-walls and you got a nice hearth going.

Alas, it's patched. Unless you mean specifically using the old version somehow.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I cannot get over how much Drakes are just straight-up Oblivion cliff racers. The game is awesome, but holy poo poo the mountain is annoying to mine.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Audio on:

https://i.imgur.com/gtkFAQ0.mp4

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
On the subject of tree physics, after figuring out i could walk a log up a slope and let it smash down into a birch for a slightly more targeted Tree Physics i am feeling very smug about the finewood bow i got Slightly Earlier Than I Was Supposed to. Honestly probably wasn't worth the time I spent on it, but it feels good to have "outsmarted" the game.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Our group just finished boss 2 and are starting to poke into the swamp, and I can already see that transporting iron is going to be a challenge. Our black forest mines were close enough that it was fairly easy to make a road and do cart runs for ores, but I don't think that will cut it for the distance between home base and the swamp.

Do you folks bother to set up full blown metal processing outposts, or is it more standard to just transport everything back to a main base via boat?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'm just starting to move into Bronze in my solo save and I just now figured out that you can repair tools :shepface:

I had chests full of broken tools, somehow I just never thought to click on the floating hammer.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How are you guy transporting silver from bumfuck, mountain to a base? I keep thinking I should flatten a road and build some carts, but given the extreme distance between mountains I'm kinda assuming that carrying it on foot (or using a second world to mule/teleport it) would be way easier.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Midgetskydiver posted:

I think I had the exact same experience. It does work now.

I think it's dumb the pigs won't eat yellow mushrooms or honey though.

Have you tried feeding them raw meat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUynRdzzsM

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's so cool being able to play a game that's this fun with this many people in one room chilling and doing whatever they want. That said, we wanted to dabble in PvP. Two men enter, one man leaves.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Hours and hours in the swamps (I'm actually up to Mountain-level gear now), and I just found turnip seeds there for the first time. Makes me wonder what I've missed from the other biomes.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Preem Palver posted:

To add to this, once you reach stonebuilding any wooden pieces connected to a stone piece will count as being attached to the ground itself, letting you build higher or more elaborate structures. So, depending on the height of your bridge, you could use stone pillars as the base of your core wood pole supports and then the poles would count as touching the ground, letting you place another piece or two up top without it being too unstable.

Note that stone pieces connected together still follow the usual stability rules for# of pieces away from the ground, and generally need to be supported by the ground or underlying stone structures themselves or they'll immediately collapse. It's not a way to build infinitely tall structures or use 1x1 stone blocks to build without limits, but 4x2 stone walls, stone pillars, and core wood poles together can help you make a good size bridge or 2-3 story keep and not have trouble finishing up the roof or center of a floor in an upper story.

I did a little bit of testing out of curiosity, got onto my cheat world where I test things out, turned on debug mode and flight.

I just stacked up 4x2 and 2x1 stone next to each other until the top piece broke, looks like height per block doesn't matter for stone. The clear winner in cheap materials here is the core wood log column, you can get much taller using it. The stone columns were just checking to make sure they weren't special. However:

Iron-bound columns absolutely crush all of the competition. It even takes awhile for the top one to break.

All in all, there's something else going on beyond the "# of pieces to connect to the ground" rule, because iron bound columns are half the height of the log poles, yet can reach twice the height in stacking before breaking. The stone also doesn't operate under that rule either, otherwise the 4x2 would reach twice as high. I'm sure someone will figure it out eventually, and at least part of it seems to be a simple number of parts to ground rule, but there's more to it.

Also, the color of stone blocks changed to green right after the second one, so it's still definitely losing structural integrity as soon as it's not supported directly by the ground.

edit: Throwing wood columns on stone gets you another 2 logs worth of height:

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 20, 2021

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Haha, very nice :allears:

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Game is really fun. It's funny to me, though, how reddit is gushing over the "sheer beauty" of the graphics, then post some incredibly washed out image of some God rays and pixel grass. It looks like Quake III Arena with some default Unity engine post processing. And Vaseline smeared over my eyes. For real, turn off depth of field so you can actually see. While you're at it, turn off screen shake because we're in third person POV, wtf who does this.

Edit: the graphics are fine and serve the game well. Just not "i cri evryteim" there's a sunset.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Double posting, but one thing I do love is how the weather and sailing works. How I yearn to see a cyclone or tornado to form up on the horizon :allears: Maybe in a future update.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

central dogma posted:

Game is really fun. It's funny to me, though, how reddit is gushing over the "sheer beauty" of the graphics, then post some incredibly washed out image of some God rays and pixel grass. It looks like Quake III Arena with some default Unity engine post processing. And Vaseline smeared over my eyes. For real, turn off depth of field so you can actually see. While you're at it, turn off screen shake because we're in third person POV, wtf who does this.

Edit: the graphics are fine and serve the game well. Just not "i cri evryteim" there's a sunset.

It's definitely one of those games that look better in motion in game than it does in screenshots, in my opinion.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Are there any goon discords for this game?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Playing in cheat/creative sandbox mode and have been having a blast making this castle.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Where is this shield customization button? Do you have to level up your forge past lvl 2?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Holy poo poo snacks I was not ready for the swamp. Thankfully it's right next to the portal I set up to fight the Elder.

I thought the leeches would be much smaller :stare:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Sachant posted:

Playing in cheat/creative sandbox mode and have been having a blast making this castle.

Those turrets are gorgeous. How did you get them to curve like that?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
You can get a good-enough approximation of rounded forms by just setting down a foundation where you roll one notch on the mouse wheel to slightly rotate each segment until you complete the circle.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pen Expers posted:

Where is this shield customization button? Do you have to level up your forge past lvl 2?

It's not on every shield (eg bronze buckler doesn't have the option) but wood shield and tower shield have a little "Style" button right next to the name of the item iin the forge/workbench.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Can I plant carrot seeds directly in my boar pen so they sort of "auto feed", or would they trample the plants preventing them from growing?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Starting over with a friend or two on a new server, I got killed right next to my black forest outpost so I was bitter and spent the rest of the day fortifying it a tiny bit. I totally slept on manipulating the terrain on the previous server so now I'm very enthusiastic about moats and elevated barriers. I still gotta work on the actual base part of it.

Furism posted:

Can I plant carrot seeds directly in my boar pen so they sort of "auto feed", or would they trample the plants preventing them from growing?

afaict boars don't interact with planted stuff at all. I've had a tame hungry boar hanging out by my carrot field and the carrots were unimpressed.

Scoss posted:

Do you folks bother to set up full blown metal processing outposts, or is it more standard to just transport everything back to a main base via boat?

Omi no Kami posted:

How are you guy transporting silver from bumfuck, mountain to a base? I keep thinking I should flatten a road and build some carts, but given the extreme distance between mountains I'm kinda assuming that carrying it on foot (or using a second world to mule/teleport it) would be way easier.

Just reporting how our server handled it: We ended up consuming most metals almost right where we mined them. The exceptions are a tiny amount of iron for a stonecutter in the home base (ultimately only used so I could put our portal array on stone bases instead of the dirt), taking some metals with us when starting up new bases, and one relatively short ride from a nearby swamp to the plains base with our fully upgraded forge in preparation for the last boss. Apart from that we built bronze things in our pre-Elder outpost, iron things in the two swamp bases, silver in bases on or right next to the two mountains we mined out (one pictured in a previous post here), and all black metal :black101: in our final plains base.

We only did the one explicit non-discovery-voyage iron supply run, we played around with carts briefly but really only used them for stocking up on wood, and we never built any roads. I think most people weren't really feeling the sailing thing or were afraid of it after kinda catastrophic early attempts, and I think our bases were also way too far apart for no good reason besides not very systematic exploration. I'd have liked to sail more and build out our main base more, instead we ended up with a large but mostly inert main base and extremely cramped but functional outposts, and lots of "hey where do I go to build ______ right now".

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Also, I really hope they fix pathing soon because it makes combat janky to the point of annoyance for me. Combined with the fact that an enemy aggro you every minute, I would say that's the part of the game I like the least.

I'd rather have less enemies but more of a threat than bullshit underpowered enemies that aggro you all the time, too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Furism posted:

Also, I really hope they fix pathing soon because it makes combat janky to the point of annoyance for me. Combined with the fact that an enemy aggro you every minute, I would say that's the part of the game I like the least.

I'd rather have less enemies but more of a threat than bullshit underpowered enemies that aggro you all the time, too.

You are going to love the fourth and fifth biome

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Furism posted:

Earlier, a tree club troll felled a tree next to some other trees and then refused to path over the fallen tree; cheesed him to death by repeatedly moving a meter back and forth and he'd path the long way around instead of just walking over it.

But the aggroed greydwarfs are the worst. Try to aim with the bow and they change direction just as I fire, every loving time. Starting to wonder if it's deliberate.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ambaire posted:

Earlier, a tree club troll felled a tree next to some other trees and then refused to path over the fallen tree; cheesed him to death by repeatedly moving a meter back and forth and he'd path the long way around instead of just walking over it.

But the aggroed greydwarfs are the worst. Try to aim with the bow and they change direction just as I fire, every loving time. Starting to wonder if it's deliberate.

At some point I realized that greydwarves were doing fractional damage (0.1 dmg per hit or something) and now I kind of just don't even pay attention to them.

Edit: there should be an enemy ai mod where if a creature does less than 1 damage on a strike it just backs up slowly and leaves.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do tamed animals starve to death? Figured I had less wolves around than last time I passed through, and I picked up 2x wolf furs, so I imagine they died somehow.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Taking a leaf out of UnReal World's book, I think it'd be great if they added the ability to do little rituals where you offered up a bunch of your useless greydwarf eyes or resin or whatever for some boon. I want to propitiate Njord so he can unfuck the wind for just a few drat minutes please!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Do tamed animals starve to death? Figured I had less wolves around than last time I passed through, and I picked up 2x wolf furs, so I imagine they died somehow.

No. Something killed them. Most likely graydwarves threw enough stones into your paddock to pulp the beasts.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Spanish Matlock posted:

Edit: there should be an enemy ai mod where if a creature does less than 1 damage on a strike it just backs up slowly and leaves.

There must be some way the game figures out the player's and mobs "power level", just don't make them aggro if the difference is too big. EverQuest did this 22 years ago, and other RPGs probably before as well.

Yes i know it's early access, I just hope they patch this soon because it's hyper annoying. Or just fix the loving pathing at least.

E: IIRC the way it was actually coded in EQ was that the aggro radius got smaller and smaller as the player level relative to the mob increased. And vice versa.

Furism fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 20, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve seen folks asking about hosting servers in a few places and figured I’d share something I typed up for another group of folks here should it be of any usage. Friends don’t let friends pay a premium for hosted servers.

So you want to host a Valhiem (or other game) server
There are a few different ways to skin this cat, but I generally recommend using a Google Cloud Virtual Machine (VPS) for a few different reasons. The first being that you get $300 in credit for 90 days that does not auto charge you at the end of that period. The second being that opening parts of your network to the internet is a bad idea unless you're really careful. Doubly so as the game is hot as hell right now and may have some security issues that haven't been found/addressed. Third, your upstream is probably terrible unless you're lucky enough to have fiber or some other expensive internet plan. The following steps assume you're using powershell or some bash terminal on your local machine. Don't use cmd, it's 2021 gramps.

Making a server
Head over to Google Cloud and make an account. It requires a google account (you already have one) and a credit card (you're here, so you have one). Sign up/in and you should be dumped to a portal of questionable UI/UX. Welcome to the cloud. On your computer (the thing you're using the browser on) make yourself a ssh key.
code:
ssh-keygen
in powershell or bash or whatever command line your OS uses should do the trick; just hit enter a bunch and use the default values. Once done enter the command
code:
cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
(works in everything) and copy the content somewhere; we'll need that in a minute.

Head back over to the Google Cloud portal you logged into a minute ago. If prompted, make a project with a name of your choosing and look around for something called 'Compute Engine', that's where the VM magic happens. Hit 'Create Instance' up at the top and we can start building out our VM. Your needs for VM "oomph" will vary from game to game, but VH is pretty light so we can get away with an e2-medium or standard for now. You've got more credit than you can burn for this trial so feel free to play around a bit. Name it if you want to and set your region to something centrally located to you and the folks likely to play on the server.

For your boot disk I recommend going with Unbuntu 20.04 LTS, but you're free to go with something different if desired; it's largely preference but stick to a LTS of some kind. You can leave the boot disk size and type as default for now. Click the 'Management, Security, ect' drop down and head over to the security tab. Under 'SSH Keys' you'll see a box asking for a public SSH key, paste in that command output we saved earlier. Hit create and wait a minute or two, you now have a cloud server, ain't that neat?

Accessing your server and setting this nonsense up
Grap the 'External IP' address from the portal the browser dumps you to and head back over to your Powershell/Bash/whatever instance you were using earlier. Enter
code:
ssh [The External IP Address]
and through the magic of ssh key authentication you'll now be sitting in your shiny new VPS. Neat! Time to get a game server set up. The fine folks over at LinuxGSM have made this idiot proof and fast. Details can be found at: https://linuxgsm.com/lgsm/vhserver/ but it amounts to running (assuming Ubuntu and that you're acting as your default user, not vhserver)
code:
 sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt update; sudo apt install curl wget file tar bzip2 gzip unzip bsdmainutils python util-linux ca-certificates binutils bc jq tmux netcat lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 steamcmd libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 -y
to install some needed software (accept terms during the steamcmd portion), making a user
code:
sudo adduser vhserver
(create and write down a password, default/blank everything else is fine), changing to that user
code:
su - vhserver
installing linuxgsm's valhiem server manager
code:
wget -O linuxgsm.sh https[REPLACETHISWITH A COLONGODDAMNYOUAWFULAPPILOVEYOUBUTSTOPAUTOFORMATTINGINCODEBLOCKS]//linuxgsm.sh && chmod +x linuxgsm.sh && bash linuxgsm.sh vhserver
and then having it set up and install a server.
code:
./vhserver install
Now this just sets up a default instance with no password, so you may want to customize your server before starting it (see below). Follow the prompts and you have a fancy new Valheim server ready, but we need to let people, you know, actually connect to the ding dang thing.

Connecting to the ding dang thing
To the right of where you grabbed the external IP earlier, you should see three vertical dots. Give that a click and select 'View Network Details'. On the left select 'Firewall' and then 'Create Firewall Rule'. Name the rule something of your choosing and mosey down to "Targets" and change it to "All Instances in the Network". Move down to "Source IP Ranges" and enter in
code:
0.0.0.0/0
so anyone trying to access the ports we're about to designate will be able to. Under "Protocols and Ports" check the "TCP" and "UDP" box (iirc VH only uses UDP, but let's cover our bases) and enter in 2456-2457 for both. Save the rule.

Now once we get the server started you can enter in [External IP]:2457 into the game to connect to your server. Neato.

Customizing your Server
You likely don't want a default server instance with no password sitting around. Let's fix that. In your server enter the command
code:
vi ~/lgsm/config-lgsm/vhserver/vhserver.cfg
and then press i. Navigate to the bottom of the doc and on a new line enter in the following (note the contents of brackets ( [ ] ) are to be replaced with your values. EG - servername="lowtaxisafatbitchbaby"):
code:
servername="[The name you want for your server]"
serverpassword="[Password of your choosing]"
port="2456"
gameworld="[The server's world seed, can be whatever you want within reason]"
public="1"
Press Escape and Shift + Z Z to exit and save.
Type in
code:
./vhserver start
give it a minute and your server will be accessible via the IP address, port, and password you set up.
There's more to be had here about stuff like setting up admins and whatnot, but if you're hosting with a friend or two you should be fine with this. If you're going for a public world with no pass then you're on your own there friend.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 23, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

does this game rule rear end? Does it rock your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I did a little bit of testing out of curiosity, got onto my cheat world where I test things out, turned on debug mode and flight.

I just stacked up 4x2 and 2x1 stone next to each other until the top piece broke, looks like height per block doesn't matter for stone. The clear winner in cheap materials here is the core wood log column, you can get much taller using it. The stone columns were just checking to make sure they weren't special. However:

Iron-bound columns absolutely crush all of the competition. It even takes awhile for the top one to break.

All in all, there's something else going on beyond the "# of pieces to connect to the ground" rule, because iron bound columns are half the height of the log poles, yet can reach twice the height in stacking before breaking. The stone also doesn't operate under that rule either, otherwise the 4x2 would reach twice as high. I'm sure someone will figure it out eventually, and at least part of it seems to be a simple number of parts to ground rule, but there's more to it.

Also, the color of stone blocks changed to green right after the second one, so it's still definitely losing structural integrity as soon as it's not supported directly by the ground.

edit: Throwing wood columns on stone gets you another 2 logs worth of height:

i saw some photos of people using the normal wood to get really high structures but in like, a goddamn 2x2 reinforced box structure (like you'd see in a real world) and my new hypothesis is that each piece has a structural integrity 'cost' that is deducted by distance to ground, height, etc. if there's too many costs it breaks. so then you could incorporate factors like material strength and also reinforcement, which reduce the cost.

i just made this up but it'd be interesting to test out