Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Niric posted:

Have you just been reading the irrationally irritating movie moments thread too?

no that's a coincidence. like the other day when i heard about jam and toast tea on radio 2 at work, then that evening it was a question on the chase

or like how there was a question on the chase that same day i think about the film "the witness" starring harrison ford and it's on TV now

makes you think, that kind of thing

i like the chase lol that bradley is a right card, he gets into some kinks there reading naughty meanings into some of those questions!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
some milk men here back in the day apparently used to serve as couriers for the paramilitaries, lol

prob how they got all those milk bottles for the petrol bombs

like presumably if you stopped leaving out your empties you'd have got into bother

... with the milkman, also good chance you'd get into bother for lobbing them at the british army or whatever

crispix fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 20, 2021

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

what would be your favourite olden days job for to do?

Barmaid. I mean, I know you still get barmaids now but I mean specifically in the way olden days, serving ale at one of those taverns that's in the middle of nowhere at a random crossroads.

That or something to do with falconry. Like a falconer, or just any job, but with added falcons.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i like falcons

there are buzzards and kestrels around here and i could sit and watch them for hours. there's a wood where they nest and sometimes you can hear their babies, they make an incredible shriek

turning and turning in the widening gyre says he

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
when I was a postman I used to imagine it being the apocalypse future where we didnt need letters anymore because of faxes but we still had postmen because people needed something to keep them busy so it was like a desperate band of brothers wwII thing with way unnecessary desperate risk taking postmen in spitfires delivering the innovations catalogue to brains in a jar humans in the last lost decrepit bungalows with anachronistically mundane really boring cul-de-sac names.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

when I was a postman I used to imagine it being the apocalypse future where we didnt need letters anymore because of faxes but we still had postmen because people needed something to keep them busy so it was like a desperate band of brothers wwII thing with way unnecessary desperate risk taking postmen in spitfires delivering the innovations catalogue to brains in a jar humans in the last lost decrepit bungalows with anachronistically mundane really boring cul-de-sac names.

You should consider played Death Stranding.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

josh04 posted:

You should consider played Death Stranding.

That's a very mean post.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

That's a very mean post.
Ehh. People dunked on it because they were expecting 'Metal Gear 6: Kevin Costner's the Postman edition' and instead got 'the lake district except OH GOD IT STARTED CLICKING THROW PISS AT IT.'

I mean if someone wanted to experience post apocalyptic truckin simulator but on foot, boy is this the game for you.

I liked the music and the rebuilding stuff. The lil baby dude made me broody as hell. That's my review. Full disclosure I play Destiny 2 so you should not listen to my video game opinions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

'the lake district except OH GOD IT STARTED CLICKING THROW PISS AT IT.'
Except?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is definitely worth playing I think, and the story is maximum loving kojima, absolutely insane.

It's not a perfect game but it is very ambitious and is good enough at pulling off what it's trying to do, that you feel like the time you spent with it was worthwhile, I think.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

It is definitely worth playing I think, and the story is maximum loving kojima, absolutely insane.

It's not a perfect game but it is very ambitious and is good enough at pulling off what it's trying to do, that you feel like the time you spent with it was worthwhile, I think.

i still need to beat 5, although i hear the second half and end of that game are very disappointing. i suspect i'll wind up playing DS when it's a fiver or less on steam.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Isomermaid posted:

Barmaid. I mean, I know you still get barmaids now but I mean specifically in the way olden days, serving ale at one of those taverns that's in the middle of nowhere at a random crossroads.

That or something to do with falconry. Like a falconer, or just any job, but with added falcons.

I think you mean a serving wench.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Isomermaid posted:

Falcon Fluffer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Reveilled posted:

Yeah. I think their fatal mistake was looking at the Stringfellows case and assuming the courts would be 100% down with their bullshit.

The Stringfellows case was a similar action brought against Stringfellows, who, similar to Uber, argued that the dancers in their establishments were not employees, but rather self-employed contractors who formed contracts with customers, meaning that Stringfellows basically had zero obligation to them, as theirs was just a venue in which these contractors could operate. The court actually agreed with this argument, primarily on the basis that the dancers could set their own rates, and that customers could establish long-standing "business" relationships with the dancers that could be pursued outside of the club.

So Uber waltzed into the tribunal and advanced the Stringfellows argument, and the court mercilessly dunked on them because the two elements which formed the basis of that judgement were two of the very things which Uber was asserting control over. It's less apparent in today's judgement, but the original 2016 ruling was positively dripping with contempt from the tribunal.

Worth a read if you've got time for seeing the gig economy legalistically ripped apart:
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/aslam-and-farrar-v-uber-reasons-20161028.pdf

Unrelated but the head of the Board of Deputies represented string fellows in this case and brags about it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Terfs appear to be having some sort of meltdown about the census

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1363047653030977536?s=19

Love too be outflanked to the left by the Tories

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1362842167027396610

lmao Labour is back to just being a money laundering front.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jose posted:

Terfs appear to be having some sort of meltdown about the census

Yeah it's been happening for a while now they are angry that they have a question asking if you're trans on it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Every morning I wake up and open palm slam an ideology into my brain. It's fairness doctrine and right then and there I start considering that maybe I've been excessive and biased in my characterization of Europe. Then Macron tweets

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1362845431210860548

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boy it's a good thing the fascist didn't win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1362778317091397640?s=19

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

It’s also such bullshit. Will choke off growth my arse. It’s a 4% increase on tax on profits, not revenues. If you make a profit you have to give up a tiny bit more. I operate through a company and have no complaint about paying more. It’s ludicrously low.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But company directors might avoid taxes by reinvesting in their businesses and staff. We should not tax them at all so they'll choose to voluntarily invest more in their businesses and staff! :eng99:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Every morning I wake up and open palm slam an ideology into my brain. It's fairness doctrine and right then and there I start considering that maybe I've been excessive and biased in my characterization of Europe. Then Macron tweets

It's good that instead of thinking up new ways to be racist the Nazi's just picked up their entire shtick and just changed "Judaism" to "Islam".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Universities are copying things from America such as, uh, tolerating races (bad) and gender theory (the bad genders), so let's copy 'irrational fear of something I just made up called Islamo-Communism' from Rush Limbaugh and shout about it."

The French Presidential Election 2022:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Huh, interesting parallel with what's going on in the Uk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting that they went with Islamo-leftism as their version of cultural-Marxism.

It's got a refreshing retro feel to it. Like 90s Quavers retro rather than 30s bad flags retro, even though both came from the exact same brain smoothing facility.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even know what the gently caress "islamo leftism" would be, is there some sort of liberation theology equivalent that exists?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm a non-practising Orthodox Judeo-centrist

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress "islamo leftism" would be, is there some sort of liberation theology equivalent that exists?

I find leftism scary and I don't view Muslims as people and I want a theory that says I'm basically correct for this take.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the leftists want to take our precious things and let the deviants come into our changing rooms for to peep at our boobs and fannies :mad:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, I can see a leftist movement doing a lot with zakat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress "islamo leftism" would be
Bad things op.

Like feminazism. And postmodern neomarxism. But more racist.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Capitalism is haram

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

it is always about algeria

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

frst they came for the muslamics, and i did not speak out because i did not have a ray gun

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

it is always about algeria
i heard it's muslim for 'the geria'. :ohdear:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My pro-geria philosophy has aged poorly

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We are just gonna get the nazis and islamists retconned into being woke leftists, I've seen that kinda take on Facebook and the mainstream media is gonna start leaning into it as we get more racist/often complex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

We are just gonna get the nazis and islamists retconned into being woke leftists, I've seen that kinda take on Facebook and the mainstream media is gonna start leaning into it as we get more racist/often complex

I mean this is already the case with the "dangerous radical left" and our calls to "punch nazis" and "equality for all"